Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: btrautman ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/15/04 04:26 AM
Well I thought I'd create a picture "documentary" on the rebuilding of my ATX. Hope some find it useful. I first want to begin with the parts I have purchased. The first item I purchased was an external oil cooler.

I plan on using this as well as the built in cooler. This Hayden stacked cooler plate which provides 33% more efficiency in cooling over the stock aluminum fin type - at least that is what they say. This unit does seem to be a bit more sturdy and comes with an installation kit.

The next item I purchased was the electronic shift selonoid unit. I was strongly encourged to replace this unit during a rebuild

Next item purchased was an intermediate and overdirve band assembly. Wasn't sure if I would need a new one, but this was not that expensive...might as well!

I next purchased a Master rebuild kit. This includes the clutches shown here:

The next item is the bushing kit

Next item is bearing kit

Also purchased a remote atx filter kit that BigJim clued me onto:

Next picture of engine bay of me disconnecting everything to pull engine and trans through top.

One of the biggest problems that I understand with this transmission is oil pump blowout. There is a new bushing plate and gasket for the oil pump that is supposed to prevent this. The oil pump housing has some a new design, but it is not required to purchase this. I decided to purchase a complete up-to-date oil pump assembly from Bill Jenkins.

There is a specialty tool kit that is required to check end play, etc. The next two pictures show this kit. Thanks to Fastcougar for lending me this kit!!!!

Last but certainly not least, always have an assitant to help you do this kind of work!

I also purchased a Transgo shift kit which I do not have picured here as well as a new overdrive servo piston.

I HIGHLY recommend www.bulkparts.com for your transmission parts. They have been great with me, explaing some things.....
About the only item left I have to purchase is the torque converter. I'm waiting to get mine out to be sure I purchase the correct one. O'Reilly has this and their prices is $100.00.

I am also waiting for a engine lift that I bought. It should be delivered next week so I can pull the engine and tranny out. At this point in time, I'm pretty much on hold.

Hope some of this provide good info. I will update this section with pictures as I teardown and rebuild the atx.

Regards,
Bob
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/15/04 06:47 AM
Shoulda did the Image command, so I dont hafta keep pressing Control to override my popup blocker (im too lazy to disable popup blocker)
Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/15/04 01:10 PM
Awsome stuff BT!!! Best of luck on that rebuild.

P.S. I didn't get any pop-ups when viewing the pics.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/15/04 03:01 PM
good luck on the rebuild, be sure to keep us up to date with step by step pics!

i might try this in teh summer with my spare CD4E just to see if i can do it
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/16/04 08:00 AM
My pop-up blocker is on a strict blockage (last time I let some odd popup though, 10 more popped up past the popup blocker, and ruined my PC...)
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/16/04 08:04 AM
If I ever have to rebuild....to a respectable trans builder it goes....along with some performance parts!

Good Luck!!!
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/16/04 02:17 PM
From what I have seen, to rebuild this trans is usually around 1800 to 2000 dollars. And even then, not everything that should be replaced or checked is usually is.... I've heard of too many horror stories of having the cd4e rebuilt with continual problem. I've rebuilt manual and atx before but it was quite some time ago.....I plan on keeping this car and want it done right and completly..... Thus the reason I'm rebuilding the motor also......

Bob
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/17/04 12:13 AM
Well, making progress, pulled the axles among other work...gettting close to pulling motor and atx.

Did find that my passenger side control arm bushings were shot. Could move the control arm sideways....I replaced the drivers side about 2 months ago. Tie rod ends fell apart when removing them..guess I'll have tor replace these.

Stabalizer links are also worn and will have to be replaced.

Exhaust system was a piece of cake removing.... With axle puller from Auto Zone loan the axles did not give me that much trouble.....
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/17/04 03:20 AM
Originally posted by btrautman:
With axle puller from Auto Zone loan the axles did not give me that much trouble.....

lol i just yanked on my axles and they popped right out, it did seperate the joint though but i just tapped it back in place with a rubber mallet, all is well
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/19/04 06:25 PM
I didn't see a TransGo CD4Ejr shift kit or an upgraded valve body assembly. Are you going to purchase one of those choices for your rebuild?

I've picked up the CD4Ejr kit for myself, but need to get a tiny little drill bit before I can complete the mod.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/19/04 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I didn't see a TransGo CD4Ejr shift kit or an upgraded valve body assembly. Are you going to purchase one of those choices for your rebuild?

I've picked up the CD4Ejr kit for myself, but need to get a tiny little drill bit before I can complete the mod.

i was afriad of messing with the tranny so i paid a shop $90 to install my shiftkit and the sonnax valves
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/20/04 04:21 AM
I did purchase one and install it. I was hoping that it would cure my transmission ills. Well the shifting that did occur was veryyyy smooth. However my trans kept slipping out of gear which is the cause of my trans rebuild. I contact transgo support and asked them about my situation....They laughed and said that with 169,000 miles I was lucky my atx lasted this long!!!! They said the biggest problems with these atx's are the oil pump blowout problem. Thus the reason I purchased a whole new revised oil pump assembly. At least when I rebuild the trans, I won't have to do any work on the valve body.....This kit is worth every penny. You can pick the kit up from www.bulkparts.com for around $30 which is a good deal. Plus you can install this kit without pulling the trans as I did.

