Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 02:51 AM
With a stock contour...
How is he with warrenty work?
Less than 1 year old.

No movement what so ever.

I'll keep you guys posted.
I have not had a chance to figure out what went worng yet.

Any trouble shooting tips?

Fourth trans in 2 years yay!!
this one did last the longest...
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 03:50 AM
My money is on a sheared shift towr bolt......
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 03:52 AM
got the focus tower upgrade...

Other mods

quaife
shift tower
slick shift mod
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:02 AM
Focus tower upgrade don't mean jack my good man....they break too, he's since developed a mod for the tower that eliminates the problem(i have it )

Did you loose gears while shifting hard?

Here ya go
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:07 AM
you may be on to something.....

It did pop out of gear when I launched.
but I have no forward gears!!
Posted By: m!key Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:09 AM
you didnt break the trans.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: MAY HAVE Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:17 AM
ok ok ok...

I would have to agree, I can't be the first guy to break it with a stock engine!!!

I have a K&N air filter!!
That's it!!!

and it's a drop in!!

How do I go about trouble shooting this?
What am I looking for.

Like I said I have the focus tower.

can I just unbolt it and pull?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:35 AM
Learn how to shift/drive much!?
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:42 AM
yeah that's what happened...

Yes I like to spin the tires
Yes I like to shift hard
Yes I like to haul ass

NO I don't think I need to learn to drive.

And hector, I've heard your stories, I think I could out drive you.

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:44 AM
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:
yeah that's what happened...

Yes I like to spin the tires
Yes I like to shift hard
Yes I like to haul ass

NO I don't think I need to learn to drive.

And hector, I've heard your stories, I think I could out drive you.

Um yeah. I don't break stock trans.....not to mention built trans.

4 trans in a year...I would be looking at the driver not the trans.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 04:51 AM
Stock clutch and disc? Sounds like a broken clutch disc, or something along those lines.

The Focus towers don't break, Terry has only had one reported broken. The upgrade is just extra precaution.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 05:06 AM
well here we go....

I bought car which just had tran replaced... (diff pin)
I didn't know at the time of purchase

I blew diff pin.
I installed a used trans (had no dough)

That trans broke, not the diff pin but the spider gears.
Installed HMS trans ($1600)
Just broke it tonight.
But most likley just the shift tower.

I wasn't shifting when it broke just launching hard.

As far as you never breaking anything...
you had a zetec, that even with a blower barely put out the #'s an SVT does if I'm not mistaken.
You also had an ATX no hard launches there!!
SO I thinking I appreciate your input sir but keep your crappy comments to your self.

I'd like to point out TWO things

1. I am getting harassed by a MOD!!
2. MIKEY BOY FOR MOD OF W. GREAT LAKES!!!

Learn how to drive NO
Learn how to drive like a sensable person YES.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 05:07 AM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
Stock clutch and disc? Sounds like a broken clutch disc, or something along those lines.

The Focus towers don't break, Terry has only had one reported broken. The upgrade is just extra precaution.

stock clutch and disk...

yes....
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 05:28 AM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
The Focus towers don't break, Terry has only had one reported broken.

If they don't break.....why has he reported a broken one???

Everything is breakable.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 06:16 AM
Originally posted by ray:
Semi-Social is the key.. you can disagree, but being personal is NOT going to be tolerated.

Hector you are not being Semi-Social

Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 11:12 AM
I say just give Terry a call. He probably knows EXACTLY what happened. Probably could provide solutions as well.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 11:17 AM

you had a zetec, that even with a blower barely put out the #'s an SVT does if I'm not mistaken.

i bet ya no matter what you do your car couldnt touch my car off the line when it was a 3L ATX. when the tranny was good and i had decent tires it would launch HARD (3500 stall does that) ive taken 5.0 5spd mustangs off the line and kept running away from them. now that i got a mtx....well i better learn how to drive this thing
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 02:54 PM
What happens when you put it in gear and rev it?

...Or can you even put it in gear?

Reason I ask is because I stripped my halfshaft once and it lost all movement (with an LSD...). I would put it in gear w/o needing the clutch and revving would cause the speedometer to go up a bit like you were spinning the tires.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 02:57 PM
sure a 3l yeah there's a great comparison.

let's see.
who here has broken axles with there atx, and wasn't turning corners.

I'm sorry but if you don't have a stall converter, then you don't have the drivetrain "shock" of a hard launch that a manual tran has.

