Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: jthursby Magnacore wires too long? - 07/20/06 07:37 PM
As it says I have sent my wires back to Steve at Magnacore to try and figure out why the boots seem 5mm too long. He claims to never seen this before. Why, if I'm running the same plugs as everyone are my boots too tall? When we get heavy rains (every day in FL) I get misfires. I checked the height of Ford plugs, Autolites, and even Champions and they were all the same height. I'm at a loss and so is Magnacore.

Jim T.

And yes they are seated all the way.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/20/06 07:52 PM
Yep. Search and you'll see they fit like crap. Such a shame for such a nice wire.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 03:54 PM
Well, after conversing with Steve at Magnacore a few times this week (he still claims I'm the first to have this problem) he is going to install new boots on my wires with the ferrule set 5mm deeper into the boot. This should solve my wet weather misfire/stumbling problem but at a $25.00 cost to me and a week with the wires back at Magnacore. I'm not pissed, but I'm not happy either.

Jim T

I'm going to regap my plugs as they only have 8 thousand on them, what are most of you running for gaps? recommended? less? more?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 04:16 PM
Originally posted by jthursby:

I'm going to regap my plugs as they only have 8 thousand on them, what are most of you running for gaps? recommended? less? more?

.054 Same as factory spec.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 04:47 PM
Originally posted by todras:

.054 Same as factory spec.

Smartass, I only asked if somebody found a BETTER range than that.

Jim T.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 04:59 PM

Smartass, I only asked if somebody found a BETTER range than that.

Jim T.

Better than a dumbass. Are you running boost? If not than factory spec. Nothing better than how Ford engineered the engine.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 05:01 PM
Sounds to me like you asked what everyone was running, and he told you what he was running. Factory is recommended. 99% of people here are also running factory spec, unless they are FI.

Dont ask if you dont want answers.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 05:41 PM
I asked a simple question that I did not believe required his sarcasm. end of story.
Had it been a face-to-face situation I'm sure he would not have rolled his eyes at me for asking.

Jim T.
Posted By: morbid Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 05:45 PM
They've never heard of this problem before?? Are they willing to update their wires?
Posted By: jthursby Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/24/06 05:48 PM
Steve @ Magnacore did say he would like to know if this is more widespread problem so that he could have an alternate set for guys that do have this problem. I really don't know how to clarify who has it and how to tell the differnce.

Jim T.
Posted By: morbid Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/25/06 09:42 PM
My complaints were:
1) that the shaft is too long (so the top doesn't correctly seal)
2) the rubber is too soft so it squishes up and is very difficult to snap them on to the plugs.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/26/06 12:05 PM
Originally posted by morbid:
My complaints were:
2) the rubber is too soft so it squishes up and is very difficult to snap them on to the plugs.

Interesting, Steve @ Magnacore claims that the boots are the exact same as the original Ford boots. From the same manufacturer and all. Anyone have a set of each to compare?

Jim T
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/26/06 01:28 PM
My complaints were:

Exactly the same complaints here. Searching back some posts will find the thread discussing this when I had my misfires.

Misfires started happening for me 1 month after installing, because of the boots not sitting flush on the valve covers. I replaced my plugs with Denso Iridiums, properly gapped, cleaned inside of boots thoroughly, and added dielectric grease. No misfires since. (knock on wood)

But with the poor fitment, I am worried it will happen again. I didn't have time to contact Magnecor about the fitment, so I just left it, but if a replacement is possible, that would be awesome.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/26/06 01:56 PM
mine fit prefectly.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/26/06 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
mine fit prefectly.

Thats the point, some do some dont. Tourige, can you measure the depth of your spark plug hole to the top of the raised edge?

Jim T
Posted By: morbid Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/26/06 06:22 PM
With a wire in one hand and a plug in the other, it was much more difficult to get them to snap on than the factory wires... or even the bosch wires I ended up getting. The connector in the magnacor would squish up into the rubber, requiring persistence and wobbling the wire top to get them to snap on... while holding both in my hands.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Magnacore wires too long? - 07/26/06 08:49 PM
My complaints were:

thought this was natural... shows how much I know. I was getting a misfire in cyn 1, but when i swapped the wire out and reset it it went away. all other wires seem to be the right length.
© CEG Archives