Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: NKENN CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/09/05 02:05 AM
I just ordered a remanufactured CD4E for my 98 Contour SE 2.5L. The rebuilder's documentation states that I must use the "pump shaft" from the old ATX. I have not yet pulled the unit and I won't receive the new unit for about a week. I would like to know what to expect before I pull the unit so I can be prepared for the task. I assume the "pump shaft" in question is the oil pump drive shaft. Can anyone confirm that? Also, does anyone know what is involved in pulling the "pump shaft" from the old unit and installing it in the new unit? Is any disassembly required? Are any special tools required? Any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/09/05 03:36 AM
It's a six sided "rod" that's very light and about 2 feet long ... you can buy one new from the dealer for like $15. Once you remove the TC, the pump shaft will be sticking out of the input shaft. It's what the TC connects to. It simply rides inside the input shaft and slots into the oil pump on one end and into the turbine on the TC.
Posted By: NKENN Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/09/05 12:52 PM
Fastcougar, Thanks for the information. I wanted to know what I was facing before I pull the ATX.

THANKS AGAIN,

NORM
Posted By: btrautman Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/09/05 01:17 PM
TIP

When you place the new torque converter (I hope your using a new torque converter) over the turbine shaft, you need to work the torque converter around until it seats completly on the shaft, it will fall in place a couple of times until it is seated. Once it is seated, when you turn the torque converter (with atx pointed up and you are placing the torque converter from above) you may hear a grinding noise when it is turned. This is an indication that it is seated fully. When you connect the atx to engine, and then bolt the torque converter, it will pull out some from the turnbine shaft and thus clear the splines you were rubbing against...

Also, check your flywheel, it the teeth are ground down a bit I would replace it. You can get a new one from O'Reilly Auto Parts for around 70 dollars. Also I would replace the rear engine seal.

I would also replace the atx drivers side fender mount. They have a tendency to sag and allow the case to ride against the frame allowing it to crack and/or leak.

Bob
Posted By: NKENN Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/10/05 01:04 AM
Bob, Thanks for the tips. Yes, I am replacing the torque converter and the rear oil seal. I will inspect the flywheel and replace if necessary.

THANKS AGAIN,

NORM
Posted By: NKENN Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/19/05 02:37 AM
BTRAUTMAN, You recommended replacing the rear engine seal. When I searched for a seal, I found rubber and teflon. Which is better, or, is there something else out there that is better than either of the above?

THANKS,

NORM
Posted By: BSOELMAN Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/19/05 02:49 AM
I would recomend the new side mount as well as filling it and the other two mounts. makes it feel much better. McMasterCarr.com I beleive. I used the 90a hard stuff and all I can say is it made a hugh didference in the feel of the powertrain, NVH is not much worse but the whole powertrain stays put and puts the power right to the ground
Posted By: NKENN Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/25/05 08:23 PM
Are there any special tricks to seating the new torque converter? I cannot get it to seat fully. I pulled the pump shaft out to see if that was what was stopping it but the torque converter still would not slip all the way down onto the ATX shaft. According to my manual, I need to get it about 3/8 inch farther onto the shaft. THANKS!
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/25/05 09:38 PM
No, just keep at it ... you are not only getting the pump shaft aligned, but the input shaft as well since it's splined, getting it lined up is more of a chore. Best way is to rotate back and forth and wiggle gently until it drops into place.
Posted By: btrautman Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/26/05 12:16 AM
Are you hearing a click noise when you turn it? If so, it is on all the way. Once you connect to motor and then pull converter toward flywheel you will no longer hear the clicking.

I'd use the standard Ford Seal. Teflon is good, but it will gouge the crank over time -- the rubber seal sometimes does this but not too bad. Teflon would be worse.

Bob
Posted By: NKENN Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 10/26/05 12:23 AM
My manual says "there should be approximately a 7/16 inch air gap between a straightedge across the bell housing flange and the torque converter." The accompanying diagram shows the air gap to be between the "hub" of the torque converter (that the pump shaft slides into) and the straightedge. After trying numerous times on the new and then the old ATX I could not get more than 1/8 inch air gap. I then measured the air gap between the straightedge and the pump shaft with the pump shaft properly seated in the ATX. I only got 3/8 inch. Then, using some crude measurement techniques, I measured the thickness of the torque converter hub end to be approx 1/4 inch. That means that when the torque converter is properly seated on the pump shaft the maximum aig gap (between the straightedge and the torque converter) can only be approximately 1/8 inch (3/8 inch to the end of the pump shaft minus the 1/4 inch thickness of the torque converter hub. Can anyone out there verify that from experience??????????????????????
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 05/27/06 07:19 PM
Originally posted by NKENN:
My manual says "there should be approximately a 7/16 inch air gap between a straightedge across the bell housing flange and the torque converter." The accompanying diagram shows the air gap to be between the "hub" of the torque converter (that the pump shaft slides into) and the straightedge. After trying numerous times on the new and then the old ATX I could not get more than 1/8 inch air gap. I then measured the air gap between the straightedge and the pump shaft with the pump shaft properly seated in the ATX. I only got 3/8 inch. Then, using some crude measurement techniques, I measured the thickness of the torque converter hub end to be approx 1/4 inch. That means that when the torque converter is properly seated on the pump shaft the maximum aig gap (between the straightedge and the torque converter) can only be approximately 1/8 inch (3/8 inch to the end of the pump shaft minus the 1/4 inch thickness of the torque converter hub. Can anyone out there verify that from experience??????????????????????

Bringing this back from the dead....I'm having the same problem as the guy here.

Even when the TC is not placed on the trans, the gap betweem the hex shaft and trans flange is 10 mm...service CD says it should be at least 12mm with the TC INSTALLED....i'm not seeing how this is possible????

Any insight...i hope the trans shop didn't mess anything up.

IS it possible that the splined shafts inside the trans themselves aren't properly settled?
Posted By: COUGAR99 Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 05/28/06 04:38 AM
When the tranny is out of the car and you install the TC it will sit lower. As you bolt it up to the flywheel it will slide forward a little. Thats when you take the measurement.
Posted By: btrautman Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 05/28/06 01:41 PM
Originally posted by COUGAR99:
When the tranny is out of the car and you install the TC it will sit lower. As you bolt it up to the flywheel it will slide forward a little. Thats when you take the measurement.

CORRECT!

Bob
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: CD4E PUMP SHAFT - 06/01/06 10:23 PM
I'll update this in case anyone searches for it later....

Originally posted by btrautman:
Originally posted by COUGAR99:

CORRECT!

Bob

Right, i understand...the flywheel will determine the final position of the TC.

My confusion was a result of this diagram:

The dimension that they have listed there as 12mm i found to be 1mm...and they had other diagrams in the service CD labeled with 12mm as well...that's why i got confused.

But anyway, shortly after i made that post i put the engine and trans together...all the flange bolts tightened almost fully by hand...meaning there was no resistance...and when i bolted the TC to the flywheel that went together smoothly as well...as i tightened the bolts, the TC was pulled into the flywheel as it should.

So the only conclusion i can make is that it is a misprint...maybe it was supposed to be 1.2mm?

Oh and the TC was ordered by the shop for me, and it was the F69 code C which through searching i found to be the right TC.

© CEG Archives