Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ace168516 OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 12:51 AM
I've searched through the posts and haven't seen anything related to a USB OBDII scanner. I don't have a serial port on my laptop and don't really want to use a serial to USB convertor. Anyone use anything like what I am looking for or have any info. Thanks, ACE
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 12:54 AM
Why not use a converter?
Posted By: ace168516 Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 12:55 AM
And as a quick version...had an emissions light on...was going to get the MIL eliminators, but it went away after a couple of tanks of gas, so I assumed it was a bad tank of gas. THen I changed my oil for the first time today (went to 5W30 Mobil 1 from 10W30 which the previous owner used...had a spare case in my garage....used 6.5 quarts) Any ideas would be appreciated as well, but I'm sick of that light controlling my life and would like to be able to see what it is telling me, regardless of the problem.
Posted By: muntus Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 12:57 AM
This thing is cool. I've been using this thing and it kicks but. I bet you could afford a usb adapter if you bought it, unless using one was against your religion or something.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 01:01 AM
Just go get it read at Autozone for free, then.
Posted By: ace168516 Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 01:11 AM
Originally posted by muntus:
This thing is cool. I've been using this thing and it kicks but. I bet you could afford a usb adapter if you bought it, unless using one was against your religion or something.

Just have had bad luck with them in a few instances in the past...I could get a port replicator as well...just wanted to see if there was an actual product someone hs used first. In my experience, Windows XP x64 doesn't like adaptors in general
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 03:24 AM

That looks really interesting. Is it just a code reader, or does it include software to scan so you can read values in real time?
Posted By: yapper_dup1 Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 04:06 AM
I believe the S/W determines whether you can scan real time. The site reports there are several free S/W packages available so you might have to experiment of ask others there experiences.

I have Alex Pepper's OBD-2 TRICOM device. His provided S/W permits real time data logging.
Posted By: muntus Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

That looks really interesting. Is it just a code reader, or does it include software to scan so you can read values in real time?

It scans the codes and it can check the values of your sensors. With it, you can also turn off the check engine light, allowing the option of not having to reset your clock and radio stations.

I use this software. Since I'm currently in California, I can't get my codes read at the Autozone, so this actually saved me about $250 in diagnosing fees when I was fixing my mom's Taurus. It paid for itself on the first day and now I can use it on almost every car.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/18/06 06:16 PM
I've been using a serial to usb converter in my senior design project without a hitch. I'll check out the model and post it up soon.
Posted By: ymicz Re: OBDII to USB & Software - 04/19/06 06:49 AM
i have this thing, it gets the job done. you can read engine sensors, codes, reset the pcm, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TekMate-Windows-USB-OBD2-OBDII-Scan-Tool-Dyno-Ford_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQitemZ4632754690QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
© CEG Archives