Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: HockaLoogie UIM Cleaning - 02/21/06 08:27 PM
This weekend I decideed to clean my UIMs w/out removal. At wall mart I picked up 2 cans of B-12, and a beer bong looking thing. The first method I tried was to let the b12 run thru each vaccum line with engine running. I did not get much smoke out of the back and the only difference I noticed was probably from the TB cleaning I did. I just sprayed some Valvoline carb cleaner in and used a tooth brush, then a clean rag to get the crap out. I did notice a slight improvement in throttle response but nothing big.

The next day, I tried something different. I had the engine running and poured some b12 in. The engine stalled and I kept if off. I poured some more b12 in one hose, then the other. I let the car sit like this for about 1/2 hour. When I started the car, it sounded bad, nasty idle, bad smell and of course the smoke. The engine eventually smoothed out and I started driving. The difference from the second method was much more noticable. Must be from the b-12 sitting on the valves and breaking up the carbon. Tonight I'll do it again only I'll use Sea Foam. I've heard people say it's worth the extra $. I reccomend this 2nd method for anyone who like me is scared to remove the IMs.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/21/06 08:45 PM
Welcome .
Posted By: HockaLoogie Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/21/06 08:54 PM
Thanks but I'm not new. 3 weeks ago I was banned for 2 weeks. I'm still unable to post under my original name.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/21/06 09:00 PM
Originally posted by HockaLoogie:
I poured some more b12 in one hose, then the other.

What hoses are you talking about?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/21/06 09:09 PM
Thanks but I'm not new. 3 weeks ago I was banned for 2 weeks. I'm still unable to post under my original name.

You were banned and, instead of pming the mods to ask why you aren't unbanned, etc, you create a new screen name (which, by the way, is grounds for permanent banning!!!!)

??

Your on the car method did jack #$@@ for your car, unless you have already cleaned the UIM/LIM while off the car. on the car method is a maintenance procedure...

Posted By: HockaLoogie Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/21/06 10:08 PM
Ray, if you PM me a working Name, I'll explain in private.
Posted By: HockaLoogie Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/21/06 11:59 PM
I'm sure it didn't do much, but the performance gain is noticable. The car has 105k on the clock and Letting some B-12 sit on the valves for a little while must have done something. It's most noticable in the lower RPMs. I'd love to do a rebuild but I'm sure on my engine that would just be opening up a whole new can of worms. Plus i don't have the stones to do it myself.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 12:16 AM
imagine cleaning it like this

Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 01:13 AM
Letting some B-12 sit on the valves for a little while must have done something.

This makes NO sense. How *exactly* are you getting fluid to "sit on the valves?"
Posted By: HockaLoogie Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 01:30 AM
That looks so good
I hear of all these posts about people cleaning their Uppers and lowers but see no mentions about performance gains. I'm sure they go without saying but there seems to be more posts about what went wrong in the prosses.

In response to the above post, I imagine that pouring b-12 into the engine while off would let it set into the carbon built up on the valves and other parts of the engine wihout burning off. does this make sense or are the images in my head wrong?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 01:39 AM
...I hear of all these posts about people cleaning their Uppers and lowers but see no mentions about performance gains. I'm sure they go without saying but there seems to be more posts about what went wrong in the prosses. ...

LOL. Most will not post if the engine is performing well.
"Help, I did the UIM/LIM rebuild and now the car performs very well. Did I do something wrong?"

If something did go wrong, they would probably post to solicit advice/suggestions on how to fix it and to let other CEGers know what to avoid doing in the future.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 01:46 AM
In partial defense here about cleaner sitting in the manifold and helping to clean things up, I would like to pass on some history.

The genisis of this whole "vacuum suck" method of cleaning up the intake manifold as well as intake ports, combustion chambers, and valves, goes back before fuel injection was common. The technique was to spray or pour "combustion chamber cleaner" down the carb throat with the engine running. You would increase the throttle opening enough to keep the engine running, but allow it to run a bit rough from "loading up". When you would get near the end of the container of cleaner, you would allow the engine to die from increasing the cleaner or decreasing the throttle or both. You would then allow the cleaner to soak for usually about 15 to 30 minutes and then start the engine and blow all that crap out. The cleaner used went in sort of like a foam, and tended to cling onto the sides of the manifold and ports.

I know of at least three products that were probably canned by the same supplier that were used in this manner. One was Rochester X-88, another was Ford Combustion Chamber Cleaner, and another was a Shell product. I'm sure that Mopar had one as well.

