Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 throttle position sensor installation - 04/16/06 10:28 PM
I just recently a SVT tb on my SE and I ended up getting a code P1120, tps sensor voltage to low, it turns out that I had a SE tps and not a SVT one. Also I have read alot that people have been having trouble getting the correct tps.

Here is a SE throttle body with out the tps

The SE tb turns clockwise where the SVT tb turns counterclockwise as viewed from the front of the vehicle. The SVT tb will look somewhat similar.

When purchacing a tps it is a good idea to check the direction that the sensor turns. As I noted before the SE tb turns clockwise and the SVT tb turns counterclockwise. When you view the tps you will be looking at the opposite side of the sensor then you would see as it is installed on the vehicle.

When you purchase a tps for a SE the tps needs to turn counterclockwise and the SVT tps needs to turn clockwise, remember this is 180 degrees from how it is viewed on the car, reference this photo.

what also needs to be know is that the tps does not drop right onto the tb, it needs to be loaded, ie the sensor needs to be slightly turned when teh tb is closed. The sensor reads from about 0.1 volts to 1 volts for closed to open positions. The following photos show how the tps should be installed on a SE tb, if you don't install it correctly you will break the sensor.

now turn the sensor so that the mounting holes line up and bolt it down, you need to turn the sensor counterclockwise

The SVT tps is installed the same way but the sensor needs to be offset upwards and then rotated clockwise to be mounted.

hope that helps some people that have getten the wrong sensor or have had trouble installing a tps
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/16/06 11:03 PM
great help Brian! i'll see if it works on mine right now! thanks a bunch!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/16/06 11:40 PM
Brian by any chance you have the part numbers for both SVT TPS and SE TPS? Im pretty sure I have a SE TPS now that im comapring mine to the pictured TPS above..
SE tps Ford part number: F5RZ-9B989-BA

not sure on teh SVT one, but check the direction that it turns to make sure you have the right one
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 04:17 AM
Originally posted by BrApple:

not sure on teh SVT one, but check the direction that it turns to make sure you have the right one

this is weird though cause they dont have a seperate SVT tps listed anywhere..

plus the number circled below is whats exactly written on my new TPS which im pretty sure is broken..

Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

this is weird though cause they dont have a seperate SVT tps listed anywhere..

plus the number circled below is whats exactly written on my new TPS which im pretty sure is broken..

can't see the image at work but as I recal from my order the part number called up a ranger, have to figure that the part is used in more then one Ford, also my local auto parts store had a separate listing for the standard tps and the SVT one

just check the direction it turns as I indicated in the one photo and you should be good to go, also remember the SVT tps needs to be clocked in the oposite direction then in the photo above
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 01:04 PM
Goonz, that is the SVT TPS. I just replaced mine on my 65mm T/B, and that was the same part # I ordered.

Mark
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 01:14 PM
how can that be the SVT TPS if brian just showed that it was the SE TPS?
if goonz had a brand new one for an SE and put it on an SVT it would break as soon as you opened the throttle.
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 01:15 PM
but i also just noticed that the TPS brian shows is an F5RF and he lists a part number of F5RZ.

so maybe the F5RF is the SE and the F5RZ is the SVT?
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 01:17 PM
or....maybe he just made a typo.
and the actual difference is the SVT ends in BA and the SE ends in BB?
Originally posted by Me ted:
but i also just noticed that the TPS brian shows is an F5RF and he lists a part number of F5RZ.

I will double check when I get home but I typed in the number off of the box, which was a new Ford Part that I ordered from Bill, he gave me this part number when I said I was putting a SVT tb on my 99 SE: F5RZ-9B989-BA
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 01:29 PM

Whoops, I was going off of memory. I'm at work, and don't have the part or box in front of me.

Mark
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 01:31 PM

I will double check when I get home but I typed in the number off of the box, which was a new Ford Part that I ordered from Bill, he gave me this part number when I said I was putting a SVT tb on my 99 SE: F5RZ-9B989-BA

I ran 3 different combos of the part number, and the only one that shows up valid is F5RZ-9B989-BA. All others show as invalid part number.

