Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: converted_gm Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/26/06 10:02 PM
I am just wondering what the pro's con's of each are on a 3L turbo application that will be on my CSVT. Thanks in advance

Justin
Posted By: striker2 Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/26/06 10:19 PM
Originally posted by converted_gm:
I am just wondering what the pro's con's of each are on a 3L turbo application that will be on my CSVT. Thanks in advance

Justin

well seeing as how a quaife is a torsen style limited slip i cant imagine either being a whole lot different from the other. the only thing maybe materials and workmanship
Posted By: Tourige Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/26/06 10:28 PM
Originally posted by striker2:

Justin

well seeing as how a quaife is a torsen style limited slip i cant imagine either being a whole lot different from the other. the only thing maybe materials and workmanship

IIRC the Torsen is cheaper and MUCH easier to install.

Just want to know if it can hold as much power as the Quaife.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/27/06 09:28 PM
so whats different about the torsen that makes it so much easier to install? does the quaife have any pros that the torsen doesnt to warrant the "harder" install
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/28/06 04:43 PM
From my perspective they�re both about the same:
1. Remove MTX
2. Ship to Terry
3. Wait
4. Pay
5. Install MTX

Your experience may vary!
Posted By: Tourige Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/28/06 05:59 PM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
1. Remove MTX
2. Ship to Terry
3. Wait
4. Pay
5. Install MTX

OR.

Remove ATX, install TORSEN by yourself and a buddy, INstall spec stage 3. Put back together.

IIRC the Torsen is the only one that you should be able to install yourself, the Quaife is apparently a big PITA.

Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/28/06 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
1. Remove MTX
2. Ship to Terry
3. Wait
4. Pay
5. Install MTX

OR.

Remove ATX, install TORSEN by yourself and a buddy, INstall spec stage 3. Put back together.

IIRC the Torsen is the only one that you should be able to install yourself, the Quaife is apparently a big PITA.

I never knew that you could use the LSD or a Spec 3 in an ATX .

Aaron
Posted By: Tourige Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/28/06 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SVT SNOB:
1. Remove MTX
2. Ship to Terry
3. Wait
4. Pay
5. Install MTX

OR.

Aaron

You know what i mean.
Originally posted by SVT SNOB:
1. Remove MTX
2. Ship to Terry
3. Wait
4. Pay
5. Install MTX

OR.

Aaron

You know what i mean.

Tourige you have no idea WTF you are talking about and you just shouldn't be posting in this forum...at all or ever.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/28/06 08:04 PM
X2
Posted By: Tisby Re: Torsen VS Quaife on 3L application - 05/29/06 02:52 AM
1. Remove MTX
2. Ship to Terry
3. Wait
4. Pay
5. Install MTX

LMAO! New sig!
Originally posted by striker2:

Justin

IIRC the Torsen is cheaper and MUCH easier to install.

Just want to know if it can hold as much power as the Quaife.

Honestly, I don't think so. Neither of them will break I don't think, but whether one wears out faster or not is the issue I'm talking about here. I'm going to give the nod to the Quaife because of the warranty they have which tells me they may build to a higher operational torque level. IDK for sure but having spoke with Torsen, they designed the T2 for the Focus SVT power, essentially stock SVT power. With the heavy power I was putting through it with the 3L Turbo, there was some increase in noise and there would be nothing that could be done. So the final prognosis is that the diff will hold the power but it may make more noise with the heavier torque loads.
So have no fear using it, but you HAVE to get good fluid for it.
I found that the Redline MT90 and the Torco RTF seemed to be the MOST Successful at keeping a nice sound in my diff during differentiation especially when it was hot out and the car was getting a workout.
MT90 is spec'd very close to the Ford Honey and I still have a sample downstairs that shows none the worse for wear having been used in my transmission. The shift feel wasn't as good as I'd like when the temps were cool though, so I went with the Torco RTF, almost by accident. It shifted awesome and offered even more protection being a safe GL5 fluid to use.
© CEG Archives