When I had an engine that seemed to have a burned valve, I would often run the cleaner through it before pulling the heads. Rarely, the cleaning would restore the compression, but more importantly, it was much easier to clean the heads once they were off as most of the carbon was cleaned out. If I didn't have the Ford cleaner available, I would use water or sometimes hot water mixed with equaly parts of ATF. The water and water ATF mix didn't clean as well, and it didn't do much for the areas outside the combustion chambers, but it still made a difference.

So you can laugh all you want about the "vacuum suck" method not being effective, but in my lifetime I've had too many engines apart that had just had a similar service. It saved a lot of labor time in cleaning things up. Roughly speaking it saved about an hour per head.

If you are not getting that result, perhaps we need to continue to look for a product that will soak in and do a better cleaning. The Ford stuff is still available, although it is hard to find as many dealers don't bother to stock it. Just from the name, I wonder if SeaFoam would do it.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 01:47 AM
This weekend I decideed to clean my UIMs w/out removal. At wall mart I picked up 2 cans of B-12, and a beer bong looking thing. The first method I tried was to let the b12 run thru each vaccum line with engine running. I did not get much smoke out of the back and the only difference I noticed was probably from the TB cleaning I did. I just sprayed some Valvoline carb cleaner in and used a tooth brush, then a clean rag to get the crap out. I did notice a slight improvement in throttle response but nothing big.

The next day, I tried something different. I had the engine running and poured some b12 in. The engine stalled and I kept if off. I poured some more b12 in one hose, then the other. I let the car sit like this for about 1/2 hour. When I started the car, it sounded bad, nasty idle, bad smell and of course the smoke. The engine eventually smoothed out and I started driving. The difference from the second method was much more noticable. Must be from the b-12 sitting on the valves and breaking up the carbon. Tonight I'll do it again only I'll use Sea Foam. I've heard people say it's worth the extra $. I reccomend this 2nd method for anyone who like me is scared to remove the IMs.

By the way, your screen name is still disgusting. Can't you find something a little less disagreeable?
Posted By: HockaLoogie Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 04:36 AM
c'mon Big Jim, a name like Tourgasm and not one person on this fourm has thought of it? How long has this site been up anyway? You gotta give me credit. And Hocka Loogie is just darn brilliant Gross? yeah, but creative.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
The technique was to spray or pour "combustion chamber cleaner" down the carb throat with the engine running. You would increase the throttle opening enough to keep the engine running, but allow it to run a bit rough from "loading up". When you would get near the end of the container of cleaner, you would allow the engine to die from increasing the cleaner or decreasing the throttle or both.

Using a cleaner in an atomized state in a running engine to clean the combustion chamber is completely different than pouring liquid into a non running one to clean the UIM.

Again, I want to know how Mr. Hockaloogie 1) expects to get Berryman's to an intake valve in an engine that isn't running and 2) how he expects it to "sit on the valves" considering many aren't closed.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 02:46 PM
ok. me and get it over with. However it worked, it worked.
Posted By: elraido Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/22/06 04:20 PM
like he said, if it worked it worked. Most likly not as good as taking the stuff off...but I am sure it got a lot of the "loose" stuff off.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 06:26 AM
Originally posted by elraido:
like he said, if it worked it worked. Most likly not as good as taking the stuff off...but I am sure it got a lot of the "loose" stuff off.

yea but imagine if EVERYTHING was cleaned..it be worth the tear down IMHO
Posted By: Tourige Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

ever get your car running?
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 03:38 PM
ZZZZZING!

Next weekend, I'm going to work on removing the manifolds. I'm enlisting the help of my friend and badd player Mitch who's owned and worked on everything from a prelude, to a Buick GN. I recomended he do the same to his blazer. The only thing is as I was looking up the part numbers for gaskets on Napa, I realized some of the parts cost much more than posted in the how-to. Most are accurate but one gasket listed at $18 is going for aroud $45 on napa. What could be goin on here? would some of them be cheaper throught ford? Thanks for the help so far.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

ever get your car running?

ahh you baaaaaaaaasteeerrrd!!

it'll be glorified by next week..lol

I hope
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 04:51 PM
What went wrong? should I be worried. I do have a backup car if mine goes out of commision for a while but what should I worry about?
Posted By: Tourige Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 05:52 PM
He Broke his Vac lines so needed replacements.

He also messed up the sparkplug wiring so the car ran crappy untell he fixed it, no biggie problems.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 05:56 PM
The vac lines are what go form the intake after the filter to the uim right? can't they just be replaced with lines of the same diameter?
Posted By: ElKy Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 06:14 PM
why are you going thru Napa for the gaskets?
just give Billy-boy a call and he will send you everything you need!
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 06:43 PM
sounds like a good idea. I assume a brief search will reveal his contact information.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 07:01 PM
Duratec Maintenance, FAQ
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 07:20 PM
He Broke his Vac lines so needed replacements.