Regards,
Bob
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/22/04 11:07 PM
Well, I finally pulled the ATX and Engine today. It came out through the top of the car with very little problems. I just had to ensure that I did have wiring disconnected, etc. I guess I also found the problem with my coolant tempature sensor, I went to remove the clip and the sensor broke in half! I wondered why I was having interrmitent problems!!!

On to the actual atx rebuild!!!!

Posted By: Russell-3L Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/22/04 11:22 PM
how hard was it to pull them out as 1 unit?
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/23/04 02:56 AM
Russell,

It really wasnt that hard! The toughest time I had was removing the radiator and fan assembly. Tight fit in there as you know.... The exhaust y pipe came off quite easily. The rear mount torx bolt was a pita to remove. I couldn't remove one of the bolts and just removed the center mount bold to free up the back of the engine. As I raised the engine up, I disconnected wiring in back of the engine as I had clearance to do so. I had to completly remove the front engine mount but what I did was remove the bolts holding it to the frame and raised the engine until the top of the mount was accessable above the car and just removed the bolts holding it to the block. After that the engine came right out and I even had enough clearance with my overhead garage door open above us. I have the car in the garage and am doing this work. If I tried to do this in my driveway my friendly neighboorhood association would have started sending me notices quicker than a speeding locomotive!

I am glad I removed it from above instead of from below. Now on to the fun part!!!!

Bob
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/23/04 03:13 AM
Bob,

I have been telling everyone that pulling the engine/transmission as a single unit for awhile now. However, everyone likes snub their nose at the fact that it's easier and faster than seperating them inside the engine bay.

It looks like everything is going well. Good luck with the tranny tear down. You might want to have that camera looked at ... focus seems to be off
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/23/04 03:15 AM
i didnt remove my fans or radiator!
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/23/04 03:21 AM
Well I wasn't sure on the radiator to remove it or not...so if in doubt I removed it to be sure I didn't damage it.

FastCougar....it really was easy......I have a neighbor that has a 95 contour. When I told him I pulled the complete unit from above....he didn't believe it until he came over and looked at the results...he even voluntered to lend me his engine stand to work on trans and engine!!!!

Thanks for the advice!!!! I'm hitting the sack...I am bushed after today's fun!

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/24/04 12:49 AM
Well here are some pictures of the atx after pulling it apart. Quite amazingly everything looks very clean. The clutches are worn but are still in decent shape. Checked gear teeth and all look great. Chain is in good shape also. With a 628 converter clutch slippage, I'm thinking it has to be either the oil pump, torque converter and/or the electronic selonoid...all of which are being replaced.

Oh yes, one picture shows the magnet with a thick layer of particles. The other shows the otc tool to replace the sprag in trans case. I'm not sure if it needs replaced but i'm gonna replace it anyway!!

Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/25/04 06:59 AM
Bob,

Since this will be my next project, this spring/summer, I have a few questions:

1) will I need any "specialty" tools aside from the kit that I sent you? I have a depth micrometer, but IIRC, there is something similar in the CD4E tool kit to check for endplay.

2) I ordered an engine stand since I recently purchased a 98-99 3.0L from a Taurus ... it will go nicely with my SVT heads Question: can you take some pictures of how you attached the tranny case to the stand? Since the stand and engine will be ariving soon, and the tranny rebuild is my next mod, I need to decide if I will just leave the engine in the crate until the tranny is rebuilt.

3) Having fun yet?

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/27/04 01:54 AM
Hey Fastcougar!

The kit does have the endplate adapter and bar. I'll get you some pics of the trans mount on engine stand. The kit also has a plate to allow you to mount it on the engine stand. In the atx case there is a needle bearing that is pressed into the case. I recommend replacing this. You have to press it out. The kit has the two adapters for removing and installing the bearing into the case, however, a threaded rod is needed with two nuts to press this bearing out. I went to O'Reilly's and bought a threaded rod with two nuts and used this, it worked perfectly. The new bearing from ford is like 12 dollars, very reasonable. When I return the kit I'll includ the rod and nuts, my small way of saying thank you.

The only problem that I have so far, is that I don't have bushing tools to remove and replace the bushings. I talked to a machine shop that is doing my engine work, he doesn't normally do anything with transmissions, but he said bring the parts by and he'll see if he has the bushing adapters to remove and replace. A bushing tool is nothing but a large flat washer shape piece of metal that you use to pound out the busing and pound it back in. The prices I've seen on the internet are outrageous to say the least! Tomorrow, I'll begin to reassemble my trans with pics of course.

I did have a devil of a problem removing a pin on the drive selector rod in case. It broke in half when I was removing it and I wasn't able to get the rod out. I then tried to remove the seal with it in place and it popped out quite easily. I cleaned the shaft, lubed it and the seal and the new one popped right in place with only a little pressure needed. I just ensured the remaining pin was in firmly and didn't really have to take it out since I was able to replace the seal anyway.

I figure by Saturday I should have this trans back together if the machine shop can help me with the bushings...if not I'll have to find another way to replace the bushings....

From what I read bushing clearance is critical for effective fluid transfer. Thus the reason I really want to replace all these bushings...The bushing kit was only like 27 dollars for all.....

