Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Bike2112 Ignition Coil - 06/20/06 09:45 PM
Did search

New plugs and wires are good. I am registering over 15 Ohms resistance on all 3 coil towers on my 2.5. Think I should get a new one??

Mike
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Ignition Coil - 06/20/06 10:11 PM
Sounds about right. What problems are you having?
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/20/06 10:37 PM
Well. I'm getting a cyl 1 misfire so I checked the coil just to see. The Haynes book said that it should be changed above an Ohm resistance of about 13.?? and I'm at about 15 Ohms across the board. My misfire is related to worn rings etc, but figured I should at least ask about the coil since it was out of spec. I know it won't fix my cyl 1 issue, but it is nice to fix parts out of spec.

Mike
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/22/06 02:43 AM
Update on Cyl 1 misfire. I am getting a P0301 cyl 1 misfire code. I replaced the plugs, checked wires, switched wires, replaced the coil and pulled the chip. I am still getting the P0301 code. The only thing I can think of is a possible fuel injector issue or PCm issue. I pulled the plug and stuck it back into the wire, out of the head and cranked the motor. I was getting spark and had some rags over the spark plug hole in hopes to catch some fuel. Well the rags did not have any fuel smell or fuel for that matter on them so I am thinking I may have a bad injector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/22/06 01:38 PM
Bear in mind that a P0301 misfire code could be due to a faulty No. 5 Injector (besides a faulty No. 1 Injector) as the ignition is a wastefire system. The only surefire way to find out is with a real time scan.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1217435&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/22/06 04:22 PM
Good threads. Thanks for the info. I am going to pull the UIM and injectors to see if they are clogged. I read a long time ago on some ways to clean the injectors at home with a 9v battery and some cleaner, but don't recall the exact method. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

P.S.- I should add that I pulled the 1 and 5 plugs to compare the way they looked. Again the plugs are new (1 week installed). The 1 plug has a light oil wash and a lot of carbon buil up already. The 5 plug looks normal.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Ignition Coil - 06/22/06 08:32 PM
Correct. If you get a cyl 1 misfire, it's probably injector problem. You can't have just one plug misfire since one coil powers two plugs. Time to clean the injectors.

Oh, and seek CEG advise first!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/23/06 12:02 AM
Then he can pull the intake manifold and swap the number one injector with the number two or something and then see if the misfire moves.

Maybe also should run a compression test to verify the engines state.
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/23/06 06:21 AM
I am in the process of pulling the injectors. Have the UIM/LIM fuel rail and injectors off. I stopped there and going to clean the injectors. I can't believe what the LIM looks like. It is a friggin mess on the secondary side. I did notice though, that my injectors have 4 holes on the output side of the injector like the cobra and ford gt, and not 2. Pretty cool. This will be a long project, but I will keep posted if anyone is interested.
Posted By: fordsvt98 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/24/06 07:38 AM
what color injectors do you have
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/24/06 04:35 PM
My Injectors are orange, from a 98 EO SVT

I have the UIM/LIM off and FUel rail and injector harness off and the injectors out. I flushed the injectors several times with 9v battery and injector cleaner forced through with compressor at about 100lbs going through the injectors. All 6 were opening and closing properly when the battery was attached to the terminals and seem to flow well. a fair amount of build up came out. Upon inspecting the injectors, I noticed one of them was missing the small plastic injector tip/washer at the LIM end of the injector. The tip is a plastic washer looking thing which goes on just below the lower o-ring. Question is, can I reinstall without this little plastic tip or is it vital to the operation of the injector or cause leaks if missing. I did find the washer broken.

On another note- I am having the UIM/LIM totally scrub a dub dubbed as it is filthy on the secondary port side. I looked into the intake head ports and the secondary head ports are soo clogged, I am not sure how to clean them without pulling the heads. I fear there is so much build up in there, it is compromising the valve seat/seal when the valve closes in the combustion chamber.

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Mike
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/24/06 08:50 PM
There is a FAQ on this topic as well as many posts.

One of the ways to keep stuff falling into the cylinders that have intake valves open is to stuff rags down the port while you are cleaning. For the cylinders that the valves are closed, you can suck out the cleaner and it's junk with a shop vacuum. Two of the better products for cleaning this mess are Berryman's and Valvoline Synpower throttle body cleaner.

Once it is properly cleaned, an ocassional vacuum suck of Berryman's with the engine running will help keep it from getting so dirty.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Ignition Coil - 06/24/06 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Once it is properly cleaned, an ocassional vacuum suck of Berryman's with the engine running will help keep it from getting so dirty.

That and getting a PCV oil catch can.
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: Ignition Coil - 06/26/06 02:59 AM
Thanks for yor posts. I have the info on how to clean the ports etc. I need to know about the injector washer. The plastic one.

Mike
© CEG Archives