Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Cruise inspires pony car rumble

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

ROYAL OAK -- Woodward wasn't big enough Tuesday morning for two legendary Detroit muscle cars that will soon roar back into showrooms.

The Woodward Dream Cruise provided the backdrop for the first salvo in a much-anticipated showdown between the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger.

To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in front of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that inspired it.

Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969 classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.

Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.

He called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.

Chevy spokesman Terry Rhadigan denied a turf war. General Motors Corp. has been showcasing the Camaros for days on Woodward as part of the Dream Cruise and they were en route to two GM events Tuesday, he said.

"We'll definitely do battle with them in the showroom in a couple of years, but right now this was more or less an opportunity to display the iconic brand," he said.

Both Dodge and Chevrolet have promised to build production versions of vehicles in the next couple years.

The muscle car tussle caught the attention of Jalopnik.com, a popular auto Web site, which likened it to a Sharks-versus-Jets feud.

"Chevy made a point of letting the Chrysler folks know that they were stepping on the General's turf almost goading the Chrysler Group into a 'West Side Story'-like knife fight," the Web site said.

"It slowly passed in the right lane," Ray Wert, Detroit associate editor for Jalopnik.com, told The Detroit News. "It was quite possibly the greatest coincidence in the history of automobiles."

The modern-day muscle car battle reignited when Ford Motor Co. gave its 2005 Mustang a throwback design.

Dodge and Chevy entering the fray is a good for Detroit and the auto industry, Wert said.

"This is what the enthusiasts want," Wert said. "This gets their blood running. The baby boomers all want to push their pony car as being the best pony car among them all."

Vines agreed, but couldn't help taking one more swipe at his rival.

"It's healthy for Detroit and it's healthy for the industry," Vines said. "Despite the lameness of the GM stunt, it gets people talking."

Would have been even better if the Camaro was off the trailer. Pull up, rev a few times, and do a massive burnout right there. Thats what I would have done!

If they did that on purpose, go GM.
that was awesome.

here's more pics

and a few more
Hahahaha. I thought I heard something about that. Awesome.
Just for that, I like GM A bit more now fow now
Response from "your boy": Yo! Notice the two Challengers, including the concept-to-be- production-in-08, drove into our event while the two Camaros had to be towed. And Mr. Rhadigan, I'll get you buddy!
-Jason Vines

Oh boy, we're totally taking bets for a concept car versus concept car drag race down Woodward Avenue at high noon this Saturday at the Dream Cruise. But since they're both concepts, stop light to stop light won't quite work, so we guess it'll be the first one to 50mph, or whichever motor falls first from the engine bay of the pony.
Royal Oak FTMFW!!!!!

I saw both of those cars over the weekend. Good times.
are either of those concepts road worthy yet? GM probably didn't drive the Camaro because it can't be driven yet.
there too good to be driven right now. Do you think they want to ruin there babies? No. I respec them for what they are doing, but i have to hand it to Ford for coming up with the idea. Ford should have known that this would happen if it took off. I like how it was a mad scramble to come out with the next concept muscle car and they were released at about the same time. Ford just released that they are going to redesign the Mustang again for 2008. It would have been better if a mustang was there too. All three in the same place would ahve been great. And not one of the V6's i mean a V8.
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!
Originally posted by baco99:
are either of those concepts road worthy yet? GM probably didn't drive the Camaro because it can't be driven yet.

The Challenger is supposed to be fairly roadworthy, but not the Camaro.
I like to think I have a twin-turbo Hemi Challenger in my future.

...that's after the 500HP big-turbo MazdaSpeed6.

500HP 2.3L (274HP stock)

????HP 6.4L (505HP stock)

BP
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
Originally posted by baco99:

The Challenger is supposed to be fairly roadworthy, but not the Camaro.

Rick Wagoner drove it himself down Woodward. Not to mention its been on several press drives at there various proving grounds. The car was built at GM's performance division(or at least most of it was), not your typical Concept/show car place. Classic move, finaly a little balls. I love it. Maybe Hotrod mag can inspire a little concept car heads up racing . Heck pull out the old mustang concept.
I guess I am in the minority here where I think the maneuver was classless, juvenile, and tacky.
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
I guess I am in the minority here where I think the maneuver was classless, juvenile, and tacky.

i'm right there with you. very NASCAR-like.

Could have just been consequence too.
Now that's my style, GM!!! Yeah, baby!!!
Originally posted by todras:

Coincidence?

Anyway, seems like good fun to me. Let the muscle car wars start again! Competition is fun
LMAO! WTF? I wasn't drinking. Honestly.
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

Anyway, seems like good fun to me. Let the muscle car wars start again! Competition is fun

I agree, about time they had some laughs in the auto industry. That is instead of the laughs due to how much catching up the domestics have to do!
tha Maro does run. here's a video of Jay Leno taking it a local cruise spot here in Burbank.
GM and Chrysler both suck...Ford kicked their arses by doing it first with the Mustang re-style and they are both trying to push into the market they (at least GM with the camaro) failed in previously. I would maybe buy the Challenger, because it is one of my favorite muscle cars, but the Camaro was and still is an ugly duckling

Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.
Originally posted by Frosty:
but the Camaro was and still is an ugly duckling

>

Woodward is a mad house. There are people every where and some driving like idiots and Aholes...I wouldn't drive a concept car down woodward during the cruise.
This reminds me of Crysler's ad's a few years ago with Lee Iacoca syaing Lead, Follow or get out of the way. Well, I guess Ford led with the 05 'stang and Chevy and Dodge are fighting for the follow position. Question is, who is going to have to get out of the way?
Originally posted by Tourgasm:

Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

Particularly when you mess up the word with a real word.

coincidence or something close would have been good....
GM and Chrysler both suck...Ford kicked their arses by doing it first with the Mustang re-style and they are both trying to push into the market they (at least GM with the camaro) failed in previously. I would maybe buy the Challenger, because it is one of my favorite muscle cars, but the Camaro was and still is an ugly duckling

WTF?

