Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: rouar September 11 ... - 09/04/02 10:49 PM
... is next Wednesday.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/04/02 10:57 PM
All too soon! Sadly if you don't live on the east coast, you don't really worry about terrorism like us!
-Andy
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/04/02 10:58 PM
Yup, I think on my way to work next Wednesday, I'm going to drive downtown and pay my respects...again. I just can't believe its been a year. I've also been having trouble getting used to that changed skyline, it haunts me everyday as I drive to work. Thank God my friends that worked there made it out and in one piece.
Posted By: Slimshady Re: September 11 ... - 09/04/02 11:19 PM
My B-day is the 13th of Sept. How do i celebrate with such sadness all around

Just have to make the best of it which i'm sure the TRI-STATE area will.
Posted By: CJ 2000 Re: September 11 ... - 09/04/02 11:29 PM
In reply to:

Sadly if you don't live on the east coast, you don't really worry about terrorism like us!

How is that sad? And how would people in San Francisco not have to worry; I heard many many warnings on the Golden Gate. I've heard many stories of the terrorists either being in or planning attacks in Seattle and San Diego. It affects us all. And that is the sad part.
Posted By: Cathode Re: September 11 ... - 09/04/02 11:40 PM
so soon...

I'm just glad I got a chance to experience it fully. My company is doing some of the rebuild work down there and I got to walk down into the 'ditch' 2 weeks ago. I walked all over, down into the subway tunnels and all. Gained a different perspective after that.
Posted By: jlanger_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 01:15 AM
In reply to:

All too soon! Sadly if you don't live on the east coast, you don't really worry about terrorism like us!

I think a lot of people from OK city would disagree with this. But I do agree with it coming so quick. Seems just like yesterday when I got the call from my pop saying we were going to war, just in time to watch the towers fall. I still get this huge ball of rage thinking about it.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 01:42 AM
Originally posted by ANDYW:
-Andy

I still don't worry much about terrorism in my direct area(who'd wanna bomb cow hampshire?)

this year has definitely flown by WAY TOO FAST!
Posted By: PA 3L SVT_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 02:00 AM
One of those things I'll always remember where/when I heard about it, like my parents when Kennedy got shot. I remember being THE person with news at work because I was hitting reload on the thread here every 5 seconds.

My birthday is Friday, and now every year my b-day is going to lead up to the saddest day in recent American history.
Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 02:34 AM
it will be a doubly sad day for me as my pops passed sept 11 from cancer.....

i still remember us explaining (trying) to my girls then 6yr old about why mean people would want to do something like that to us as americans

i worry about terrorism particularly since irvine where mom lives is a haven for terrorist candidates....

the guy that shot up l.a.x back on memorial day was from irvine
Posted By: TGO Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 02:35 AM
Yeah me too..my birthday is tomorrow, it'll always being memories of this.

It's gone way too fast..I can't believe it's been a year. I remember it like it was yesterday too. Hell I was suppsoed to be within a few blocks...luckily, me being me, I slept late and never made it. My friend called me on the phone to see if I was there or not, took a few seconds to get a word out of him. I was like WTF do yo uwant man!?

I walked past the site a few weeks ago, there was a microsoft seminar I had to go to on 8th Ave, and I took the wrong train back to the ferry. It must have been 95 degrees that day and I was getting chills walking past. It really is horrifying. And the most disgusting part of it all is how it's now a tourist attraction

HEADLIGHTS ON 9/11
Posted By: 2G Sport_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 02:47 AM
We were coming home from our honeymoon(married Sept 7th) at around 12 noon on Sept 11 when my wife and I heard about it. We stayed in a cabin for 4 days and had no TV/radio, and our cell phones were out of range. When we left we were listening to CDs until we got a call from her mom when we got closer to Columbus. My wife started crying, I thought it was because her mom was in the hospital or something. Needless to say my wife did not want to go back to our apartment(we live near an airport) so we had to go to her mom's house to watch the news. Very sad.
Posted By: rouar Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 04:16 AM
I remember my physics teacher casually mentioned the planes crashing and then went on with his lesson. It wasn't until after 10:00 that I learned what really was going on. All my other classes (except math with the same teacher) were focused on the day's events. We couldn't even watch it on TV in class; since the school's under construction and the cable wasn't hooked up.
And to think I still managed to have homework on that day; I couldn't even watch the news at home.
Posted By: PA 3L SVT_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 04:49 AM
The mayor of Philadelphia came on the radio at noon and said the following: "Do not come into Philadelphia today, unless it is absolutely necessary or you are emergency personnel. If you are here and don't need to be, go home now."

