Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Now this IS funnay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PORTAGE, Ind. -- An Indiana judge fed up with teenage traffic violators is kicking them in the seat -- the driver's seat.

Porter Superior Judge Julia Jent is sentencing the ticketed teens to the embarrassment of riding the school bus, if they are found guilty in her courtroom.

Jent got the idea after a girl in her court for a moving traffic violation appeared not to take seriously either the offense or the possible fine.

The judge, who has teenage grandchildren, said she knew she had reached the teen when she ordered her to park her car and ride the school bus and the girl started crying outside her courtroom. With that, she figured she found the right punishment.

Teens not complying will be fined and have their licenses suspended.

Jent also warns parents they could be held in contempt of court if they drive their child to school.

Jent said making teenagers ride the bus also makes them take their driving violations seriously.

Jent sent a memo to every law enforcement agency in her jurisdiction, telling them that all moving traffic citations involving drivers age 16 to 18 must be seen by her. She doesn't want their parents to pay a fine or have teens pay the fine and not tell mom and dad.

If the teens violate the order to ride the bus, their driver's license will be suspended, and a fine must be paid. If they follow the order, the matter is dismissed.

Of the dozen or so teens who were given the school-bus orders so far, one was ordered to nine weeks of school-bus riding. Another had total driving restrictions for an entire semester, according to the North West Indiana Times.

"Oh my God, you would have thought I gave her and her mother the death penalty," Jent told the paper.

The punishment is legal. The state statute allows a judge to place any violator on probationary conditions, including license suspensions.

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Old school right there baby!
Glad they didn't have that when I was that age. I got lifts at 15. Thank god I had older friends. F the bus mang!
Originally posted by todras:
Glad they didn't have that when I was that age. I got lifts at 15. Thank god I had older friends. F the bus mang!

Riding the cheese was a respectible form of transportation when where were younger.
I'd make em ride the short bus!
Suspending a license is one thing, but making them ride the school bus (shame train) and not allowing parents to drive them to school is excessively intrusive. Not everyone has a schedule which enables them to ride the bus.

Of course, if my license had been suspended, my dad would have made me ride the bus, too.
I agree that taking away a teenager's license is a great idea but to make them ride the bus is too much only because I think that taking the bus might not be practical for everyone.
Posted By: TBoomer Re: 16-18 Get a ticket, ride the yellow bus! - 08/17/06 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Batmobile:
I agree that taking away a teenager's license is a great idea but to make them ride the bus is too much only because I think that taking the bus might not be practical for everyone.

And I believe that is the point. The students will have to re-arrange their lives if they want a proper education...thus will think twice about driving like morons next time.
I like this decision.
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
I'd make em ride the short bus!

hells yeah!
Originally posted by TBoomer:

And I believe that is the point. The students will have to re-arrange their lives if they want a proper education...thus will think twice about driving like morons next time.
I like this decision.

+1
Posted By: Rishodi Re: 16-18 Get a ticket, ride the yellow bus! - 08/17/06 08:25 AM
I don't get how riding the bus is a punishment.

I rode the bus all through high school, because even after I was old enough to get my license, I didn't have a car. And even if I did, for my senior year I went to a high school that was ~15 miles away. A round trip every day would have been more than a gallon of gas, every day. Screw that, I would have ridden the school bus anyway. Just like now, I generally leave my car parked at home and ride the town bus to get to campus.
Wouldn't have worked where I lived in HS. I was within "walking distance" so no bus picked us up even if we wanted to.
Posted By: Pen_Two Re: 16-18 Get a ticket, ride the yellow bus! - 08/17/06 11:32 AM
I recieved a speeding ticket about 4 years ago (79 days after I got my actual license). I told my mother, paid the fine, and my mother took my license away from me for 7 months. Now, I don't drive like a moron because I see how much that little piece of plastic means in life. So I say good for the judge and trying to make them realize what kind of a privilege it is to operate a motor vehicle.
Originally posted by Pete D:
Wouldn't have worked where I lived in HS. I was within "walking distance" so no bus picked us up even if we wanted to.