Bob
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/27/04 08:15 PM
Well found my first problem on disassembly and cleaning. Forward clutch pack had a broken plastic washer(Washer - Direct Drum/Direct Shell). It was in pieces. Circular piston seals were also hard as a rock and did not seem to be sealing..... wonder what would have caused this washer to fall apart - maybe high temp? What I could see of the washer it did not seem to be worn just broken up in pieces. More and more I'm starting to suspect the oil pump blew out....I'll include pictures soon.....

Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/28/04 01:19 AM
Well found my first problem on disassembly and cleaning. Forward clutch pack had a broken plastic washer(Washer - Direct Drum/Direct Shell). It was in pieces. ..... wonder what would have caused this washer to fall apart - maybe high temp? What I could see of the washer it did not seem to be worn just broken up in pieces. More and more I'm starting to suspect the oil pump blew out....I'll include pictures soon.....

The early model CD4E's, 94-late 97 to early 98, had the old style filter, which did not have the baypass. Ford found early on, in Europe, the forward/direct clutch packs were burnning up durning extended high rpm operation. They redesigned alot of different things, including forward sprag, direct drum, steel plates and this is also when they switched to Kevlar Composite clutches.

Anyway, it too another company to find that at high rpms, the clutch pack in question is actually starved of fluid. This will of course induce a nice amount of heat and wear.

Hope some of that helps you find out what possible went on.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/28/04 04:07 PM
Can someone tell me where I can find the atx serial number on the transmission? I need to verify what serial number I have.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/28/04 04:14 PM
Well, when I was getting ready to reassemble the trans, I spotted this, Is this what it seems to be????

Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/28/04 06:00 PM
Yikes ... looks like a nice big crack to me

If it's inside the casing, I would be worried about using some JB Weld. The case is aluminum, so it would require a TIG welder to fix that crack.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/28/04 11:04 PM
Can someone tell me where I can find the atx serial number on the transmission? I need to verify what serial number I have.

Thanks,
Bob

You should be able to find the serial number on the bottom of the valve body cover. There should be a decal there that has all that info on it.

Man! That is one heck of big crack!!
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/28/04 11:18 PM
For Sale! Rare vintage auto decor regal planter. Planter is in shape of the classic FORD Electronic Shift Control ATX transmission patterend after the now infamous 1995 FORD Contour - the original, the first on the scene in making automative history. I will sell this planter atx case to the first taker at only $500. Please act quickly it won't last long at this price!!!!

WANTED: Leads on a the best pricing on a Ford ATX case for 95 Contour.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/29/04 01:28 AM
WANTED: Leads on a the best pricing on a Ford ATX case for 95 Contour.

Thanks,
Bob

Check here and you will find a few. Not sure if any of them are in your area, but I think you know where I am going with this.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/29/04 05:20 AM
Well, After much research I've decided I'm going to push forward with this rebuild and use JB Weld to seal this crack.

Here is there url that talks about the product.

http://www.jbweld.net/coldweld.html

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Bob

Posted By: Russell-3L Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/29/04 07:34 AM
i think jb weld could do it, we use it in our 3L hybrids

personally id take it to a welder in your area, its a better solution
Posted By: Kasey Chang Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/29/04 05:46 PM
Hmmm... So cracked tranny case CAN be welded or even JBWelded? That increases my options somewhat... (I have a cracked tranny case too).
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/29/04 06:28 PM
I don't know about welded. But I did some research and the JB Weld product seems too good to be true. It states in has been used in cylinder heads! Impervious to oil, gasoline, water, etc. and can withstand vibration, pressure, etc. I am going this route and see how it works. This product has been around for quite some time from what I understand......
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/29/04 06:53 PM
First item checked is Drive Carrier and differential assembly. No chips, nicks, etc. All is fine.

Next item checked is the low one-way clutch assembly, It was taken apart and cleaned, inspected and all is well. Check was made of proper rotation within race to be sure it was reassembled correctly, etc.

Forward One Way Clutch assembly was taken aprt and inspected. No nicks, chipped teeth, etc. Reassembled and checked for proper rotation within race.

Driven needle bearing in case was replaced with threaded rod and puller. No problems here.

Lube tube was removed from seal in case. Seal in case was removed and replaced. Lube tube was reassembled. Apparently this lube tube is a pressure fit into this seal. The valve body provides oil to this valley which the lube tube then drips onto the driven needle bearing in case - where axle goes through. It is critical to replace this seal to ensure that good fit is made between seal and tube.

One tool that I will have to purchase is a seal protector kit. The piston seal on the clutch piston, etc. has to be compressed for it to fit into the piston assembly - other wise it is quite easy to pinch or damage the seal. I am getting a quote from Transtar Industries that has this kit in their catalog.....I hope it is not too much!!!!!

The other tool that is perhaps needed is the clutch spring compressor. This item is over a hundred dollars and more from what I have seen. However, I went out and bought 2 6" C clamps $9.99 each. I then placed 2 flat bars on the other side of the direct housing. The base of the c-clamps resed on this bar and I just clamped down on the spring retainers until I had enough room to remove the retaining clip. Total cost $20 vs $100 and more.

On disassembling the Forward/Coast Direct Clutch Cylinder assembly, I find I need to replace the retainer and springs - there are two of them. These are not that expensive. I also have to replace the Forward Clutch piston assembly. This part is about $60. I had some grooves warn into the inner surface where the coast clutch piston fits.... The rest of this assembly has been checked and is fine.

