Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:03 PM
How many of you have embellished on your resume, just wondering how many people are honest on theirs vs tweaking their qualifications a little. So here's a post and feel free to discuss as well.

Your resume
My resume is all me baby
Ok, so I tweaked a few things, so what
Theres a few things on there I've never done before
I look at my own resume and don't even recognize myself

Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:08 PM
all me

Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:22 PM
I'm honest on it but I'm starting to think it's a bad idea.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:27 PM
Originally posted by hotdimmes:

its all in the way it is presented, the cover leter helps that also

but everythign on my resume is all me ...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:31 PM
All me, no bullsh*t.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:31 PM

see this is what I'm thinking too, my resume has always been all me, but I'm wondering if I'm getting nudged out by somebody who through some BS on his.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:36 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:

I hope you spelling improves on your resume.

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:37 PM
what I found when I was looking for a job out of school was the presentation and language of the resume. I tried with one that I made up and got no where, I looked at a few different resumes and I got a format that I like and was clean and simple. I then had a friend, she is an english major and is good at it, review and reword my resume, after that I started getting hits ...

also there are different resume formatts for different jobs
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:42 PM
I don't need a resume.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 01:55 PM
People still have resumes?

Oh well.

It's all me, but in the best possible phrasing. That's expected, and I wouldn't consider it "tweaking." You have to make your experience relevant to the employer, and a lot of employers appreciate good writing skills, too. Remember, too, that the purpose of the Resume is to get you into an interview. (I never heard of anyone getting hired based on their resume).

Anything you put on there, you'd better be able to back it up face to face.

If someone is lying about a qualification (i.e., claiming education or job experience that they really don't have), they'll have more to answer to than I can worry about.

Posted By: MxRacer Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 02:00 PM
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:

ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MxRacer:

I had to re-read their posts since I didn't catch it first time around. I think that's sig-worthy!
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 02:30 PM
haha, TexasRealtor has been zapped!!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 02:35 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
Anything you put on there, you'd better be able to back it up face to face.

Definately. Mine is all me, but depending on the position, taylored to emphasize the experience & qualifications that are pertinent.

A bit of real life once in a lifetime kinda experience is left in as that just looks good, but most of the resume will have qualifications & experience targeted as an easy read for the reviewer so he can match skills with the job. All the superfluous junk can be discussed & presented in an interview - so bring a resume with a complete listing of experience & qualifications, just in case the interview team wants a full run-down.

Gaps in the employment dates I don't care about. If asked, let interviewers know you were working where-ever for some months to pay the bills & the employment experience was not of particular value to the current application, offer up the complete employment time-line & call it a day. Hasn't failed me yet.

Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 03:45 PM
Originally posted by MxRacer:

Welcome yerself.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/01/06 04:55 PM
Mine used to be all me, but then I realized that it was pathetic and I had more skills than what my job experience was. So since my mom owns her own computer business, I just used her as a "job" with the skills I know I have, and she'll back it up. That was just for mainly as an "office" job so if I apply for data entry, or receptionist or something like that, I will have the "experience" which really isn't a lie cause my mom DOES own her own computer tutor company and I did help her start it and work for her, so I guess it IS all me. LOLOLOL, but I never worked in an office before, so that was my "office" experience.
Posted By: Beachboy_dup1 Re: Tweaked resumes - 09/02/06 04:57 AM
As one of the resident "old guys" at CEG, I'm now in the position of interviewing and hiring, and thus sorting through a half dozen or more resumes to determine who we call in for interviews. Its really fun to have the "shoe on the other foot" in life...

I look through the resumes, trying to ignore the computer enhancements like "cool" layouts and fancy fonts, and try to cut to the chase. We always require college transcripts, regardless of the applicant's age, and I don't automatically kick an applicant out just because of a few lousy grades in college, because I know I had my share. But if I see a trend toward better grades towards their senior years, that's a plus. I don't put any weight towards participation in frats, despite what the frats try to sell their pledges. I bear in mind the wages we are offering (its state government) and their accomplishments and stated career goals. I fully realize that most college graduates will have no intentions of making a career with one employer, so we look for who can help us out the most in the short term.

As far as "enhancing" your resume, after a few years experience going through dozens of resumes, you can spot the typical "enhancement" language a mile off. And believe me, when I see a lot of it, its a red flag. I'd must rather consider a person for interview that came across as honest in their resume, rather than some "hot dog" that I know is either embellishing his resume or else is way too qualified for the job we're offering, and will be moving on to another job within a year, leaving us to start the whole process over again.

Just my two cents....
© CEG Archives