Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TexasRealtor 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 12:15 AM
How does the Infinity beat the Bimmer in ever category, yet tie in points and lose?

...plus it is almost $10k less. (what exactly is a "willing BMW dealer?")
Posted By: m4gician Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 12:21 AM
infinity is Japanese, BMW is well German. That factors into the price, plus it's different technology behind each. BMW uses straight 6 design or sorry inline 6 while the g35 uses the engine in the maxima, 350z and coupe g35 which has VVT, and other similar technology. The G35 is a better looking and cheaper to maintain car but not by much, the BMW has better value retention, it and Toyota hold their value the best over the years. Infinity is still Nissan. The 330 you're inquiring about is pretty much one step short of the m3 and has much more luxury and technology to it. Uh.. long story short the BMW is worth more because it's a BMW, and a willing BMW dealer is one that will give you close to the Whole sale price of the car...

carcostcanada.com or I think it was edmunds.com for the US.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 12:23 AM
Originally posted by m4gician:
and a willing BMW dealer is one that will give you close to the Whole sale price of the car...

Not unless you work for Motor Trend.

...and it cost them $45,165 vs $36,000. I suspect the Frank Markus has a new BMW sitting in his driveway.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 02:18 AM
The 330 you're inquiring about is pretty much one step short of the m3

The 330i is a whole lotta steps short of the M3.
Posted By: m4gician Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
The 330 you're inquiring about is pretty much one step short of the m3

The 330i is a whole lotta steps short of the M3.

yes it is, but after the 330xi (or ci), all you have left in the 3series is the M3 . Anyways, if I were you, I'd want the Infinity because I personally like the styling and I like Japanese vs. German though I would probably go German if I felt an ego boost that day .

The G35 overall probably beats the BMW on paper, but a BMW is a BMW :d
Posted By: sigma Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 02:59 AM
Quote:

yes it is, but after the 330xi (or ci), all you have left in the 3series is the M3 .

No, now you have the 335i for that very reason -- to fill the gap between the 330i (which isn't that great of a performer) and the M3 (which is pretty much the best of the best). Now that's a car that's just a step shy of the M3 (the last-gen M3 anyhow).
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 02:59 AM
I haven't driven the 2007 G35. But the previous generation was lacking in refinement and polish, IMO.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Pete D:
I haven't driven the 2007 G35. But the previous generation was lacking in refinement and polish, IMO.

I 100% agree with you, the g35 is an amazing car, however upon ownership you notice slight rattles and stupid noises that are just ridiculous. My brother and I drove out in his brand new g35X with 15 miles and after a 100 miles, the center console started to rattle, theres a ton of wind noise from the back, and now the navi screen wont pop out. Little things like that really get to you. However in the end when u look at what you paid and what u got, that feels good with the Infiniti but with BMW, they will not throw u a deal and pretty much every thing down to power seats is an option
Posted By: m4gician Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

I 100% agree with you, the g35 is an amazing car, however upon ownership you notice slight rattles and stupid noises that are just ridiculous. My brother and I drove out in his brand new g35X with 15 miles and after a 100 miles, the center console started to rattle, theres a ton of wind noise from the back, and now the navi screen wont pop out. Little things like that really get to you. However in the end when u look at what you paid and what u got, that feels good with the Infiniti but with BMW, they will not throw u a deal and pretty much every thing down to power seats is an option

actually to get a DEAL on the BMW, ... uh try and be friends with the guy, deal with manager, have the cost price handy, ...deal drugs for extra money? I dunno, uh look compare the two cars for what they are, CARS! And how they felt on the test drive. They both have GOOD names behind them and it's not like saying "well that's my ride, the Hyundai" vs. "well that's my ride, the Benz.' You're pretty much apples to apples in that sense, so its up to you. 2007 g35 looks nice .
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 03:45 AM

actually to get a DEAL on the BMW, ... uh try and be friends with the guy, deal with manager, have the cost price handy, ...deal drugs for extra money? I dunno, uh look compare the two cars for what they are, CARS! And how they felt on the test drive. They both have GOOD names behind them and it's not like saying "well that's my ride, the Hyundai" vs. "well that's my ride, the Benz.' You're pretty much apples to apples in that sense, so its up to you. 2007 g35 looks nice .

