Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Paypal scam email - 08/12/06 01:27 PM
Newest version of the same old thing: phishing
NOTE: DO NOT CLICK THE LINK TO LOGIN. IT IS A FAKE LINK. I added three "1"s to the link so that any waywardly confused CEGers wouldn't get caught as well. If you receive this email, please don't fall for it.

I know that phishing is common, etc, but SO many of the CEG community use paypal for GBs etc, that I couldn't NOT post this.
Below is the email I received. It is a FRAUD.

Originally posted by email from "paypal security team":

Dear valued PayPal member,

It has come to our attention that your PayPal account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension. Please update your records on or before August 12, 2006.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your PayPal records click on the following link:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank You.
PayPal Update Team

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, PayPal will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright 1999-2006 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Notice the "update your records link" is all spelled out, but the ACTUAL url it points to is http://varac.knows.it111/ (without the 1's) What a waste of space on this planet!

Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Paypal scam email - 08/12/06 01:33 PM
yeah, ebay does the same thing saying "your account has been temporarily suspended" and that you need to log in via their link provided. I just go to ebay directly and log in and what do you know, i have no problems at all.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Paypal scam email - 08/12/06 04:16 PM
Don't forget to forward that to PayPal.
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: Paypal scam email - 08/12/06 05:58 PM
As the Phishing dept of paypal told me.....We Know your name. Anything sent without your name is Phishing.
Posted By: Tom Thumb Re: Paypal scam email - 08/12/06 06:49 PM
I get 9 or 10 phishing emails daily from Asia Pacific Network. I would guess that 99 percent of all spam and phishing emails are sent from Asia Pacific Network.

APNIC is a disorderly registry, in that the country domains and the IP-space for which it is responsible is probably the worst-regulated in the world; at any rate, the spam emanating from APNIC IP-space currently dominates by volume not just the world's spam, but the world's email.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Paypal scam email - 08/12/06 10:06 PM
If this is the largest source of all that spam, why not just send it back? As in the Servers just reject email coming from that region.

Or send them a new email called "Fat man" and "Little Boy". Let's give someone a reminder, of what happens when your piss people off.
© CEG Archives