Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: XKontour98 Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 02:25 PM
Has anyone seent he latest MT where they have a story on a possible RWD Commodore based Grand Prix? It would offer 2 differnt V6's and an over 300 hp V8 witha bunch of transmission combo's including a 6 speed auto and manual! THe pics looked Sick!

linky to pic!
Posted By: 00LS5spd Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 02:29 PM
That is one SICK Acura TL, I mean Pontiac GP!!

So if you like the TL, that would be sick, especially if it is comparable in price.
Posted By: Beans_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 02:35 PM
6.0!!!
Posted By: sigma Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 00LS5spd:
That is one SICK Acura TL, I mean Pontiac GP!!

So if you like the TL, that would be sick, especially if it is comparable in price.

It would be significantly less in price. About $10,000 less.

Just as Opel is the new Saturn, Holden is the new Pontiac. Expect a lot more RWD offerings from them from the land down under in the next 5 years or so.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 02:57 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Has anyone seent he latest MT where they have a story on a possible RWD Commodore based Grand Prix? It would offer 2 differnt V6's and an over 300 hp V8 witha bunch of transmission combo's including a 6 speed auto and manual! THe pics looked Sick!

linky to pic!

good direction on pontiac's part... but at the same time this seems like its going to be another GTO fiasco. They take a car, put their name on it and add some of their fit and finnish and call it their car.

I still think the GTO would have done better had they not called it the GTO.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 03:23 PM
If the Commodore comes here - it's adios SVT for me.

-> me for my spelling
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
If the Commoder comes here - it's adios SVT for me.

Can you poop and drive it at the same time? And if it does which way does the water swirl?
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 03:27 PM
Originally posted by todras:
If the Commoder comes here - it's adios SVT for me.

Can you poop and drive it at the same time? And if it does which way does the water swirl?

lmao!!!

Posted By: 00LS5spd Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 04:19 PM
anyone have any idea of wha the new GTO is going to look like? I just drove an '05 with a 6-speed, love the way it drives kinda don't like the way it looks!
Posted By: NO 4 EVR Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 07:08 PM
I would have like to have seen more horsies from a 6L.
Posted By: sigma Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 07:45 PM
Originally posted by NO 4 EVR:
I would have like to have seen more horsies from a 6L.

Knowing GM and how they've always done things, it's exactly the same engine in everything else, just rated differently for marketing purposes.
Posted By: BigBEN_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 08:45 PM
WOW...it looks amazing...i hope it works out!
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 10:47 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkâ?¢:

linky to pic!

good direction on pontiac's part... but at the same time this seems like its going to be another GTO fiasco. They take a car, put their name on it and add some of their fit and finnish and call it their car.

I dissagree. I think their version of the Grand Prix actually looks more like a Grand Prix should, versus the barge we have now.

In the article they said that the GTO lacked styling due to the cost of relocating the gas tank in front of the axels eating all of their budget.

Holden built this vehicle with righ-hand drive and world safety standanrds in mind. That includes proper location of the gas tank.

This thing is going to rock the world!

I would sell both nuts for one of these
Posted By: sigma Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 11:16 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkâ?¢:

linky to pic!

There's a big difference here -- unlike with the GTO, no one has any real preconceived notions of what a Grand Prix is supposed to be. And if they do, it's probably more like the Holden Commodore than the current POS that wears the badge.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/28/06 11:21 PM
That stupid twin mesh thing needs to be WAY more Angular to flow with the rest of the car.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 12:02 AM
It looks like a Gran Prix.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 01:20 AM
In the article they said that the GTO lacked styling due to the cost of relocating the gas tank in front of the axels eating all of their budget.

Holden built this vehicle with righ-hand drive and world safety standanrds in mind. That includes proper location of the gas tank.

It doesn't cost Pontiac any money to make the car LHD since Holden already makes the Chevy Lumina (a'la 4 door GTO) and Caprice (umm... Holden Caprice?) in the middle east.

BTW, Check out the car it's based off of: Commodore SS V-Series

This is what I've been wanting!