The factory controlled ATX also will not allow you to shift as fast as any person with an MTX.

Note the word FACTORY CONTROLLED.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 03:14 PM

SO I thinking I appreciate your input sir but keep your crappy comments to your self.

I beat the hell out of my car EVERYDAY until I got rid of it at 140k. The supposed weak CD4E took it like a champ. Did I mention it did this with 70 MORE WHP.

I am no expert....but transmissions "just don't break" without any persuasion from the driver. That's just how it is.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 03:21 PM
so by this persuasion would you mean...
driving it hard?
Cause yes I did that.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/01/06 03:34 PM
Alright, alright... the guy asked for TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS, or HELP.. or ADVICE or something of that nature.

I think we've established that some people feel he shouldn't have broken anything, but that changes nothing of the matter at hand.

it did, indeed, break and he wants help... Those that can provide help.. please do.. those that can't.. please stay out of it.

Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/02/06 12:34 AM
MTX built by Terry 3L beat to heck.......Ask anyone around.....It's not the trannies....
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/02/06 12:48 PM
are there any tips to pulling out the focus shift tower.

I didn't find any how to's

I guess I could just unbolt it and see what happens.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/02/06 02:23 PM
So you're jumping to conclusions that it's Terry's fault? That's the way you are coming across. Just because he built it doesn't mean you have free will to beat the sh!t out of it. It will still break if abused.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/02/06 02:31 PM
no no no no and lastly no

Todd you gots me all wrong...
I started out thinking warrenty thing but then relized I am really hard on this trans.

So that's not even in the piture...
(Although the words bulletproof have been used to describe his transmissions, I should have known better)

I can't beleieve I broke it after only 5 months.

Just goes to show $1,700 + dumbass can still = broken trans.

Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/02/06 06:29 PM
just an idea...

does anyone think I could have grenaded the stock clutch?
it has about 10K mile on it.
I read somewhere that the gears on the stock clutch can break.
Posted By: MLuko Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/02/06 09:38 PM
just an idea...

does anyone think I could have grenaded the stock clutch?
it has about 10K mile on it.
I read somewhere that the gears on the stock clutch can break.

clutches dont have gears
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/02/06 09:52 PM
I broke an HMS trans...

but I had just put a $50 used diff in. D'OH!
Posted By: 1slosnake Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 07:10 AM
no no no no and lastly no

Todd you gots me all wrong...
I started out thinking warrenty thing but then relized I am really hard on this trans.

So that's not even in the piture...
(Although the words bulletproof have been used to describe his transmissions, I should have known better)

I can't beleieve I broke it after only 5 months.

Just goes to show $1,700 + dumbass can still = broken trans.

When you toggle the shifter between gears can you hear it changing the gears? I find it kind of hard to believe that you broke the shift bolt on a launch. The clutch is a possibility, Especially if you are popping the clutch alot. The springs in the clutch could have went, or you could have broke the disc. But you would have heard a pop or something to that nature. If you can put it into gear and can hear it going back and forth in gear. Have you turned on the car yet to try and run through the gears? And if you did, did the speedo climb when you pulled out the clutch.

On another note I am little surpised at some the posts in this thread. He is looking for a little help, not to be looked down upon. It troubles me because I can closley relate to him. I enjoy driving my car hard and pushing the limits. It has nothing to do with Learning how to drive a car. It is just common sense if you are hard on something it will evently break. NOT an issue of driver ability.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 12:43 PM
Betcha he sheared the hub out of the clutch disc.

Oh and learn not to drive like a retard. Dropping the clutch and spinning tires left, right and center is retarded.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 12:48 PM
1`)Today,mon,is the first time I've seen an e mail from Travis on his issue & I have replied
2)He could have phoned
3)Jumping to conclusions will not promote good service from me
4)Who did the install?,did it have a new driveshaft circlip and was the shaft fully home?
5)Maybe its the clutch
6)Attempting to tear down the trans tower etc is not a good idea when I haven't even had a chance to comment/talk to him on the issue!!

FWIW as you know,it's very rare that an HMS trans with a Quaife or Torsen breaks due to bad parts or a bad build. Lets hope that WHEN I establish this is not a trans issue he will 'go public' with that!!!!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Betcha he sheared the hub out of the clutch disc.

