Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: murph914 Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/16/06 01:56 AM
anyone have any ideas how much a junkyard would want for an MTX (75) I need to rebuild mine, but am considering just swapping it out.
Posted By: TRicker Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/16/06 02:07 AM
U pull R parts in MN wants 150$ if you pull it out. make sure you get one off a V6 because the bolt pattern on the zetec is not the same, even though its basically the same tranny.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/16/06 12:59 PM
I know someone is selling one for cheap. Could be brought to Terry for an inspection and replacement of worn parts. Otherwise you never know what you are getting. Swapping in a JY trans is plain idiotic unless you like pulling the trans a few times. How do you know if it has any grinding going into any of the gears until you go through the work of installing it? What is the condition of the diff. etc etc etc.
Posted By: murph914 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/16/06 05:46 PM
I guess you are right. I might as well remove it and rebuild it myself. I have been tinking with the idea of taking it out and putting in a LSD, and changing the CV joints and timeing chain while I am in there. I just havent gotten around to it.

The problem comes when I want to shift into third it usually grinds a bit. The more I push on the transmission, the worse it gets. Sometimes it does not do it, but that is becoming rarer and rarer.
Posted By: Knip Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/16/06 07:07 PM
I have a tranny from a '98 SVT for sale. Also has the 3rd gear grind but would be great to send to Terry.
Originally posted by murph914:
anyone have any ideas how much a junkyard would want for an MTX (75) I need to rebuild mine, but am considering just swapping it out.

You should go to ctamotorsports.com they are selling brand new MTX-75's for like $800.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/16/06 11:57 PM
And he was smart he'd get a used one and have it inspected and an LSD put in for a few hundred above that.
Posted By: RRT_SVT Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 12:25 AM
i have just replaced the mine with a junk trainy of a svt 98 black with 10 0500 milles and work flawless cost to me 300 dlls with clutch and flyweel i only need obtain the ford honey for a smooth change buth i like the used one
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 01:22 AM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
You should go to ctamotorsports.com they are selling brand new MTX-75's for like $800.

My brother just bought one from them and you can order it with LSD. Well worth it just to buy a new one. Trust me I have now replaced two transmissions and you do not want to go through that mess more then once if you don't have too. Just make sure that when you get the trans shipped to your house you check to make sure you actually have a V6 transaxle. The first one that showed up to my parents place for my brother was a 4 cylinder transaxle. CTAmotorsports may sell the transmissions, but they are built and shipped by an independent company in Florida.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 02:23 AM
Originally posted by CSVT#49:
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

My brother just bought one from them and you can order it with LSD. Well worth it just to buy a new one. Trust me I have now replaced two transmissions and you do not want to go through that mess more then once if you don't have too. Just make sure that when you get the trans shipped to your house you check to make sure you actually have a V6 transaxle. The first one that showed up to my parents place for my brother was a 4 cylinder transaxle. CTAmotorsports may sell the transmissions, but they are built and shipped by an independent company in Florida.

Yea Terry Haines does the upgrades for them. He has a deal with BAT. As I first said and have said again and again the smartest way is to get a used trans and have Terry go through it. Replace worn parts and install an LSD.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 07:34 AM
def take it to terry if you want it done.

He's the man for the tranny job.!!!
Posted By: debos99csvt Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 03:39 PM
All I have to say is you get what you pay for!
Posted By: murph914 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 05:38 PM
ok, so this Terry guy is one that everyone recomends. But I remember LSDs selling for 800 bucks, so how could the upgrade only cost a coupple of hundred?
Terry's Method:

Get's your trans, strips it and inspects the internals. He then emails you a report of what he has found and recommends doing. He charges a flat $400 labor charge ... regardless of what you replace inside. Add to that parts being replaced/upgraded & return shipping ($60 IIRC).

He has prepackaged "services/upgrades" that he offers and the price includes parts/services rendered. At a very minimum I would recommend the Keyed Tower option so that the damn bolt will never shear again!
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Terry's Method:

Get's your trans, strips it and inspects the internals. He then emails you a report of what he has found and recommends doing. He charges a flat $400 labor charge ... regardless of what you replace inside. Add to that parts being replaced/upgraded & return shipping ($60 IIRC).

He has prepackaged "services/upgrades" that he offers and the price includes parts/services rendered. At a very minimum I would recommend the Keyed Tower option so that the damn bolt will never shear again!

His 'prepackaged services' are $250 each IIRC:
1)Focus keyed shift tower
2)Custom shift forks
3)'Koated Kogbox' (coats the internals in some material)

I think there's a couple more, but that was a while ago!
Posted By: murph914 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 08:43 PM
ok I think that sounds like more of what I would want. The next question would be should I send him mine, or another one. ( I have no idea what this grinding is caused by (syncros?))
I am looking at the following:

400 | labor
60 | misc parts
250 | focus keyed shift tower
250 | custom shift forks
250 | koated kogbox
895 | Qualiffe LSD
369 | clutch kit
39.90 | Shift fork 1st
34.20 | Shift fork 3rd
34.55 | Shift fork 5th

All that totaled is about $ 2,500

Thats a lotta dough! I guess what I would be looking at is to send it off to Terry and having him give me the news.

Generally how much does this kinda problem run? Does it mean new gears?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Junkyard transmission for an SVT???? - 08/17/06 08:51 PM
I am looking at the following:

400 | labor
60 | misc parts
250 | focus keyed shift tower
250 | custom shift forks (Do you really need it?)
250 | koated kogbox (Do you really need it?)

895 | Qualiffe LSD (WTF is that? A Quaife went up a little but not that much.)

39.90 | Shift fork 1st (Do you really need it?)
34.20 | Shift fork 3rd (Do you really need it?)
34.55 | Shift fork 5th (Do you really need it?)

--------

I'd just get the keyed tower and have the worn syncs etc worn. I think the trans shifts fine as is. To each his own. You can take the clutch out since that isn't Terry's domain. You can get an SVT clutch and pressure plate a lot cheaper chan the $369 quote whatever that is for. I thought a Spec 1 was $300.

TH
FWIW we put our charges up a little a few months ago(first increase for 2 years!).Best if a potential customer contacts me for quotes etc.Also a 'stock' un modded Ford trans V6 will now run you over $2000 + a $600 core charge!...What I do on a modded trans is at a fair price.
© CEG Archives