Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Title says it all. Me and my buds were talking about this the other night. Brought back some good memories.. So what were gas prices when you started driving?

For me.. 1995 $0.79 at Phillips 66

I'm sold old it was free!!!!!!!!
$0.42 at the Esso or Shell. Damn I'm old...
I'm not old enough to see any crazy low prices but it was about $1.20 when I started driving.
about $1.50 in 2000

~Andrew
I think they were around $1.25 in '01 when I got the Cougar (93 octane).
I didn't drive much until about college because my b/fs always drove me around in high school. teehee
I vaguely recall prices around $.85 (87 octane).
$.99, every now and then I found a station that had it at $.89. This was in late 1999.
$.99
I used to scrounge up change every morning on my way to school.
$2 in change actually got me something back then.
And that was only 5 years ago
.79 the last I can remember in 1986, possibly less.

My propane after I built my house in 2000 was .79/gal, it is now locked in @ 2.79/gal...400/gal tank, you do the math. My butt hurts.

We were discussing the prices @ the pub the other day, they just raised drink prices due to some tax increases.

regular...2.79/gal

midgrade...2.89/gal

premium...2.99/gal

top shelf...3.50/1 oz.

I offered for all my friends to meet me at the local gas station & I'd buy everyone a gallon of premium...much cheaper than shots

I remember in '99 paying $.76. It sure was nice to be able to fill up my lifted Chevy truck that got a little over 10 mpg for $14!
I seem to remember around $1.20 or so also, then I remmber the first time gas prices went up to about $1.78 or so then it came back to about a $1.10 in CT

I remember seeing $0.96 just outside of Atlanta back in 96
Geez....1988 was a LOOOOOOOONG time ago! Best I can remember was somewhere around 65�¢ to 70�¢ per gallon. I do specifically remember Premium at 99�¢/gallon in '93. (I also remember thinking 'NO WAY will I pay that much for Premium!')
I remember when diesel was selling for $.99 for YEARS.
It was weird to see it go up, and then it was more expensive than premium.
i started driving in 1992.
gas was around $.80
i worked at a mobil station in 1993 and gas was around the same. and the owner was making about $.18/gallon profit!
now he is only making about $.03/gallon profit!
Originally posted by todras:

When I started driving, gas was 22 cents a gallon! Todras must be older than me, and I thought I was the oldest CEG'er out there!
In 1990 I was paying anywhere from $0.87 - $0.99 / gallon. I still remember turning in soda cans for gas money, and that lasting me for a week. :P

E1
I started driving in 1999, and I remember it took about 11 bucks to fill up the Tempo. *sigh* and that would last me like 2 weeks because all I did was go to school and back.

Then, not even three years ago I remember bitching about it taking close to 17 bucks to fill up my SE Contour. Now I *wish* it would only take 17 bucks to fill up the SVT.
1997 - $.79/gal

Under $15 to fill up my 89 Buick Park Avenue. We need to make a graph of gas prices from say..... 1960 - 2006. It'd look something like this:

1960 - $.22/gal
1970 - $.40/gal
1980 - $.60/gal
1990 - $.70/gal
1995 - $.75/gal
2000 - $1.50/gal
2002 - $1.90/gal
2004 - $2.20/gal
2006 - $3.10/gal

Why couldn't it just go up $.10/gal every 10 years like the good old days!

Mark
If I remember around $.50 a gallon in 1981. I used to go to Oxford airport to fill my 427 Malibu with 115 octane purple avgas when needed. It was about $1.50 per gallon then. Damn that stuff ran sweet in that car. Too bad it's not manufactured anymore. Car got five or six mpg.

Jim T.
Originally posted by Beachboy:

When I started driving, gas was 22 cents a gallon! Todras must be older than me, and I thought I was the oldest CEG'er out there!

I was teasing. I'm 31.
gas was around $0.75 when i started driving and had climbed to an "astronomical" $1.15 when i sold the Monte and bought the GL. i was saving like $5 per week, which for a college kid was a lot.

now i am happy to pay $3.25 for Premium.

oddly, i've never bought anything but Premium...

hell if gas was 22 cents a gallon now id be doing donuts and driving like an arsehole ALL the time!

i started driving in 93. gas was about .85 cents iirc. i remember it used to cost like $8 to fill up my sister's tercel. i remember back in the summer of 1995 when the gas prices really spiked my car club was driving to the Colorado river in Parker, AZ and we had to stop in the middle of nowhere to get gas. $1.79 for 87 (thats all they had) and everyone was moaning over the cost. one of my friends drove his gas guzzling 57 chevy out there. said it cost him like $100, back then! cant imagine what it would cost now

OH YA......Well, I'm so old...Gas was still walking on four legs....!!
I got my first car just before I turned 18 in '93, and gas in Illinois (about 60 miles SW of Chicago) fluctuated between $.99 and about $1.20. This remained the case through Spring '99 when it had one last hurrah at a buck, and since then the world has been waking up to the worthlessness of our fiat currency which, combined with more well known crises has driven things to where they are now.

