Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: DJcougar How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/19/04 11:25 PM
Anyone know how to adjust these?
Car wont shift into gear when cold in the morning...nver used to do this...and the fluid is new also.
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/22/04 12:06 AM
AFAIK, you can only adjust the neutral position. I've posted a few times trying to find out how to adjust the throw/play, but never got any responses. There's nothing in the service manual either AFAIK.
Posted By: DJcougar Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/22/04 09:39 AM
thanks for the reply.
After 40 views I thought at least someone would reply, considering the gods of ceg can build engines, push out big power, and talk about all of the intricate details of the contour.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/22/04 09:55 AM
I'm definitely not one of the 'gods' of the MTX-75, but I can say this sounds like typical synchro wear; not something that can be fixed by adjusting your shifter. Also, this question probably would have gotten a better reponse from the Transaxle forum. There is currently a discussion about "hard-shifting when cold" going on right now, as there almost always is at any given time.

EDIT: here's a Link
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/22/04 07:02 PM
i iwsh i could adjust teh cable i have a bit of play on the lever front to back it seemed a bit more when the dealer put in new gear changer that goes on top of the tranny.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/22/04 07:30 PM
what fluid? that could easily be it. try running through the gears as the cars warms up (while sitting still)
Posted By: DJcougar Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/22/04 09:15 PM
Thanks for the replies...mobil 1 cocktail...brand new...I actually start it up and put it in first...if I dont it wont go into any gear.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 02/22/04 09:29 PM
Yeah, search for fluid cold shifting or something and you will find a lot on how the "mod" fluids do in cold weather... the reason i'm not putting in redline until spring
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/17/06 10:49 PM
Digging up old thread...

So is there a way to adjust cables? With the Ford CDs, it says go to section ..... and I can't find anything about adjusting in that section. Just wondering if I replace the cable end, does it need adjusting afterward?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/17/06 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
...So is there a way to adjust cables? ...

I think this might help.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d4/1f/0900823d801bd41f.jsp
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/17/06 11:48 PM
Those AutoZone instructions are for the rod style shifter, 95 97 Contique.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/18/06 03:05 AM
I got the new shift end on. What a PITA. I first tried just the bushing, but could not press the bushing into the end while it was on the car. I was able to snatch really hard on the end and get it off the cable, pressed the bushing back into the new end and then filed down the small plastic lip on the end a bit to make getting it back on the cable easier.

I'm working on the suspension right now so I can't get it on the ground yet, but after getting the end on, I shifted through the gears and it would go in every one, but fifth felt sorta hard to get into and moving it around in neutral is sorta clanky where it didn't used to be. I have no idea how a good condition svt shifter is supposed to feel and I have no idea if I didn't mess anything up until I get it back on the ground.

When putting the end on, is it possible to move the gear selector on the tranny and then be in the wrong spot when you put it back together? If so, how do I know what gear/neutral it's in? How should it look? Thanks.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/18/06 12:36 PM
When the weight is straight up and down.

Did the 98 ends last night big PITA. Hands are killing from lack of room. Realized there is a small notch on the cable ends. Have to get the end over it and you have to apply a lot of pressure to do so. When you do this it wants to push the cable in, of course, to a point where it's hard to get a hand on it. Had to do both ends. What a PITA the top black one is. Don't know how you get a piece of tape in there to mark the spot. I have a pair of cables lying around with the ends still on for reference. By looking at that and putting the trans in neutral I got them locked in. Nice firm shifting now.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/18/06 05:29 PM
Originally posted by todras:
When the weight is straight up and down.

Did the 98 ends last night big PITA. Hands are killing from lack of room. Realized there is a small notch on the cable ends. Have to get the end over it and you have to apply a lot of pressure to do so. When you do this it wants to push the cable in, of course, to a point where it's hard to get a hand on it. Had to do both ends. What a PITA the top black one is. Don't know how you get a piece of tape in there to mark the spot. I have a pair of cables lying around with the ends still on for reference. By looking at that and putting the trans in neutral I got them locked in. Nice firm shifting now.

Are the extra pair of cable ends 1998's or later ... later cables (Cougar at least) have a smaller diameter shank and thread pitch than the 1998.5 SVT Contour cables and ARE NOT interchangable. If your extras are for a 1998.5 SVT, I'm interested in purchasing them if you are interested in selling them.

Sorry for the hijacking
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/18/06 06:17 PM
I changed the early 98 ends. These are the only ones that can obtained. The 98.5 on up can not be found and the entire cable has to be used unfortunately.

Terry responds to my quips with...

"Don't know how you get a piece of tape in
there to mark the spot."

Unbolt the cable bracket from the trans...slide back the rubber boot...could use a white paint pen or a blade to mark the position of the square inner.....with the bracket unbolted you can work under the hood...Does that help!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/18/06 09:40 PM
Mine is a 98.5 and I just bought the end.

So when the part that the white cable end attachs to is straight up and down, then it's in neural??
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/19/06 09:55 PM
I drove it today. First through fourth work fine (3rd gear still feels a bit sloppy) but it would not reach fifth. The shifter feels a bit tighter than I think it should in neutral.

What do I do? Thanks.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: How to adjust shifter cables? - 05/20/06 06:19 AM
Have an assistant in the car. Disconnect the white cable end from the trans. Move the trans to neutral by moving the shift tower. With the help of your assistant find the neutral gate, the area that will permit the shift handle to move freely back and forth. Adjust the white cable end to line up precisely with this point and slide it back onto the shift tower attaching pin. Try shifting to see, but it will probably be lined up now. This is next to impossible without an assistant.
© CEG Archives