Umm... maybe in a few years... checked all the options (not the crap like towing stuff, WTH?), came up with $60,809.20AUD or $46,178.51USD
Posted By: 00LS5spd Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 03:01 AM
does this not look like an Acura TL with a Bad-A$$ body kit? And speaking of that (I know they are 2 totally different vehicles with different purposes)is honda thinking of bringing out a TL S-Type, and how will that compare?
Posted By: sigma Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 03:23 AM
does this not look like an Acura TL with a Bad-A$$ body kit? And speaking of that (I know they are 2 totally different vehicles with different purposes)is honda thinking of bringing out a TL S-Type, and how will that compare?

Looks more like a beefed-up IS300 to me.

But, yes, Acura is bringing out the TL S-Type next year. It won't compare. It's gonna be FWD and 287hp. About 100hp to the wrong wheels short of comparing.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 02:21 PM

No way dude, I dont see a TL in it at all. And like someone already said it schould walk all over a TL-R or whatever they bring out. RWD/V8/6speed man :
Posted By: 2000myst Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 02:44 PM
it looks like a 4 door GTO. It probably uses the same engine. Its cool. I hope it goes into production.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 03:22 PM
badass! this is what the impala should have been!
Posted By: johnny hennessy_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 2000myst:
it looks like a 4 door GTO. It probably uses the same engine. Its cool. I hope it goes into production.

that one uses a northstar V8 360Hp 390TQ according to the motor trend
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 04:19 PM
Also known as the Lumina SS. If you live in the Detroit area you might have seen some around over the past few years. Very nice car! I imagine if it comes out it would have an Ls3 6.2 430hp. Seems to be the direction GM is going with that motor. We should be seeing a few things from holden.

lumina ss in MI
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Livinsvt:

lumina ss in MI

Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 04:44 PM
Originally posted by todras:

lumina ss in MI

Now there is a Lumina worth producing! That would definitely uplift Chevrolet from their current standings!

Those Aussie's sure know how to roll!
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 04:47 PM

No way dude, I dont see a TL in it at all. And like someone already said it schould walk all over a TL-R or whatever they bring out. RWD/V8/6speed man :

Ok I can see a bit of TL in the side profile with the sharp lines and side marker.....but thats all!
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 05:12 PM
I wonder is you can get the almond leather seats in the performance version of the Gran Prix? clicky
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 05:14 PM
What exactly is the difference between the Vortec V-8 and the LS-2? Is it just a slighlty detuned version?
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
What exactly is the difference between the Vortec V-8 and the LS-2? Is it just a slighlty detuned version?

The cylinder heads. I believe the truck head is called a lq9 or something along those lines. Considered to be a better head than the ls2.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 05:32 PM
The GM 6.0 liter Votec V-8 produces 362HP and 390 PF of torque. I wonder why they decided against the LS2 (400HP & 400 FP)?
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 06:20 PM
The GM 6.0 liter Votec V-8 produces 362HP and 390 PF of torque. I wonder why they decided against the LS2 (400HP & 400 FP)?

You have to remeber they are in totaly different vehicles with different layouts and purposes, i.e. in a corvette the exhaust alone is made more for power, duals with x-pipe opposes to a y-pipe design in a truck. They also have to take in effect durabiltiy and the transmissions an other components with it, like transfer cases. All that plays in to effect in how they tune the engine. Don't forget towing either, puts alot stress on an engine and trans.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 06:27 PM

You have to remeber they are in totaly different vehicles with different layouts and purposes, i.e. in a corvette the exhaust alone is made more for power, duals with x-pipe opposes to a y-pipe design in a truck. They also have to take in effect durabiltiy and the transmissions an other components with it, like transfer cases. All that plays in to effect in how they tune the engine. Don't forget towing either, puts alot stress on an engine and trans.

But why put that in a perfomance sedan over the LS2? Isn't the vortec V-8 a truck engine?
Posted By: sigma Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 06:38 PM

They produce more of them, therefore they're cheaper. They also keep a car that's priced probably $15,000 cheaper than a Corvette from having the same power. 'Vette guys don't like that which is why GM has usually marketed their other cars with lower output than the 'Vette even if they're really doing the same.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 07:11 PM
[
But why put that in a perfomance sedan over the LS2? Isn't the vortec V-8 a truck engine?

