Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Y2KSVT NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 08:26 PM
Hey everyone, I wanted to start a new thread for EVERYONE coming to Spring Zing, and not just the people dyno'ing. I just got off the phone with Brent White @ Brenspeed about possibly coming out to the dyno day. He said that he uses SCT software and can do tuning on most of the Contour computers. He uses the Excalibrator, which he normally sells for $350.00. If we can get 15 people to buy one of these, he'll charge $310.00 per unit, and will come out to the dyno day at no charge to make sure nobody has any problems with them.

So if you're in, he's going to need your computer code, the year and model Contour(I believe?), and what you want out of the tune(ie: A/F changes, timing changes, rev limiter changes, governor changes, O2 deleting, firming ATX shifts, etc). He is very confident in getting tunes for the naturally aspirated people, but can try and get blower files from SCT.

You can go to www.brenspeed.com and scroll down to click on "Got SCT Tune" and you can read up on it. It's basically a box that connects up to the port under the dash, and it flashes your computer. It takes about a minute to do, and holds up to 3 files. He'll include a file for your tune, and a "valet tune", which will set the rev limiter to 3000 rpms, so you can drop off your car for an alignment with no worries . Also, you can upload new files by letting him know any changes you've made, and he can email you updated files, which you'll need to purchase a $20.00 chord to hook up to your computer for downloading.

So basically, I wanna see how much interest we can get, so we can get these ordered. We need to know by the end of the month, so he can order the boxes and start making adjustments so they can be ready on May 20th. If you can't pay for it now, you can make a $100.00 deposit directly to Brenspeed, and pay the balance when you get to the dyno(must be in cash unless you pay in full with a C/C over the phone).

So do we have any interest? Questions?

Mark
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 09:26 PM
i'm getting one.....question though..if i get this should i still use the apex'i? i havent installed it yet....i'm still getting in on this though...
edit******
? what if i already have a custom superchip?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 09:35 PM
Good question.. I really don't know how this would benefit you if you already have a base tune. This is all pretty new to me, so no question is a bad question.

Mark
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Good question.. I really don't know how this would benefit you if you already have a base tune. This is all pretty new to me, so no question is a bad question.

Mark

.........great answer mark ...your not a buiseness/salesman are ya???? j/k...if you could find out that would be great...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 09:56 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:

Mark

.........great answer mark ...your not a buiseness/salesman are ya???? j/k...if you could find out that would be great...

Hahaa sorry man.. I guess I didn't imply that I was going to check with Brent.. I'll let you know what he says.. I'll give myself a for not being more clear.

Mark
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 10:03 PM
Hell yeah im in! I dont know where im going to pull this money out of but I cannot pass it up!

Will this require us to run a higher octane?

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 10:05 PM
No, you will be able to run the same octane that you are now. He said he has the SVT and non-SVT files right now, and can tune for pretty much everything you'll need with a N/A motor.

Mark
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/14/05 11:40 PM
Sorry for being a noob at this, but other than changing/removing limiters, what will this computer program software really do? Why would you want to change your timing? If the o2 sensors work, why would you want to get rid of them (no headers for me YET)? Please fill me in or gimme a link where I can completely read up on this. This has my attention, but not my cash yet ($300 isn't worth going over 112 MPH)
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 01:41 AM
I am liking this. I got some questions:

Right now I have my chip calibrated to my Mustang GT MAF and my 42# injectors. Would this be feasible with the SCT? If not could he get the tunes from any of the Focus guys so there is a baseline with my car? I really don't want to blow it up on the dyno.

Other than that I want my car to shift higher (even with my chip now it shifts at 6000 or so RPM), new limiters, ATX firmed up, etc.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 01:44 AM
Sorry I'm exhausted Mark, but one unit will basically cost 15 people $25?($350 per unit) Chris's offer of $100 threw me off

I'm down. $50 for a dyno DAY (People, that's A DAY, not 2 or 3 pulls) plus some tuning for this kind of price..

How can you go wrong?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 04:50 AM
no $ for it...or i would.

i was hoping he could just tap in and change some things without all the expense.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 11:38 AM
Well, think of it man. If what I was thinking was right, we just need to get 15 people so the price goes down to 25 a person.. I think.. Back me up or set me straight Mark
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Pre98:
Well, think of it man. If what I was thinking was right, we just need to get 15 people so the price goes down to 25 a person.. I think.. Back me up or set me straight Mark

........bill i think that you are confused....mark is talking about buying a sct tuner for 310...the dyno is still the same price of 50 for ??? amount of pulls...i dont think the price for that has changed at all...mark should be online in a few hours to corrects us
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 01:42 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
Originally posted by Pre98:

........bill i think that you are confused....mark is talking about buying a sct tuner for 310...the dyno is still the same price of 50 for ??? amount of pulls...i dont think the price for that has changed at all...mark should be online in a few hours to corrects us

Thanks Chris. $50 is still the price to get yourself on the dyno. Again, we'll have the dyno for 8 hours, so it's up to everyone to decide what they want out of it. Some may just want 2-3 pulls to get a baseline. We'll most likely put you guys on the dyno first. The people that are doing any part swapping while on the dyno, and anyone doing any SAFC tuning will go after.

