Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/05/06 09:07 PM
my car will be turing 10 years young this december..its never had its intakes cleaned..untill now..I really wanna thank Tony (CSVT1214) for his time and effort comming up to help do this. i really appreciated his help

This is horrid sight I saw..

Tony's way of working on our car

This is gonna be a loong night

All cleaned up!!

I used 6 cans of this stuff, it worked WONDERS! got it from autozone

All said and done, my cars battery was dead from all those atempts to start the dammn thing..lol..anywho its up and running now

new stuff added:

Autolite plugz (not split fire )
Magnecor 8.5
new gaskets and etc..

Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/05/06 09:59 PM
did you clean the carbon on the head intake ports?
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/05/06 10:15 PM
Did you leave the Tb on the upper while cleaning it...

I would of personly took it off to clean the back of it.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/05/06 11:08 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
did you clean the carbon on the head intake ports?

We cleaned it up a little bit, but overall wasn't that bad. Just right near the surface was gunked up bad. So we cleaned it up near the top of the ports and on the surface before laying down the new gaskets.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/05/06 11:09 PM
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-VIII:
Did you leave the Tb on the upper while cleaning it...

I would of personly took it off to clean the back of it.

That was cleaned also and new gasket installed.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/05/06 11:21 PM
i wish i had the know-how to do this, id be afraid of running stuff (ie injecterors and whatnot) Ill just stick to the can of Berrymans.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/05/06 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
i wish i had the know-how to do this, id be afraid of running stuff (ie injecterors and whatnot) Ill just stick to the can of Berrymans.

Won't do crap. Yeah, the car might smoke and spit out tons of junk, but take the manifolds apart and they will look just about the same as they did before cleaning them.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 02:35 AM
Congrats... glad to hear the wires were sorted out. Hope the how-to aided in some way.

Enjoy your newfound power, and mileage.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
my car will be turing 10 years young this december..

A SVT built in December '96? Man thats early mr #9.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 04:16 AM
thanks guys, I dont think I'll drive it untill i have teh UIM vacuum hose..but whenever I start the car, shes nice and smooth

so far SZ is looking good
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 04:17 AM
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
my car will be turing 10 years young this december..

A SVT built in December '96? Man thats early mr #9.

Im sorry i meant november..lol even earlier
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 04:26 AM
Looks good.

I wish I had taken pics of a local guy's pre-98 w/ 150k miles that had never been cleaned. THAT was nasty.

Best tip for cleaning - a warm engine. The carbon buildup comes off so much easier.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 04:28 AM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:

Best tip for cleaning - a warm engine. The carbon buildup comes off so much easier.

yea mine had been sitting in my garage for 2 days..warm engine would also be a pain because everything will be hott when touching
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 04:30 AM

yea mine had been sitting in my garage for 2 days..warm engine would also be a pain because everything will be hott when touching

Open hood.
Start car.
Turn off engine when UIM becomes warm (not hot dummy ).
Remove.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 04:40 AM
lol
Posted By: elraido Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 05:10 AM
my UIM almost never gets warm....most of the time it is fairly cool to the touch. Wierd.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 06:11 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Won't do crap. Yeah, the car might smoke and spit out tons of junk, but take the manifolds apart and they will look just about the same as they did before cleaning them.

Wrong, ive done it before, before there was MAJOR hesitation when the secondaries opened, but after doing it the car seems to run WAY better, im sure it could be cleaner more with the re-build but im just scared of ruining some stuff, stuff that dosent come cheap
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 06:23 AM

Wrong, ive done it before, before there was MAJOR hesitation when the secondaries opened, but after doing it the car seems to run WAY better, im sure it could be cleaner more with the re-build but im just scared of ruining some stuff, stuff that dosent come cheap

its really not that bad as you think..I was paranoid the whole time but once you get to it, its really jsut a learning process about your engine..its totally worth it cleaning all that crap by your hand and actually seeing it as clean as its posted in the above pictures..
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 01:43 PM

Wrong, I did 2 cans of berryman's b12 chemtool through the intake manifolds when I purchased my svt. It looked like

. I tore the UIM/LIM down with the help of a few local CEG'ers and the car preformed so much better with the full teardown. As much as you say you get a preformance increase with the non-teardown method, just think of the jump if you did it correctly?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 02:07 PM
it has been covered before it is best to tear everything down and clean the UIM and LIM, then at a interval that you set you can run the Berrymans through the intake by the vacuum lines to help keep things clean. Also a oil seperator is also going to help alot too
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 02:30 PM
hmmm, any reason why i couldent make this weekend project and do it myself? I have some know-how and ive done a few things on my car (TB optimize, redid brakes etc) This would be BY far the hardest thing ive done.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 02:32 PM
hmmm, any reason why i couldent make this weekend project and do it myself? I have some know-how and ive done a few things on my car (TB optimize, redid brakes etc) This would be BY far the hardest thing ive done.

don't see why not, I went over the how-to and it is pretty straight forward, saw it done once also, it isn't that bad, just take your time
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 03:03 PM
It's a little more involved than a brake job, but nothing you can't do on your own. if anything, just start it early in the morning to give yourself the whole day to work on things, and let the intake manifolds soak. Get yourself a TON of shop towels, some Valvoline carb cleaner, and all of your gaskets. Just be patient taking the intake manifolds off if you've never done it. Definitely refer to the how-to if you get stuck.