Ya its a truck motor. Couldn't tell you exactly why they choose that. Though I imagine it could have a ls3 when it comes out over here. Or keep the 360 version in it so its not rated higher than the new camaro which most likely could receive the ls3. Also I have heard the diff in the GTO which is probaly the same in the Holden were barely rated to handle the 400hp. So maybe underated it this time. There is numerous factors, couldn't tell ya really. Not everything they do makes sense
Posted By: sigma Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 08:53 PM
Quote:

Also I have heard the diff in the GTO which is probaly the same in the Holden were barely rated to handle the 400hp. So maybe underated it this time.

Um, the GTO differential is anything but weak. Everything around it -- driveshaft, stubs, axles -- is weak, but the differential is very strong. There's guys running 10s (just a tad bit more than 400hp) on the stock diff. It's generally considered a couple notches below that of the Ford 8.8 which can handle damn near 1000hp, but it can handle hundreds more HP than stock.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/29/06 11:49 PM
Originally posted by sigma:
Quote:

Also I have heard the diff in the GTO which is probaly the same in the Holden were barely rated to handle the 400hp. So maybe underated it this time.

Um, the GTO differential is anything but weak. Everything around it -- driveshaft, stubs, axles -- is weak, but the differential is very strong. There's guys running 10s (just a tad bit more than 400hp) on the stock diff. It's generally considered a couple notches below that of the Ford 8.8 which can handle damn near 1000hp, but it can handle hundreds more HP than stock.

I've heard also that the diff. is pretty stout, the clutch is another matter though. Anyway, anyone have the 1/4 mile, 0-60, etc for the Holden?

...and I wish Pontiac would just kill the new front end, the Holden's looks hot.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/30/06 12:51 PM
The bar across the front grill needs to go on that Lumin-ized version of the Commodore - cos it makes it look too much like a Lumina - if that makes sense. IMO the current Lumina is one FUGLY car. Why mkae is successor as ugly?
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/30/06 02:16 PM
IMO the current Lumina is one FUGLY car. Why mkae is successor as ugly?

Are you referring to the 95'-00' Lumina or the holden based?
Posted By: aAandHt Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/30/06 02:21 PM

Doesn't the LS2 in the GTO have a Y pipe?
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/31/06 01:43 AM
They are not using the 6.0 Votec block. That is an iron block LSx which is commonly used for 408 stroker motors. The Holden uses the aluminum L76 which a mumble-jumble of L92 and LS2 parts. Basically, it just has that horsepower because they detuned it and clogged it up.
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/31/06 02:05 AM
Not bad, Ford better step up a few notches if they make these in the U.S.
Ford needs to bring this to the U.S. I'd probably trade my Mystique in for one of them.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/31/06 03:50 AM
I really like that, but it does bear a striking resemblance to the current Sable.

Feel free to hold your breath waiting on it. Anyone voluteer to catch him when he passes out?
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/31/06 03:57 AM
GM will find myriad ways in their infinite lack of wisdom to screw up the execution of this product. I haven't seen an automaker come up with more ingenious ways to ruin cars than GM. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is their forte.

If the Falcon looked even halfway decent I would welcome it here.
Posted By: docjames Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/31/06 06:41 AM
O-60mph in about 5.4secs.
Havent got a 1/4 time though....

Oh, and i've driven it. needless to say, it was awesome.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 08/31/06 11:49 AM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
....it does bear a striking resemblance to the current Sable.

Yes it does! Where it the puke graemlin!
Posted By: elraido Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 09/01/06 05:00 AM
Same old bland pontiac. I have vehicle that produces 355 lb/ft of tourqe, 7.5 liter, rear wheel drive. Most people would be jumping all over it wanting to drive it by hearing those stats. Then they hear it is a F250, doesn't sound like it is as much fun to drive all of a sudden huh? Just because it is a 6.0 RWD doesn't mean squat in my book.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Possible RWD V8 Grand Prix - 09/01/06 04:49 PM
They should have brought this version of the Lumina over from the Middle East as the Impala/Impala SS, and the current Impala either be renamed as Lumina or trashed all together.
© CEG Archives