I had class at Temple that evening but didn't go. Like I could concentrate on a lecture about finite state machines that evening. School was never officially cancelled but many professors cancelled class on their own. The mayor's words were all I needed, and I wanted to be at home that evening.

Of course, my prof (who is Vietnamese) held class, collected homework, and assigned new homework. All but two students in the class (me and another guy) were foreign Pakistani, Indian, or Chinese nationals, and they all showed up.

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm no racist, but I had trouble accepting this group of people treating Sept 11, 2001 as just another day at school. I no longer attend Temple University, and that was a big reason why.
Posted By: Cool Blue Mystique Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 05:35 AM
I remember that day like it was yesterday...I woke up, heard on the radio that comeone crashed into the WTC, and didnt think much of it...all I thought was some idiot pilot...my first class was the usual (Phy Ed) but my next class, Power Systems, our teacher had a big lecture, and told us that the world would never be the same. Then after lunch we had a freshmen meeting, and our Drama director and VP told us all what had happened, which was about the first we had heard any of the details. None of my classes were usual, English we listened to the news and watched CNN, Algebra we did the same, in History we talked about terrorism, what causes it, how it will never go away, and whether we thought it would turn into a big war. Heh, I still remember exactly where I sat in all my classes. I didn't have my car that day because my mom needed to use it, so I had to walk home (a good hour+ walk) and I remember looking at things alot more closely. I live near a golf course so there's alot of trees and wildlife around, and I remember how beautiful I thought everything was that day, and how it could all change in a matter of seconds. Then that night, EVERYONE had to put gas on, and of course, so did we. Put gas on the BMW, the Mystique, and the 6000. Waited in line most of the night, then the Fargo Forum had a special edition newspaper out, with all the news of the day. I still have that paper, and will never get rid of it. It's painful memories, but it's now part of our country's history, and another challenge that we have pulled through. I still cant imagine the feeling of being on a plane, and knowing that it's the last thing you'll see. Terribly sad
Posted By: whitegt Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 06:59 AM
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
Yeah me too..my birthday is tomorrow, it'll always being memories of this.

It's gone way too fast..I can't believe it's been a year. I remember it like it was yesterday too. Hell I was suppsoed to be within a few blocks...luckily, me being me, I slept late and never made it. My friend called me on the phone to see if I was there or not, took a few seconds to get a word out of him. I was like WTF do yo uwant man!?

I walked past the site a few weeks ago, there was a microsoft seminar I had to go to on 8th Ave, and I took the wrong train back to the ferry. It must have been 95 degrees that day and I was getting chills walking past. It really is horrifying. And the most disgusting part of it all is how it's now a tourist attraction

HEADLIGHTS ON 9/11
I'm thinking headlights too. To show my respect.
Posted By: Cathode Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 12:15 PM
Originally posted by PA 3L SVT:
The mayor of Philadelphia came on the radio at noon and said the following: "Do not come into Philadelphia today, unless it is absolutely necessary or you are emergency personnel. If you are here and don't need to be, go home now."

I had class at Temple that evening but didn't go. Like I could concentrate on a lecture about finite state machines that evening. School was never officially cancelled but many professors cancelled class on their own. The mayor's words were all I needed, and I wanted to be at home that evening.

Of course, my prof (who is Vietnamese) held class, collected homework, and assigned new homework. All but two students in the class (me and another guy) were foreign Pakistani, Indian, or Chinese nationals, and they all showed up.

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm no racist, but I had trouble accepting this group of people treating Sept 11, 2001 as just another day at school. I no longer attend Temple University, and that was a big reason why.

FYI - Villanova didn't respond much differently. I had an 11:15 AM class on the 11th and not only was it not cancelled, they took attendance, and after a few brief words of concern said "We'll try to incorporate this into today's material."

F'ing BS...I couldn't believe that. I had to cease watching live news coverage of the largest terrorist attack in US history to attend an all-important session of 'Engineering and the Human Context'.

And they never did get around to incorporating anything that day, as you might have imagined.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 01:20 PM
I was in an accident with my brother in law (the fabled tour vs. tour wreck) on the 2nd, and my sister had a cast on her leg. We were in the Hospital, here on base, getting her ankle looked at when a nurse ran in the cast room and yelled "SHUT UP, SHUT UP.. LISTEN!!" and turned on the radio.. Live coverage of the events..

