Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 06:37 PM
I just got off the phone with my nearest Ford dealership. I was curious about how much the cost would run for a good old fashioned tune-up. Now, if I was driving a '98 Ford Contour, I would have to fork out $91.95. THe problem is, I drive a '98 Ford Contour SVT. Yep, you got it, $414.95. To most people, that's chump change. NO, IT'S NOT CHUMP CHANGE, THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Who in the hell has $414.95 to change 6 plugs and wires. So this is the part where everyone says, "Why don't you change them yourself?" I would love to, if I trusted myself to perform surgery on my own baby. I'm not a mechanic. In fact, the one person I DO trust to do something like this, had a heck of a time trying to tune-up my '95 Chrysler Cirrus for the same reason of having to take the intake manifold off and messing with all that hoopla. It took him almost a whole day so the BOTH of us agree we're not messing with this project. Not to mention, the dealer service guy said it wasn't a good idea to put any other type of plug or wire in this car unless it's ford plugs and wires due to the fact that the car won't run right. Now I went and bought some Autolite double-plats because they are supposed to be the best mapped out spark plug for the CSVT.

Does anybody else run these plugs and not have a problem?
Posted By: Stazi Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 06:41 PM
You don't have to remove th UIM to change the plugs. Just the coil pack.

Put down your purse and do it yourself!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 06:41 PM
there is absolutely ZERO difference in procudure on a norrmal 2.5L Contour or the 2.5L Contour SVT in changing the plugs. You also do NOT have to remove the intake manifold. If you do each plug and wire one at a time you will be fine. And yes Autolite double plats are good plugs.
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 06:44 PM
changing plugs and wires is hardly surgery, give it a shot, if you fail you have one of two options:

1) come on CEG and tell us the problem, someone will help you diagnose and fix it

2) you end up paying the $414.xx anyways, but you might as well give it a shot first.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Ike:
... Now, if I was driving a '98 Ford Contour, I would have to fork out $91.95. THe problem is, I drive a '98 Ford Contour SVT. Yep, you got it, $414.95. ...

Are you sure the dealer or you are comparing apples to apples? You may want to get something in writing. When my ATX had the 60k tune-up, it cost me about $700 but that included a host of other things which was suggested and I said yes to.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 07:32 PM
This really isn't a hard project. If you lived nearby, I'd offer to help you do it.

Here is a link to the how-to in the FAQ section.

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=18
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

Depending on your frame size, coilpack isn't even required.

Have a friend (or a broom stick) hold the hood HIGHER than the prop rod would normally hold it. You can easily get your 9" extension and plug socket straight in the plug cylinder now.

Ray
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 07:37 PM
Wow. Owned by the dealer hardcore. Autolite plugs- $25. FMS wires-$50. Ouch. You could have flown a CEGer in and still saved $. Just need a 3" & 6" to get in the deep wells is all. Total time maybe an hour. It's not a UFO.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 07:48 PM
....Put down your purse .....

LOL. I just noticed this.
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 08:51 PM
Well, I'm glad everybody except for me is a mechanic. Maybe it's time for a bigger purse, huh Stazi? Unbelievable.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 09:08 PM
Well, I'm glad everybody except for me is a mechanic.

"When my ATX had the 60k tune-up, it cost me about $700 but that included a host of other things which was suggested and I said yes to."

I take it you did not read my post.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 09:10 PM
I will do it for you if you are willing to drive to Tampa.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 09:11 PM
a little thicker skin will help you, Ike. He's an Aussie... that means he may be right, but he'll tell you the wrong way.

Seriouly, though.

Everyone starts somewhere, and a tuneup is a basic means of maintenance that you can do. There are AMPLE how-tos for the duratec (look under Duratec Maintenance in the FAQ pinned at the top)

ALL of which are doable at home.

Ray
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 09:35 PM
Ike were are you located...Maybe a Ceger can help ya out.

Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
... He's an Aussie... that means he may be right, but he'll tell you the wrong way.
Ray

LOL. This is even better.

Er...Just in case some don't get it (right, left, right, wrong).
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/15/05 11:22 PM
I can't blame your buddy of being shy about changing the plugs after trying to work on that Mopar.

If it was anything like the 98 Dodge Grand Caravan that I worked on last week for my brother in law, that would be enough to make anyone think twice.

It has a 3.3 litre engine which is a pushrod OHV V6. The front plugs are very easy. The rear plugs require removing the upper intake manifold. To get the upper intake manifold off, you need to completely remove the windshield wiper system which is in sort of a tray above the engine. He paid me well for the job, but I may not have volunteered to take it on if I would have realized what I was getting into.

The Contour is very doable. I can't see even a novice taking more than 2 hours. Those that are exkperienced can do it in about 1/2 hour.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 12:44 AM
If you want volunteers to help you out (perhaps in exchange for a few cold brewskis) or to refer you to someone nearby who is affordable, you might have to (gasp!!) tell us where you and your car are located. If Tampa FL doesn't work for you, how about Portland OR?

Do you want help? Or do you prefer to bbitch?
Posted By: Coolkuehl3_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 12:53 AM
I too was "afraid" to do my own tune up on my 96 SE at first until I read all about it here on CEG. Sure it took my 17 yr old son and myself a little while to do, but now either of us could do it in about an hour (with breaks). Hardest part really was getting the old plug wires off. You just have to pull alot. One tip I did read about was using a 8"-10" length of 3/8" rubber hose to place the new plugs in to ease lowering them down to the head to get them started. Other than that you need basic tools, i.e. rachet, socket, extension(s). Like everyone else has said, give it a try and if you run into trouble ask for help here. You'll feel really proud afterwards by saving all that money and learning something in the process.
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 04:01 AM
Now THAT'S what I'm trying to hear. Anyway, my first car was a 1976 Ford Elite. No front-wheel drive, no fancy stuff, and LOTS of room to work with under the hood. 4 plugs and wires on one side, 4 on the other. Pull 'em out, plug 'em in. Simple job. Of course I didn't have anything to lose working on an old clunker with a 351 iron block. I've never even messed with a front-wheel drive car before, and after watching my boy Sean work on my Chrysler Cirrus (Mitsubishi engine actually), I don't want to screw anything up. That's alright, it's time to call my pops back into town and have him show me a couple more things.

Although I don't think he's going to be to thrilled about it either (he hates these new cars).
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 11:11 AM
Ike where are you located? I've changed an ample amount of plugs and wires for CEG'ers in Southeast MI and would be willing to show you the roots.... not if you are 3000 miles away, though.
Posted By: SCSVT Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 12:49 PM
I'm in South Carolina if you are anywhere near here! I wouldn't mind helping you if you decide you need some.

Let us know someone will help.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 02:20 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm trying to hear. Anyway, my first car was a 1976 Ford Elite. No front-wheel drive, no fancy stuff, and LOTS of room to work with under the hood. 4 plugs and wires on one side, 4 on the other. Pull 'em out, plug 'em in. Simple job. Of course I didn't have anything to lose working on an old clunker with a 351 iron block. I've never even messed with a front-wheel drive car before, and after watching my boy Sean work on my Chrysler Cirrus (Mitsubishi engine actually), I don't want to screw anything up. That's alright, it's time to call my pops back into town and have him show me a couple more things.

Although I don't think he's going to be to thrilled about it either (he hates these new cars).

You can do it. There are several "How-to's" around. Try here. I did mine a few months ago, my first time EVER doing anything like this. DEFINITELY use some duct/ electrical tape and attach the plug ratchet to the long shaft, will save you some time and trouble. You are right, with the V6 engine, there isn't a ton of extra room, but I did not have to take anything extra off.

If I can do it, ANYONE can!