Mark
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/06/06 03:09 PM

Its really not that hard...just time consuming. Take everything off slowly and lay it out in order. If something won't come off easily, don't force it. Stop and think about why it isn't coming off. Do a search and review the past 6 months CEG postings on UIM/LIM cleans. Lotsa good tips in there. The re-tourque everything properly.

Also, while your UIM/LIM is off, may be a good time to replace plugs and O2s.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 04:39 AM
goonz..if your uim/lim looked that bad your heads/valves are no way shape or form clean...you should've taken a small flashlight and looked deep into the heads,i bet the valves were all gunked up....you've seen how ryan took care of his car/engine,when i pulled that engine you should've seen the buildup on top of the valves..it looked just like the adv. pics you see in parts stores for intake cleaners,nasty,but thats just me
...also it really isnt time consuming unless your pulling the lim,in which case you need to be careful of the fragile wire harness...you should be able to have all the manifolds pulled off in 10 mins or less
Posted By: elraido Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 05:08 AM
How would you clean the valves?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 05:28 AM
Originally posted by elraido:
How would you clean the valves?

you dont really....not sure why i wrote that
Posted By: elraido Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 06:33 AM
how about we spary carbon cleaner into the top of them until it comes out of the tops?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 04:17 PM
would TB cleaner work good on the Carbon build up? Cause they dont sell berrymans here in canada.

I think im gonna do this on the weekend (seeings as how my headers wont be coming in) I JUST changed the plugs and oil like a month ago, no need to change them right?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 04:21 PM
would TB cleaner work good on the Carbon build up? Cause they dont sell berrymans here in canada.

I used 6 cans of this stuff, it worked WONDERS! got it from autozone

Hmmm??
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 04:23 PM
=me

Haha, ok sounds good. Looks like i have a fun weekend project!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 05:26 PM
=me

Haha, ok sounds good. Looks like i have a fun weekend project!

make sure you do this correctly, or else you'll end up like me with a broken hose

Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 05:35 PM
no worries Haroon, ive done the UIM cleaning with Seafoam before.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 05:46 PM
I cleaned the valves. I sprayed cleaner on the ones that were closed, scrubbed, and then sucked up the crud. Then I cranked the engine and did the two that had been open before. I got a LOT off of them.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
I cleaned the valves. I sprayed cleaner on the ones that were closed, scrubbed, and then sucked up the crud. Then I cranked the engine and did the two that had been open before. I got a LOT off of them.

thats the catch, you need to keep the crap from getting into the engine
Posted By: hsoverma Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 06:41 PM
Tourique,

If you want detailed pics plus how to do the Oil Seperator Install, check out the link in my signature. I hope it helps.
Posted By: SVT3391 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 06:41 PM
Looks good.

I wish I had taken pics of a local guy's pre-98 w/ 150k miles that had never been cleaned. THAT was nasty.

Well Pete if you missed that, here comes the second chance:
My 98 E0, 76K miles, never cleaned UIM/LIM before. To make things worse -- I babied this car so much that I rarely reved over 4000 RPM before I shifted. Guess how the secondary looks now. So if you like, come over and help me with that, and take all the pictures you want. I will have pizza, beer, bulgogi, snacks ready.

So how do you say?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 10:29 PM
Originally posted by hsoverma:
Tourique,

If you want detailed pics plus how to do the Oil Seperator Install, check out the link in my signature. I hope it helps.

well done How-to
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/07/06 11:50 PM
i used a shop vac to get alot of the dirty cleaner back out of the heads when i was cleaning the valves,otherwise it can be a [censored] to start and i throw a misfire once too
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 01:17 AM
after reading the How-to on the main site im just wondering what i REALLY need for this rebuild, i know TB cleaner, UIM gasket, LIM gasket, TB gasket.
But Do i really need:

-Fuel rail to lower intake manifold seals
-EGR gasket
-IAC gasket

Just wondering
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 01:31 AM
But Do i really need:...

Yes.

-Fuel rail to lower intake manifold seals - P0171, P0174
-EGR gasket - PP0171, P0174
-IAC gasket - rough idle.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 01:43 AM
Dang I'm jealous. I really need to do that to mine. Looks like you did a good job. Is there a noticable difference?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
But Do i really need:...

Yes.