We walked into the waiting room for Orthopedics, and saw the news, live, on the TV. I saw the second plane crash, and never looked away from that moment on. Horribly tragic to see those people die that way.

I am completely ashamed of myself, now, because when it happened, and the towers began to collapse, I stared in amazement. Now, almost a year later, I finally realized that while I stood there staring, open-jawed.. There were thousands of people plummeting towards the earth, inside those buildings, and I never once thought of them, while it happened. I just couldn't take my mind off of those planes, or the buildings...

I was sad to see such a loss of life, and angry to know that it was purposely done. I get a sharp pain in my stomach still, even now, when I think about it.. I am in the military for a reason, and I can't WAIT to do something more for my country.

There have been alot of interviews with people who lost their family/friends on that day.. and one of them was my best friend.

Matthew Michael Flocco, 21, Newark, Delaware
aerographer's mate second class, U.S. Navy
Confirmed dead, Pentagon, at/in building

His father used part of Matt's life insurance money to buy an RV and move, permanately to the Pentagon, to help rebuild it.
His mother, Sheila, and Father will be on Larry King Live, and multiple other places.. Sheila still hasn't been able to cope.. she hasn't cried yet.. it isn't real to her.. Matt will come home someday, she still feels. Sad, too sad..

I will have my headlights on ALL DAY 9.11.02

Ray

Posted By: The Davis Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ANDYW:
Sadly if you don't live on the east coast, you don't really worry about terrorism like us!
-Andy

Please don't generalize the rest of the country out of this by saying that. Some of us knew someone that perished in the Murrah Building in OKC. Some of us had mothers on the way to that building the very day it happened. Luckily, she wasn't there yet, but another family member was.

I'll never forget hearing Howard Stern talking about the WTC. I thought it was a piss-poor prank at first, but when I tuned a different station in and heard them talking about it, I knew something terrible had happened.

I'll never forget driving to work that day under completely empty skies. Not a plane or news chopper in sight - the day somehow seemed vacant...all to eerie.

Somehow I did manage to focus on the horror those poor souls in the buildings and in the planes must have felt. I still get choked up when they play commercials showing a little girl and how she was excited to go on a vacation with her mom...then saying her plane struck Tower 1. I can't imagine how it must've felt for the adults...how the children must've felt makes me want to ball up and cry. I guess being a father does that to you...

I have never been in NYC, but has it really become a tourist destination, as mentioned above, or is it simply a country's way of coping; of becoming a part of it; of understanding the scope of what happened? People flocked to OKC as well, but I never viewed it as a tourist destination. It was a common pain these people felt and knew no other way to defeat the internal demons left behind than to see it for themselves...a modern pilgrimage of sorts.

Headlights on for certain on 9/11...
Posted By: ElKy Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 04:27 PM
I lived about 15 miles north of Boston at that time. You could see the city from my balcony.
I can remember all day and night for about a week after the 11th, seeing and hearing fighter jets passing over my condo at extremely low altitudes. they were constantly patroling the airspace over Boston.

very real..very frightening.....

Posted By: Ripster14_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 04:52 PM
My birthday is Friday, and now every year my b-day is going to lead up to the saddest day in recent American history.

My best friends birthday is September 11. I don't think anyone I know will have a hard time remembering his B-day!
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 04:57 PM
D Davis I'm sorry for your loss and anyone else who might have lost anyone!

My statement was vague and misdirected! Those who have been directly affected by terrorism and the losses associated with the attacks, OKC, Embassy bombings, WTC, the Pentagon, the military, and a few other incidents, appear to be the only ones concerned about future terrorism.

-Andy
Posted By: 18psi2300 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 08:25 PM
I remember waking up that morning to the phone ringing. My wife just called and said "Turn on the tv, I'll call back later. Gotta go." I was like WTF? So, I turned on the Tv and was completely in disbelief from what I saw. I was scared Sh*tless too because my wife worked at the preschool at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton. They always said that if there was an attack on America that it would be there, so I was so scared I couldn't even think straight. Luckily, the instant it happened, they sent all the civilians home, so got home right after I really figured out what was going on. I pray that I an never that scared ever again in my life.

My headlights will be on & I will spread the word!
Posted By: CJ 2000 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 08:30 PM
Simple curiousity, but isn't Dayton, Ohio a little too inland to be a center of attack?
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 08:54 PM
I had to stay in work till 9am that morning for an engineering meeting. I normally get out at 7am so I was pretty tired driving home. I remember everything about that day, one work colleague ahead of me on the drive home, one behind me, the two troopers on the highway clocking speeders.

