Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 08:46 PM
ok i been 6 week without my car and my dad finaly decided to check it today.. we disemble everything and the problem was the clutch.. those picture speak from themself...

all the rivet popped out !! i have the clutch since about 6000 KM and i never beat the hell out of it, never went to drag ect... is it normal ?? is it a factory default ?? is it warrenty or something... two the the hole braket literaly broke and after that all the rivet popped out.. that was the sound i was hearing going around my clutch
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 08:53 PM
i will appreciate if somebody can tell me if i can do something for this ?? i need to know asap cause the car is on the lift with everything removed from it...
Posted By: 99 red SVT Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 08:56 PM
Have you tried calling SPEC and letting them know what happened?
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 08:57 PM
not yet i just saw this a few minute ago and im still shocked !!

i will try to call tomorow !
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 09:21 PM
Originally posted by SVT3Rivieres:
not yet i just saw this a few minute ago and im still shocked !!

i will try to call tomorow !

im rather shocked too... thats nuts, I have never seen a clutch do that.
Posted By: Pick_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 11:22 PM
I suggest calling thier Tech line as well as sending that pic to thier e-mail. The picture will help them in deciding what to do. I can't imagine that's anything other than a defect.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Pick:
I suggest calling thier Tech line as well as sending that pic to thier e-mail. The picture will help them in deciding what to do. I can't imagine that's anything other than a defect.

Yea, thats rediculous...hopefully you'll be compensated with a new clutch...
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/15/06 11:53 PM
i wrote to spec describing the problem... and they said to send picture and if that what i describe they will take care of it

i hope it will be settle soon, i will keep update

too bad they will probably not compensate for the labour
Posted By: rac74 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 12:24 AM
that was the sound i was hearing going around my clutch

Can you describe the sound, was it like a squealing sound when you went to engage the clutch?
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 02:07 AM
it was pretty much the sound of somebody who drop his little change in the cloth dryer when i was pressing the clutch.. but i wasnt able to engage the clutch (it obvious why if you look at the pic)
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 12:56 PM
....'The Aftermarket Myth'...So many owners think that aftermarket parts must be better than OEM,this is not always the case.Take the clutches.Only OEM's have sight of the genuine Ford drawings and blueprints for the parts,an aftermarket supplier has to guess or copy from physical parts.The OEM supplier still,even on service parts to Ford,meet specific QC inspections...OK,they are not as high for sevice parts as parts that go to an assembly plant but never the less they do have 'QC'...most aftermarket have none...No suprise in that, how can you inspect if you don't have the original specs and blueprints from Ford! On clutches the OEM genuine replacement is a LuK...an OEM supplier and even on an aftermarket, say the Sachs clutch. They too are an OEM supplier to Ford. Not so with Spec. I have yet to find an aftermarket clutch that outlasts the OEM units. There is also little point in a stage 1 or 2. If you make real power and torque go to a 3. The first two are no better than a LuK or Sachs unit. THINK before you rush off and buy a clutch that may only last you 30,000. On all non OEM parts it should be 'buyer beware'...Not a plug for Ford or the OEM's but at least they have the specs, data & blueprints to work from, the rest use 'guesswork'...as we can see in the clutch pics, which also shows that 'batch testing', inspection & QC can be a bit 'flakey' to say the least...it's your dosh, be wise when you spend it! TH
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 02:09 PM
but were not talking about 30 000miles here... the clutch was only 6000 KM
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 02:15 PM
but were not talking about 30 000miles here... the clutch was only 6000 KM

And the quality control comments cover that.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 04:24 PM
so thats why spec clutches always chatter!
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 05:21 PM
they will ship me a new unit as soon as they will received the old one im quite happy the custmer service was really fast
i sent them a email with the picture last night and everything was settled this morning
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 05:52 PM
Terry sent me some pics of a Luk with 100k on it. I have a Spec 1 w/o issue and an UR full face kevlar so don't argue with me. LOL! I don't doubt the quality of OEM. I went Spec 1 for a 3L with NOS. Thought it would hold up to more power. This is just to inform ppl.

Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 06:13 PM
who's arguing with you ? anyway i will get a brand new one soon, hope this one will be ok... oh no.. i forgot i will have to break in again
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 06:27 PM
i will appreciate if somebody can tell me if i can do something for this ?? i need to know asap cause the car is on the lift with everything removed from it...