Now out to buy some JB Weld for the cracked case.....

Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 02/29/04 08:46 PM

Now out to buy some JB Weld for the cracked case.....

FWIW, It does work well. However, it only works as well as the prep.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the area with a good solvent. Use a dremel and open the crack a ittle to get good penetration. Also, I would consider drilling a hole at the ends of the crack to stop the crack from propagating. Use a small screw to fill the hole after applying the JB welb. Use a flood lamp to heat the area after applying and give it more than the 24 hours needed to dry. The heat will speed up the drying but still give it plenty of time to cure. It will propably be stronger than the case around it.

Have fun..
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/01/04 01:18 AM
Could you recommend a good solvent? Thanks for the tips I'll certainly follow them....

Bob
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/01/04 05:38 AM
Could you recommend a good solvent? Thanks for the tips I'll certainly follow them....

Bob

99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol is your best bet.
It will remove any oil and will air dry.
It will not hurt any rubber or plastic or metal.

DO NOT use 70% Rubbing Alcohol.
It is NOT the same.

Good luck with the JB Weld.
I would have the case scanned for any further crackage that you do not
readily see before attemping and after attempting repair.

Looks like your oil pump did spike, and crack your case...
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/02/04 12:48 AM
OK, I was told that for a lip seal protector kit for the CD4E the price of this kit from toolsource would be $110.00!!!!! This seal kit is made by ATEC tools in san antonio. Well I really have a hard time paying for something that I will only use once and that is made out of plastic that is $110. Someone is taking advantage of somebody and it is not me!!! So, I talked to a few people, one ole boy said that when he rebuilt transmissions for a living he used "piano wire" to seat the seals. This got me to thinking, I went out and purchased a sheet of medium gauge plastic. I cut this into a strip of 4 inches high by whatever circumference I needed for the piston. I then wrapped it around the piston and pushed the piston into the assembly.....and you know what happened it worked like a champ!!!! After it was seated, I just pulled the plastic out from the sides with no problem. I thought I'd pass this tip on to those that might want to rebuild their CD4e and come across this problem!!!!!

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/03/04 03:25 AM
The next picture is of the case housing that was repaired with JB Weld. First crack was ground down a bit and surrounding surface roughed up, surface was then cleaned with laquer thinner, last JB Weld was mixed and applied

Next Direct/Coast- Coast side Clutch drum is reassembled

Coast Clutch Plunger Assembly

Coast Clutch Piston

Retainer Spring - Coast Clutch

Forward One-Way Clutch and Low-Intermediate Sun Gear Assembly

This was taken apart cleaned, inspected and reassembled. It is import to pay attention to how sprag is reassembled, there is an thin and thick end cap that mounts on the sprag in a specific way according to drag clip orientation.

Low One-Way Clutch Assembly, cleaned and inspected and then reassembled and check for proper rotation that indicates if you reassembled it correctly and or working correctly.

Final Drive Carrier and Differential Assembly,

Cleaned, checked for nicks, etc. and then reassembled.

This weekend I'll include pictures on the final direct/coast drum assembly completion.

Making progress!!!

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/05/04 12:57 AM
Well, I assembled the coast/drive clutch/drum and performed a pressure test. It turns out I had a leaking seal. removed the pistons and found one seal was torn. Looks like my homemade plastic wrap did not quite work. I have broke down and purchased a the seal piston kit locally. I have also picked up a replacement piston from Ford, it was only around 7 dollars or so. I will retake pictures using the seal piston protectors..... Guess I'll have this up for sale when I'm through with it! The pressure test method with an air compressor is a nice way to check proper sealing BEFORE it is installed back in the car! I plan on having everything back together this weekend.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/05/04 03:03 AM
One thing I forgot....I beginning to know this transmission like the back of my hand! Sheesh!

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/06/04 06:28 AM
Well I had a good chuckle today. I went to a wholesale transmission parts house - you know the kind..... industrial side of town, make a wrong turn and you get a uncomfortable feeling, etc. I went straight from the office to the parts house. Of course walking in, all these ole boys were in the coverhauls, work uniforms, etc. I walk in with office attire. Upon entering the shop, the counter person asks if he can help me. I tell him, I need a seal protector kit for the Forward/Direct/Coast Piston on a CD4E. As he is looking it up one ole boy looks over at me and says, Do you rebuild transmissions? I smiled and said only when I have to! He looked at me and then said you don't look like no tranmission rebuilder to me!!!! I laughed and told him a man's gotta do what a man's gotta due when Ford wants to reach in my pocket at take at least $2000 to fix my tranmission. They all busted out laughing at that point. Actually this guy was there for a manual lever sensor for a CD4E on a Mazda 626. We started talking about rebuilding the CD4E. I asked him if he was able to assemble the piston assemblies with out the seal protector kit, he said no way. He had to pick one up also. We talked about endplay measurements, Reverse Clutch 2 hole lube alignment to drum - easy to miss and will cause clutch burnout. After our conversation he then asked very seriously about how long I have been rebuilding tranmissions. I told him the last tranmission I rebuilt was about 10 years ago. He shook his head and mumbled something about me doing my homework. The parts house was also telling me that in the past few months they have been having ALOT of parts being sold for the CD4E - gotta love FORD for this!