I got home and and flicked on the TV as normal to watch TV for a few minutes before going to bed. I'll never forget what I saw....the towers on fire.

That was probably the worst day of my life. I am used to seeing the effects of terrorism (I grew up in Ireland) but this was America, those things were not supposed to happen here. I still get queasy watching that footage on TV.

Sorry for rambling..
Posted By: rouar Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 10:32 PM
In between homework I saved clips and snapshots of video that day. Some sad stuff. Here it is. link
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/05/02 11:57 PM
I think this is very much a situiation like the Kennedy asination was for a previous generation. We all will remember where we were and what we were doing when we first heard. I myself was just showing up to drive players at the Red Wings training camp when a friends mom who runs concessions asks me if I've heard the news, and then tells me we're being bombed, they hit the twin towers and they think the pentagon too. I stood around a tv with about half of the Red Wings watching things unfold. Only day in my life I think that I listened to talk radio all day. It was very interesting to hear how the foriegn guys talked, they were just as mad as any american there, and just as in shock. This year, there is no training camp on the 11th. At the resort I work at, there was a line out the door from people coming in from grounded flights that landed at our airport. That night I think it was, I drove a lady to her condo who was among the grounded, she lived in Manhatten, also drove a guy who worked in the towers on a semi regular basis.....made things very real to me. I still get chocked up whenever I read a personal account of what happened from someone close to it. May we never forget what happened that day, nor the people who died needlessly.
Posted By: 18psi2300 Re: September 11 ... - 09/06/02 12:16 AM
Dayton isn't much farther inland than Cleveland, and one of the planes made it that far. The instant the first plane hit, the base went to high alert and were ready to shoot down any plane within a 15 mile radius of their airspace...There are most likely still enough nukes pointed there to end the world. Not to mention there were terrorism theats to the large Middle-eastern peace talks that were held there.
Posted By: TGO Re: September 11 ... - 09/06/02 01:41 AM
In reply to:

I have never been in NYC, but has it really become a tourist destination, as mentioned above, or is it simply a country's way of coping; of becoming a part of it; of understanding the scope of what happened? People flocked to OKC as well, but I never viewed it as a tourist destination. It

These are not peopel going there to leave flowers and stuff....these are people wearing shorts/tshirts/sneakers and snapping pictures at everything they can like it's disney land. NYC maps in hand. Obviously tourists.
Posted By: The Davis Re: September 11 ... - 09/06/02 03:59 PM
These are not peopel going there to leave flowers and stuff....these are people wearing shorts/tshirts/sneakers and snapping pictures at everything they can like it's disney land. NYC maps in hand. Obviously tourists.

That is sad, then
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/06/02 04:37 PM
Originally posted by D Davis:

That is sad, then

Why? It is going to go down as one of the most important events in our nations history. I would certainly go to the scene if I was in NYC much like I would go to Pearl Harbor if I were in Hawaii and the site of the disaster if I were in OKC. And in each case, I would certainly have a camera in hand. It's not disrespectful to want to see or be at the site of an event that had such an impact on our country.
Posted By: The Davis Re: September 11 ... - 09/06/02 04:59 PM
Did you read what I said when I first asked the question?? I've already qualified the same argument as yourself.
Posted By: thisgirls98.5SVT_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/07/02 01:53 AM
Very Long, but definitely worth reading!!

"DO NOT FORGET"

I sat in a movie theater watching "Schindler's List," asked myself, "Why didn't the Jews fight back?"

Now I know why.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Pearl Harbor" and asked myself, "Why weren't we prepared?"

Now I know why.

Civilized people cannot fathom, much less predict, the actions of evil people.

On September 11, dozens of capable airplane passengers allowed themselves to be overpowered by a handful of poorly armed terrorists because they did not comprehend the depth of hatred that motivated their captors.

On September 11, thousands of innocent people were murdered because too many Americans naively reject the reality that some nations are dedicated to the dominance of others. Many political pundits, pacifists and media personnel want us to forget the carnage. They say we must focus on the bravery of the rescuers and ignore the cowardice of the killers. They implore us to understand the motivation of the perpetrators. Major television stations have announced they will assist the healing process by not replaying devastating footage of the planes crashing into the Twin Towers.

I will not be manipulated.

I will not pretend to understand.

I will not forget.

I will not forget the liberal media who abused freedom of the press to kick our country when it was vulnerable and hurting.

I will not forget that CBS anchor Dan Rather preceded President Bush's address to the nation with the snide remark, "No matter how you feel about him, he is still our president."

