Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: wk217_dup1 TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/18/06 05:05 AM
Ok guys. Having problems with the CD4E on my '99 Contour. I do not currently have 2nd or 4th (OD) gears. Transaxle shifts from 1st directly to 3rd. The OD light will blink after a while, but not always. I've already done a drain and fill (3 days ago) - just 4 qts, and am about to do another one right now. I also ordered a TSS from Bill Jenkins that arrived today, and may change it out if time permits, otherwise, i will do one more drain and fill, and change the TSS along with my motor oil tomorrow. (doing the cheap fixes first)

My question is, the new TSS does not seem to "spin". Is it supposed to? I want to make sure the new TSS is not defective BEFORE I put it in. Please advise ASAP. Thanks in advance.

wk217
TSS (turbine speed sensor) is a magnetic pickup sensor ... you might be thinking of the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). So, yes, you are right, it IS NOT supposed to "spin". Here is how you change it:

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1451
Posted By: wk217_dup1 Re: TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/18/06 06:05 AM
Thanks for the quick reply... and yeah, I just right now figured it out when the old one I took out didn't spin either. Thanks again.

Now I just hope it solves my problem.

wk217
Posted By: wk217_dup1 Re: TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/18/06 06:22 AM
Well, it was not the TSS, as I still have the same problem. Guess I should buy and replace the VSS next? And if that doesn't work, guess the next thing I'm buying is a Mazdaspeed6 GT Unless there are other suggestions.

wk217
Based on your problem description, I would suspect the valve body.
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Based on your problem description, I would suspect the valve body.

Or a shift solenoid. Certainly not a VSS. A fault with the INT/OD band and/or servo will also cause a no 2nd/4th condition.

Here's an idea: Since the O/D light is flashing, how about following the manual and READ YOUR CODES.

The codes will tell you what the computer has detected is not correct. With those codes, you can quit parts-swapping and do some real doagnosis...

Steve
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/18/06 01:44 PM
Originally posted by wk217:
... Guess I should buy and replace the VSS next? ...

No, if your speedometer is working fine, don't replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Scan the PCM and post the codes.

If you want to do a last ditch grasp straws item before the tranny rebuild or new car purchase, change the Manual Lever Position Sensor ($50).

MLPS change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040336&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
Posted By: wk217_dup1 Re: TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/18/06 03:13 PM
Actually, I've actually been trying to get the codes read...

I purchased the OBD-2 scanner from Alex Peper a while back, (Group Buy, I believe) but have been unable to read the codes with that unit.

1. Is that unit capable of reading these codes?
2. If so, how?

Thanks.
Posted By: Pick_dup1 Re: TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/18/06 04:05 PM
Go to your local Autozone or wherever and they will scan your codes for you, usually for free.
Then get back to us.

I purchased the OBD-2 scanner from Alex Peper a while back, (Group Buy, I believe) but have been unable to read the codes with that unit.

2. If so, how?

Thanks.

Yes, it can do it.

email Alex for support. One undocumented security feature is that software will not allow a connection to the vehicle's computer (will get a failure to connect message) until you enter the registration code.

Alex can help you if you have misplaced the code. He'll look it up by some identifier. In my case, it was my email address.

Steve
Posted By: unisys12 Re: TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/22/06 01:03 AM

2. If so, how?

Thanks.

Again, yes... the unit should be able to read these codes. Only difference is that to see the codes, you will have to be driving with the laptop hooked to the car. When the O/D light starts to blink, it should log to the codes in the software.

From the CD4E FAQ's -
From the `98 Ford Service CD -
"The MIL is illuminated for all emissions related electrical component malfunctions. For malfunctions attributable to a mechanical component (such as a clutch, gear, band, valve, etc.), some transmissions are capable of not commanding the mechanically failed component and providing the remaining maximum functionality (functionality is reassessed on each power up)- in such case a non-MIL Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be stored and, if so equipped, a Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) will flash."

What this basically means, is that the CEL will illuminate, and stay that way, during an emmissions related electrical component faliure or malfunction. That is until the PCM memory is either cleared manually or the fault is not detected after two consecutive drive cycles.

If there is a mechanical failure, in the tranny, it will cause the TCIL (O/D light) to flash, which means that the PCM has stored a code indicating which fault it was. But!! This code will be cleared once the engine is turned off.

So. If your O/D light flashed, there was a code there to be read. If you turned your engine off before you could actually read that code, that code would disappear. If when you started your car again and the CEL was not on or the O/D light did not flash, there is nothing there to read. You will have to wait until the fault happens again.

Hope that helps
Posted By: wk217_dup1 Re: TSS - is it supposed to spin freely? - 04/23/06 06:55 AM
I will try to pull the codes on Monday... and post them, if any.
© CEG Archives