Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BlackE1 2nd gear grind - 01/06/03 03:55 AM
The first time i shift into 2nd gear in the winter, after taking the car out of the garadge it will grind. It is like i didn't put it in the gear all the way or the clutch wasn't in? Is it becuase of the cold? Thanks for any help.
Tim
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/06/03 05:51 AM
You may benefit from upgrading the trans fluid. There is a FAQ on the subject. The two main things for improving cold weather shifts is synthetic fluid and friction modifier. One of the most common "cocktails" is Mobil 1 ATF with 2 oz of Ford friction modifier. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic so with a little bit of a search you should be able to gain a lot of insight. If the problem does not improve with a fluid upgrade, you may need to overhaul the trans including a 2nd gear synchro. Try the fluid change first.
Posted By: TGO Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/06/03 06:02 AM
even with the fluid change, it is still most likely a worn syncro, which means it will only get worse until the trans needs to be torn down to repair it. Sucks doesn't it?
Posted By: Swazo Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/06/03 07:13 AM
Welcome to my world
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/06/03 11:54 PM
Could it be worn out after only 24,000 miles??
Posted By: TGO Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 02:02 AM
yeah, depends on your driving style mostly I guess.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 02:18 AM
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
yeah, depends on your driving style mostly I guess.

Since I am trying to learn about our trannies, I feel safe asking this question...

How can driving style effect the lifespan of the syncro's?

I am just now learning a great deal about the CD4E and since I have been digging around with the MTX-75, I was just curious.

Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 05:40 AM
Driving style can make a big difference in synchro life. So can maintenance. Try the fluid upgrade. You just may find the shifting to be satisfactory. If nothing else, try adding 2 oz (1/2 bottle) of friction modifier to your existing fluid. If you see a significant improvement, then do a synthetic fluid with friction modifier upgrade.
Posted By: MonkeyBiz_dup1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 03:25 PM
This is a very common occurance with our cars.

Terry Haines...the genius that he is...came up with this fix.

I've had two '98 CSVTs and both would grind when shifting into 2nd gear in the Winter...

This fixed them both.

1) Start your car and let the idle settle to it's normal level.
2) Tap the gas so that the engine revs to 2K
3) Repeat #2.

That's it.

I do it every morning and no more grind.
Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 06:15 PM
It works for me! Started getting the grind this winter as soon as the weather got colder, and immediately started doing the start... wait... tap... tap... and go. No more grind.
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 07:29 PM
Do the fluid change and try to get used to a new parking/cold start up style. Park using your e-brake and leave the trans in Neutral. When you start up in the morning DON'T move the shifter and start then release the clutch. After a few moments tap tap the gas. What your doing is when the trans is in N with the clutch out the gears are spinning inside of the trans, they quit when you depress the clutch. The trans system is a splash feed so the lower gears splash trans fluid up to the top of the gears, by blipping the throttle it splash's fluid up to the gears then when you go into 2nd it has fluid on the gear versus metal to metal
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 07:41 PM
welcome to my world too Except it's the 3rd gear for me. Been driving on it for awhile now, double-clutching into third as to not use the synchros. Still sucks. Makes a quick 0-60 real tough

I've just learned to live with the fact that I'll have to wait until I can afford to fix it, since it will be quite pricey and if I'm going to fix the tranny, I should replace the clutch and at least refinish the flywheel while I'm at it. But that's another $2000 away from reality for me right now
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 07:56 PM
I don't know if yours is old enough to be a rod shift but Terry said he has a line up on BRAND NEW rod shift trannys for like $900, find someone like buckshot77 to swap it for way more reasonable then a dealership. Probably right though it would be $2000 with a new clutch and machined/new flywheel.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/07/03 09:00 PM
Thanks i will have to try it.
Posted By: FLuiDSVT_dup1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/08/03 10:17 PM
I will also give this a try tomorrow AM. I am tired of looking like a gear grinding ass in the morning.
Posted By: m!key Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/09/03 05:17 AM
just remember tap tap of the morning to you.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/12/03 02:11 AM
Mine is grinding just a bit in 3rd, seems like its if it isnt shifted perfectly . . .then again its about 6 degrees up here. Hope it's not a major problem like synchros or somethin.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: 2nd gear grind - 01/12/03 04:23 AM
I have tried taping it to 2k twice every morning since and no grind!!! Thanks I am glad it wasn't the trans.. (Eventhough I have extended warranty)Thanks for everyones help!!
© CEG Archives