They should warranty the clutch disk. Call spec and also email their website with copies of the pictures.

Just to be VERY clear, the rivets didn't pop out. They are all sheared off.
I don't think you could shear all of them off like that without at least putting a little bit of power to the clutch.
Either way, at least you know the linings are tough.

They should warranty that, or the company you bought it from.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 06:35 PM
My oem SVT clutch is still in the parts box downstairs in my garage, 2 years of 3L naturally aspirated and a couple of months with the turbo on it. The linings and the hub held up well but one of the springs had a small piece broke out of it.
For the most part I like the stock SVT clutch.

However, with all that said I had a stock OEM SVT clutch in my 98 SVT that I owned that popped at 25K miles. Same EXACT thing as the picture there, the hub rivets stripped out and the dealer put in a new clutch for me. The linings were perfectly good on that disk too. It happened on a fast shifting 1-2 upshift where I popped the clutch pretty quick. Nothing that should have killed that disk either.

So I still have faith in the Spec line of clutches.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/16/06 08:07 PM
its happen to me when i was shifting 1 to 2... but not a so fast shifthing

but the week before i hear 2 time some metal shreading on high rpm (maybe those two ringhole who broke)

my OEM clutch was change at 122 000KM
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/23/06 05:09 AM
I got a shock wehn the shop rebuilding my shorblock said that I needed to replace my clutch. I told them they must be mistaken, because my clutch was just 2 yrs old and was never abused. They said that they would just sand down the pressure plates, but that there was some scortching. It operates perfectly now that it's all back together, not to say that I'm not a little worried.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/23/06 11:06 AM
Generally speaking it is wise to replace a clutch when the trans is out if there is any question at all about it's condition. After all it's a lot of work to get back in there if something goes wrong shortly after installing the trans.

You will probably be OK, but that's probably the thinking of the shop that did the work.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/23/06 04:49 PM
Yeah I completely understand that. I just don't have $300-$400 for a new clutch, especially after the pricey rebuild. But I do understand that it will cost much more than that if it needs replaced any time soon. Like I said, it's two years old so I hope and pray that it doesn't.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/24/06 01:57 PM
The last bit of parts for my Turbo 3L include a new clutch and pressure plate. I've been planning to purchase a SPEC stage 3+. I still plan to go that route, but I have to admit your pictures are sobering. Hope they did a better job designing the hub attachment on the stage 3.

I am also planning to run the stock driveaxles. Really.

Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/25/06 06:06 AM
but i must say they have a EXCELLENT customer service !
.. but its still sucks to have to pull everything out
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/28/06 09:26 PM
i received my new clutch today, spec shipped the new one the next morning that they received my default one and it took 3 days to received it to canada

if anybody have a problem with a spec clutch you will see, they have a great customer service !
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/29/06 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Generally speaking it is wise to replace a clutch when the trans is out if there is any question at all about it's condition. After all it's a lot of work to get back in there if something goes wrong shortly after installing the trans.

You will probably be OK, but that's probably the thinking of the shop that did the work.

Yeah that or the thought of tacking on an extra $150 for the minimal labor and cost to surface the flywheel; for very little extra work. Especially if they surface in-house. And not to mention the markup for the parts sale. I've no problem with a company making a profit but usually the sale price is anywhere from 50-100% over cost. Many shops make the bulk of their money on the parts sales. Between parts and labor it's no wonder that they want recommend doing more work.
I imagine it's still called up-selling.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/30/06 02:03 AM
Well OK, but I would be more upset if the clutch failed a short time later and they didn't give me the option.

I've been on the other end and had to deal with customers that must think that technicians have a crystal ball. "Why didn't you replace the wheel bearings when you replaced the tires?", or my favorite, "Why didn't you warn me that my poorly maintained car with nearly 300,000 miles on it wasn't ready to take on a trip?" (She had been warned, but ignored it. The BAR rep didn't know what to say when we showed him the warning on her invoice).

I fully agree that often "upselling" is overly agressive.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 08/31/06 03:26 AM
LoL, Touche'

It sucks when no one mentions that worn out disk could use replacement only to get paid twice as much to do it next month. I guess it goes both ways.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Spec Factory default ???? - 09/01/06 12:55 AM
LOL. You can pay me now or pay me later? (and pay more?).
© CEG Archives