Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Kokopellian Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/27/06 08:19 PM
This is sad. What a horrible way to die. Initial speculation is that the cause was human error. I know the odds are great, but I fly a lot, and this happening to me comes to mind a lot lately.
May they rest in peace.....
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/27/06 08:31 PM
yea, I seen that on CNN. Said he took off from the wrong runway (which is significant because runways aren't all the same length). Sucks what happened, but careless people not paying attention to details caused this wreck. I feel bad for those people, thats a terrible way to go.
Posted By: TGO Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/27/06 08:36 PM
so is the one survivor unbreakable??

sorry, i had to.
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/27/06 08:42 PM
Yea, it sounds like pilot error. He turned on the general aviation runway (3,500ft) instead of the commercial runway (7,000ft). A jet that size needs at least 5,000ft.
Posted By: rouar Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/27/06 10:44 PM
Rumor now has it that the runway lights were on when they weren't supposed to be. Lots of fingerpointing right now ... it's sad to see such a tragedy happen due to something based on human error.
Posted By: TheRock249 Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/27/06 11:54 PM
im only about 10 miles away from this today. The local news has had continuing coverage all day long.

This airport is a very small airport, compared to others nearby.

The runways were just under construction in the past couple weeks, so some people are speculating that the new pavement may not have had all of the lanes and such painted yet.

The plane mistakenly took the shorter runway, which is about 3,500 feet long, and the particular jet needed at least 5,000 feet when fully loaded.

A very somber day in lexington...

One newlywed couple was just married last night; the news showed the tents and chairs were still set up this morning. They were leaving out of town this morning for their honeymoon.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/27/06 11:55 PM
I'd say it's human error by both the tower and the pilot.

The lights are controlled by the tower, however, if both runways are active, then they would have both on.

The tower also tells the pilot where to go. The tower could have told the pilot the wrong runway on accident, or the pilot misheard the tower and proceeded on the wrong runway. This should have been picked up by the tower, who are supposed to be watching the airfeild...
Posted By: chemguru_dup1 Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/28/06 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
I'd say it's human error by both the tower and the pilot.

The tower also tells the pilot where to go. The tower could have told the pilot the wrong runway on accident, or the pilot misheard the tower and proceeded on the wrong runway. This should have been picked up by the tower, who are supposed to be watching the airfield...

If it were the latter (the pilot misheard the tower's taxi instructions) the controller should've been tipped off IMMEDIATELY as the pilot MUST read back ALL ground control instructions.

Every pilot has access to EVERY FAA controlled airport's diagrams (e.g. NACO LEX diagram ). There's no reason for a commercial pilot not to know about the airport that he's flying through.

Regardless... the blame lies with both the pilots and ground control.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/28/06 01:22 AM
It's called "pilot in command" for a reason. Before the speculation gets too far, remember that the pic ALWAYS has final responsibility for his aircraft.

Jim T.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/28/06 01:51 AM
Your aeronautical knowledge is greater than I expected. or are some of you flyboys and not telling me?

But it's quite easy to speculate on the accident.

Complacency is a big issue with pilots. Once you "feel like you have it good", that's when you'll buy the farm.

Well said, Jim. We learned about that in our Aviation Safety class at Embry-Riddle.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/28/06 03:02 AM
truely sad
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/28/06 11:28 AM
There is a KC connection to this tradgedy. A teenaged girl and her horse trainer were on the plane. But her Mother was on a later flight. I was trying to find the news story bu couldn't. I will look again later.
Posted By: TheRock249 Re: Delta plane crash. 49 of 50 DOA. - 08/28/06 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Eric L:
There is a KC connection to this tradgedy. A teenaged girl and her horse trainer were on the plane. But her Mother was on a later flight. I was trying to find the news story bu couldn't. I will look again later.

The mother was supposed to be on the same flight, but was removed due to overbooking. That must be horrible...final destination type stuff.
© CEG Archives