Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pole120 2 Days and i can't stand my TWC road runner - 08/30/06 01:26 AM
Here's the total rundown.

After deciding to use my cell phone as my home phone it came time to set up internet in my new apartment.

DSL + the cost of a phone line was more expensive than Road Runner so i called and ordered up.

Tech comes to install, turns out the jack in my office is an antenna jack and not a cable jack, only cable jack is in my living room and the tech says policy says he can't run a cable along the wall and into my office because it's a tripping hazard. Fine. So he leavs having accomplished nothing and i have to waite another 2 weeks for another tech to come and install a wireless system wich is an additional $8 a month(stil slightly cheaper than DSL).

I have a constand "excelent" connection strength yet i still get bumped offline for a couple seconds about twice a minute.

The tech then tells me i can run an ethernet cable from the wireless hub to my computer and it shoudl eliminate the problem.....but waite, i thought you couldn't recomen i dothat becasue it's a tripping hazard What's the point of paying for wireless if i'm never even going to use it

I'm going to try an ethernet cable tomorrow and see if it ends the problem but this is rediculous and i'm going to call TWC and try and get some compensation(did it with my old DSL connection, got a couple months free out of it). I cna't even us AIM because i get bumped offline and ahve to keep re-signing in

Anyone else have problems with the service or have input that can help me here?
give me a call at home
dialing now
I don't hear the phone ringing yet
Quick, everyone make fun of them while they're on the phone!
Snakes on a mutha&#^&@^! phone
Wait .. you're paying an extra $8/mo difference for the wireless versus wired? You're getting hosed, man. It shouldn't cost you any more - as long as the signal is coming into your house, that's all that the company can tell (unless you signed up for multiple IP addresses, which shouldn't be necessary for a home network).

When I sign up for cable internet (soon), I'm going to obtain a used modem from craigslist, which saves me $3 in rental fees. It's not difficult to set up a home network by yourself, the 25-page manual that comes with any router or access point more than does the job explaining things simply. Plus you have the added benefit of being able to run the wires along the walls yourself without having to deal with legalities (this is necessary in an 80-year-old building!)
Originally posted by Rouar:
Wait .. you're paying an extra $8/mo difference for the wireless versus wired? You're getting hosed, man. It shouldn't cost you any more - as long as the signal is coming into your house, that's all that the company can tell (unless you signed up for multiple IP addresses, which shouldn't be necessary for a home network).

The extra money is for the special wireless modem/router that they give you. Instead of buying your own they provide you with one. But considering how much they cost that $8 will buy you one of your own in just a few months.
Originally posted by sigma:
Originally posted by Rouar:

The extra money is for the special wireless modem/router that they give you. Instead of buying your own they provide you with one. But considering how much they cost that $8 will buy you one of your own in just a few months.

Exactly. You can buy your own and tell TWC to

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010
I've determined that windows wireless control blows nuts.. i've noticed in much better in Win XP SP2 than previous versions.

For some reason windows likes to switch your connections on you even if the one you have is perfectly fine.

So you have a lot of other wireless signals in your area?

Oh.. and buy a wireless ethernet router combo for 40 bucks and save yourself $8 a month.
Agreed, I have used both the Windows wireless software and the Intel PROSet that came with the wireless card, and the PROSet is light years better.

If you don't want to go wireless, why not just pay the guy the $50 or so to wire the office outlet to cable?
Unless you want nothing to do with a DIY setup, you can either:

A) Buy a wireless router and hook it up for around $40-80 (depends on router)

B) Buy a ethernet wire long enough to reach your office for about $20.

If you go wireless, sometimes the connection will break up. If you go the corded route, you might trip over it if you don't see it coming, but there will be no break ups in the line connection.

And I guess you can make the guy do it and pay him for his work.

The choice is yours.
Josh you should have told them to make you a cable long enough to run into the room. Policy says THEY can't run it along the floor. They'll let YOU run it along the floor though. trust me been through that with TWC and Charter both made me super long cables. Most of the techs don't give a [censored] how much cable they use. I had them make me a buch for my basement so I could wire up my whole house for cable. You just have to play dumb or let them use your drills considering theres suck and they can't drill through bread
I've got a 25' cable in my hands i'm borrowing from work, if all is well after i plug it in, a local CEGer is going to make me one.
© CEG Archives