both cars drive amazing, so isnt the buyer going to consider what he is getting for his money? if he does then he's def. gettin the G35 because you will pay $4k-$8K less then a BMW to get a fully loaded G, and thats a fact..
Posted By: m4gician Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 04:05 AM
lol it's the driver's opinion, and by drive I mean do all the little things work out for you too? The cup holders, the dash, the instrument cluser, the GPS, the layout. Which car represents you better? In what Colour? Does it boost your ego? Do you like the way the seats feel? Which car would you rather spend long hours in? Does BMW's name help make it easier? The G35 has 4 tail pipes, do you like that? If you wanted to do engine work (why...) which would you rather work on? I think when he's comparing the 2, he knows the BMW is more, but he's trying to I guess ask is it worth it? To me, I'm a bottom line kind of guy, and I'll take the no name food over the brand name sometimes, so to me, 2007 ALL NEW g35 is my way to go. The BMW is still BMW, and if I were to buy or lease a car like this, it would be because I want something new. Remember the 2007 may have small features different from the 2006 330 ( I assume 2006),
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 04:30 PM
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
How does the Infinity beat the Bimmer in ever category, yet tie in points and lose?

...plus it is almost $10k less. (what exactly is a "willing BMW dealer?")

M4gician, you have completely missed the point.

Hey, Tex, care to reference the mag article you're bitching about? Or link, if possible?
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 05:01 PM
The G35 has 4 tail pipes, do you like that?

Posted By: XKontour98 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 05:02 PM
I believe it is the one in the October MT.

If i were to buy, I think I would go with the G35 based on price alone.

If money weren't a factor I would probably go for the BMW. However the BMW name alone carries a lot of connotations, some that aren't positive about a persons character.

I think they are a tie honestly, however I don't think the BMW should win, when it costs as much as it does over the G35.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 05:03 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
I believe it is the one in the October MT.

That's the one.
Posted By: klavender_dup1 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 05:19 PM
......but a BMW is a BMW :d

Which is why I own a 1987 325 with 240,000 miles and still runs strong. Of course, I only paid $1500 for it. BTW, I'm officially a troll now.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 05:47 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
However the BMW name alone carries a lot of connotations, some that aren't positive about a persons character.

Yes, and I used to worry about stuff like that. Funny that I'm a few years older now and I don't give a rats *** about what other people think about my car choices.

Still, I think the G is a better bargain. If money were no object, I'd have a bigger house on a large plot of land with a ginormous garage full of cars and trucks, each to its own purpose. Yeah, there'd be a BMW or two in there, along with a Porsche, an Alfa, maybe even some old Fords. At least one track car, some classics, a grand tourer, a tow rig...and so on.

But here in the real world, I'd get a new G, or a used M3 old enough for me to afford, and let somebody else pay the roundel premium.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 05:49 PM

With that kind of attitude toward motoring & a willingness to pay $10k or $15k or more for a less capable car just for the ego boost,....

Would somebody be considered a trend hunting consumer, and not an enthusiast?

I suppose you might even be able to pigeon hole me into that category since I've been wanting to buy a Jag XKR for the longest time. Damn sexy car. I've been reconsidering lately in favor of a 2005 T-Bird as it's more comfortable.

There may be a point where wanting into a particular class or make of car for the statement is not a sell-out, but I don't really know where to draw that line or if it can even be justified... Limited production cars maybe?

Anyway, I don't think BMW belongs on the 'other side' of that imaginary, arbitrary line from the Infinity since BMW is not nearly as exclusive as it used to be.

Discuss.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/29/06 06:22 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

...BMW is not nearly as exclusive as it used to be.

Discuss.

When was BMW ever exclusive? They offer some expensive models, and they have a premium image in America, so their cars run a bit higher than a "comparable" car from, say, Ford.

"Exclusive" makes me think of Ferrari or Bentley, which BMW has not and never has been.

BMWs are enthusiast cars that also appeal to the poseurs. So, seeing someone in a BMW, you can't tell the difference, usually, so most people (the uninformed) assume you are the latter. So what? (See my post, above.)
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/30/06 03:18 AM
I was reading about the new 2007 BMW 335i Coupe, its said to have 3L twin turbo motor but only up to 300hp?!? pathetic IMO looks beautiful though..