Maybe Bill J. will chime in about this and help us out.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 02:48 PM
how can that be the SVT TPS if brian just showed that it was the SE TPS?
if goonz had a brand new one for an SE and put it on an SVT it would break as soon as you opened the throttle.

when i took mine off, it was broken, thankfully I had my old one to put in..
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 03:46 PM
how long was it on before it broke?
or when you put it on, did it not solve your problem?

well with putting a SE tps on a SVT tb it will not break, it will give you a P1120 when you step on the gas right off the bat
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 05:12 PM
i forget who it was, but someone put the wrong TPS on a car at one of the meets in andover and as soon as they stepped on the accelerator it snapped the TPS because it was turning it in the wrong direction.

i forget who it was, but someone put the wrong TPS on a car at one of the meets in andover and as soon as they stepped on the accelerator it snapped the TPS because it was turning it in the wrong direction.

that was just about everyone the optimized their tb that day except you, it was indexed wrong and it snapped the first time you step on the gas, Tayner, Wontgrowup and maybe someone else also
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 05:54 PM
is that what it was?
i dont rememebr i was eating alot of pineapple that day...
is that what it was?

as I recall, Jay had no issues with his, and he got yours done without installing the tps wrong, everyone else wasn't so lucky
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 07:14 PM

pretty much, didnt feel a difference
Posted By: Ed98.5SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/17/06 09:10 PM
is that what it was?

as I recall, Jay had no issues with his, and he got yours done without installing the tps wrong, everyone else wasn't so lucky

I did mine that day as well. No problems !!
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/18/06 12:47 PM
i looked at a spare SVT TPS last night and if i recal correctly its part number was: FSFZ-98989-AA
the S might have been a 5 but it sure looked like an S
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/18/06 03:05 PM
i looked at a spare SVT TPS last night and if i recal correctly its part number was: FSFZ-98989-AA

the S is a 5 mike..
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/18/06 03:16 PM

the S is a 5 mike..

shaddap!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/18/06 06:46 PM

the S is a 5 mike..

shaddap!

Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/18/06 09:26 PM
the part number off the TPS in my garage is:
F4SF-9B989-AA
7E30A
Don't forget that 3.0 duratec uses the same sensor, I think the mustang also but for sure just buy a TPS sensor for 3.0 taurus as an alternate if they are "out of stock" on the SVT unit since they rotate the same way.
Posted By: ymicz Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/19/06 07:05 AM
is there an advantage to using an svt tps on an se throttle body?
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/19/06 11:50 AM
it wont work.
as stated earlier in this thread they both turn in opposite directions.
Originally posted by ymicz:
is there an advantage to using an svt tps on an se throttle body?

Only if you find having a broken tps as an advantage.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/20/06 06:58 PM
I received the new TPS from Bill today..

the new SVT TPS part number is F4SZ-9B989-AA I think this one is it!

here are the pics of the SVT one on the left and the SE on the right..

SVT TPS

SE TPS

hopefully these pics will help in the future..
Posted By: ElKy Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/20/06 11:59 PM
dude...the TPS you posted as an SVT TPS has a different part number on it than you stated..
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/21/06 12:42 AM
Originally posted by ElKy da Stalker:
dude...the TPS you posted as an SVT TPS has a different part number on it than you stated..

LOL!!! I noticed the same thing.. F4SF 9B989 AB!!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/21/06 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

the box had the correct SVT number though..the part number is sometimes not correctly listed on the part, it goes by box..and this one is def. SVT because my car ran alot better after installing it..

the box had the correct SVT number though..the part number is sometimes not correctly listed on the part, it goes by box..and this one is def. SVT because my car ran alot better after installing it..

as I said in my first post you just need to make sure you have one that turns the correct direction to make sure that you have the correct one since you proved they all look alike
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 04/21/06 03:18 AM

as I said in my first post you just need to make sure you have one that turns the correct direction to make sure that you have the correct one since you proved they all look alike

it did turn the right direction..
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 05/15/06 05:15 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd bring it back up. I just broke a month old SVT TPS, by incorrectly indexing it, when I thought I had it right. Anyway, the part# on the TPS that you are using Goonz, is I believe a Mustang GT TPS. I just bought a Mustang T/B, and the suffix was an AB part#. I'd have to double check the prefix though, but they both turn the same direction.

Mark
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: throttle position sensor installation - 05/15/06 05:19 PM

That is Fords casting number, not the part number. Like 50% of the "part" numbers you find on the car are not part numbers. It tells what it was designed for, who designed it and when.

The part number Goonz posted is the correct PART number.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: throttle position sensor installation - 05/15/06 05:23 PM
Whoa! Mark, where did your post come from. Wasn't there before I was posting.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: throttle position sensor installation - 05/15/06 05:26 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Haha, the last post on this was April 20th, and I thought I was just bringing it back to life. Looks like you were doing the same.

Mark
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: throttle position sensor installation - 05/15/06 05:32 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Haha, the last post on this was April 20th, and I thought I was just bringing it back to life. Looks like you were doing the same.

Mark

I had just remembered this thread when they were talking about the part numbers and never saw Goonz's post with the correct part number. Thought I would follow up on it today.
© CEG Archives