When I arrived home, I tried using the seal protector on the piston in the reverse drum assembly. Previously with me homemade tools, I spent a couple of hours trying to get this piston into the hub. With this protector it took me....let me see counting...... 30 seconds!!!!!!

Did a test assemble on the remaining pistons and it worked like a champ! 5 pieces of plastic which I paid a total of $122

The only other semi difficult assembly is the retainer springs. I have had to use c-clamps and a few strips of flat metal to compress the springs...patience here...nothing like the piston seals but it requires a little bit of patience.

I tried to purchase a VSS sensor, but when I looked at the sensor it did not include the gear. I thought they were sold as a unit? I didn't purchase it until I could verify.

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/07/04 09:51 PM
Ok,

The next pictures should I hope prove helpful.

The first picture shows the C-Clamps I used to remove and replace the retainer and spring assemblies. The metal corner braces are used to keep from deforming the metal retainer from the c-clamp base. Reverse Assembly is shown here.

Next is a picture of one of the plastic seal protectors.....

Placing piston in seal protector

Direct clutch drum assembly, I use the piece of metal to protect the underside when I use c-clamps to remove the spring retainers. I was trying to find something that would work, and found this when I went to pick up my wife at her office..they were throwing these decorative metal fixtures out when I spotted this.

This picture is important. when assembling this reverse clutch hub to reverse drum, there are two slots under the reverse hub. These slots MUST match with the two holes that are in the clutch drum. If you don't get this right, you will have to repull the trans and correct this. The ATSG manual says NOTHING about this. Nowhere did I find this information. I happen to run across one of the links on Unisys site which clued me to this! Thanks Unisys. I have inserted a wire to check if holes in the drum are in alignment with the clutch hub. You can't see on the other side so a flashlight, etc will not work.

Shot of transmission getting ready to insert reverse piston with seal protector.

Final assembly in place with seal protector removed:

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/07/04 10:10 PM
Well today I was planning on adding the final pictures but ran into a problem. When I was at a key point, I did a pressure check of the piston assemblies. What this test does is that it checks if the pistons move within their bore and correctly move the clutch assemblies. If you get hissing or don't hear the pistons move then you have a problem. I first checked the servo assembly. Upon using compressed air 40 psi, I heard solid movement when I stopped applying air and then took the nozzle away from the test plate, the remaining air in the assembly came out from where I removed my nozzle. An indication of excellent sealing. I tried this with the low/reverse assembly and same thing, excellent movement of the piston and proper backflow of air when removing the nozzle. When I tried this with the Reverse and the Forward and the Direct clutch, I would get piston movement on two of them, but the air was escaping fast, the third I had no movement at all.

I pulled the assembly took it apart and checked all seals they were fine. I did read that the Forward Direct/Coast drum assembly can and does develop a hairline crack from high fluid pressures because of valve body wear, I must have took this assembly apart three times and tested it three times with pretty much the same result. I'm going to purchase a new forward direct/coast drum housing. I've checked everyting else and I suspect this is the problem. This would also lead me to believe this is why I lost foward movement on my trans. I will be ordering from Bill tomorrow and probably will continue with this on Thursday or Friday.

In spite of the problems, this has been fun. I've learned alot and now know this tranmission inside and out to be sure!!!!! Oh yes, when I was putting on the speedometer gear on the differentail (this is where the vss is driven from) the plastic gear is a snap on fit on top of the differential. I was using light taps with a rubber mallet and it broke.....I'm glad it happened here and not after I had the transmission together. Another small problem I found was when I was separating the case halves I head to beat with a rubber mallet for quite sometime - I was being careful, until the case halves came apart. When I put the case halves back to gether it still was very tough to get them together. After checking a few items on why this was a problem, I found the bottom guide pin was getting stuck in it's bore. I finally took a circular file and reamed it out some. Case now drops in place perfectly.....I'm glad I did this, I don't like putting the halves together when it is so tough....might have has something installed correctly which I would forever worry about.

Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/08/04 01:36 AM
Thanks for the awsome update and glad you found some useful info from the links on my site.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/09/04 03:18 AM
Well for a direct/coast clutch housing from Ford the price was a little over $200. With a local transmission supply house, I was able to purchase an aftermarket housing for $90.00 Apparently with the aftermarket housing, it will work for other years other than 95 - 98 as well as for 4 cylinder engiens, if the thick steels are used. Standard steels in kit are .078, there is an option to purchase .118 steels if needed. This housing is a bit taller than my old unit, so I will definitely have to recheck endplay and reshim to keep everything straight. Also on my direct cluctch pack, I have a little too much play, if I got to thick steels - 4 of them, I will be out of spec. The other way to adjust clearance is to purchase different thickness snap rings. Standard clearance on endplay for direct clutch pack is .02 to .04 inches. I have something like .05 to .06. Purchasing the thicker snap rings will solve this problem. As I understand it, regardless of whether you have thin or thick steels, the endplay under the snap ring is what counts. The other side of the housing checked out with an endplay of a kinda tight .02 -- I rather have them a bit tight rather than too much endplay!!! The biggest deal in this trans is endplay, endplay, endplay.

Reverse clutch pack endplay check
Direct clutch endplay check
Coast Clutch endplay check
Low/Reverse endplay check
differential planet to housing endplay check - to align it up with the drive sprocket

Differential endplay to TC case
And Drive sprocket to TC housing

Sounds like a lot but it really isn't, just measure carefully and take your time.

