Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 I'm out :-( - 03/23/05 11:17 PM
I have to have surgery on my neck/throat for sleep apnea and will be out of work for 2-3 weeks, which means no personal time will be left for me to go to SZ. I'm not looking for a refund, just sympathy. Everyone have a beer for me at the event... better yet, have a sip of jugg juice when Trapps shows up. Just don't get own3d by the jugg!
Posted By: Davo Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 12:02 AM
That's too bad, Brad. I hope you can get that taken care of, it's certainly more important. I'll drink some Natty Lite and listen to Bill Engvall for a while on my way up.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Davo:
That's too bad, Brad. I hope you can get that taken care of, it's certainly more important. I'll drink some Natty Lite and listen to Bill Engvall for a while on my way up.

We'll lower our NASCAR window flags to half staff on our endeavours to SZ.

Good luck with the surgery, I hear it's rough for the first couple days.. but after words, it's pure bliss. Do you use a sleep machine? My dad does for his. Pretty serious stuff. He went for a sleep test a couple years ago and stopped breathing in his sleep for 3 1/2 minutes. Hasn't gained enough courage (or time off) to get teh surgery done.
Posted By: m!key Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 12:57 AM
that is too bad man. i hope all goes well with the surgery.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 01:09 AM
You have all my best wishes as well.

I will miss you at SZ.

Posted By: Quicksilver_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 01:35 AM
Well, one of the main reasons I was going this year is to hang with one of the coolest guys of CEG... Can't say I am not disappointed, but your health is paramount to anything you do in your life.

I guess we will catch up some other time my friend... Maybe when my car is finished.

Best of luck with your recovery!
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Well, one of the main reasons I was going this year...

You have to register first. Were closing in on that 50 registered people that you called for.

Brad sorry that you wont be able to make it. Hope all goes well with surgery.
Posted By: xchang_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 03:04 AM
Better late then never Brad. I had sleeping issues and they took out both my tonsils about 5 months ago. Hurt like a [censored] to yawn. I dunno what they are taking out or what procedure is gonna be done, but TAKE THE DRUGS... LOL!

Good luck and best wishes to you! There is always next year.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 03:34 AM
Good luck Brad....looking forward to seeing you again. After the rejuvination of SZ this year.....hoping to see ya next year!
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 05:13 AM
Originally posted by bnoon:
I have to have surgery on my neck/throat for sleep apnea and will be out of work for 2-3 weeks, which means no personal time will be left for me to go to SZ.

Bummer man! I had the same proceedure done last xmas but for different reasons and the recovery was not fun! I know you dont want to hear it but its the truth and make sure you take things slow! Oh and dont drink/eat any dairy products, you'll get some nasty infection-DOH!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 05:14 AM
Hope all goes well Brad. I just got tested for Sleep Apnea and am going in to get tested for narcalepsy. I just wish they would yank my tonisls.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 07:36 AM
sorry to hear that. good luck!
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 01:35 PM
As with everyone else , sorry you can't make it to Spring Zing , Brad .
Good luck with the operation & hoping for a quick recovery for ya !
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 02:37 PM
Just come to SZ and I'll personally perform the operation. Maybe I can do a little "How-To"

In all seriousness, good luck with the operation and keep us posted!

Mark
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Just come to SZ and I'll personally perform the operation. Maybe I can do a little "How-To"

Mark

The surgery is similar to boring(sp?) an intake

I agree you should come! We will make sure you when the Extrude Hone raffel and you'll be set!

Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 04:57 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

The surgery is similar to boring(sp?) an intake

I agree you should come! We will make sure you when the Extrude Hone raffel and you'll be set!

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 06:09 PM
Nah, just consider him "optimized".

Rick
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 06:19 PM
For what
Originally posted by Buckshot77:

Rick

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 06:29 PM
For better air flow silly! I'd hate to think of any other reasons for him removing things from his throat. That get's into the whole don't ask, don't tell policy! LOL
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 08:03 PM

Rick

Yeah he needs his TB optimized! Good call, dont you offer that as a servie Rick?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 08:31 PM
Ya I do, but the main joke was that I learned it from him!
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/24/05 10:29 PM
Ya I do, but the main joke was that I learned it from him!

Hahaha thats great, I didnt know that!
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/25/05 11:19 PM
Originally posted by LilStripedRocket:
Good luck with the surgery, I hear it's rough for the first couple days.. but after words, it's pure bliss. Do you use a sleep machine? My dad does for his. Pretty serious stuff. He went for a sleep test a couple years ago and stopped breathing in his sleep for 3 1/2 minutes. Hasn't gained enough courage (or time off) to get teh surgery done.