As for the SCT units, Brent is willing to sell them for $310 a piece($40 off per unit!!), if we can somehow stir up 15 people to EACH buy one. This is basically for people who haven't had their cars tuned yet, but want to get in on it now. We'll need to get Brent our information so he can order the SCT Excalibrators, and tune them to your specifications before Spring Zing. He'll come to Spring Zing AT NO CHARGE to help everyone understand how they work, and make sure everything is working smoothly.

So to answer your question, everyone needs to purchase their own SCT unit. Each one holds 3 programs that you can choose yourself. For example, I'd personally have one program for N/A, another for nitrous(for down the road when I put the bottle on), and one valet file. The $100.00 deposit would have to come from every individual person.

Mark
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 01:51 PM
Just too add, since there seems to be some confusion about the SCT unit, I'll just add two things about them.

1) You can use them as Scan tools on ALL (IIRC its all Ford products with OBD-II and I think even OBD-I) Ford cars.
2) When you buy one with specific tunes on them, they are VIN locked. Meaning if you have a 99 CSVT you can NOT go over to your buddies 99 CSVT and flash it and tune it for him as well.
3)IIRC, if you have a SuperChip they can pull that info off the chip and put in the SCT....
Posted By: Pre98 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 02:38 PM
Oh alright. I knew the dyno cost was still $50, the price of the unit was confusing me. That's still awesome, and if I wasnt having work done to the car Id buy a unit ( )

Meh, it happens. I'm still excited
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 05:57 PM
What id we only get say 10 people to buy the unit? Will he still cut us a del, and come out to the dyno?

Im just wondering cause there arent even 15 people signed up for the dyno yet!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 06:30 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
What id we only get say 10 people to buy the unit? Will he still cut us a del, and come out to the dyno?

Im just wondering cause there arent even 15 people signed up for the dyno yet!

This isn't JUST for people on the dyno. ANYONE can get in on this deal. They can flash their computer with their SCT Excalibrator and go drive it on the street if they want, but won't be able to see what "actual" gains they are making on the dyno.

Mark
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 06:50 PM
Ah ok that makes more sense!

Sweet! is there a list of people that are forsure in on this?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/15/05 09:32 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
1) You can use them as Scan tools on ALL (IIRC its all Ford products with OBD-II and I think even OBD-I) Ford cars.

Sorry Ryan, just verified this with Brent, and that's incorrect. The Data Logger can be used as a Ford Scan tool, not the X-Calibrator.

Mark
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/17/05 02:22 AM
Originally posted by 98_HO_Contour:
Sorry for being a noob at this, but other than changing/removing limiters, what will this computer program software really do? Why would you want to change your timing? If the o2 sensors work, why would you want to get rid of them (no headers for me YET)? Please fill me in or gimme a link where I can completely read up on this. This has my attention, but not my cash yet ($300 isn't worth going over 112 MPH)

Can anybody help out? or maybe not?
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/17/05 12:36 PM

Can anybody help out? or maybe not?

generally changing timing is a good thing,the o2's they are talking about are the downstream ones,instead of using mil's when you gut the precats,or have headers you just make the computer think they arent there in the first place,(no cel for them)......its really good if your done with your mods,that way you can tie everything together,i.e air to fuel,timing etc, if you have bigger injectors,or larger maf....if your car is stock, it may not be worth it...if you have a svt you could raise the rev limiter to say 7250 7300, and usually this allows you to hit 60 in second gear...
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/18/05 02:25 PM
Just got another email from Brent. I let him know that there was a slim chance that we'd make the 15 people he was asking for, and asked if he would be interested in a possible group buy for that same price down the road. He said that if we can get atleast 5 people to commit, he'll still program them for $310.00 for one program, and $15 for each additional program. He can have these in time for Spring Zing if we get 5 people. The only thing is, he won't be coming out to Spring Zing for 5 people, as he is a couple hours away.

Hector, I emailed him back asking if he can get the Focus blower files. I let him know you are running a JR S/C on your Zetec, and the files should be pretty similar, only with different computer codes. I'll let you know what I find out.

Mark
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: NEW TUNING INFO!!!! - 04/19/05 03:16 PM
Hector, I emailed him back asking if he can get the Focus blower files. I let him know you are running a JR S/C on your Zetec, and the files should be pretty similar, only with different computer codes. I'll let you know what I find out.

Mark

Hector, Brent emailed me back.. He said he can get the Focus file directly from SCT if you're still interested in a tune..

Mark
© CEG Archives