Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: wp_master DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/07/06 06:58 PM
I have a 2000 Contour SVT and have been getting the P0402 code. I have searched the forums but am a little bit confused. If this is the only code that I have, would the DPFE sensor need replacing? Many of the other threads concerning DPFE replacement have a P0401 code of insufficient flow rather than excessive flow like I have, or am I just mistaken?

Also where can I purchase a new DPFE sensor? The Ford dealership has it for $100, but I tried calling Autozone, Pepboys, and NAPA, all of which did not have it in stock. Do I need to ask for it be a different name at these places, or is it a dealership only part now?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/07/06 07:05 PM
P0402 could be a DPFE sensor (aka EGR backpressure transducer) issue too.

Read this for a way to test it.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/1e/0900823d801bca1e.jsp

You can also purchase from www.teamfordparts.com

PRESSURE FEEDBACK SENSOR, Contour, Mystique, 2.5L 95-00 CEG Price $56.10

Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/08/06 12:52 AM
Just turn it off. Do a search for EGR delete or visit www.focaljet.com (I think??) for instructions for disabling it. It is easy and you will never get a code for it.

P.S.- you will probably get some follow up posts saying you can't do it, it's bad, etc...But I have had one for over a year with NO issues and my EGR is completely blocked off with a plate. NO CODES for it ever since.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/08/06 02:49 AM
WOW! I've been driving without a seatbelt (AND I disabled my airbags too!!) for almost a year with NO INJURIES, so don't listen to people that might state that you can get hurt doing it! I MUST be proof otherwise!

A properly functioning EGR is cleaner, more efficient and simply easier. A hodgepodge of work to "maybe" clear a current problem is also adding stacks of potential problems to the list.

A cheap way around doing something right.. that's all it is, when referencing THIS platform!

.. plain and simple.
Posted By: Dr. Cross Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/08/06 12:58 PM
I just recently purchased one from AutoZone. I believe they call it an EGR pressure sensor. I'm on my 3rd one. When the original one died (50K miles) I got a new one from AZ, but it was still the metal version. That lasted about 20K miles. The most recent one (May 2006) is the updated plastic version, so hopefully that one holds me over for a while!
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:08 AM
Ray,

Last time I checked, the EGR system did not save a single life in an accident like a seat belt or an air bag. If you are going to make a comparison, make a tangible one. I KNOW disabling it is bad for the environment etc...but comparing it to a seatbelt or airbag??? Come on.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:20 AM
The comparison wasn't about safety... you're missing a little something, there.

the comparison was that "someone" has done it with no ill effects so it MUST be okay to do it!

which is not true. If you're gonna try to knock my comparison down, do it by countering with some information as to why you were correct, rather than throw the intent off by trying to guide the response away from factual data, and instead on to semantics.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Bike2112:
Ray,

Last time I checked, the EGR system did not save a single life in an accident like a seat belt or an air bag. If you are going to make a comparison, make a tangible one. I KNOW disabling it is bad for the environment etc...but comparing it to a seatbelt or airbag??? Come on.

Well, OK, how about the retuning needed to compensate for the loss of EGR. The fuel mixture and the igntion curve needs to be altered.

But it's easier to plug it off and ignore the problems it creates.

It's your car. Treat it like you want to. Don't cry to us when it bites you in the tail.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:25 AM
DING.

A PROPER removal of the egr system involves PCM retuning, fuel mixtures, transfers, etc. MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than to simply fix the problem, have a cleaner running car, AND more efficiency.

Why WOULD anyone choose the more expensive way?
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
The comparison wasn't about safety... you're missing a little something, there.

the comparison was that "someone" has done it with no ill effects so it MUST be okay to do it!

which is not true. If you're gonna try to knock my comparison down, do it by countering with some information as to why you were correct, rather than throw the intent off by trying to guide the response away from factual data, and instead on to semantics.

Never said it would be ok to do in the context of the right thing to do. Just implying an option and stating it would not throw a code. Don't care if it is ok. Not going to counter because I think I'm correct. Just giving an alternative which is what this site used to be about.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:33 AM
Okay! Fair enough

One way: keep your EGR... run clean.. get more efficiency.

another way: pay more.. remove it right

Bike's way: "jus' plug 'er off, I don't care if its ok!!" run worse, cause long term problems..

mentally noted! THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING IN OUR FORUMS!

Edit: to make sure that everyone understands: I really AM thankful for his participation.. that came out as sounding sarcastic.. I WAS however being sarcastic in stating that his way was a way that I would ever endorse. I, in no way, endorse bandaid fixes, modifications, or alterations.

Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Originally posted by Bike2112:
Ray,

Well, OK, how about the retuning needed to compensate for the loss of EGR. The fuel mixture and the igntion curve needs to be altered.

But it's easier to plug it off and ignore the problems it creates.