My old direct/coast housing did have a big time crack that I found tonight!!!! For an aftermarket cost of $90, it probably is a must item to replace. this housing takes a beating to say the least!!

Bob
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/11/04 03:40 AM
Well, I reassembled my Direct/Coast housing assembly. Had to purchase one thick steel for direct clutch to bring endplay in spec. Cost $3.00

I put assembly in case for pressure test and began to pressure test ports when my friggin EBAY special less 30 day old air compressor blew up. No more compressed air. There goes my *$(%*$(%* $45 dollars!!!!!

I'm going down to Home Depot and get me a small unit. Anyone want a pancake compressor for a good price

I'll pressure check tomorrow and let you all know the results.

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/11/04 08:55 PM
Well, I went to Harbor Tools today and picked up a nice oil driven compressor 2 hp 2 gal tank for $100. Seller of unit bought on Ebay did offer to replace unit when I sent this one back. Don't really know if it is worth it.

I did perform the pressure checks today. Everything worked great EXCEPT the reverse piston would not move. I had a big time leak! I pulled it apart checked it and it is fine, Whe reinserting the piston into the housing with the seal protector, I noticed that the air pressure created gave way through the check valve. Checking more closely, the check valve looks like it is defective. Local transmission house will sell me a rebuilt reverse housing for 35 dollars. Heading over there now to pick it up!

Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/12/04 12:43 AM
Just to let you know, so you don't feel so bad - when mine was rebuilt, they had to replace all the this same stuff. So don't feel like you keep running into a wall.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/12/04 01:22 AM
You're also quite right about endplay. When I rebuilt my Mazda tranny, I used all new steels just 'cause they came with the master rebuild kit.

As I read through my resources, I discovered the specs & checked the numbers with old vs new steels just to see what kind of wear I had. The old steels were undersized by 3x spec. The tranny was seriously burned up. New steel brought it to the very tightest limit of spec.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/12/04 01:30 AM
I have to say I've been enjoying your tranny rebuild. I've never been this deep into a transaxle before, so I'm learning a lot as you go along with your pictorial. If I should ever be unfortunate enough to suffer the misfortune, I'm glad I have this thread & Unisys web site, & Roadrunner for resources.

On behalf of CEG, thanks guys!! < Salute >

Now, carry on!
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/12/04 02:10 AM
yea, I do feel I keep running into this brick wall with the pressure checks! Sheesh. If I didn't perform this test I'd be pulling my hair out!!! I have everything staged ready to be put back together as soon as my pressure check comes out positive. I'll be assemblying the reverse drum tomorrow night. Now the only thing I have left is pressing the tc seal and axle seals into the case. Has anyone got any ideas on these. These seals bow out in the middle so I can't use a flat washer, etc to press these in. I can buy the atec tools but that will probably set me back a 100 dollars or so...Any suggestions would be welcome!!! Anyone know of a good price on the atec seal installer tools!!

Once I have confirmed that the pressure test is fine. I'll attach pictures of final assembly, etc. This has been an experience but in spite of it all, I still have saved big bucks.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/13/04 10:52 PM
I installed the reverse drum assembly. I have reassembled the unit. All pressure tests come out fine! I did have to reshim based on the new drums installed. Final endplay is a bit tight, but I figured it is better to have it a bit tight than loose! took apart the valve body, cleaned it again ( I just installed the transgo shift pack) Installed new solonoid pack. Assembled valve body to case and installed cover.

I did have to buy the atec tools for installing the drive axle case seals and the tc case seal. These seals are convex on the outside so it is tough installing them. I probably could have found a large socket on the drive axle seals but in no way could I have found a socket large enough for the TC case seal. I guess once I have everything up and running and everything is confirmed ok, I'll probably sell these....

I did install new vss, tss and shift sensor.

This completes the rebuild. I can post a final cost summary if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Bob

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/13/04 10:55 PM
Oh, Yes I forgot....On to rebuilding my engine 2.5L

Anyone interested in me doing the same picture story with this?

Bob
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/13/04 11:48 PM
I'm looking at little red x's

I would definitely be interested in knowing the total cost, including all tools (my kit was $104.75 if you want to include that). I would like to know what I am getting myself into
Posted By: gearhead_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/14/04 12:22 AM

Bob

By ALL means if you're willing to take the photos while doing the job please do so. What you're doing is a GREAT asset to all of us here on CEG. IMO, you should be commended for going above and beyond! Your descriptions are concise and easy to understand and anyone who is going to do either of these tasks would benefit greatly from your thread. The pictures are beyond great, as a picture is worth a thousand words. It really helps to SEE what you're so eloquently describing in your narratives. Keep up the fantastic work.....
Mike

P.S. You must be one HELL of a mechanic!!
Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/14/04 12:46 AM
Originally posted by gearhead:

Bob

By ALL means if you're willing to take the photos while doing the job please do so. What you're doing is a GREAT asset to all of us here on CEG. IMO, you should be commended for going above and beyond! Your descriptions are concise and easy to understand and anyone who is going to do either of these tasks would benefit greatly from your thread. The pictures are beyond great, as a picture is worth a thousand words. It really helps to SEE what you're so eloquently describing in your narratives. Keep up the fantastic work.....
Mike

P.S. You must be one HELL of a mechanic!!

