Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RRT_SVT bleed the slave - 07/31/06 08:30 PM
i have read all the post about bleed the slave buth i don't how to i have try it to do buth i mess all because now i can't shift

i have press the clutch 30 times and press the clutch pedatl to floor then open the valve let the air inside out and the close the valve and again press 30 times and same i made 4 time the procedure and now the clutch pedal is loosing and i can't shift what can i do??

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 08:32 PM
Just like the brakes. Have a buddy hold it to the floor, open and close the bleeder. Have him release and hold it to the floor again. Open and close bleeder. I don't think I've ever pumped it multiple times. Just hold it to the floor & bleed and shut it. Keep the resevoir very full.
Posted By: RRT_SVT Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 08:41 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Just like the brakes. Have a buddy hold it to the floor, open and close the bleeder. Have him release and hold it to the floor again. Open and close bleeder. I don't think I've ever pumped it multiple times. Just hold it to the floor & bleed and shut it. Keep the resevoir very full.

i left he cap of the brake reservoir open or closed???

Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 08:45 PM
I did it by myself with a bottle and a small clear tube. One end of the tube goes into the bottle and is secured so the end is near the bottom. I attached the other end of the tube to the nipple, cracked it open and the started to pump the clutch. As long as you have fluid in the bottle, once you start to push out all the air, it will only suck back fluid when you release the clutch. VERY easy to do by yourself ... I think at most, I pumped the clutch 10 times. After 3-5 times, all the air was pushed into the bottle.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 08:46 PM
Originally posted by RRT_SVT:

i left he cap of the brake reservoir open or closed???

Open ... if you use my method, you will need to fill it as it gets low.
Posted By: RRT_SVT Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 08:59 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:
I did it by myself with a bottle and a small clear tube. One end of the tube goes into the bottle and is secured so the end is near the bottom. I attached the other end of the tube to the nipple, cracked it open and the started to pump the clutch. As long as you have fluid in the bottle, once you start to push out all the air, it will only suck back fluid when you release the clutch. VERY easy to do by yourself ... I think at most, I pumped the clutch 10 times. After 3-5 times, all the air was pushed into the bottle.

i use this bottle

buth i do that press then open valve then close and again the same i have do it 10 times now and the same
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 09:00 PM
I don't use anything on the valve. Just let it bleed on the ground. I'm a slob like that though.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 09:10 PM
You have to use the bottle, otherwise, when it sucks back, it will suck back air. Using the bottle with a little bit of fluid will cause it to suck back fluid vs. air. Otherwise, you wouldn't be bleeding anything

BTW, same bottle and tube that I use
Posted By: RRT_SVT Re: bleed the slave - 07/31/06 09:10 PM
I don't use anything on the valve. Just let it bleed on the ground. I'm a slob like that though.

i dont need that thing??
lol i only use because i have read to install it

ok i will try again in my front yard without roof and 117 degrees i live in the hell
Posted By: RRT_SVT Re: bleed the slave - 08/01/06 05:20 AM
ok i am very very angry with the last mechanic that changed the master cylinder i found the problem was the cap that go to the slave cylinder is bloked was a new master cylinder and he not opened or cut the part i noted because come a mechanic to my house to do the job and he try to bleed the slave cylinder and tell me , the part was uncuted he cut and can make the bleeding and yes i can move again my car buth still need a new clutch and third gear syncros anyway it will more cheap to move myself the car to paid for a town so when checked for bleeding i recomend to check iif the main line of the brake fluid to the slave cylinder is not bloked that my little contribution to the post
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 08/01/06 05:45 AM
Originally posted by RRT_SVT:
ok i am very very angry with the last mechanic that changed the master cylinder i found the problem was the cap that go to the slave cylinder is bloked was a new master cylinder and he not opened or cut the part i noted because come a mechanic to my house to do the job and he try to bleed the slave cylinder and tell me , the part was uncuted he cut and can make the bleeding and yes i can move again my car buth still need a new clutch and third gear syncros anyway it will more cheap to move myself the car to paid for a town so when checked for bleeding i recomend to check iif the main line of the brake fluid to the slave cylinder is not bloked that my little contribution to the post

I hope english is your second language
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 08/01/06 12:31 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:
You have to use the bottle, otherwise, when it sucks back, it will suck back air. Using the bottle with a little bit of fluid will cause it to suck back fluid vs. air. Otherwise, you wouldn't be bleeding anything

BTW, same bottle and tube that I use

What?! Suck back? How will it suck back if you open and close it with pressure on the clutch pedal? I've bled a lot of clutches w/o issue w/o a bottle. The only thing that does is keep the ground clean.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 08/01/06 03:40 PM
You open/close the valve to stop it from sucking air back in. Your process:

Open valve, depress clutch pedal, close valve, release clutch pedal.

My process:

Open valve, pump clutch till no more air is expelled, close valve.

The fluid in the bottle stops the pumping action from sucking air back into the system ... think about it

Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 08/01/06 03:43 PM
The bottle is there for more than just keeping the ground clean ... it creates a "damn" of fluid so that you don't have to keep closing the bleed valve between clutch depressions.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: bleed the slave - 08/07/06 12:24 AM
Does the "fastcougar" method get all the air out?

Like I mean, can the air get past the fluid in the tube and into the bottle? What if the bottle gets full of air? Doesn't that mean you can't purge any more air from the system?

I dunno, sounds like both ways would work to me, but I like the 2 man bleed the best.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: bleed the slave - 08/09/06 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Does the "fastcougar" method get all the air out?

Like I mean, can the air get past the fluid in the tube and into the bottle? What if the bottle gets full of air? Doesn't that mean you can't purge any more air from the system?

I dunno, sounds like both ways would work to me, but I like the 2 man bleed the best.

Of course, you do need "two men."
Posted By: muntus Re: bleed the slave - 08/09/06 06:07 AM
I just made sure the brake fluid reservoir was full, loosened the bleeder valve, let it bleed out, and tightened the bleeder valve. No pumping and nobody pumping the clutch. It works perfectly. If you have fluid in the reservoir, gravity will keep the fluid flowing out and the air from coming in.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 08/09/06 06:24 AM
Gravity can not get out bubbles trapped in the piston bore of the master cylinder though ... only pumping can scavenge those ... also, gravity is forcing the fluid down ... where do you think that that air goes ... up right
Posted By: muntus Re: bleed the slave - 08/09/06 07:27 AM
Originally posted by muntus:
Mine works perfectly.

Fixed.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 08/09/06 03:34 PM
Originally posted by muntus:
I just made sure the brake fluid reservoir was full, loosened the bleeder valve, let it bleed out, and tightened the bleeder valve. No pumping and nobody pumping the clutch. It works perfectly. If you have fluid in the reservoir, gravity will keep the fluid flowing out and the air from coming in.

Ding Ding! We have a winner in my book!

Gravity will bleed this slave on its own but to be fair you have to pump the pedal after the first bleed, maybe drive it around and then bleed it again to get any possible trapped bubbles.
When the slave is relaxed (no foot on the pedal) the inner chamber is at its smallest and it isn't that likely to trap much air.
Posted By: BurritaSVT_dup1 Re: bleed the slave - 08/10/06 01:40 AM
you know what I used a board about two feet long 2x4 . Pump up the pedal till you feel a little pressure take the board put it on the pedal and put the other end on the lower seat and moved the seat up todaaa.....

Then go out to the bleeder bleed the valve and close go back in sit in the seat move the seat back board falls loose pump again doing same procedure.

I little cajun engineering ................
© CEG Archives