I've done did that. Should be making a bunch of noise with the clutch pedal out...
Posted By: Stazi Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 01:35 PM
Not necessairly. after a while all the jumble up bits and pieces fall down out of the way and it becomes quiet. Yes, at first it sounds like a can of nuts and bolts rattling around.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 02:59 PM
Originally posted by todras:
1`)Today,mon,is the first time I've seen an e mail from Travis on his issue & I have replied Thank you Terry for your replys

2)He could have phoned Yeah what's that number? Should be on my reciept... Yeah where's that reciept?
3)Jumping to conclusions will not promote good service from me Caught in the moment, sorry
4)Who did the install?,did it have a new driveshaft circlip and was the shaft fully home? I installed it, and yes it had new driveshafts put in, and seated.
5)Maybe its the clutch I didn't hear and rattling, but possible.
6)Attempting to tear down the trans tower etc is not a good idea when I haven't even had a chance to comment/talk to him on the issue!! Having my car sitting when it could be as simple as a shift tower problem sucks, for the record I didn't pull the shift tower I was waiting to hear from Terry

FWIW as you know,it's very rare that an HMS trans with a Quaife or Torsen breaks due to bad parts or a bad build. Lets hope that WHEN I establish this is not a trans issue he will 'go public' with that!!!!

I apologize publicly for anything I may have done to hurt the spotless reputation of HMS motorsports.
I wish no harm to anyone.

I was only looking for trouble shooting tips in order to get my car back on the road. I would rather not send my trans to Terry if it's something I could fix, because I am the cause of the problem in the first place.

I will check to see if I can change gears without pushing in the clutch.

I will check to see if the speedo moves when I put it in gear.

Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 10:33 PM
alright, I emailed Terry, awaiting his response.

I tried the trouble shooting tips pole120 gave and the speedo does move.

So I'm gonna replace both axles.
The driveshaft shop is a choice, are there any other for HD axles?

HOLY CRAP!!!
driveshaft shop
Stage 1 for $400!!!

NEW units $240 for both (autozone)
reman'd $160 for both (autozone)

Damn this.

Posted By: 1slosnake Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 11:00 PM
alright, I emailed Terry, awaiting his response.

I tried the trouble shooting tips pole120 gave and the speedo does move.

So I'm gonna replace both axles.
The driveshaft shop is a choice, are there any other for HD axles?

DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM.. You are jumping to conclusions. If you are having trouble diagnoising the problem take it somewhere and have them look at it. Otherwise you going to be throwing money at things that aren't the problem. We have all been in your shoes before, you need to get back on the road and are anxious. But just calm down and fix the problem at hand. Again if you can't figure it out shell out the cash and have someone who knows look at it. Don't mean to be a jerk just telling the truth
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/03/06 11:10 PM
I fix my own cars, plain and simple.

I had Terry build the trans but I installed it I will fix it, unless I feel I am not able too.
I don't think it's internally anymore. I think it may be an axle.
Axles are cake to change. I've done a ton.

Now what I need to know it if I jack up the car and spin one side, I should be able to determine what axle needs to be fixed right.

I am no longer jumping to conclusions I am trying to trouble shoot. Pole120 told me that if the speedo moves the diff is moving, the internals are moving.

No crunching sounds when tells the trans is fine.

The fact that the speedo moves tells me the clutch is fine.

The fact that the speedo goes faster as I change gears tells me the shifter is fine.

I have to have broken the axle.
Tomorrow I have time to dig into it.
I will pull the axles to check them.

Anyother tips?

Travis
Posted By: 1slosnake Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/04/06 12:07 AM
I fix my own cars, plain and simple.

I had Terry build the trans but I installed it I will fix it, unless I feel I am not able too.
I don't think it's internally anymore. I think it may be an axle.
Axles are cake to change. I've done a ton.

Now what I need to know it if I jack up the car and spin one side, I should be able to determine what axle needs to be fixed right.

I am no longer jumping to conclusions I am trying to trouble shoot. Pole120 told me that if the speedo moves the diff is moving, the internals are moving.

No crunching sounds when tells the trans is fine.

The fact that the speedo moves tells me the clutch is fine.

The fact that the speedo goes faster as I change gears tells me the shifter is fine.

I have to have broken the axle.
Tomorrow I have time to dig into it.
I will pull the axles to check them.

Anyother tips?