-Fuel rail to lower intake manifold seals - P0171, P0174
-EGR gasket - PP0171, P0174
-IAC gasket - rough idle.

werd, to the stealership i know, 100 bucks worth of gaskets at least, damn bastages
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 02:31 AM
WTH? $100??

Go through Bill J and get the entire thing for WAYYYYYY LESS than that.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Oscar Nominated Ray:
WTH? $100??

I got everything I needed for $66
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 02:43 AM
WTH? $100??

how does it run
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 02:55 AM
Originally posted by tour96se:
WTH? $100??

how does it run

LOL it doesnt at the moment

broke a UIM vacuum hose, but that should be commin in tommorow thanks again to who else but Bill
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 04:35 AM
WTH? $100??

Canadian money?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 02:23 PM
$100! I think a set of 4 UIM/LIM gaskets is $38 at Napa. Average is $40. Autozone can get the Felpro ones too. I don't change any other gaskets. Reuse TB/IAC/EGR.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 03:02 PM
Originally posted by todras:
$100! I think a set of 4 UIM/LIM gaskets is $38 at Napa. Average is $40. Autozone can get the Felpro ones too. I don't change any other gaskets. Reuse TB/IAC/EGR.

Shouldn't it be the other way around about reusing the gaskets? I would think the UIM/LIM gaskets would be more reuseable than the TB/IAC/EGR. Don't those gaskets seal themselves after a little while with heat?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 04:34 PM
Just get all the gaskets. If you havent ever pulled the UIM/LIM/TB/EGR/IAC then the gaskets on the TB/EGR/IAC will likey tear or fall apart. The Felpro gaskets from Autozone are of equal quality to the Ford ones. The Felpro ones also come in a pack of 4 (two LIM, two UIM) so it can make things a tad easier. Equally priced to the discounted Ford ones, plus you can typically get all the gaskets from Autozone in the same day (though they had to order either the IAC or EGR gasket, not sure. Came in by the next day.).

Valvoline carb cleaner works amazingly well for the LIM and TB. It pressure washes the buildup right off, often without even scrubbing. For the UIM you need to get something you can pour in, like Seafoam or Berrymans.

On a related note, WEAR GOGGLES WHEN SPRAYING CARB CLEANER! When I was spraying out the back of the TB, the cleaner shot back at me out of one of the groves (like putting a ladle under the faucet) and went straight into my eye. I thought I was going to be blind, and I dont think Ive ever felt pain like that in my life. I had my open eye under a stream of water for like 10 min, and I could feel it all day I would have felt like such a tool if it caused permanent damage.

Goonz, this thread has reminded me that I still need to make me a oil seperator. Thanks for the reminder
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 04:34 PM

Shouldn't it be the other way around about reusing the gaskets? I would think the UIM/LIM gaskets would be more reuseable than the TB/IAC/EGR. Don't those gaskets seal themselves after a little while with heat?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, you're wrong. With the few cleanings I've done, I've reused the TB/IAC/EGR gaskets, and replaced the intake manifold gaskets once.

Mark
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 04:36 PM
Pssh, dont listen to Mark. Just get new ones. The only harm it could do is lighten you by maybe $20 and you might actually do some preventative maintenance. Big whoop.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, you're wrong. With the few cleanings I've done, I've reused the TB/IAC/EGR gaskets, and replaced the intake manifold gaskets once.

Mark

i'm with mark...i clean my manifolds once every month,(that its on the road) and i've only replaced the upper/lowers once..tb twice and thats it
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 04:45 PM
I know of many people having vac leaks reusing UIM/LIM gaskets when they have some age on them. If you have over 30-40k on the gaskets I'd suggest getting new ones.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 05:07 PM
If you have over 30-40k on the gaskets I'd suggest getting new ones.

Personally? +1
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 05:09 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:

i'm with mark...i clean my manifolds once every month,(that its on the road) and i've only replaced the upper/lowers once..tb twice and thats it

Well you have replaced the originals, so the new ones cant be all that old.

If you have never done it, I would highly recommend replacing all of them to avoid any potential leaks (which will throw a CEL).
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 09:44 PM
WTH? $100??

Did you go through Bill J?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/08/06 11:26 PM
Originally posted by mean'tour:
WTH? $100??

yea, he did
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/09/06 02:44 AM
Originally posted by mean'tour:
WTH? $100??

yea, he did

yes I did, this what i said to him

Bill Im gonna be getting this done, I need all the required items like the gaskets, o-rings and what not

$66, great guy to deal with as well

Haroon
Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: Finally Cleaned Up UIM/LIM - 02/13/06 07:13 PM

i think i'm up next for one of these cleanings i have 75K on my 2000 svt . once upon a time i sprayed a couple of cans of berryman chemtool b12 ? through the vaccum ports on the uim a can in each port. it made a notice able difference but i think a complet tear down is in order to get everything.

i've never done this so can someone please give me some major do's and don'ts thanks. or i can just look at the how-to i guess. searching works wonders
© CEG Archives