Good luck !
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 02:58 PM
FWIW, guys, this thread's really making me feel better about trying to do my own plugs/wires. I just need to get some wrench extensions and stuff. I still wish I'd done them when we did our manifolds last month though.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 03:20 PM
I'm not a mechanic.

A lot of us here aren't mechanics either. With the help of the how-to's, us "non automotive technicians" are learning to do more and more to our cars. My ride hasn't been to the stealership once, thanks to the CEG. All work is done by me and my husband. Sometimes it takes longer than it should but, we're getting it.

Starting out with plugs and wires...it will take you some time but when you're done you will feel good that you did it yourself. Plus, you'll save a bunch of money.

Have some of faith in yourself. You can do this!

Also, tell people where you're located, you got lots of offers of help. Take advantage of the fact that people here will help you.
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 03:32 PM
Amazing! Folks from Michigan and even South Carolina are offering to help. I appreciate it (everyone) but I think after listening to everybody I might as well grab some tools and get 'er done. At this point I'm almost excited to try this. THanks guys (and girls).
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 03:33 PM
Buy the way, I'm from St. Louis, Missouri, I don't think that's close to anyone.
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 03:40 PM
While I'm at it, how do I clean my UIM and LIM. Is it as simple as removing the UIM and spraying something in it or what exactly am I supposed to do?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 03:56 PM
Go to the Duratec Maintenance Forum.. click one of the stickied threads at the top (little red pin) that says "Duratec Maintenance FAQ" and scroll down to either LIM, or UIM (its in alphabetical order)

Click the link, and you're there.

Ray
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 04:04 PM
While I'm at it, how do I clean my UIM and LIM. Is it as simple as removing the UIM and spraying something in it or what exactly am I supposed to do?

uh, if you're frightened by changing plug wires, then a UIM/LIM cleaning is not for you. there's a lot of sensors, bolts, hoses, and curing involved. we had a meet last month, we started at 10 AM and were leaving around 7PM. granted we stopped for food, occassional random breaks, but even so, it's several hours worth of PITA.

I am glad to see you're going to give it a shot. as said before, I found the hardest part getting the old wires off. I ended up taking a CEGers advice and gripping them with channel lock pliers and yanking them out. you just have to be sure to get a solid grip or the rubber boot will tear up, but it wasn't too bad.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 04:11 PM
FWIW:

the UIM/LIM cleaning process can be broken down in to a couple of stages:

removal: (by far the easiest part... ) can be done in 20 minutes after you've done it once.

Cleaning: (the simplest part) takes the longest, but is simple.. just spray, scrub, wipe, repeat. The better part of 3-5 hours will be used soaking, and cleaning.

Assembly: (no more difficult than removal...) can be done in 30-45 minutes.

NOT a hard job, just intimidating.

Ray
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 04:28 PM
Originally posted by platinum_drew:

uh, if you're frightened by changing plug wires, then a UIM/LIM cleaning is not for you. there's a lot of sensors, bolts, hoses, and curing involved. we had a meet last month, we started at 10 AM and were leaving around 7PM. granted we stopped for food, occassional random breaks, but even so, it's several hours worth of PITA.

Yeah, and remember, we were freakin' cooking out there in that sun, which magnified the unpleasantness of it. If I were doing it again, I'd do the work at my in-laws in their garage and leave the car in overnight while soaking the manifolds.
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 05:03 PM
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Originally posted by platinum_drew:

Yeah, and remember, we were freakin' cooking out there in that sun, which magnified the unpleasantness of it. If I were doing it again, I'd do the work at my in-laws in their garage and leave the car in overnight while soaking the manifolds.

Drew and Jeb had a harder time because they had me harassing..er..I mean assisting them with my smart a.. comments and remarks during the meet.