Travis

No, it seems you took the time to explain the situation with that post. Before you were just all over the place with what you thought it was. But if you were to have broken a half shaft one side would still spin if you have a quaiffe. Yes if the speedo moves the internals are moving too up to the diff that is though. When I busted my diff. my speedo would still move too. Just put it in the air and see which one it is. I was actually going to make a post if someone has broken a LSD or a quaiffe, hopefully your not the first. Good luck finding out the problem.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/04/06 03:26 PM
Damn, some people need to RELAX! People see someone break something on their car, and they instantly bash them. He never blamed anyone but himself. It's HIS car and HIS money. WTF does it matter how he choses to drive? If any one of you saw the way I drive, blood would shoot out your ears. I realize that when sh!t breaks, nobody is going to pay but me. He's not asking for donations or sympathy, but some suggestions on what could be wrong. Some people should just stick to the aesthetics forum, since their pu$$y foot can't afford the bill when they break their performance vehicle.

Mark
Posted By: Pale Horse Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/04/06 05:48 PM
Alright Guys!!!!!
This Is Being Made Way Too Complicated. If I Read This Thread Right, I Believe All You Have Done Is Broken One Of The Shift Cable Ends. I Will Go Back And ReRead This Thread Again. You Lost Forward Gears After You Launched Hard Correct?? Sorry I Just Read This Whole Thread In About 2 Minutes. I Would Pull Your Driver Wheel And Fender Liner And Check On The Shift Tower To See If One Of The Cable Ends Is Hanging Off. Does Your Shifter Assembly Feel Loose Inside The car When You Move The Shifter Forward And Back?? Let Me Know. I'll Check Back Tomorrow.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/04/06 06:10 PM
Did you ever study english in school? Shure looks like you didn't. Must Be Fun To Hold Shift Key Down Every Time You Type A Word.
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/04/06 06:12 PM
The shifter doesn't feel sloppy really.

What I think happened is that I broke an axle plan and simple, I will find out more tonight.

Terry suggests I send him the trans due to there being metal shavings from the broken axle.

What a great guy he is he even offered to go through the trans for free.

All I have to do is pay for shipping.
The down times gonna hurt but what the hell.
I only work seven days a week.

I'll let you know tonight.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/04/06 11:27 PM
If it's just an axle, use a magnet and change the fluid!
Screw pulling it out.

As far as procedure, I'd stick a telescoping magnet in where the axles go and fish around. Then when I drained the fluid I'd stick it in there too.
Last, inspect the axle shaft first to see how clean of a break it was and how far into the splines it broke. It may be that it broke right at the edge of the splines where the oil seal rides. In that case, don't drain the fluid first, let the fluid push out the material through the axle holes when you finally pull the old axle out.

Heads up, youmany need to pull the passenger axle intermediate shaft to push out the piece of axle that is stuck in the shaft. IDK about the quaife but the torsen has a small hole in it that you could use a long punch to push the piece of axle out of the differential from the opposite side.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/05/06 01:14 AM
Originally posted by akrump47:
Did you ever study english in school? Shure looks like you didn't. Must Be Fun To Hold Shift Key Down Every Time You Type A Word.

Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/05/06 02:37 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by akrump47:

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Just broke HMS trans - 04/05/06 12:25 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Screw pulling it out.

As far as procedure, I'd stick a telescoping magnet in where the axles go and fish around. Then when I drained the fluid I'd stick it in there too.
Last, inspect the axle shaft first to see how clean of a break it was and how far into the splines it broke. It may be that it broke right at the edge of the splines where the oil seal rides. In that case, don't drain the fluid first, let the fluid push out the material through the axle holes when you finally pull the old axle out.

Heads up, youmany need to pull the passenger axle intermediate shaft to push out the piece of axle that is stuck in the shaft. IDK about the quaife but the torsen has a small hole in it that you could use a long punch to push the piece of axle out of the differential from the opposite side.

.......shows that some owners
would put an expensive diff unit at risk Vs doing the
job correctly! It's half a**ed and the chances of
leaving debris in the diff very high. If you fully
understand the construction of an ATB diff you would
know that it is very easy for debris from the shaft to
make its way to the sun & planet gears and cause
damage. If the diff(Quaife ) still failed after this
poor attempt at removing the metal Quaife WOULD NOT
honor any warranty as the fault had not be caused by
their part. Bad post to encourage owners to risk such a
high cost component...not very smart at all.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 01:50 PM
Screw pulling it out.

