Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 02:47 PM
Well guys, it's pretty much official and it's all done but the crying. I was unsure of my attendance all ready with our baby being due 3 weeks before SZ, but as long as she came on time, I was good to go. Unfortunately after tearing into my motor last night planning to do a minor rebuild, things are looking a bit more grim than expected. Basically the motor wasn't dead yet, but detonation was definitely killing it slowly but surely. On top of that I noticed my clutch apparently hadn't been holding up well. I don't know the reason for that other possible abuse before it was completely broken in, but in any case it is toast as well.

I was planning on really firing things up this year with some pretty drastic changes to the car to be unveiled at SZ, but that will have to wait for another time. I'll be rebuilding the engine again as funds become available later on this year so hopefully the car will be back on the road sometime late this year.

Here are some pics of the internal carnage:

Rick
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 02:51 PM
Thats too bad, I was hoping to see what kind of plans you had up your sleeve for SZ.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 02:51 PM
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 03:08 PM
Yup, detonation sucks! I'll still unveil the car when it's done, it's just too bad it won't be at SZ. Let's just say I have some serious changes going on with it.

Hey, at least someone else has a chance at best of show this year

Rick

Posted By: Pole120 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 03:19 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Well, get it done as i know i for one can't wait to see it.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 04:54 PM
Is that number 3?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 05:28 PM
Yup, upcoming will be #4. Yuck!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 05:32 PM
bah, lets go for 5! :-p
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 06:30 PM

good luck to ya!

Perhaps still come but in a different vehicle? or is that just asking too much out of a guy with a new baby and an expensive rebuild on his hands?
Posted By: WorldTour_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 06:35 PM
Well there is always '07...
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 06:42 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

good luck to ya!

Perhaps still come but in a different vehicle? or is that just asking too much out of a guy with a new baby and an expensive rebuild on his hands?

Yeah, come anyways...good times to be had!

Too bad there won't be a supercharged 3L at SZ to compete with the turbo guys...

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 06:43 PM
If it weren't for the new baby, we'd probably go ahead and come in another vehicle, but considering I was most likely going to be solo this year anyways, I pretty much decided it would be over with.

Rick
Posted By: ElKy Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 07:01 PM
Hey Kim...
i think we need to start a kidnap mission!

we will kidnap shaggy and rick this year!
weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 07:29 PM
looks like we'll definitely have to bring the truck, then.
Quite a few people need kidnapping.
Imagining them all huddling under the tonneau cover makes me giggle.

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 07:39 PM
It'd be just like smuggling illegals. Except we actually want to go to where we're being taken.
Posted By: Barge Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 08:20 PM
Not that it matters much... but any thoughts to that being pre-ignition not detonation?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 09:08 PM
Definitely detonation. Pre-ignition would have melted the center out of the pistons.

Here is an excellent article describing the differences between the two and some good reading for basic tuning principles as well. Probably stuff you all ready know Barge, but it was a nice read for me since it simplifies a lot of stuff.

Keeping that in mind, I may drop to a 2 step colder plug for my next build along with a 9:1 ratio. The only other thing I wonder about is if there is any easy way to calculate the optimum compression ration given the specifics of the chamber design and anticipated fuel octane. It appeared to be complex fluid dynamics used to calculate optimum performance on their part.

Rick
Posted By: Pre98 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 10:43 PM

Saddening. At least you'll have the funds to get it running again.
Posted By: m!key Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/27/06 11:55 PM
no mr. and mrs. smith?
Posted By: LoadedSVT Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 12:03 AM
Sorry we won't see you Rick this year. Always next year!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 12:59 AM
Man, I have to say sorry! I was hoping you'd have trouble free existence with that. Any reason why it was detonating? What kind of tuning software?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 01:04 AM
It was originally tuned by Jerry from Forchips, but he only got a partial and then extrapolated the rest due to the clutch letting go at 3500-4000 RPMs. I'm guessing that he wasn't expecting the power I was turning out with the smaller pulley and intercooler setup.

I'll be tuning it myself this time with the PRP that I bought last year.

Rick
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 01:09 AM
Sorry to hear about the troubles, and especially about you not being able to make it. I'll miss you.
Posted By: 1slosvt Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 03:13 AM
i tell ya what rick. if i can get the thursday and friday off for the trip. u could meet me in iowa city and ride with me if the wife will let ya. of course in a much more boring svt as u know but a ride no less
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 03:46 AM
Originally posted by todras:

Bummer Rick. Your saving grace is being home with the Mrs. during the home stretch; which will no doubt gain you some brownie points.

Mark
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 06:31 AM
Bummer man. Was looking forward to running at the dragstrip with ya. Good luck with everything.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 01:50 PM
Thanks for the offer Slo and while I'd love to go, I can't justify leaving the wife at home with a newborn nearly as much if I'm just going to hang out with some friends versus showing the car.

I should be back better than ever come next year though and trust me, I've got some mods in the works you are going to want to see.

Rick
Posted By: Pre98 Re: I'm officially out this year - 02/28/06 02:04 PM
<Movie theater guy>
Coming up on the Next Episode of Buckshot77.....
</end movie theater guy>

Posted By: XKontour98 Re: I'm officially out this year - 03/01/06 03:18 PM
Posted By: Barge Re: I'm officially out this year - 03/01/06 07:04 PM
As far as the 2 step colder plugs... that probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start with... heck I was using colder plugs in an n/a engine to prevent detonation/pre-ignition.. not sure what mine was.. I think I got pre-ignition from what i'd read at the time.

And you figure I was making what, at least 150 hp less than you...
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 03/01/06 07:23 PM
In the reading I was doing, the main reasons manufacturers use the range of spark plug they do for stock applications is to help with emissions and cold start. Colder plugs won't bother me a bit as I'm really not worried about either of those things at this point. I'm also going to look into indexing the plugs since the heads are off and possibly side gapping them as well.

Rick
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I'm officially out this year - 03/02/06 04:55 AM
This sucks!
Posted By: ZenBoy_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 03/09/06 09:36 PM

Heck, I'll toss my hat into the ring as well - if you want a quick break from things, we'll get you to SZ. I'll even drive down there and pick you up.

'Course, I'm sure your wife will appreciate having you around to shoulder some of the load as well.

If you can't make it, we'll look forward to seeing you in '07. I was going to swing south on a motorcycle trip this year, visiting some other friends in Iowa along the way; maybe we can grab a drink and I can see what you've got up your sleeve for the Contour.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm officially out this year - 03/10/06 04:17 AM
Mike,

Definitely swing by if you're in the area and we'll have a beer and burn a steak or something.

Rick
© CEG Archives