Wow, you guys know more than I thought you would. They told me it was common, but I guess I just didn't believe!

My type of sleep apnea is even more serious than stopping breathing for one long period of time. If that's what your dad's main problem is, good for him. At least it's a bit more manageable. Mine is the kind where I stop breathing waaaaaaaaay to many times an hour. 20 awakenings an hour = bad sleep apnea, 30 times an hour = serious sleep apnea that needs to be treated including an increased risk to heart attack and/or stroke... I have 45 awakenings an hour!

I had a sleep machine since October. Could never get used to it due to the large difference in flow I would experience during an awakening vs. just going to sleep. Tried 4 different masks, 4 different pillows, different sleeping positions, etc. Sugery is the final option to try to beat this thing. Even if I have to go back on the sleep machine, at least the settings will hopefully become more manageable.

Originally posted by xchang:
Better late then never Brad. I had sleeping issues and they took out both my tonsils about 5 months ago. Hurt like a [censored] to yawn. I dunno what they are taking out or what procedure is gonna be done, but TAKE THE DRUGS... LOL!

Good luck and best wishes to you! There is always next year.

Good thing is, I won't have to yawn any more though, right? Even getting down to 20 awakenings an hour would make me feel so clinicly better than I am right now, I would feel cured! WAHOOOOOOOOO! I've already got 10mg of Ambien to knock me out to keep me asleep on the machine. More drugs legally?!?!? GIMMIE GIMMIE!

Bummer man! I had the same proceedure done last xmas but for different reasons and the recovery was not fun! I know you dont want to hear it but its the truth and make sure you take things slow! Oh and dont drink/eat any dairy products, you'll get some nasty infection-DOH!

I know, I know... I've gone this far though and I am NOT going to use this freaking machine the rest of my life. Instead, hook me up to the five and a half horse Craftsman compressor in my garage, set the regulator to about 15 psi, and keep me oiled after every use... just like the impact gun...

Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Hope all goes well Brad. I just got tested for Sleep Apnea and am going in to get tested for narcalepsy. I just wish they would yank my tonisls.

I knew you were a Nark! Good luck man. I hope it's not serious. They can restrict your driving with that one (crosses fingers for you)

For better air flow silly! I'd hate to think of any other reasons for him removing things from his throat. That get's into the whole don't ask, don't tell policy! LOL

You think I should get before and after flow numbers from PnP? Before and after dyno RUN perhaps? What's my quarter mile time going to be? Should I improve my exhaust after making this induction mod? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Maybe I should shoot a video and do a SZ presentation for next year's SZ...
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: I'm out :-( - 03/26/05 12:39 AM
Good luck with the surgery. I know my mom has sleeping problems too she was on some machine. My G/F says I stop breathing in my sleep too for a period of time. I dunno I do know I snore like a chainsaw..might have to look into getting tested. Where di you go a normal doctor or a speciallist?
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/26/05 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
Good luck with the surgery. I know my mom has sleeping problems too she was on some machine. My G/F says I stop breathing in my sleep too for a period of time. I dunno I do know I snore like a chainsaw..might have to look into getting tested. Where di you go a normal doctor or a speciallist?

Go to your normal family doctor first and they'll discuss the options for more in depth tests in your area. You can also do some pretty significant searching online about it too. Have your girlfriend read the list of symtoms. If you have more than a couple symptoms, go see someone A.S.A.P.

If you stop breathing, that's not good... but it's not always apnea. It takes a certain length of stoppage, a body awakening, and frequency of stoppage to be apnea. No matter what they diagnose you with though, stopping breathing lowers your oxygen level in your blood, which causes your heart to race... which is why the risk is so high for heart attack and stroke. Only way to know for sure is to have someone check you out. You and your girlfriend will get more sleep and you'll end up with more energy, for uh... other things.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: I'm out :-( - 03/26/05 05:36 AM

Wow, you guys know more than I thought you would. They told me it was common, but I guess I just didn't believe!

My type of sleep apnea is even more serious than stopping breathing for one long period of time. If that's what your dad's main problem is, good for him. At least it's a bit more manageable. Mine is the kind where I stop breathing waaaaaaaaay to many times an hour. 20 awakenings an hour = bad sleep apnea, 30 times an hour = serious sleep apnea that needs to be treated including an increased risk to heart attack and/or stroke... I have 45 awakenings an hour!

I had a sleep machine since October. Could never get used to it due to the large difference in flow I would experience during an awakening vs. just going to sleep. Tried 4 different masks, 4 different pillows, different sleeping positions, etc. Sugery is the final option to try to beat this thing. Even if I have to go back on the sleep machine, at least the settings will hopefully become more manageable.