I went to a private school which drew students from a large region. School bus service was not available for a large number of the students.
Posted By: alibies Re: 16-18 Get a ticket, ride the yellow bus! - 08/17/06 02:49 PM
The bus drivers in my town don't set any examples for the students that ride the bus. There is a stop sign on school property that the school set up that caused tons of tickets for running a stop sign. Many times I've been nearly ran over by a school bus because they ran that stop sign. I went as far as talking to the principle he just told me that he had nothing to say and asked me to leave.

This sounds like a decent punishment, but what if a bus wont come to your area? no school? wooo!

For the judge to limit the parents ability to drive their own kid to school is just a little too far I'd say.

Posted By: BlackE1 Re: 16-18 Get a ticket, ride the yellow bus! - 08/17/06 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
Suspending a license is one thing, but making them ride the school bus (shame train) and not allowing parents to drive them to school is excessively intrusive.

Remember the school bus punishment is only if the judge feels that is the proper punishment for you. meaning your not sorry for what you did and the only way to learn from your wrong doing is a punishment that will really make you think about the privilege you had and abused.
Originally posted by Doppelg�¤nger:

Riding the cheese was a respectible form of transportation when where were younger.

when you were what??? 5?
Wonder what happens when the kid is in walking distance...
Originally posted by TaurusKev:
Wonder what happens when the kid is in walking distance...

um, they just walk to school?
Originally posted by JeSiZZle:
Originally posted by Doppelg�¤nger:

when you were what??? 5?

Always in my day. Not a shame to ride the bus. WTF is wrong with kids these days? You think it's some sort of right? Think again!

I rode the bus until I got a job that required me to have transportation at all times - newspaper photographer. I had to share the car with 2 other siblings otherwise...

to them!!
Posted By: svt4stv Re: 16-18 Get a ticket, ride the yellow bus! - 08/17/06 09:16 PM
I got lifts at 15. Thank god I had older friends.

45 year old men are not your friends, even if you need a ride home

no wonder you get sick at the sight/smell/taste of mayo
Originally posted by Horse:
Originally posted by TBoomer:

I like this decision.

+1

+2 me likey

Oh, and these days, kids who have licenses don't wanna be caught riding the bus, it's just not cool, that's why it's such a good punishment.
Originally posted by svtizzle4stizzle:

no wonder you get sick at the sight/smell/taste of mayo

Mayo has nothing in common except it also includes gametes.

I have an issue where judges can impose whatever penalty they want. That is far too much discretionary power to trust a member of government with.
Posted By: TGO Re: 16-18 Get a ticket, ride the yellow bus! - 08/18/06 02:26 AM
they've been doing that here forever. if you get a moving violation in your probation period (used to be the first 6 months after getting your license, now it's until you turn 18), they revoke your license for a year...or six months, or something like that. andi think you have to go through the process of getting your license again.
Originally posted by TGO:
they've been doing that here forever. if you get a moving violation in your probation period (used to be the first 6 months after getting your license, now it's until you turn 18), they revoke your license for a year...or six months, or something like that. andi think you have to go through the process of getting your license again.

Zactly. This way, the kids learn something about responsibility, authority, and acceptable behavior. When the punishment is done, the matter is dismissed as stated in the story. No points, no suspension, nuttin'. Sweet deal if you ask me.

Revoking a license is one thing but forcing them to ride the bus seems like it is pushing it. They can't even get rides to school, they are forced to ride a bus.
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:
Revoking a license is one thing but forcing them to ride the bus seems like it is pushing it. They can't even get rides to school, they are forced to ride a bus.

That's why it's called punishment. You are put into a situation that you do not want. The whole point is to get the attention of the young drivers & have them learn from the ordeal.

It's not really punishment if you're OK with the penalty now is it?
How can you force someone to ride a bus? That is my point.
© CEG Archives