.......shows that some owners
would put an expensive diff unit at risk Vs doing the
job correctly! It's half a**ed and the chances of
leaving debris in the diff very high. If you fully
understand the construction of an ATB diff you would
know that it is very easy for debris from the shaft to
make its way to the sun & planet gears and cause
damage. If the diff(Quaife ) still failed after this
poor attempt at removing the metal Quaife WOULD NOT
honor any warranty as the fault had not be caused by
their part. Bad post to encourage owners to risk such a
high cost component...not very smart at all.

And on the flip side, this mysterious voice from heaven popping in an telling people they do half-assed work is just another ploy to mindfukk people into thinking that he is the ONLY one who can do work on these cars.

You may not charge him any more but it's like crack cocaine, get everyone sourcing through you so that you are the only dealer anyone thinks about. Maybe good business sense for you, but don't do it at my expense!

ANY person would be a fool to just yank a transmission without examing the damage, esp. when it is probably easily viewed from an exterior point. Period.
If the axle sheared then there are probably little to no pieces anyway, probably just the two surfaces.

I guarantee you your precious Ford Dealer techs would NOT be told to pull the whole transmission and tear it open if an axle sheared. The Ford Reps wouldn't even pay the dealer for that labor unless they had a good reason for it.
So don't try to take every opportunity to make me look bad that you can. You just make yourself look bad in the process. And don't talk to me about half-assed, I don't have things like Frankentrans under my belt nor do I have sometimes 8 month waits for me to produce work for another customer.

If this guy can't assess his transmission then he should pay to send it to you. If he can then he should do the examination and possibly follow my alternative...which is just all it is an alternative.
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 04:10 PM
(snip)
And on the flip side, this mysterious voice from heaven popping in an telling people they do half-assed work is just another ploy to mindfukk people into thinking that he is the ONLY one who can do work on these cars.

(snip)

ANY person would be a fool to just yank a transmission without examing the damage, esp. when it is probably easily viewed from an exterior point. Period.
If the axle sheared then there are probably little to no pieces anyway, probably just the two surfaces.

I guarantee you your precious Ford Dealer techs would NOT be told to pull the whole transmission and tear it open if an axle sheared. The Ford Reps wouldn't even pay the dealer for that labor unless they had a good reason for it.
So don't try to take every opportunity to make me look bad that you can. You just make yourself look bad in the process. And don't talk to me about half-assed, I don't have things like Frankentrans under my belt nor do I have sometimes 8 month waits for me to produce work for another customer.

All I will say is, and wheeeeeeee. Leaking Frankentrans reporting in!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy:
(snip)

(snip)

Posted By: Steeda. Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 04:32 PM
I see this getting ugly fast....

Which side to choose?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 05:14 PM
....it is no small wonder to me that the USA is
loosing out on its auto and Mfg engineering base to
the Asia and the Far East.To advise the magnet fix on
the damaged driveshaft just renforces the fact that
it's not hard to better the average USA engineer.Such
a comment about the diff shows a lack of concern for
both the owner and the component in question...I would
have expected more & a higher standard from a
professional engineer.....Now if Ford had printed the
magnet fix in a shop manual it would be questioned to
hell!...Time to cross over and get away from the
'bailing wire & string' attitude....before the world
leaves you behind.Nice that the personal attacks are
back.....so musch for CEG rules eh!...Hypocrites!!!
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 06:22 PM

Who has their hand up Todd's ass today?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 06:38 PM

I typically can see both sides, but that just nuts. There are many different ways to do one thing right. By the book doesn't necassrily (sp?) mean its the only right way to do it. Its the only right way to do it according to a manufacturer to ensure that their warranty is in place. I can't recall the last time I saw a service tech that had a manual next to him on how to remove/replace item X. Hell, even the good tranny guys don't use manuals until they become stumped.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 06:46 PM
Terry really needs to lay off the bottle. It's not like 21 year old scotch grows on trees. Damn!
Posted By: Barge Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 08:18 PM
Sweet... terry insults all US engineers.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 08:33 PM
This has gone beyond getting old! Either this thread gets back on topic or it will be locked.

The guy asked for troubleshooting advice, not all this other crap. Nor did he ask for someone to post second handed messages.