But in all seriousness, Ike, just start with the plugs first (to "warm up"). Then you can try something else later.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

HAhahahahah

Let us know how you do man, If ya get stuck on something please ask, Id rather have you ask them do harm.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 08:04 PM
I did the full UIM\LIM rebuild on my car when i did plugs and wires.

it was the first time i had done anything on the car(i had a basic mechanical knowledge at the time) since i bought it, and all i needed was the how to and a couple hours of time.

it's not that dificult, just get over the fear and get dirty.
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 08:24 PM
I'm gonna do my first change of plugs and wires here soon too. So your not the only one here. I also did my very first oil change all by myself almost 2K miles ago (haha laugh if you like guys) and did very well. I am also gonna do a drain and fill soon on the tranny, maybe on my next oil change. Since I'm on vacation this week I might just try to get all that out of the way this week.
After my first oil change all by myself I feel pretty good about myself, and it makes me want to do more.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: Tune-up quote - 09/16/05 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Mystique97:
I'm gonna do my first change of plugs and wires here soon too. So your not the only one here. I also did my very first oil change all by myself almost 2K miles ago (haha laugh if you like guys) and did very well. I am also gonna do a drain and fill soon on the tranny, maybe on my next oil change. Since I'm on vacation this week I might just try to get all that out of the way this week.
After my first oil change all by myself I feel pretty good about myself, and it makes me want to do more.

I did my first maintenance stuff this year as well. I started with oil and filter changes, but quickly graduated to tranny fluid drain and fill. I just completed the installation of new front rotors, and a new oil pan gasket.

Jump right in and give it a try. Do your research first though. People on CEG are GREAT ! ! !
Posted By: snakous Re: Tune-up quote - 09/21/05 03:02 PM
Originally posted by mean'tour:
People on CEG are GREAT ! ! !

yes they are, willing to help you out with ANYTHING, car related or not.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/21/05 03:25 PM
Originally posted by snakous:
..yes they are, willing to help you out with ANYTHING, car related or not.

Snakous, that should be "...yes we are...". You are also one of us.
Posted By: Nathan_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/21/05 03:55 PM

Just changed my wires yesterday over my lunch hour. Even went to the dealer to pick them up. Don't bother removing the coil pack, just used long needle nose pliers to grip where the wire meets the boot and give it a yank (especially #3 in the back). Bring a small screw driver to snap the clips appart.

You might want to throw some never-cease on the new plugs when you do them.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/21/05 04:59 PM
HAHA..

I think never-cease is what Packrat uses on his off-beat remarks, davo on his sports-nut talk, and ryanblacksvt on his car bashing. Noobs have a healthy application of never-cease too... they always ask the same EXPECTED questions.

j/p, man!

Never-sieze would be the gel you use to keep the plugs from becoming stuck.

Ray
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/21/05 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Ray:

Never-sieze would be the gel you use to keep the plugs from becoming stuck.

Ray

It's actually anti-seize. Protects against seizure, heat-freeze, rust and corrosion.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/21/05 11:32 PM
BACK OFF TODDY!! That was MY JOKE!

Ray
Posted By: muskamike Re: Tune-up quote - 09/27/05 02:36 PM
I would love to meet up with any CEG'r to show me how to do a UIM/LIM cleaning and to also go over my engine to explain what is what, but no one lives close to me and the other two SVT's in town arn't owned by people who 'do-it-yourself'...

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHH...*fart*

Time for a meet in Seattle, Vancouver...somewhere...close!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/27/05 03:48 PM
Isn't there a how to with pics on the UIM cleaning?
Posted By: paul martin_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/27/05 04:11 PM

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH good one Staz
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/27/05 08:38 PM
Yes there is. I made it for THAT EXACT reason! Too many people saying, "I'd do it, but I don't know where the IAC or the TB or EGR is... and all that text is just confusing".