He also messed up the sparkplug wiring so the car ran crappy untell he fixed it, no biggie problems.

Yea that vac line was a minor problem but actually having an old car with the stock cat..the wrong wiring sequence made my car missfire off the wazoo and us not knowing and driving the car for like 10 min really clogged up the pre-cats and main cat to the point where my headers were glowing red..since then the car stars up smooth and idle's ok..but in the back there is absoloutly no exhaust flow..standing in the back you hear nothing leading me to believe that its time for new headers and a new high flow cat..hopefully that will fix this
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 07:28 PM
See, I'm trying not to have this lead to more problems. as much as I'd love new headers and a highflow cat, it's not in my budget at this time. I read your post about the plug wires in the TS section last week. I'll be very consious of that but I'm afraid I might miss something else. That how-to is so detailed and looks so useful. But there's always the chance, a big chance, that I'll come across something not covered. Thank god for you guys.
Posted By: elraido Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 08:29 PM
imagine cleaning it like this

Do you figure if you did the b-12 cleaning threw the vacum lines every oil change they would stay as clean as this? Or at least help it stay cleaner, longer?
Posted By: Tourige Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 08:49 PM
no, the only way to get them that clean is by the rebuild, and if you want them to stay clean after the rebuild, then do the berryman's
Posted By: elraido Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 08:56 PM
no, the only way to get them that clean is by the rebuild, and if you want them to stay clean after the rebuild, then do the berryman's

that is what I was trying to say, guess it didn't come out right.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/24/06 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
See, I'm trying not to have this lead to more problems. as much as I'd love new headers and a highflow cat, it's not in my budget at this time. I read your post about the plug wires in the TS section last week. I'll be very consious of that but I'm afraid I might miss something else. That how-to is so detailed and looks so useful. But there's always the chance, a big chance, that I'll come across something not covered. Thank god for you guys.

I understand your concern but I had the same concern as well. Mine was really old and for me it was no questions that if I wanted this car to run any better before modding it further, I had to make sure the UIM/LIM rebuild was done. I was lucky enough that I had my buddy Tony (CSVT1214) come down and help me out, I mean he knew what to do and it also helped having everything that was needed for the rebuild. Him and I both worked on it but for me it was alot on learning. If need be I had to do this again, I could do it on my own but im hoping thats not anytime soon.. Our cars are very sensitive to these sorta things and if it is done right, there is nothing to worry about..I pretty much changed all the sensors taht I could..lol
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/25/06 03:25 AM
tourgasm...why dont you just bring that thing down to oneonta, i have a garage, and i lost count a year ago how many times i've done this....we could have it apart/cleaned/running in a matter of a couple of hours....plus i get a pretty good discount on parts,i just ordered the uim/lim gaskets for 43.25 through work,next day delivery
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 02/27/06 01:41 PM
That sounds like a good Idea. I'm free this comming weekend, I could take a trip. I'll PM you.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/01/06 03:34 PM
Originally posted by tour96SeVT:
tourgasm...why dont you just bring that thing down to oneonta, i have a garage, and i lost count a year ago how many times i've done this....we could have it apart/cleaned/running in a matter of a couple of hours....plus i get a pretty good discount on parts,i just ordered the uim/lim gaskets for 43.25 through work,next day delivery

Where are you? I'll be over on Saturday morning !

ha ha ha
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/01/06 05:18 PM
Originally posted by mean'tour:
tourgasm...why dont you just bring that thing down to oneonta , i have a garage, and i lost count a year ago how many times i've done this....we could have it apart/cleaned/running in a matter of a couple of hours....plus i get a pretty good discount on parts,i just ordered the uim/lim gaskets for 43.25 through work,next day delivery

ha ha ha

...he's coming down next sunday...you can come too...we'll do both
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/01/06 05:19 PM
Yeah, bring some Wine coolers
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/01/06 11:40 PM

..just wait til' i catch you sippin' on one!!!! i'll make sure to have the digi cam on stand by
(..p.s...if you do come bring the black cherry ones )
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/01/06 11:44 PM
and by the way tourage...that rear reflector i was GIVING you...now has a price
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/01/06 11:46 PM

..just wait til' i catch you sippin' on one!!!! i'll make sure to have the digi cam on stand by

Awwww, I wanna come!

UIM/LIM cleaning is actually pretty fun with a buddy if you have done it a few times and it's not 5 degrees out.

Let's see, there is climbing around the engine like a monkey, swearing at Ford, havin' a few drinks, get high off the cleaning fluids.....
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/01/06 11:50 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Awwww, I wanna come!

UIM/LIM cleaning is actually pretty fun with a buddy if you have done it a few times and it's not 5 degrees out.