I will not forget that ABC TV anchor Peter Jennings questioned President Bush's motives for not returning immediately to Washington, DC and commented, "We're all pretty skeptical and cynical about Washington."

And I will not forget that ABC's Mark Halperin warned if reporters weren't informed of every little detail of this war, they aren't "likely -- nor should they be expected -- to show deference."

I will not isolate myself from my fellow Americans by pretending an attack on the USS Cole in Yemen was not an attack on the United States of America.

I will not forget the Clinton administration equipped Islamic terrorists and their supporters with the world's most sophisticated telecommunications equipment and encryption technology, thereby compromising America's ability to trace terrorist radio, cell phone, land lines, faxes and modem communications.

I will not be appeased with pointless, quick retaliatory strikes like those perfected by the previous administration.

I will not be comforted by "feel-good, do nothing" regulations like the silly "Have your bags been under your control?" question at the airport.

I will not be influenced by so called,"antiwar demonstrators" who exploit the right of expression to chant anti-American obscenities.

I will not forget the moral victory handed the North Vietnamese by American war protesters who reviled and spat upon the returning soldiers, airmen, sailors and Marines.

I will not be softened by the wishful thinking of pacifists who chose reassurance over reality.

I will embrace the wise words of Prime Minister Tony Blair who told Labor Party conference, "They have no moral inhibition on the slaughter of the innocent. If they could have murdered not 7,000 but 70,000, does anyone doubt they would have done so and rejoiced in it?

There is no compromise possible with such people, no meeting of minds, no point of understanding with such terror. Just a choice: defeat it or be defeated by it. And defeat it we must!"

I will force myself to:

-hear the weeping
-feel the helplessness
-imagine the terror
-sense the panic
-smell the burning flesh
- experience the loss
- remember the hatred.

I sat in a movie theater, watching "Private Ryan" and asked myself, "Where did they find the courage?"

Now I know.

We have no choice. Living without liberty is not living.

-- Ed Evans, MGySgt., USMC (Ret.)
Not as lean, Not as mean, But still a Marine.

Keep this going until every living American has read it and memorized it so we don't make the same mistake again.
Posted By: rouar Re: September 11 ... - 09/07/02 02:10 AM
Wow! A fine read. Where'd you find it?
Posted By: Woodencross Re: September 11 ... - 09/07/02 05:18 AM
I'll have my headlights on and pass the word...
Posted By: Cartman Re: September 11 ... - 09/07/02 10:09 AM
Originally posted by dnewma04:
Originally posted by D Davis:

That is sad, then

Why? It is going to go down as one of the most important events in our nations history. I would certainly go to the scene if I was in NYC much like I would go to Pearl Harbor if I were in Hawaii and the site of the disaster if I were in OKC. And in each case, I would certainly have a camera in hand. It's not disrespectful to want to see or be at the site of an event that had such an impact on our country.

Exactly, couldn't agree with you more!

Me and my g/f were in NYC a few months before the attacks, and because she'd never been to the city before, we made a weekend of it and saw the sites. We even went to the WTC - But by the time we got there, she was tired and we didn't make it past the lobby before she decided she didn't want to go up. We ended up getting a snack at the Krispy Kreme there, and then went back to the hotel.

I myself had never been to the top of the WTC, so I was sort of irked about the whole thing. But it was a long day, and the weather was pretty cold, so I let it go. When 9/11 happened, I was stunned. She felt REALLY bad about the fact that because of her selfishness that day, we'll never have a chance to do that now.

I would like to go back and see how it's all changed, it is a part of history after all. And I probably would take pictures, something to show to my kids down the road when they're learning about this.
Posted By: thisgirls98.5SVT_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/07/02 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Wow! A fine read. Where'd you find it?

Someone my stepmom knows sent it to her.
Posted By: FFE_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/07/02 05:53 PM
I remeber when I first heard the news. I was at marching band practice, At first I thought it was a small plane and maybe a few casualties. Then walking through the halls of the school I heard classmates talking about it. When I got to ag the first thing I did was turn on a computer and hop over to a news site, and this site were I saw people falling/jumping from the towers, big gaping holes in the side and the pentagon on fire . i'll never forget those sights. I spent most the day in the Library watching the news. Thanks to some slack classes. But most the classes disscussed what was goin on anyway
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: September 11 ... - 09/10/02 09:45 PM
Amanda that is amazing. Thanks for sharing. It is exactly how I feel. September 11, 2001 was the day the war came to America, and we should NEVER forget that.
© CEG Archives