If you drove a BMW, they truely do stand by their motto that NOTHING DRIVES LIKE A BMW. However as good as the drive is, thats pretty much it. You get raped on accesories, interior is really bad and i-drive really blows IMO. Now you look at the G, not the greatest in handling and driving, but its got the power, the sports car sound, and great styling with MANY standard options..its also about $10K cheaper then the BMW. So its really up to the buyer, you want the name BMW or you want more for your money and a car that can smoke a BMW..lol
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/30/06 03:20 AM
I was reading about the new 2007 BMW 335i Coupe, its said to have 3L twin turbo motor but only up to 300hp?!? pathetic IMO looks beautiful though..

Pathetic???
Whatever
Why would they go higher than that? If you want higher, you buy a m3, m5, m6 or whatever m they got that you want.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/30/06 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Pathetic???
Whatever
Why would they go higher than that? If you want higher, you buy a m3, m5, m6 or whatever m they got that you want.

its a waste of a 3L twin turbo!!!!!! atleast make it 350hp - 400hp...the new G35 is faster then that and its not even turbo!!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/30/06 03:30 AM

Pathetic???
Whatever

its a waste of a 3L twin turbo!!!!!! atleast make it 350hp - 400hp...the new G35 is faster then that and its not even turbo!!

Again, why would they do that? You want more power, you buy a more powerful model, which they do have available as a m3.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/30/06 03:33 AM

Pathetic???
Whatever

Again, why would they do that? You want more power, you buy a more powerful model, which they do have available as a m3.

Thats my question too!! why would they waste a twin turbo if they already have high powered M models..they shoulda just done what they always do and slap an I-6 but tuned..it would almost have the same results..
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 08/30/06 03:45 AM

Thats my question too!! why would they waste a twin turbo if they already have high powered M models..they shoulda just done what they always do and slap an I-6 but tuned..it would almost have the same results..

I don't see how they went about obtaining the power is important. I don't care if it was a 4cyl supercharged engine putting out the same power. It's the power level bmw wanted and it fills in a spot between the other 3 series.
But anyways, bmw's tuned 3L puts out 255/220. Sure they could get a few more ponies outta it, but not much without messing with driveability, gas mileage, etc. And they surely couldn't have gotten 300/300.

The 3.2 has to be revved high to get 330 and then is just 262 ft lb. I think bmw knows a little bit about what they're doing.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/01/06 04:19 PM
Just got my C&D mag. They said that "with fewer than 250 miles on the odo,the G35(sedan)covered the quarter-mile in 13.9 seconds at 103 mph."
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/01/06 04:21 PM
Just got my C&D mag. They said that "with fewer than 250 miles on the odo,the G35(sedan)covered the quarter-mile in 13.9 seconds at 103 mph."

Did you see the bit from the Solstice GXP review where they pointed out that GM released their direct-injection turbo motor at the same time that BMW did? It was kind of funny the way they slid that in there.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/01/06 04:42 PM
After completeing the article, I would definitely choose the G35! All around better vehicle in most respects and you can also pop for a focus with the money left over!
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/01/06 06:30 PM

One of the eds in the sidebar commented on how it was still unrefined (my sentiment about the first g35), which is unfortunate.
Posted By: stilov Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/02/06 02:57 AM

Pathetic???
Whatever

Did you read the article where they put one on a dyno? It's more like 350...plus I am sure it is detuned. A little of this and a little of that and it could scream.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/02/06 03:00 AM
Originally posted by stilov:

Did you read the article where they put one on a dyno? It's more like 350...plus I am sure it is detuned. A little of this and a little of that and it could scream.

yea but doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that on a BMW costs a pretty penny..
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/02/06 04:21 AM
Originally posted by stilov:

yea but doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that on a BMW costs a pretty penny..

umm not really sorta depends how u go bout it

I doubt I'll ever pick up a new bmw but from driving many a used one and looking at for sale ads, it's probably the way to go. And if it's got turbos, everyone knows what to do with them (more boost!).
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: 2007 G35 vs. 330i (MT) - 09/02/06 02:51 PM
My new AutoWeek(Sept.4,2006)has a better article on the G35.
© CEG Archives