Oh yeah...No Retro Cues whatsoever....

And might I mention neither GM nor Chrysler "failed" at their markets. Quite the opposite actually. The markets failed GM and Dodge. Their cars were meant for the high-performance market, which, I might add, typically disappears after an oil crisis or two.

Mustang isn't GOD. If I recall correctly, Mustang died long before Camaro did, circa 1974. Prove me wrong, I dare you.

Oh SNAP!
There's a major important difference: people BOUGHT the Mustang II. It may have been an image failure, but it sold well.
Are you seriously saying the last generation of camaros were retro styled? The hood. Wow. That definitely makes them the first to do a retro style car.
I would consider it more theme and varitions (evolution) than retro.
Originally posted by PeppermintPatty:

>

WTF? ugly duckling are you kidding me???? And whats the dodge charger/magnum/challenger? The mustang used to look good then they went "retro" should have kept it like it was the cobras where sweet.
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

>

WTF? ugly duckling are you kidding me???? And whats the dodge charger/magnum/challenger? The mustang used to look good then they went "retro" should have kept it like it was the cobras where sweet.

I love the picture of the SVT...I happen to think the SVT looks aggressive. Now the Camaro does as well, but I won't hit my head getting into the SVT and i most likely will getting into the Camaro (that roofline looks REALLY low! and i'm 6'2") I am Ford biased, but imo, that Camaro doesn't look as well done in the retro-styling as the Mustang, but that is just my opinion!! BTW...I don't like the look of the Magnum/Charger (not to mention the Charger is a 4-dr ) but imo the Challenger has more cues to the 70's version than the Camaro. I'm not saying Mustang is god...sure the II's looked ugly as hell, but they sold. Did the Mustang ever have to stop production for a few years due to customer fallout...not that i know of and if i'm wrong by all means please correct me. Camaro and Charger and Challenger...yea they did. You can blame the Camaro and Dodge muscle market failure on "oil crises" or whatever, but the Mustang made it through and they did not. Nuff said.
Originally posted by Hydramatic:

Oh SNAP!

hey now - i used to own one of those!!! LOL

yah, ugly - but i had it tuned to run with modern 5.0L (back in 88-89)

when i first got the M-II, it got 6MPG! after i was done with it - it got 18MPG and ran mid 14 quarter mile
Hey I personally love the Mustang II, especially the King Cobra models. However I can't pass up the opportunity to use the Mustang II as ammo against the "real Mustang" lovers out there.

As for the Mustang II selling well, I will agree that yes, the first year was outstanding as far as sales. However If you'd like to see the combined Camaro/Firebird numbers for '74-'78, I think you'd be a little disheartened by the Mustang II's production run. To put it simply, Camaro and Firebird owned the seventies, and sold very strongly throughout its lifespan except for a few rough spots, namely '72-73, '88-91, and finally, late in the fourth generation model. Every car is like this, there are ups and downs, and the longer the lifespan of a car, the more apparant the lapses in greatness are.
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2006/0602_naias_z+2009_chevrolet_camaro_concept+front_corner.jpg > http://www.edmunds.com/media/editorial/letterstotheeditors/april01/01.ford.contour.svt.350.jpg />

I love the picture of the SVT...I happen to think the SVT looks aggressive. Now the Camaro does as well, but I won't hit my head getting into the SVT and i most likely will getting into the Camaro (that roofline looks REALLY low! and i'm 6'2") I am Ford biased, but imo, that Camaro doesn't look as well done in the retro-styling as the Mustang, but that is just my opinion!! BTW...I don't like the look of the Magnum/Charger (not to mention the Charger is a 4-dr ) but imo the Challenger has more cues to the 70's version than the Camaro. I'm not saying Mustang is god...sure the II's looked ugly as hell, but they sold. Did the Mustang ever have to stop production for a few years due to customer fallout...not that i know of and if i'm wrong by all means please correct me. Camaro and Charger and Challenger...yea they did. You can blame the Camaro and Dodge muscle market failure on "oil crises" or whatever, but the Mustang made it through and they did not. Nuff said.

Sorry to disagree Kyle, I like the charger, but that Camaro looks sleek, sexy and men as hell!!!!

I think between the three (four if you include that Contour up there) I think the Camero is the sexiest of all!!!
The charger is a great looker, but I think they should have offered a two door model so it didnt always look so boat-ish.

But only time and performance will tell who will reign supreme.

P.S......Great move G.M., that stunt just put you in the history books and more money in your pockets!!!
Holy insane hotlink Batman!
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:

ah, i see you're making assumptions with little facts behind it... why am i not suprised?

chevrolet had been driving that display up and down woodward the entire week leading up to the dream cruise (which i personally saw as i was out there most of the week). what were they supposed to do? check with all the other manufacturers to make sure they don't happen to drive by during a presentation? give me a break.

the media made a mountain out of a molehill, and it looks like some of you took the bait.
© CEG Archives