Wees aynt dum peepol... edumakaytid i iz!

45 awakinings is some serious stuff. My dad average about 30... thus, the sleepmachine. It actually works VERY well for him, but I can tell the air passage ways when you lay down probably close up tight like Fort Knox. I'm sure you are probably pumped a bit to get the procedure done, be able to get a GOOD nights rest for once. Once again, best of luck man... drink lots of milkshakes.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: I'm out :-( - 03/26/05 01:41 PM
sorry to hear that..and i hope the surgery goes well, my step father has it as well, although no were as severe as you....good luck and hope to see ya next year...btw they whey things are looking i'm on the verge of being out as well.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: I'm out :-( - 03/26/05 01:45 PM
Bnoon one more question. When you say awakenings do you mean you literally wake up? because I sleep right through it all. My g/f said its probablt for a few seconds or so..but idunno. I guess I'll have to look into it more.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/26/05 08:36 PM
I have a friend who I swear must have sleep apnea, but he hasn't gotten tested to prove it.
They recently got a tempurpedic bed (since we raved about ours so much) and he said it has helped his sleep/snoring dramatically. I still urged him to go get tested but he's stinkin cheap and stubborn.

Best of luck to you.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/27/05 06:16 AM
Bnoon one more question. When you say awakenings do you mean you literally wake up? because I sleep right through it all. My g/f said its probablt for a few seconds or so..but idunno. I guess I'll have to look into it more.

Actually with sleep apnea you will wake all those times, but you yourself wont recall waking at all. This is because it only happens for a split second and you never consciously realize it. Someone that sleeps with you would most likely be the only one to notice.

The reason why its so hard on your body,especially your heart is becaue you cut off O2 to your system and then your body jolts itself awake to open the passage ways to get the oxygen back into your system. My Dad has it really bad and this is all a what he has gone through.

There is a huge sleep study center in MN that specializes in sleep disorders.

Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/29/05 05:59 PM

Actually with sleep apnea you will wake all those times, but you yourself wont recall waking at all. This is because it only happens for a split second and you never consciously realize it. Someone that sleeps with you would most likely be the only one to notice.

The reason why its so hard on your body,especially your heart is becaue you cut off O2 to your system and then your body jolts itself awake to open the passage ways to get the oxygen back into your system. My Dad has it really bad and this is all a what he has gone through.

There is a huge sleep study center in MN that specializes in sleep disorders.

Correct. You don't always wake up all the way each time, but the reverse can also be true if it happens often enough that you can actually get some amount of sleep and not even know it because you do wake up so often! On me, this was misdiagnosed as hypertensive insomnia, treated with sleep aids that actually made my sleep apnea worse. Good times. Dreams of drowning, falling, or any other instance that you would lose your breath are very common.

The jolting that your body does to wake itself and clear the airways are usually the most disruptive to your bed partner. My wife was tired of elbowing me in the middle of the night for me to roll over onto my side (apnea is worse on your back). For some people, it's as simple as sleeping with a "huggie pillow" to keep them on their side, or sleeping at an inclined position.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/29/05 06:02 PM
So in other words you're bruised up like no other!
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: I'm out :-( - 03/29/05 06:03 PM
I'll have to look into it....and what my friggin insurance will cover
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/29/05 10:07 PM

First point is to make an appointment with your regular doctor. From there, they should be doing most of the finding out of what insurance does and does not cover. You pay them the money for premiums, make them do all of the work you can.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: I'm out :-( - 03/30/05 04:52 PM

First point is to make an appointment with your regular doctor. From there, they should be doing most of the finding out of what insurance does and does not cover. You pay them the money for premiums, make them do all of the work you can.

yeah I know ever since our company changed to BCBS. Its sucked bigtime I get raped on perscriptions,and for some reason the discount for supporting doctors BCBS still isn't much. Going to the doctor is like going to a dealership
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: I'm out :-( - 03/30/05 07:09 PM

yeah I know ever since our company changed to BCBS. Its sucked bigtime I get raped on perscriptions,and for some reason the discount for supporting doctors BCBS still isn't much. Going to the doctor is like going to a dealership

I know how you feel. I'm with United Health care and from last year to this year we went from a 100% plan, with $10 copay for visits and $15 copay for scripts, to an 80/20 plan, with $15 copay on doctor visits and $40 copay on on scripts if your drugs are not on "the list" and $25 scripts copay if they happen to be one of the chosen few. On top of that, our premiums have gone up almost 30% for this lesser plan... If Canada had better weather, I'd move North. Free health care vs. a lesser dollar worth is an even trade off in my book.
© CEG Archives