Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ElKy throw out bearing. - 07/31/06 08:55 PM
normal signs of a bad TOB are a grinding noise when the car is in neutral right?
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: throw out bearing. - 07/31/06 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:
normal signs of a bad TOB are a grinding noise when the car is in neutral right?

more of a wirring, but yeah that would be right...
Posted By: muntus Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 12:02 AM

That, or it came in a SPEC box.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 04:06 AM
Originally posted by muntus:

oh snap!

if your TOB is bad make sure you get the six cyl and not the 4cyl TOB. There was a problem where they weren't packaged right. I posted some pics in an old TOB post a few months ago.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 04:28 AM

Exactly why I'm going back to a stock SVT clutch next year when I pull the tranny for a HMS tranny.

The clutch has gotten so loud and drives me insane. Everyone thinks I have engine problems when they hear it.
Posted By: muntus Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 05:28 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Exactly why I'm going back to a stock SVT clutch next year when I pull the tranny for a HMS tranny.

The clutch has gotten so loud and drives me insane. Everyone thinks I have engine problems when they hear it.

I meant the TOB. As far as the Spec clutch is concerned, I got the internals coated which makes my Stage 1 very quiet. Sometimes it makes some rollover noise(not loud) and sometimes it makes zero noise. I recommend this process to anyone doing a transmission through HMS.
Posted By: ElKy Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 12:07 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

more of a wirring, but yeah that would be right...

well, i guess its kind of a metal on metal whirring.
when i put a prybar on the case and listened it kinda sounded like that.

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 02:52 PM
Terry says, with your foot OFF the clutch the TOB is just 'kissing' the release fingers of the clutch pressure plate so a worn bearing should be quiet. When you depress the clutch pedal THEN the full load from the clutch springs is on the release bearing. That is the time a bady worn bearing will be VERY noisy.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 03:21 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

I meant the TOB. As far as the Spec clutch is concerned, I got the internals coated which makes my Stage 1 very quiet. Sometimes it makes some rollover noise(not loud) and sometimes it makes zero noise. I recommend this process to anyone doing a transmission through HMS.

Yeah, sorry. I didn't read enough. I saw noise, and SPEC and put the two together without paying attention to what you were referring to.

I'll have to keep in mind what you said about the internal coating.
Posted By: ElKy Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 03:57 PM
ok so that rules out the TOB, but does terry have any idea what could be making that noise with the clutch out and the car in neutral?

thanks for the relay of info todd
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 04:24 PM
....a rattle with the clutch up in neutral can be
*Loose or worn springs in the clutch disc 'hub'
*Loose or worn fingers on the clutch pressure plate
*Gear rollover within the trans
*Incorrect lube in the trans...as we all should know

With the clutch up and in neutral ALL of the gears within the trans rotate except the output shaft and final drive/diff gears.
Posted By: ElKy Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 04:28 PM
hrrmm
i am running amsoil and friction modifier in the box.
i don't know how long this noise has been present.
so i guess maybe i will ignore it for now, unless it gets worse or i launch parts through the housing.
Posted By: JEFFtourCT Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 08:29 PM
what about when i shift the car at high RPMS.. when i hear a little. "tweet" (kind of like a belt)

its only when i shift after i release the clutch.

and its only when its a high rev, umm such as, if .. i was.. umm racing ?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/01/06 08:50 PM
Originally posted by JEFFtourCT:
(kind of like a belt)

Because it is. It's a Contour thing.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: throw out bearing. - 08/02/06 12:11 AM
Is some occasional belt noise when releasing the clutch in first gear for a regular start normal as well?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/02/06 01:26 AM
No.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/02/06 03:06 AM
I would think it would be a weak tensioner on the belt, in that situation. How often does it happen?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: throw out bearing. - 08/02/06 03:47 AM
Just occasionally, sorta depends on how I let the clutch out and give gas. Usually it's at really low rpm. I figure it's probably tensioner too. I'll wait till it gets bit worse though and just keep an eye on it.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: throw out bearing. - 08/02/06 05:24 PM
Originally posted by JEFFtourCT:
what about when i shift the car at high RPMS.. when i hear a little. "tweet" (kind of like a belt)

its only when i shift after i release the clutch.

and its only when its a high rev, umm such as, if .. i was.. umm racing ?

Are you sure you're not hearing it while you're mid-shift (i.e. clutch in motion or in, and throttle partly closed)? I hear it too when I'm hammering it, shifting at 5K or above, it's like a little tweet or sigh, and I thought it was the TOB but now I wonder if maybe it's a little vacuum noise, either a leak or by design.
© CEG Archives