I agree totally! On all points.

I have wanted to Pin this thread to the top, like the others. But it is getting so cluttered, so I am going to do something about that. Just havent had the time to do it, so I will post for suggestions.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/14/04 01:06 AM
Well thank you for the great comments....I was getting a little worried during this rebuild when I kept having to get this part, this shim, this gear, etc. etc. eventually I got through it! Here is my cost breakdown on the trans rebuild. The only thing that is not here is that I decided tonight to replace my manual shift sensor - heck it is the only sensor I haven't replaced and it does look in bad shape. That will set me back about 40 bucks.

When I rebuilt this atx I wanted it to last another 8 years at least. That is why I replaced all sensor's, soloid pack,etc. I figure with the external oil cooler and external filter I should be able to achieve this. Even with my total cost, I still saved a bundle over taking it to a tranny shop --- besides they would not have probably come close to what I have replaced.

Before I start on the engine, I have been instructed to clean up the garage....I'll probably start on the engine disassembly next weekend.

Here are the costs:

Valve Body Gaskets 16.64
Oil Cooler 37.22
Master Kit 135
Solenoid Assembly 128.8
Band 14.5
Bushing Kit 35.51
NEW Oil Pump Assembly 190
ATX Oil Filter 30
Bearing Kit 37.51
Driven Needle bearing assembly 16.92
Misc Shims 19.3
Speed Sensor 40.73
Speed Sensor Gear 6.01
Speed Gear Planet 5.15
2 Oil line fittings on atx 24.44
Misc 37
Clutch Piston Seal Sizer 124.91
TSS 30.29
New Direct Drum Housing 90.09
Snap Ring - Expensive 14.59
Forward Return Spring 12.89
Direct Steel Thick 3.09
Lubes, etc. 15
Rebuilt Reverse Drum 38
Axle Seal 2.89
Axle Seal Installer 33.48
TransGo Shift Kit 38
Torque Seal Installer 57
Dextron III Case 18.59
Freight Return Tool Kit 15
CD4E Tool Loan 100
Sub Total $1368.55
Sell Clutch Seal Sizer -80
Deposit Return Tool Kit -80
Sell Axle Seal Installer -20
Sell TC Seal Installer -37
Total $1151.55
Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 03/14/04 01:24 AM
When I rebuilt this atx I wanted it to last another 8 years at least. That is why I replaced all sensor's, soloid pack,etc. I figure with the external oil cooler and external filter I should be able to achieve this. Even with my total cost, I still saved a bundle over taking it to a tranny shop --- besides they would not have probably come close to what I have replaced.

Oh yeah! My list is not even half that size and my bill was well over $2000! Great job so far.

Before I start on the engine, I have been instructed to clean up the garage....I'll probably start on the engine disassembly next weekend.

I was going to say somehthing about those stains on the garage floor. Make the misses happy, then get to work on that engine man!
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 04/23/04 02:55 AM
Getting close to final test of atx and engine. Finished up engine rebuild, is now in car and connecting everything.....
Posted By: 99CSVT Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 04/23/04 06:40 AM
Great job!!! I've only done one automatic in my life (my old APV). That was completely hydraulic with no electronics whatsoever. Well, it had a VSS on it. After seeing what these new electronic units look like, I'm sticking to my manuals from here on out (just upgraded the SVT's). I have been since I was 17 (22 now). Good luck on the engine rebuild, I plan on doing mine when it breaks. C'mon, it's still a Ford !
Sean
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 05/01/04 01:26 AM
Tonight, I connected up the remaining hoses. I just purchased my 1/2 x 13 heli coil insert for the drive shaft cam to pull the pulley in alignment with water pump. However, since it is close to being in alignment, I thought I'd take it for a test drive. Started the car and it idled smooth. I held my breath when shifting it to drive since I also rebuilt the atx in this project. Shifted to drive and it engaged....smoothly. Shifted to reverse and it engaged smoothly. Drove it around the block and it drove NICE. Trans winding up in gears sound strong and clean. Shift was very smooth. Took it out on the highway and drove it up to 55. Trans shifted fine. Front end is tight and seems not to need an alignment (replaced the struts, control arms, bushings, etc also) I will take it to be checked since I have a lifetime alignment warranty. Checked for leaks and found none. The only problem that I found was that my high cooling fan does not come on. Low speed works fine but high does not.....I did purchase a relay and replaced it but it did not make any difference. So the only items left on this project is pull down the water pump acessory pulley so it is in exact alignment with pump and repair high speed cooling fan..

This note closes out this project!

Regards,
Bob
Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 05/01/04 05:17 AM
Drove it around the block and it drove NICE. Trans winding up in gears sound strong and clean. Shift was very smooth. Took it out on the highway and drove it up to 55. Trans shifted fine.

Yeah! That is what I'm talking about! Glad to hear it!
Posted By: 99CSVT Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 05/01/04 06:19 AM
Awesome!!! When I got mine back together, it felt good so I went 130! Ha! Mine didn't need an alignment either. It does feel really good to be done with repairs for the time being...
Sean
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 06/26/04 05:01 AM
Just an update.