--T.J.
Originally posted by WestCoastAjax:

OH YA......Well, I'm so old...Gas was still walking on four legs....!!

like a 1.30 in 01

1.75 for premium when i got my contour in 03
I don't remember, that would have been 1986. The lowest price I remember was in the recent past (1998 or 1999) in the Atlanta area. $.69 per gallon was unusual but happened a few times. I'm glad too, I used to commute 110 miles a day for 2 years!
I grew up just outside of Chicago and when I started it was about $1.10-1.27 in 2000.
I remember paying $.75/gal back in '93. I remember I gave the attendent $2 for gas, just to get me to work and back. Got me almost 2.5 gallons and I was good to go on my ~40mpg Civic.
Cheapest I ever paid was .79 a gallon. I used to actually be able to afford to drive the cuda every day.
I am so old, gas was still single cell organisms when i started driving.

Just kidding.

I started driving in 89, legally, that is. Gas was around .75 a gal or a little higher.

I recall a couple competing gas stations that drove the price down to around .20 for a few days.

It was too long of a drive to get there. My Cougar would have burned it all up on the trip home.

Something like $1.10 when I first started driving in December 2000. It dipped to $.95 for a few weeks but steadily made its way up and up.

Used to cost me $14 to fill the Contour in 2001. I cringe to think that when now I'm paying $45-50 on my Maxima (which gets similar, if not better, gas mileage).
I started driving in 1975 ( Holy Model T-Ford Batman ). If I remember correctly You could go to the Sunoco station and select 1 of five different grades of gas. The lowest being 86 the highest being Sunoco 260 100 octane. I think the price spread was $.35 a gallon to $.65.
I started to drive in 1971 - gas was 29.9�¢ and 19�¢ when there was a gas war. Phase 2 emissions kicked in later and the lead-free gas was everywhere by 1973. Lead free was 35�¢ then. Before then the only lead free was American (AMOCO) "white gas." which was good for 2 stroke engines.
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
Title says it all. Me and my buds were talking about this the other night. Brought back some good memories.. So what were gas prices when you started driving?

For me.. 1995 $0.79 at Phillips 66

Same exact thing here.....1995 - $.79
do you guys still have full service gas stations where you live?? where someone actually pumps the gas for ya?? the last time i saw this out here was in a very nice area, and that was quite a few years ago....
Just for the hell of it...

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/pol_sci/fac/sahr/gasol.htm

I was teasing. I'm 31.

Yeah I knew you were. Just had to give ya a bad time, man!
Gas was around 1.45 here in 2002
I started driving or riding my Kawasaki 90cc motorcycle when I was too young to drive. I can't even remember how much gas cost back then. 50 cents in gas would go a long ways in 1974.
1995 it was 69cents

aww man the good old days.

let see, I got my licence in early 04' when I turned 16. It was... 1.60 a gallon? Thats sad... in two years its shot from that to 3.03 a gallon...still only costs me $25 to fill up though
in 1995 it was like $.88 or so. filled up the tank of the 88 labaron in under $10, and two bottles of mello yello for $1 more. I hate inflation.
Gas was just a hair over $1 when I started driving. I can recall one gas station in town having 99 cent gas a few months after I started driving.
I started driving in the mid-80's , and IIRC gas was about 60-70�¢/gal range . Those were the gool-ole days ...
I remember regular unleaded being less than $1

When I first bought my SVT, 91 octane was $1.55. Oh the good old days........
About .35 IIRC in 1966
$1.09 when i started drivin...
this is just such a depressing topic haha.. I remember being a child getting gas with my mom for like, 68 cents... Now, being 20... it's horrible... lets not talk about it haha

poor college students = no gas money
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
1997 - $.79/gal

Under $15 to fill up my 89 Buick Park Avenue.

Same here. I think is was about $12 to fill up my 88' Celebirty. I remember when paying $5 for gas wasn't embarassing!
© CEG Archives