Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Sprebound Quaife - 04/26/06 11:21 PM
Aight, so I will very likely be getting a CSVT in the immediate future. To get it driving, I will be needing to replace the diff on it. Well, since I will be replacing it I thought that I might as well put a better one in. So I opted for the Quaife LSD, well on the contour.org site it has it listed under the mods section for $595ish. Well, is that price still accurate? I have been trying to find a good deal on one but still have yet to find one for that price. I have seen em up in the $800 range and I don't know if I am gonna be able to afford that on top of the price of the car. Can anyone tell me a good place to get the LSD (differential, not drug ) for a decent price? Cuz I am having difficulties doing this. And I am also prolly going to be putting in a Fidanza flywheel...so maybe some input on that one as well... Thanks guys, Scott
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Quaife - 04/26/06 11:22 PM
Try the transaxle forum.

And the prices have gone up: get a Torsen.
Posted By: Sprebound Re: Quaife - 04/26/06 11:28 PM
my bad...didn't even see that category before. Thanks
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Quaife - 04/27/06 01:07 PM
From what I understood, there were still places that you could get the Quaife for the the 600 dollar price, I dont know though.

As for the flywheel, use this site http://ultrarev.com/Fidanza_Aluminum_Flywheel_Ford_Contour_1996_2000_2.5L_Including_SVT_Models_%289_lbs.%29-p29480.html
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Quaife - 04/27/06 03:20 PM
Torsen prices have also gone up recently according to my Dealer.
Posted By: weargle Re: Quaife - 04/27/06 06:24 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:

As for the flywheel, use this site http://ultrarev.com/Fidanza_Aluminum_Flywheel_Ford_Contour_1996_2000_2.5L_Including_SVT_Models_%289_lbs.%29-p29480.html

It's sixty bucks cheaper than the Miata flywheel. Dang.
Posted By: Sprebound Re: Quaife - 04/27/06 06:29 PM
Aight, so I have been reading up on getting the tranny out of the car. But I still have no idea on which would be easier....is it easier to pull the engine and tranny together from above, or drop the tranny by itself out the bottom. I know you have to mess with the subframe and stuff from below and there is less room to work with. To me, it seems as tho taking the whole shibang out would be easier, I will just have to disconnect a whole lot more. I have been reading the tranny removal threads all morning and no one has really given me a definitive answer on which way would be better. And also...since we are talking about the differentials, obviously the quaife is the peoples' choice here, but performance wise, how does the torsen stack up to the quaife? What are the differences between the two?
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Quaife - 04/28/06 04:45 AM
Well, I've had a number of development engineer friends tell me they much preferred the torsen over the quaife in MTX-75 equipped vehicles. I think either one would be fine for most people, but I ordered the Torsen.

IIRC, The Torsen for the MTX-75 was actually developed when Ford SVT engineers really didn't like the way the quaife made the FR200 Focus handle early in development of the concept car.
Posted By: svt4b Re: Quaife - 04/28/06 06:41 AM
i just blew my diff and literally just pulled my engine tonight at the shop i work at and we've done many contour engine and trans jobs and if you have a cherry picker and some decent tools its way better to pull the engine and seperate the trans outside of the car IMO.
© CEG Archives