Let's see, there is climbing around the engine like a monkey, swearing at Ford, havin' a few drinks, get high off the cleaning fluids.....

having a garage in the winter...priceless
...sadly i think i'm a little to big to be climbing around the engine bay..not sure about tourage though
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/01/06 11:55 PM

Awwww, I wanna come!

having a heated garage in the winter...priceless
...sadly i think i'm a little to big to be climbing around the engine bay..not sure about tourage though

Fixed.

I have a garage but it's cold as a witches nipple.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/01/06 11:58 PM

Awwww, I wanna come!

Fixed.

mine too!! thats why my cars been sitting on jackstand for most of the winter(except for photo opp's!!) i can only stand it out there for like 15-30 seconds at a time(being able to stand the cold isnt in my d.n.a..i'm tropical )
but i do have heaters when i really want to do something
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/02/06 12:00 AM
Last few times I worked on my car in the garage, I just spread out some blankets to work under the car.

Can't wait till I get a real heater.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/02/06 12:01 AM
yeah...i'll be doing that as soon as i get my borla exhaust.....ahem
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/02/06 12:38 AM

Fine keep it. I'm starting a new trend called "Chrome strip delete" with full instructions on how to break it in half! Look for my how-to in the mods section. This'll be the best mod since knauberizing
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/02/06 01:16 AM
Originally posted by mean'tour:
tourgasm...why dont you just bring that thing down to oneonta , i have a garage, and i lost count a year ago how many times i've done this....we could have it apart/cleaned/running in a matter of a couple of hours....plus i get a pretty good discount on parts,i just ordered the uim/lim gaskets for 43.25 through work,next day delivery

ha ha ha

...he's coming down next sunday...you can come too...we'll do both

Um, OK! I wish I could, my wife is out of town that weekend, so I'd have to bring my 2 Rugrats. Where are you guys?

Enjoy. I don't drink, so would never get the right stuff anyway.

Thanks for the invite!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/02/06 01:33 AM
dont forget to get all the needed gaskets, gromets and all that fun stuff!!

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/02/06 02:27 AM

Awwww, I wanna come!

Fixed.

Hey my garage wasnt that bad!
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/02/06 01:41 PM
Quote:

Um, OK! I wish I could, my wife is out of town that weekend, so I'd have to bring my 2 Rugrats. Where are you guys?

Thanks for the invite!

I'm in Albany Sevt is in oneonta. Were meeting at his place.
How old are your kids? maybe my girlfriend wouldn't mind watching them.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/02/06 02:19 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the invite!

I'm in Albany Sevt is in oneonta. Were meeting at his place.
How old are your kids? maybe my girlfriend wouldn't mind watching them.

Thanks again! I do appreciate it. They would HATE the drive, but thanks.

Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/14/06 09:47 PM
SeVT(Chris) And I got together and did the cleaning. He definantly made quick work of the removal and reassembly. Must be from all the times he's done it. Not a single thing went wrong. Started up after about 3 tries. The manifolds were cleaned out nicely and my secondary linkage was reconcected. I didn't even know it was undone but I suspected something was wrong when minivans would pull away from traffic lights faster than I could keep up with them without an agressive launch.
The cleaning yeilded a slight increase in power and a noticable gain in fuel efficiency. It took me a little over a 1/4 tank to get there and just over 1/8 to get back. Granted the trip back is mostley down hill.

An odd thing though. Chris noticed my uim was a bit rough. As if it had not been extrude honed. It's a 98.5 so I would assume it's a single pass job but it doesn't look like it's been done at all. I'm thinking about getting in on that group buy or even just taking one off a totaled SVT. We'll see. Also, Chris was cool enough to give me a rear reflector to replace mine with the missing chrome strip.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: UIM Cleaning - 03/14/06 11:49 PM
Good to hear! See, it's really not so bad. Did you clean the heads at all?
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/15/06 06:07 PM

Fine keep it. I'm starting a new trend called "Chrome strip delete" with full instructions on how to break it in half! Look for my how-to in the mods section. This'll be the best mod since knauberizing

My stock reflector did your mod all on it's own. When the car was still under warranty the chrome strip started coming loose. The dealer tried to glue it, but it eventually fell off and was lost.

That was actually the first thing I fixed on this car when I took it over from my wife and got interested in upkeep maintenance of it. $50 at a junker, got screwed though!
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: UIM Cleaning w/wine coolers - 03/15/06 06:13 PM
Well Chris DID end up giving me the reflector which I greatly appreciate. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to put it on, cahnge oil and trans fluid. I'm all motivated now. I'll give it a little wash n' wax while I'm at it. Maybe even optimize my TB.
© CEG Archives