Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 It finally hapened - 08/04/05 05:11 AM
This morning on my way to the assignment for the day as I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd the shift lever moved, but the car stayed in second gear. After attempting to drive a short distance on the freeway stuck in 2nd gear, I found a place to stop and hang the shift cable end back onto the shift tower and hold it back in place with a plastic wire tie.

I was only two minutes late for my appointment.

So I guess it's time to break down and buy a new shift cable instead of trying to find a way to make the obsolete parts work.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/04/05 11:44 AM
Jim,

I'd also look into how much internal binding the shift forks have on the shafts. You will have to pull the shift tower but that isn't hard at all and you can inspect all three.
It is almost always a sign of the metal particle deposition on the bearing material causing the binding when a cable goes out.
You should be able to shift those forks by hand with a little effort when the tower is out of the transmission. If this has happened then it will probably only get worse and you'll break another cable. Chances are you won't be able to budge the 1-2 shift fork with your fingers.

One important point to note is that you broke the up/down shift cable (forward/back movement). THis cable is the one that takes the load of actually moving the forks, the left to right moving cable only positions the actuator on the right fork and has no heavy load.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/04/05 01:31 PM
I love my rod.
Posted By: Stazi Re: It finally hapened - 08/04/05 01:33 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
I love my rod.

That's what she said!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/04/05 01:48 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Jim,

I'd also look into how much internal binding the shift forks have on the shafts. You will have to pull the shift tower but that isn't hard at all and you can inspect all three.
It is almost always a sign of the metal particle deposition on the bearing material causing the binding when a cable goes out.
You should be able to shift those forks by hand with a little effort when the tower is out of the transmission. If this has happened then it will probably only get worse and you'll break another cable. Chances are you won't be able to budge the 1-2 shift fork with your fingers.

One important point to note is that you broke the up/down shift cable (forward/back movement). THis cable is the one that takes the load of actually moving the forks, the left to right moving cable only positions the actuator on the right fork and has no heavy load.

I can shift it by hand very easily from under the hood with the cables disconnected (actually with the cables connected as well). I'm sure the forks are not binding.

Also, the cable didn't break. The rubber bushing in the cable end wore out and would no longer stay attached to the trans tower lever. All I need is the rubber bushing, but it is not available by itself and the cable end is also no longer available from Ford. On top of all that, the replacement cable is not as strong as the one that is in there now.

I though of trying to find a way to make some sort of bushing (rubber, plastic, or ?) but decided that it wouldn't be worth the trouble and would be too experimental.

Everything actually works pretty well with the cable held in place with a zip tie, but that is only temperary.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/05/05 03:34 AM
Does anyone have the new contact info for Bill Jenkins?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/05/05 03:53 AM
I don't believe he's left it, yet.

the "bill j. moving??" thread has, IIRC, a number for him, but not an 800 number yet.

I belive its just the team ford parts counter.. you can call that and ask for Bill?

Steve at Tousley is another option, if all else fails.

Ray
Posted By: Bill J. at Team Ford Re: It finally hapened - 08/08/05 04:19 PM
For now:

702-395-5100, just ask for me.
Or email me bjenkins@teamfordlv.com which is the quickest way right now.

Thanks!
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: It finally hapened - 08/08/05 04:39 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
I love my rod.

++
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/10/05 08:51 PM
I just got off the phone with Bill Jenkins. He says that the cable ends are still available. I should have them by the weekend. This will be a lot less money and a lot less labor than changing the entire shift cable.
Posted By: louisw_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/11/05 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I can shift it by hand very easily from under the hood with the cables disconnected (actually with the cables connected as well). I'm sure the forks are not binding.

Also, the cable didn't break. The rubber bushing in the cable end wore out and would no longer stay attached to the trans tower lever. All I need is the rubber bushing, but it is not available by itself and the cable end is also no longer available from Ford. On top of all that, the replacement cable is not as strong as the one that is in there now.

I though of trying to find a way to make some sort of bushing (rubber, plastic, or ?) but decided that it wouldn't be worth the trouble and would be too experimental.

Everything actually works pretty well with the cable held in place with a zip tie, but that is only temperary.

Haha! I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. Mine failed in the exact manner as yours, entering highway going from 2nd to 3rd and got stuck in 2nd. Mine was also a bushing failure, I found bits of on the transmission.

I rigged mine by drilling out a large washer, running it through the lever and using a zip tie on the end. It actually held up very well! There was no bushing, only the plastic cable end around the lever, so there was a little more play.

I replaced the cable when I overhauled the transmission; the 3rd gear synchros were already going out when the bushing failed, and the new transmission had a different shift tower. I inspected it right before though; it was still fine, strong as ever.

I have a long history of shadetree repairs on appliances, electronics, cars, gadgetry. some weren't very pretty but I guarantee that they last.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/12/05 08:26 PM
DHL dropped of my order from Bill about an hour ago. That's really fast service.