It's your car. Treat it like you want to. Don't cry to us when it bites you in the tail.

Why would I cry to someone else for something I researched, thought about, made a decision on and did without your help. Just giving options here. Not everyone thinks like me or you.
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:38 AM
Okay! Fair enough

One way: keep your EGR... run clean.. get more efficiency.

another way: pay more.. remove it right

Bike's way: "jus' plug 'er off, I don't care if its ok!!" run worse, cause long term problems..

mentally noted! THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING IN OUR FORUMS!

Again, Didn't say simply plug it off. There is a way to disable it properly without messing up A/F, computer, etc...But you already know that.

Honestly, has there been anything original on this site in the last 3 years.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:41 AM
Define original?

Original: Ore-Ig-I-Nul;
Changing things that didn't need changing.
Fixing things in ways that aren't the most applicable.
Covering up symptoms with other symptoms.
See: N*&&$#-WRIGGING.

And you ARE right.. there is a way to disable the system CORRECTLY... and that is more expensive than fixing it, to yield less results.. So I guess you are right. We can let the members choose which way they want, I guess.

Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:42 AM

Why WOULD anyone choose the more expensive way?

Good question as I look at the $$$ it took to get your CONTOUR to 350+ HP. Just a thought.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:46 AM
You have no idea how much it took ME to get where it is. But nice inference! I said THE more expensive way (read: about that subject... not ANY expensive way)

I've been blessed by how much I have in to the car, total.. Not so much that I can't afford to replace/repair my EGR the right way, but enough that I know I won't do anything half-assed on it. Do it right, do it once.

Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:48 AM
Define original?

Original: Ore-Ig-I-Nul;
Changing things that didn't need changing.
Fixing things in ways that aren't the most applicable.
Covering up symptoms with other symptoms.
See: N*&&$#-WRIGGING.

And you ARE right.. there is a way to disable the system CORRECTLY... and that is more expensive than fixing it, to yield less results.. So I guess you are right. We can let the members choose which way they want, I guess.

The whole premise of my original post was an alternative and I even state it is not the "best" or "correct" way to do it, yet I give the guy an alternative and You have to pipe in with your eventual racist slam. Good Job, you win.

Just because "we" have already done it and know the best for our cars should not limit any new comers to the original enthusiasum of exploration of our cars.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 01:52 AM
You are GOOD at taking slants and running with them!

If "we" know the best, then why are "we" trying to get newcommers to try the way that isn't "best" as an alternative? That sounds like poor choices there.

Whatever, Bike. You've offered your solution, and I am sure that every member out there that either has ZERO MONEY, zero care, or zero energy will try your way. But, then again, those members aren't the kind of members that will care to fix their CEL at all, now are they? Any member with a shred of care for their car's performance, or longevity will certainly not shy away from doing it the right way.

If you wanna make it a competition ("you win") go for it, though it isn't required.. The consituents of this board are (generally) smart enough to make the right decisions.

EDIT: I'll let you make the last comment.. This thread has run its course, as other members of CEG are also saying. I won't just comment and lock to be fair, so have at it. Make it a good closing statement.

Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 02:02 AM
Never tried to give the best solution, just giving an option until the guy can fix it properly. Maybe he would like to get rid of the CEL temporarily until he can get it fixed properly. Or, maybe he does not want the EGR at all and can afford to properly tune the car accordingly, we will never know. Again, just an option. I'm sure if you read up on the original DPFE delete threads on some of the other boards, you would not be so hard on my option. Money has nothing to do with it. Some people really like trying things out, even if they know it might not work. It's the way we learn and no one is going to learn simply from reading our boring banter. Think back to the original car you got as a kid and started tinkering with. Maybe you messed things up out of curiosity and maybe you didn't. I did not give an opinion, but an option. Who put you in charge???
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 02:05 AM
Okay.. thanks for the closing comment!

Recap: there are multiple options, alternatives and choices to make when dealing with your EGR system.
Removing it is an option.
Programming the PCM not to see it afterwards is another (further) option.
Fixing the EGR is an option.

Any of these will allow your car to continue to run, in various states of efficiency, cleanliness and longevity. Choose the method that best suits your style, monetary ability, or time constraints.

Posted By: Bike2112 Re: DPFE replacement necessary? - 06/09/06 02:06 AM
Okay.. thanks for the closing comment!

Recap: there are multiple options, alternatives and choices to make when dealing with your EGR system.
Removing it is an option.
Programming the PCM not to see it afterwards is another (further) option.
Fixing the EGR is an option.

Any of these will allow your car to continue to run, in various states of efficiency, cleanliness and longevity. Choose the method that best suits your style, monetary ability, or time constraints.

Perfect. That is all I was getting at. Good luck to the original poster. Hope you get it fixed.
© CEG Archives