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/05/06 11:30 PM

Terry, you can trash me as an engineer, and that's okay. I'm a fighting man by trade now and haven't been practicing engineering in a little while. But you and I both know that there are outstanding US engineers out there. We didn't come to dominate the world market with crap, and when the British Empire and industrial might collapsed in on itself 100 years ago, we were there to take over . And where did the British Auto industry go? Mini's made by BMW, Jaguars made by Ford, Vauxhall made by GM, and the list goes on. Times change and it usually isn't the engineers' fault anyway, it is the accountants and high cost of living in developed countries driving up wages most of the time.
But this isn't about that. It's about the fact that I called for a good inspection and possible solution before going to extremes. You just disagreed and bashed my methods.
All I can do is reiterate what I said and leave it at that.
Just hope it's an axle and not something you did if he publishes the pictures.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/06/06 12:28 AM
....... there are outstanding US engineers out there. We didn't come to dominate the world market with crap, .....

+1.

I am, of course, a little biased.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/06/06 12:47 AM
Considering the title to this thread, I frankly cannot fault Terry for checking in... but hoo-wee, the man has a talent for pushing buttons.

P.S. I�ll post some pictures of my brand new HMS MTX75 very soon.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/06/06 01:48 AM
Posted By: RoadRunner_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/06/06 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy:

You STILL leaking !!
Get that leaky tranny outta here boyee !
You are getting oil all over this forum !
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing I didn't change the title - 04/06/06 01:43 PM
Boy did I stir up some crap, eh?

Can't get to work on the car until monday now.

It's at a buddies house, he's got a lift and butt loads of tools.
But he's racing in Indy this week (NHRA).

Posted By: Steeda. Re: I didn't change the title - 04/07/06 03:48 PM
Yes US engineers are Crappy, I mean look at some of the stuff they came up with that is total crap.

F-22, YF-23, SR-71, B-2 Stealth bomber, F-117, The Stealth boat, army Commanche, The best Tanks in the world the list goes on and on....

and there is other people in the world that can Fix a MTX75 weather you would like to believe it or not Terry
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:
....... there are outstanding US engineers out there. We didn't come to dominate the world market with crap, .....

+1.

I am, of course, a little biased.

+2

I'm probably a bit bias on this as well, but US engineers put out some outstanding work! Some of the guys I work with are amazing. I can only hope I pick up some of the skills they have. It's no wonder the company I work for is number one in it's industry and not some foreign manufacturer.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 05:27 PM
On the comments on engineering in USA most are misunderstanding my drift.The issue is 'the system', that is the education system that charges WAY over the 'worldwide' rate for tuition and is NOT as comprehensive as say the German or UK system in content. Example, my neighbour is a doctor, late 40's, 3 kids etc and is STILL paying off his Med School loans! The price is too high & the quality too low. Which is why say, engineers from Asia and the Far East will work for lower wages...they have no loans to pay off!. Its 'the sytem'. On auto engineering, when I see an All American Formula 1 car win the championships, that is engine, trans, frame etc from US I will rest my case. regards TH
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 05:50 PM
You gotta pay to play. If I want to become a doctor, I'll assume the debt that goes along with 8-12+ years of school. Your neighbor knew what he was getting into when he signed up for classes. If he's a good doctor, then I would think those school loan payments wouldn't be much of an issue. This is the greatest country in the world. If anyone doesn't like it, they can leave as easy as they came in. Evidently some people would be happier in their own country.

Mark
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I didn't change the title - 04/07/06 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Decepticon:

F-22, YF-23, SR-71, B-2 Stealth bomber, F-117, The Stealth boat, army Commanche, The best Tanks in the world the list goes on and on....

actually the Commanche project went down the toilet
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
You gotta pay to play. If I want to become a doctor, I'll assume the debt that goes along with 8-12+ years of school. Your neighbor knew what he was getting into when he signed up for classes. If he's a good doctor, then I would think those school loan payments wouldn't be much of an issue. This is the greatest country in the world. If anyone doesn't like it, they can leave as easy as they came in. Evidently some people would be happier in their own country.

Mark

You miss the point...again. You only have to pay through the nose for education in the USA...The rest of the world pays a lot less!....No one is knocking the country just and education sytem that is more of a money machine that an institution of 'higher learning'.Just keep writing the checks if you think more $$$ is a better idea!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Yummy Mummy:

Mark

You miss the point...again. You only have to pay through the nose for education in the USA...The rest of the world pays a lot less!....No one is knocking the country just and education sytem that is more of a money machine that an institution of 'higher learning'.Just keep writing the checks if you think more $$$ is a better idea!