Engine and ATX now have 5000 miles and all is running great. Trans shifting is almost undectable.....
so btrautman if your were a shop charging for what you did to your atx, rebuilt it, what would the cost have been?
also what were the condition of your mounts. I am sure you replaced all four. I just replace one the rear tranny atx mount. I want to replace two other mounts, not the engine mount. to observe any differences. I may change the engine mount last.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 06/26/04 04:09 PM
I don't think a shop would have been as thorough as I was...I went the few extra miles to make sure the atx would last me a long time (hopefully)! I would estimate shop charges would have been closer to the 3000 dollar mark with everything I replaced.......

I replaced all mounts with the exception of the front engine mount on the passenger side - it was in good shape. The atx driver side fender mount is critical. It only need to deflect a 1/4 inch or so before it is riding on your frame which can crack the case. If you look the the driver side wheelwell you can determine if it is riding on your frame or not. Auto Zone has this mount for about 34 dollars...

btrautman I asked this question in the general forum and not so sure if I replace that important "atx driver side fender mount"

questioned asked in the general forum
"
these are contour mounts from autozone
0000 MOUNT, Contour, Mystique, Right - 2.5L 95-97 $188.29 $150.63

2886 MOUNT, Contour, Mystique, Left (Front), Auto Trans - 2.5L 95-97 $071.38 $057.10

2887 MOUNT, Contour, Mystique, Left (Rear), To Crossmember, Auto Trans - 2.5L 95-97 $092.87 $074.30

2873 MOUNT, Contour, Mystique, Left (Rear), To Fender Apron, Auto Trans - 2.5L 95-00 $111.59 $089.27

This is the mount from BAT that I purchased and installed

Trans Mount 95-01 AUTO K433TA $105.30

I want to install two other mounts now sourced from autozone
The problem is that I do now know which autozone part number the bat mount matches up to. Since the bat mount is a rear mount I can only assume that it is not the autozone 2886 front mount So that the bat mount must match up to either of the autozone mounts 2287 or 2873. I need to know which one not to order.

Can anyone help?
"

So is the autozone mount 2873 the similar to the BAT mount equal to the very important mount that you speak of?
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 06/27/04 03:30 PM
AutoZone part number 2873 is the same thing you purchased from BAT K433TA.

The prices you show are higher than in my area. For instance the 2873 from Autozone shows 43 dollars.

Lookup the part using zip 78640 and you will see what I mean.

Regards,
Bob
Great thanks btrautman.

So standing on the driver side of the car next to the front finder right against the driver side front wheel I know where the mounts are and I can visualize four mounts of which I replace the rear tranny that is behind the engine mount which I saw looking the air box so I still have to replace the left tranny mount which is near the front of the car which I saw looking behind the radiator and I have to replace the right tranny mount which I cannot see unless I look under the car and the mount that I will not replace the engine mount is easy to see at the front passenger side of the engine. So that would be parts 2887 and 2886.

After looking at a picture of the subframe within my hanes manual I noticed that the subframe holds the drive train components and in effect isolates some of the vibrations from the rest of the unibody of the car.

Btrautman during your installation of the ATX did you notice any rubber bushings near the subframe bolts that connect the the unibody of the car that further helps reduce the tranny vibration. When the fan of my car come on and the car is in drive not only can I hear it if the windows are down but I can feel a vibration as the fan comes on. I do know that there are rubber bushings under the radiator where the it is connected to the subframe so I wonder if that rubber's old age is causing some vibration to go into the passenger compartment.
Well I went to autozone to pick up the parts and guess what? There I found out that the mounts were simply the rubber inserts and no metal mount frames included. So when it comes to mounts is it best to just purchase the whole assembly or are inserts just as good?
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 06/29/04 12:32 AM
Metal is Metal. Just purchase inserts. Take out the metal housing so that you can have plenty of leverage to install the inserts properly.....This is what I use and they are fine.

so I just made my first order from the bill jenkins contact.

Steve Mullins
Senior Parts Counterperson
Signature Lincoln Mercury
702-457-0321 x 240
smullins@signaturelm.com
www.signaturelm.com
3030 E. Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89104

To order parts, dial 1-800-876-3280

F5RZ-6038-D mount list price $74.95 your price $56.21 in stock
F5RZ-6068-E mount list price $97.52 your price $73.14 in stock
shipping would be around $8.00

And if I can identify the ford specific part that I need I will be using these guys because the price is right I am told.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 12/04/04 05:06 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have updated all the links to all pic's post by BT on this thread, per BT. Thanks again BT for a very informative thread and the contribution to CEGer's all over the world.
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 12/24/04 12:40 AM
Update.....

12,000 miles on car. Had to replace irmc vacuum diaphram. Developed a leak. Also had to replace rack and pinion! I should have replaced it when I had the engine and atx out.....I didn't think it would EVER go out on me. Otherwise car drives like new.

Regards,
Bob

Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 08/06/05 11:10 PM
Update...

20k on atx and engine and all is still running fine...

Regards,
Bob
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 08/08/05 02:21 PM
Update...

20k on atx and engine and all is still running fine...

Regards,
Bob

I never had a doubt ... 20K miles ... about time to do a full fluid flush
Posted By: btrautman Re: ATX Rebuild Picture Story - 05/08/06 02:43 AM
Update...

52k on atx and engine and all is still running fine...
Did perform a upper and lower manifold intake cleaning - wasn't really needed but wanted to check out the condition.

Regards,
Bob
© CEG Archives