We did the entire rebuild and photographed each part.. I even labeled each piece in every picture (even pieces not involved in the process; just so people can learn what those pieces are)

Ray
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/27/05 08:52 PM
And if that doesn't help you then prepared for a dealer arse rape. Most of us have learned from reading here on the forums and buying all the manuals. Most mechanics have no education beyond HS other than ASE certification. I figured if these monkeys can repair a car I sure as heck can. I've learned to fix thinks on others cars that mechanics screw up. Got my first repair bill at 18 and said F this I need to learn how to do things for myself. My dad didn't do much work on cars either so I was pretty blind when I started. Just started reading and asking questions. Same as anything else in life.
Posted By: Woodencross Re: Tune-up quote - 09/27/05 09:07 PM
Originally posted by todras:
And if that doesn't help you then prepared for a dealer arse rape. Most of us have learned from reading here on the forums and buying all the manuals. Most mechanics have no education beyond HS other than ASE certification. I figured if these monkeys can repair a car I sure as heck can. I've learned to fix thinks on others cars that mechanics screw up. Got my first repair bill at 18 and said F this I need to learn how to do things for myself. My dad didn't do much work on cars either so I was pretty blind when I started. Just started reading and asking questions. Same as anything else in life.

I paid ONCE for the 30,000 miles check up...It was like $500...

Since then, I do my work myself, for the most part...
Posted By: "shotty driving"-ds Re: Tune-up quote - 09/29/05 03:37 AM
If you live anywhere near Houston TX, I would be happy to give you a hand and show you a few things.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/29/05 03:43 AM
Are you offering to help me make how-tos? or help Ike do his work? (You replied to MY post way up there, so I am not sure.

Ray
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/29/05 05:02 PM
By the way, I JUST put in my double-plat plugs and 8 mm wires last night, and my car is running like a beast. Thanks for the confidence and the support (everybody included) which saved me $400. It was actually quite fun! I can't believe some of you were actually offering to come help me. This room is definitely different then some of the other rooms that's for sure. Anyways, I appreciate it. Next is the throttle body and UIM.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/29/05 05:10 PM
Good for you, now send us the money you saved.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/29/05 06:30 PM
This room is definitely different then some of the other rooms that's for sure.

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/29/05 07:35 PM
"room".. forum...

Saying that other forums may not be so nice.. (CI, etc)

Ray
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/30/05 06:32 AM
By the way, I JUST put in my double-plat plugs and 8 mm wires last night, and my car is running like a beast. Thanks for the confidence and the support (everybody included) which saved me $400. It was actually quite fun! I can't believe some of you were actually offering to come help me. This room is definitely different then some of the other rooms that's for sure. Anyways, I appreciate it. Next is the throttle body and UIM.

Congratulations! I'm glad that you have a good sense of humor and a good attitude. Arn't you glad that you "put down your purse" and tackled the job.
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/30/05 03:30 PM
Lol! I don't know. I was really starting to like that purse. In any event, I've done a few things in the last couple of days and my car is REALLY running good. High performance tune-up, JUST cleaned the throttle body (which was hella gunked up), magna-flow cat-back, fuel infector cleaner, and some octane booster for good measure. This thing's likely to snap my neck off next time I get in 'er.

Upcoming projects: replacing fuel filter, cleaning the UIM/LIM

P.S. I just can't stop finding reasons to pop the hood and find something to clean. Do I have some kind of disease or is that horsepower drug starting to make me an addict?
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/30/05 03:34 PM
Oh yeah, the how-tos listed at the top of the forum are ESPECIALLY useful and easy to understand. I believe this is Ray's doing, but maybe not entirely by himself. In any event, a first-timer such as myself has been able to perform every maintenance project I've tackled up to this point. Good job on those how-tos!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Tune-up quote - 09/30/05 05:27 PM
Thank you! Some of the how-tos are mine.. (notably the uim, hub and alternator ones) but everyone made some. I just linked to them. I get help when I need it on my projects, and I include them in the credits.

That's what this site is about, after all. Getting help when you need it.

Ray

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Tune-up quote - 10/01/05 04:22 AM
Great job Ike!! When/if yuou decide to tackle that UIM/LIM rebuild, just PM me and I'll give you my cell and I'll go through the how to with you and explain anything you might need explained.
© CEG Archives