Yet most doctors come to the US for their schooling
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 07:31 PM
.....maybe so, but not engineers.....Been round the R & D companys in the Detroit area recently???...(so what is Stazi doing here?,ah yes,working as an engineer!)I forget most in the country won't go into engineering.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 07:40 PM
(so what is Stazi doing here?,ah yes,working as an engineer!

I thought he was in advertising for Fosters?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/07/06 08:37 PM

Mark

If that were the point, he wouldn't have followed up this comment:
On the comments on engineering in USA most are misunderstanding my drift.The issue is 'the system', that is the education system that charges WAY over the 'worldwide' rate for tuition

with this comment:
On auto engineering, when I see an All American Formula 1 car win the championships, that is engine, trans, frame etc from US I will rest my case. regards TH

If tuition costs were his drift, then why bring up AGAIN, the work that US engineers do? I thought it was only about tuition costs?

As for tuition costs, how well are professors paid in other countries compared to the US? What kind of shape are the Universities in over there? I would assume that our tuition fees are what they are, because we pay our professors well, and our Universities are(for the most part) kept up very well. If their professors are paid well, and their Universities have a lot to show for, who's paying for that?

Mark
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 12:20 AM
I'll chime in here . . . lol.

In some ways I agree with Terry, these days American auto engineering is not as good as say, German, or even japanese auto engineering. But I don't think it is for the reasons Terry has laid out (through Todd of course).

1. American auto company management has tied the hands of the good engineers by forcing component costs to be the #1 priority rather than overall cost/benefit. And the engineers that push the issue sometimes end up on the layoff list (Ask me how I know . . .)

2. American auto companies hire many engineers that don't know anything about cars. While some are american born and educated, most are educated abroad and move to the US, and would probably be better off engineering appliances rather than cars. The true "car guy/girl" engineers are getting fewer and further between at the American automotive companies.

3. The corrolary to #2 is that the non-American car companies with units operating in the US don't seem to struggle nearly as badly even with just as many US educated engineers.

4. Virtually all worldwide auto companies get parts from the same pool of suppliers, yet the american car companies seem to end up w/ the lion's share of the quality concerns. Part of this is merely public perception, but the rest of it goes right back to my comment #1.

5. As sad as it makes me to say this, not enough Americans care about Formula 1 to make it a worthwhile venture to invest the money and resources into making a winning team. Hats off to Red Bull though for sort of trying, lol.

6. Formula 1 is a pathetic shell of what it once was. True ultra-cutting-edge engineering and inventiveness is no longer welcome there. Granted, it is still debatably the pinnacle of motorsport, its just that pinnacle is way lower than it was in the past.

And, back on topic, I tend to agree with warmonger; get in there and get a look at the axle first. If it is clear there is no contamination or damage to the trans or diff, just replace the axle. If there is any question of potential damage or contamination, get the trans out and off to someone qualified to go through it. (most likely Terry in this case, since he's the one that built it in the first place.)
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 12:47 AM
If this thread is still about my trans....

I'll let you know it was not the trans but an axle.

It snapped at the shaft itself!!

Both boots were still intact!!
Remanned units must suck!

Napa also told me they aren't covered under thier life time warrenty because I must have over powered them. Cool whatever, my fault.

So as far as everyones help, thank you.

HMS TRANS STILL BULLETPROOF!!

took a lickin' keep on tickin'...

Replaced axle and away I go.
Damn those stickey tires.

Thanks guys,

Posted By: JEDsContour Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 01:14 AM
Is "Yummy Mummy" really Terry?

I'm so confused...
Posted By: Tisby Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 04:18 AM

Napa also told me they aren't covered under thier life time warrenty because I must have over powered them. Cool whatever, my fault.

BULL [censored] [censored]!!!
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 05:43 AM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:

I'm so confused...

No, "Yummy Mummy" is todras, and todras often relays messages for Terry.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Rara:

I'm so confused...

Why? I'll never understand.. you're either too fed up with this site to associate with it, or you're not, really...

Posted By: Steeda. Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
Originally posted by Rara:

I'm so confused...

Why? I'll never understand.. you're either too fed up with this site to associate with it, or you're not, really...

about 5000 think the same thing!!!!
Posted By: unisys12 Re: HMS tries to strike again. - 04/08/06 10:17 AM
Alright, well since BBR has found out what was wrong with his ride and this thread has gone around the world and back... I'm locking it. You guys can start a thread in CI over the enginnering discussion.
© CEG Archives