Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TRicker Now i'm Skrewd - 08/04/06 12:00 AM
if any of you have been reading my posts..........todras was right. i got my clutch out just pulling the trans to the side, but i cant get the damn alignment tool in for the clutch. also, the pressure plate doesnt want to line up very well. i cant see well enough to line it up correctly and i sure as hell cant bolt it up because the alignment pins that the pressure plate slides onto are not lining up right, probably because i cant align the clutch while i try to do that. how can i get the trans out now?

oh, and before you answer, drop the whole subframe, here's the problem. i cant. one of the bolts on the pass. side just spins and spins and spins, i think the welds that hold the nut on the inside is broken so its just spinning the whole nut and bolt. i dont know how to fix that, and its too torn apart to bring somewhere to just get it done like i should have...... i'm pretty pissed atm.
Posted By: eepals_dup1 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/04/06 01:01 AM
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=434447&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/04/06 01:52 AM
Alignment tool? Are you referring to the tool that comes with the Spec parts? If so, that thing is a pos that doesn't do a damn thing. Put a cord on it and where it as bling.
Posted By: TRicker Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/04/06 02:00 AM
thanks guys, yeah i forgot the search feature. CSVT#49 is coming over to help. i managed to drop everything enough to get the trans almost all the way out, with his advice. and to pay him back (once its broke in) i'm going to let him take a pass with some n20 to see how a drugged up contour rips also $$ are in order of course, that goes for anybody that comes to help me with a project. thanks for the help so far!
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/06/06 03:53 PM
Well we got the thing back to together... his intermediate shaft wouldn't go in very easy either like mine did. Ended up having to take the shaft out and then work it till it sat right. So it went together but we had our share of problems. In any case man does that Spec stage 3 grab like a mofo. Can't wait to see what the nitrous will do now that the clutch will take it. Probably start killing the drive shafts now or the diff... but only time will tell.
Posted By: TRicker Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/06/06 06:56 PM
i just wanted to chime in on how great of a guy #49 really is. ignoring the fact that he eats paint chips off my sway bar..... and his super cool ball joint mod, LOL just kidding. i just wanted to say that it's nice to have someone that knows what the heck is going on when you do something like this. this job isnt easy at all, but thank god he came over to help me finish next week i'm gonna let the man take a pass with some juice like i said and maybe then he wont tell anybody about my super sweet "optimized" y pipe. LOL!
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/07/06 02:02 AM
Originally posted by TRicker:
ignoring the fact that he eats paint chips off my sway bar..... and his super cool ball joint mod

You just don't understand how good the ball joint paint tastes. I also don't even know if "super cool" is enough to describe that mod. You'd have to have the guy from that crazy radio commerical saying in his deep voice "the greatest thing ever created." all while some amazingly hot super model displays it on a velvet cushion walking it down the red carpet with mad media coverage reporting it on the CNN world wide news as the best invention the world has ever seen. I told you we should have taken a picture of it.

super sweet "optimized" y pipe.

let's just leave it at that

Posted By: TRicker Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/07/06 09:40 PM
i got it replaced today, cost 100$ and i didnt even get dirty or throw anything across my garage. i'm gonna ask for the ball joint so i can take a super sweet picture, haha!

hopefully your not busy sometime this weekend so you can help me do my headlights!
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/08/06 02:33 AM
Yea I should be free Sat/Sun sometime. Just give me a hollar you got my number. I have some friends coming over my house Friday night so I wouldn't be able to do it then.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/08/06 06:55 PM
todras was right.

As if I'm not always?
Posted By: TRicker Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/09/06 01:47 AM
actually you werent totally right. we left teh subframe in and slid the tranny to the side. i did have to pull the pass. side suspension though.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/09/06 12:53 PM
And I bet it was a lot more effort working in such a tight space than removing 2 bolts.
Posted By: TRicker Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/09/06 09:29 PM
it was. but it woulda been alot of work to pull the rest of the stuff connected to the subframe apart, etc. plus the cotter pins didnt hold up my radiator, so it was sitting on the subframe. when i put it back together the only wires i had to hook back up were the grounds for the starter, speed sensor, knock sensor, and the shift linkages (back up lights) only took about 10 minutes to get all that stuff back on, and start bolting up roll resistors
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/10/06 01:06 PM
it was. but it woulda been alot of work to pull the rest of the stuff connected to the subframe apart, etc. plus the cotter pins didnt hold up my radiator, so it was sitting on the subframe.

You use clothes hangers or anything that will support the weight. 4 bolts for the bootom of the rad, 2 bolt for the a/c condenser, 1 bolt for the steering knuckle and loosen the 2 bolts on the pass side SF and remove the 2 on the driver side. 10-15 minutes. Big deal.
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/10/06 03:41 PM
Originally posted by todras:
10-15 minutes. Big deal.

They must not salt the roads in MI like they do in MN. Nothing under any vehicle that I have seen from MN takes 10-15 min unless you have a cutting torch and sledge hammer.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/10/06 06:11 PM
All the cars I've worked on were pretty rusty I assure you.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/10/06 09:52 PM
Originally posted by todras:
All the cars I've worked on were pretty rusty I assure you.

yeah ... just use alot of PB blaster and work the subframe bolts by hand, don't use an impact wrench and they will come out without a problem
Posted By: TRicker Re: Now i'm Skrewd - 08/10/06 11:00 PM
mine has only seen one winter (last winter) it it showed. when i got the car the paint was all there on the suspension components. this year it just chipped off in massive flakes. rusted from the inside out almost. i only snapped one bolt though
© CEG Archives