Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: loggerbomb rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 04:23 AM
i was told at work that the new dodge calibers are being built with engines that were made over 2 years ago. (left over from some other vehicle) Anyone know if this is true? I wonder if anything could go wrong with using an engine that sat for that long, or would it matter if it was never fired up?
Posted By: RyeLou Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 04:36 AM
no
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 04:42 AM
Originally posted by RyeLou:
no

No, no one knows? No, it's not true? No, nothing could go wrong? Or no, it wouldn't matter if it was never fired up?

Which one?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 04:49 AM
Yes they had thousands of leftovers like always so this time they're gonna reuse them instead of selling them to Iraq. They're actually 25 years old and are carbareuted and like RyeLou said, no, nothing will go wrong with the engines.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 04:59 AM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
i was told at work that the new dodge calibers are being built with engines that were made over 2 years ago. (left over from some other vehicle) Anyone know if this is true? I wonder if anything could go wrong with using an engine that sat for that long, or would it matter if it was never fired up?

so what? the zetec was pretty old when it went into the contour in 95. IIRC the Zetec has been around since early 1992... the First contours were made in late 94 and they had Zetecs... So the engine platform was already 2 years old when it went into the contour.

Even if thats true (which im sure its not)im not bothered at all by a 1.8L I4 that produces 148 horses... Personally I see that as an awesome power/litre ratio... thats roughly 82 horses per litre.

Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 12:39 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
Originally posted by loggerbomb:

so what? the zetec was pretty old when it went into the contour in 95. IIRC the Zetec has been around since early 1992... the First contours were made in late 94 and they had Zetecs... So the engine platform was already 2 years old when it went into the contour.

Even if thats true (which im sure its not)im not bothered at all by a 1.8L I4 that produces 148 horses... Personally I see that as an awesome power/litre ratio... thats roughly 82 horses per litre.

Umm, I think you missed something there. Read the original post again. Logger was talking about engines that were manufactured 2 years ago and never used.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 12:44 PM
Why wouldn't they even if it was true. Is assembly lube going to go bad?
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 12:51 PM
Originally posted by todras:

I thought it was like milk. You only have a couple days before it gets all stinky.
Posted By: Tourige Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 01:59 PM
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:

I thought it was like milk. You only have a couple days before it gets all stinky.

well it is a chrysler.
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

well it is a chrysler.

.....so it's stinky before it goes bad????
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 02:37 PM
I don't think engines sitting around are a problem. Especially with today's modern components and such. I know it's not an engine, but when I had my CSVT I had a BNIB off SVT's warehouse floor tranny installed. I know it had to be sitting for at least 3 years before my car saw it.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 03:10 PM

well it is a chrysler.

Chrysler/mitsu/hyundai: bastardized engines.

If it goes in the hyundai you'll get 10/100k powertrain warranty, chryslers get the 7/70k and mitsu I think still gets the 3/36k

So depending on which brand you buy it in, you may or may not have to be concerned.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/16/06 06:52 PM

well it is a chrysler.

you miss my point though, i asked if it was true or not, i dont really care one way or the other just wanted to know if it was true or not.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 02:08 AM
I thought Chrysler dropped the 7/70 just like Mazda ruined their warranty for 2007.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 02:30 AM
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
I thought Chrysler dropped the 7/70 just like Mazda ruined their warranty for 2007.

What, Mazda isn't going to offer the 4/year 50k anymore?
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 02:46 AM
3/36 bumper to bumper with a 6/60 powertrain.

4/50 bumper to bumper is a lot more valuable to me.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:
3/36 bumper to bumper with a 6/60 powertrain.

4/50 bumper to bumper is a lot more valuable to me.

I know your right about the Mazada, I was unaware of the Chrysler warranty ending.

I would also value the 4/50 BtoB over the 6/60 PT.
Posted By: Beans_dup1 Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 03:40 PM
Not true Im 100%

My dad worked at a place called "global engine" they built the motars for the caliber.. there brand new..
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Beans:
Not true Im 100%

My dad worked at a place called "global engine" they built the motars for the caliber.. there brand new..

'My dad worked at a place called "Global Engine." They built the motors for the Caliber. They're brand new.'

Ach... It just hurts my head to see something like this!
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 05:51 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Not true Im 100%

'My dad worked at a place called "Global Engine." They built the motors for the Caliber. They're brand new.'

What about "Not true Im 100%"?
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: rumour about the caliber - 08/17/06 06:05 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Not true Im 100%

What about "Not true Im 100%"?

He's 100% SOMETHING, so I chose to let that one go!
© CEG Archives