Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/26/06 11:21 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a well kept 2005 Giant TCR limited with full Dura Ace Gruppo, 53x39 175mm cranks, 11x23 cassette, brand new ITM Visia 44cm bars and brand new 120mm stem. (these have never been used...not even once! Easton EC70 carbon seat post, Selle Italia Signo saddle (brand new again!) Ksyrium SL wheels 700c, brand new Continental tires.

Oh yeah, all this for $1500.

What would you do?
Posted By: TGO Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/26/06 11:41 PM
it comes with a cassette player? bah...it should atleast have a cd player!

idk man...$1500 for a BICYCLE seems a bit much, unless you really do some crazy @$$ cycling.

I'd much rather pay some bills or buy something for the car.
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/26/06 11:49 PM
I'd do it.

I actually am going to drop around 1k on a road bike soon... not sure what yet, but 25+ miles a day on a mountain bike with commuter slicks isn't the most fun.
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 12:09 AM
Sounds like a decent enough deal. I'd hit it.
Posted By: Tom Thumb Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 12:57 AM
I would buy a Wal-Mart or K Mart bike and put the rest of the money in the bank.
Posted By: fazzman2000_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 01:24 AM
Do it thats a great price. If not ill take it
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 02:27 AM
Buy it. STAT!!!!

Wait...why so cheap? That's a $4,000+ bike.

P.S. I ride a Giant TCR, and both of my brothers ride Giant TCR carbons. We love 'em! (I'll most likely be upgrading to carbon as soon as I get get outta grad school).

Edit: How tall are you? That looks like a large frame and it has 175mm cranks. Make sure it fits you before buying.
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 02:48 AM
I am about 5'11" with a 31in inseam. Should I fit?
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 02:51 AM
Originally posted by TGO:

That would buy me my wheels, tires, AND suspension!
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 02:57 AM
Originally posted by The Spelling Nazi:

That would buy me my wheels, tires, AND suspension!

Well, some people consider other things more important than upgraded car parts. No harm in that, just different priorities.
Posted By: TGO Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Derk-xB:

Wait...why so cheap? That's a $4,000+ bike.

I can understand $1000 for a bike - but 4k is simply ridiculous. Unless you're trying to become lance armstrong or something.
Posted By: ilive4sports Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 03:12 AM
I would definately buy that if i were you. I myself dont do a whole lot of cycling, but my father does and my brother is really in to it and he is actually trying to become the next Lance Armstrong(hes a very good cyclist, my brother that is). He just got a brand new Trek Madone for free cause his 5900 had cracks in the frame so with the lifetime warranty they actually upgraded the bike. Its the one with the aero package and all. For $1500 that is a steal. My dad has the carbon version of it and he loves it. If your really into cycling i would get it. Oh and about the $4k for a bike being a lot, my brother's new bike is over $5000. Cycling is a very expensive sport.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 03:23 AM
Originally posted by ilive4sports:
Oh and about the $4k for a bike being a lot, my brother's new bike is over $5000. Cycling is a very expensive sport.

Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 03:26 AM
I am a little worried about the crank size. I have ridden this bike in a large already, but not the 175mm crank. Not too sure the length of the one I rode, stock, whatever that is. Hopefully its not too big of a difference. Hopefully Derk can offer some advice.

I am just now getting into the sport. I love mountain biking, not affraid of dropping some coin there. I've ridden "some" road and just looking to get my own ride instead of borrowing. Hell, its time to make a splash. A rather big one at that.

Side note: I just cracked my NRS1 this past evening on an XC trail, not my idea of a fun walk/run back.
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 04:25 AM
Sad news, I think someone was trying to school me. This doesn't seem like a legit deal anymore after doing some research.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 07:06 AM
Get a Huffy... I have a Huffy... I think we paid no more than $100 for it brand new. It did swell on the bike paths the other day... Matter of fact, I havn't rode it in about 3 years since I've had a car... And put air in the tires, it's like a brand new bike. All gears shifted fine, and rode smoothly. Paying extra for a bike is pointless IMO... But then again... They both do the same to me, but that's me
Posted By: spdsk8r Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 09:46 AM
I was once told by a tri-athelete (with a $7000 bike) that you should take the amount of miles you ride in a year, convert to dollars and spend around that amount for a bike.
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 11:06 AM
Originally posted by TaurusKev:
Get a Huffy... I have a Huffy... I think we paid no more than $100 for it brand new. It did swell on the bike paths the other day... Matter of fact, I havn't rode it in about 3 years since I've had a car... And put air in the tires, it's like a brand new bike. All gears shifted fine, and rode smoothly. Paying extra for a bike is pointless IMO... But then again... They both do the same to me, but that's me

Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 12:26 PM
$1200 to 1500 would be my limit on a good road bike and that is a good road bike. Heck I have $1000 easily into my mt. bike w/ cost of bike and a few extras. It is no where the caliber of that bike. I should post a pic of my Peugeot.
Posted By: CeeBee94Z Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/27/06 12:58 PM
That is a pretty nice bike, sucks that the deal wasn't legit. Usually if its too good to be true its not really true though.

I just recently bought a Haro V2 Mountain bike and although that is only $350 or so, you can easily tell the difference between that and a Huffy. If I had the money I would have got something nicer and lighter, but I have to live within my means.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/28/06 06:01 AM
Originally posted by g r y m e s:
I am a little worried about the crank size. I have ridden this bike in a large already, but not the 175mm crank. Not too sure the length of the one I rode, stock, whatever that is. Hopefully its not too big of a difference. Hopefully Derk can offer some advice.

172.5mm is the "standard" crank. Not a huge difference, but to some it's uncomfortable. I think it's appropriate for a large frame. FWIW, I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I ride the Giant Medium frame. I have a tall seatpost and 110mm (IIRC) stem. My guess is that you'd fit better on a medium frame from Giant, but you could still fit on a Large frame w/ a shorter stem (90-100mm). Do you know the size of the frame?

Originally posted by g r y m e s:
Sad news, I think someone was trying to school me. This doesn't seem like a legit deal anymore after doing some research.

Dang... I just saw this after writing that last part.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/28/06 03:43 PM

but 4k is simply ridiculous.

I wont argue with you there. Bikes have become really expensive. But, I'm starting to look for a new bike and I'm planning on spending a good 3K or so (I'll probably build it up myself).

To a large degree, the $$ spent on saving 50g off your bike is pointless. The average rider (and probably most of the elite riders) wont notice the difference.
Posted By: blake_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/28/06 06:17 PM
i have a giant TCR1 road bike (ultegra components, carbon seatpost and fork but aluminum frame) and have been very pleased w/ it....I think it listed for something like $1800 new but i got it at a year-end closeout sale for a little under $1200. still a ton of money for what has ended up not being ridden very often (mtn biking is my preference), but a great bike for the $$ IMHO.

sounds like a moot point if the deal isn't legit, but...oh well.

to those finding it shocking that anyone would spend that much $$ on a bike....eh, everyone has their priorities. to anyone who rides regularly, a $100 huffy and a $1k (or greater) mtn bike or road bike are NOT going to the job equally well unless your definition of "riding" is contained within the neighborhood streets or something. weight, build quality, component durability, and frame geometry all have a big impact and all cost money to "do" properly....so to a certain extent you do get what you pay for. i could never personally justify $5k for a bike, but then i'm at best a recreational weekend rider and that's about it.

my .02....

Posted By: RoadiJeff_dup1 Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/30/06 07:26 AM
Sorry to hear the deal wasn't real - that's a great price. I would have said to do something about the seat height to bar height difference or your neck will suffer big time after you've been riding a few hours.

I do a lot of long distance riding, an occasional 24 hour race, 1200km (750 miles) timed events, etc. For your height and inseam you'd probably want to go with 170 or 172.5mm cranks for spinning purposes.

For the lowdown on bikes and a great collection of cycling enthusiasts who don't think $4k or more is too much to spend for something without a motor drop by the Bicycling magazine forums and sign up.

Bicycling Magazine Forums
Posted By: scainerrt Re: Cyclists, I need your help! - 07/31/06 03:59 PM
well i have spent $7500 3 cannondales(2006 rush 1000,1998 super v 700,1997 f400) and that doesn't even count all of the tools and supplies i have. i will be looking at getting a road bike next year and the price is $1500-$2000 for a cannondale r1000. my wife thinks i am crazy as well as a lot of other people but i ride 3-4 times a week all year long. hope you find a bike soon!
© CEG Archives