Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Glene24 3rd Gear - 05/31/06 07:45 PM
I am new to this site and my car. I just recently bought a 2000csvt and 3rd gear is horrible it grinds sometimes. so if anyone would like to tell me how to fix it and where to get the parts to that would be great.
Posted By: Stazi Re: 3rd Gear - 05/31/06 07:50 PM
A search for "3rd grind" will tell you that you need to have the transmission removed and the 3rd gear synchro replaced - this is neither a cheap, nor easy "driveway" fix. Sorry bud.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: 3rd Gear - 05/31/06 08:20 PM
For the cost of getting this work done, by someone local or even by Terry is roughly 2/3 of the cost of a new MTX-75 via BAT Inc. Something to consider ... not to mention that you could sell this as a "core" for someone else to rebuild and recoupe some of your cost or put that money towards getting a Torsen installed as well.
Posted By: Reebs Re: 3rd Gear - 06/01/06 02:59 AM
First of all, Welcome to CEG. In my opinion, this is one of the best car forums to be a member of. Stick around and you will learn a ton about your car! Stazi is right though. Not an easy job. Doing mine in the next week. Anyways, have you ever done anything like pulling a trans before???

Jeff
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: 3rd Gear - 06/01/06 03:03 AM
Welcome .
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: 3rd Gear - 06/01/06 03:05 AM
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:
First of all, Welcome to CEG. In my opinion, this is one of the best car forums to be a member of. Stick around and you will learn a ton about your car! Stazi is right though. Not an easy job. Doing mine in the next week. Anyways, have you ever done anything like pulling a trans before???

Jeff

This car is a bigger PITA to pull a trans than well another other type of car I've worked on.
Posted By: Reebs Re: 3rd Gear - 06/01/06 03:08 AM
Originally posted by MapOfTazi ohhh right:
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:

Jeff

This car is a bigger PITA to pull a trans than well another other type of car I've worked on.

You would know Pete! Pulled a few trannies in your short lifetime!?!
Posted By: Glene24 Re: 3rd Gear - 06/02/06 08:00 PM
Yes i have pulled a trans before my and my dad had to do it to my friends car because he dosent know what he was doing. this was no more then a month ago...so yes i know what i am getting into and thank you everyone

Glen
Posted By: Stazi Re: 3rd Gear - 06/02/06 08:24 PM
My guess it wasn't a Contour - get ready for some fun!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: 3rd Gear - 06/02/06 09:06 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:
For the cost of getting this work done, by someone local or even by Terry is roughly 2/3 of the cost of a new MTX-75 via BAT Inc. Something to consider ... not to mention that you could sell this as a "core" for someone else to rebuild and recoupe some of your cost or put that money towards getting a Torsen installed as well.

YAY!! Spend 1/3 MORE for a new one and STILL have a STOCK, WEAK, BUSTED POS Differential and synchros.. cool!

Have Terry do it, and spend the same 1/3 more to get it beefed up, and be able to WITHSTAND the driving, lest you want to do this all over again in a while.

© CEG Archives