Just for the record, the cable ends for the 98 MTX cable shifter is still available from Ford.

The entire cable assembly including ends is not. If the cable breaks, it has been updated with what may be the Cougar part number. So if you wear out the cable end you can still replace it by itself but if you break the cable you will need to replace the entire cable which will entail removing the consol from the inside as well as removing whatever you need to for access under the hood.

The part number for the cable end that is most prone to wear (the 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 etc gate) is F7RZ-7412-AA with a list price of $12.02 (CEG price $9.62).

The part number for the neutral gate cable is XS8Z-7412-GA with a list price of $9.65 (CEG price $7.72).

Moderator, you may want to add these part numbers to the stickies at the top of this forum to help save someone else so much grief.
Moderator, you may want to add these part numbers to the stickies at the top of this forum.

A very reasonable $5.00 was added for shipping.

Bill is truly our parts friend.

PS If the whole cable would have been needed, it would have only been about $80.00.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/13/05 03:13 AM
And the adventure continues.

The old cable end would not come off without destroying it. I sawed it apart with a cut off wheel on my Dremel type tool.

There is a black plastic part of the cable end (not part of what gets replaced) that gets distorted with age and it would not slide out of the old cable end. It would not slide into the new cable end either. I found the high spot and dressed it up with a grinding wheel on the Dremel type tool.

After that I decided not to touch the neutral gate cable end until I absolutely had to.

My first instinct was to just remove the rubber bushing from the new cable end and transfer it to the old cable end while it was still on the car. It sure would have saved a lot of time. I should have listened to myself.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/15/05 01:58 PM
FWIW I went through the same hassle of removing the old end. Oh and if you notice some grinding into certain gears don't automatically assume the worst; it is probably a mis-alignment of the end on the cable and an adjustment should remedy it.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: It finally hapened - 10/27/05 10:06 AM
My first instinct was to just remove the rubber bushing from the new cable end and transfer it to the old cable end while it was still on the car. It sure would have saved a lot of time. I should have listened to myself.

Jim i too had my rubber bushing come out on my cable end. I ordered the listed part number and removed the bushing from the end. I popped it into the old cable end and put it back onto the tower. Works good now. Thanks for the info! It took me maybe 20mins if that to install.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 10/27/05 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

Jim i too had my rubber bushing come out on my cable end. I ordered the listed part number and removed the bushing from the end. I popped it into the old cable end and put it back onto the tower. Works good now. Thanks for the info! It took me maybe 20mins if that to install.

Thanks for the follow up. I thought it would work, and you confirmed it. I hope others with the 98 cable shifters pay attention to this.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: It finally hapened - 10/28/05 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

Thanks for the follow up. I thought it would work, and you confirmed it. I hope others with the 98 cable shifters pay attention to this.

No problem. Thank you for the part number!
Posted By: starjammir Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:24 PM
Sorry to bring up an old post, but is the plastic bushing the same on the shift tower as on the shifter? Can someone take a pic please because my one on the shifter is gone and I do not want to replace the whole cable just the plastic bushing would be awesome
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:32 PM
Did you even search "cable ends?" Hello!
Posted By: starjammir Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:33 PM
I just was lookin at that, and it kinda looks like the one on the right...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:38 PM
It does huh? Post a pic of it.
Posted By: starjammir Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:43 PM
This is the only pic I have of it.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:49 PM
They look a bit different than the cable ends at the shift tower. Plus they are pressed on. They aren't going anywhere. You have a problem at the shifter you're replacing the cables.

Posted By: starjammir Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:51 PM
I dont want to replace the cables though Anyone want to do it for me
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:54 PM
For $150 I will.
Posted By: starjammir Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 03:55 PM
That would be cheaper than a dealer hmmm...lets wait til it cools off a little then we will talk
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 04:00 PM
Heat doesn't bother me. It's only going to be in the 90's for another day or so.
Posted By: starjammir Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 04:04 PM
Well, let me go to the junk yard on thurs and mess around with one of their cars and see what i can do...ill let you know by the end of the week
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 04:09 PM
Good luck finding a manual Contour.
Posted By: starjammir Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 04:10 PM
You kidding right? There is so many on dort highway, hell i found 3 in one old junk yard by me pre 98 though .
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/01/06 04:20 PM
You won't find one around W. MI for sure.
Posted By: BurritaSVT_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/02/06 04:49 PM
I had the same problem but for 10 bucks I have it working like new. Go to Lowe's buy a 5/15 rubber gromet a couple or the size that matches the rod. Slide the gromet on the shaft this will make the two peices fit snug and still alow the peice to swivel. Then take a washer same size of the shaft end with a small hole and place it on the rod end and go buy 1/4 inch C-snap ring that you see on throttle cables and then you have it like new. And on the larger rod I put a washer and a larger C-snap ring. GL
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: It finally hapened - 08/02/06 04:52 PM
Could you take a pic of it? Kind of a pain but I'm sure it would help.
© CEG Archives