Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:05 PM
Any runners out there? I am looking to get my overweight, beerguted self in shape. Does anyone have any recomendation as to what shoes I should get? I am not looking to do marathons or anything like that so I don't need any olympic stuff, just something for a couple of miles at a time. Is anything good in the $60 price range? I have poked around online a little but haven't made up my mind. Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:15 PM
Runner's World Shoe finder
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:18 PM
I have personally always done well with New Balance.
You can get them at Kohls for around $40-60 depending on when you hit the sales and which ones you go with.
Posted By: ohsigmachi_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:27 PM
New Balance is a good shoe, but I have always used Asics (I do run marathons). The GEL series always has a couple of $50-70 entries. What you really need to spend money on is insoles, get a really good pair(they will cost almost as much as the shoes) and they will last years. If you run 2 miles a day and your heavy(over 200lbs) don't keep your shoes more than 6-8 months(unless you really hate your knees). Then just move your insoles from the old shoes to the new.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:28 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Runner's World Shoe finder

A bloody error keeps "occuring." Damned site! Thanks though, I will try that later, hopefully it will be working after lunch.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:33 PM
It worked for me once and then keeps coming up blank. POS. There are other links though for show reviews.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ohsigmachi:
New Balance is a good shoe, but I have always used Asics (I do run marathons). The GEL series always has a couple of $50-70 entries. What you really need to spend money on is insoles, get a really good pair(they will cost almost as much as the shoes) and they will last years. If you run 2 miles a day and your heavy(over 200lbs) don't keep your shoes more than 6-8 months(unless you really hate your knees). Then just move your insoles from the old shoes to the new.

I should be able to get away with just a pair of shoes for now though. Getting insoles blows it out of my price range right now. I will look into the Asics as well as New Balance.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:34 PM
Originally posted by todras:
It worked for me once and then keeps coming up blank. POS. There are other links though for show reviews.

Yeah, I will do some more searching. Thanks.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:43 PM
Originally posted by effblooC2:
You can get them at Kohls for around $40-60 depending on when you hit the sales and which ones you go with.

New Balance FTW!! I picked up my last pair at Dick's Sporting Goods for I think $29 on clearance. I've had a few pairs of NB's and they've always been lighter, and more comfortable than my Nike's & Adidas running shoes.

Mark
Posted By: striker2 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:50 PM
i personally cant wear any running shoes other than adidas. everything else is just too uncomfortable
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

New Balance FTW!! I picked up my last pair at Dick's Sporting Goods for I think $29 on clearance. I've had a few pairs of NB's and they've always been lighter, and more comfortable than my Nike's & Adidas running shoes.

Mark

agreed! i don't run, but if i did i would get some new balance. i wear their tennis shoes/sneakers daily and they ROCK!

~Andrew
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 04:37 PM
Another vote for Asics Gel.

I'm around 200 lbs, and I used to always have knee issues (PFM). I've learned not to skimp on shoes. I asked for advice from my running friends a while back and they pointed me to shoe finder. You, like me, will want something with a lot of shock protection. You'll care about this more than things like the shoe's weight.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 04:43 PM
saucony's are the best for running, and Nike Shox
Posted By: B.Brattina Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 04:47 PM

new balance all the way

and they have some decent pairs at kohls-- i just bought probably my tenth pair of new balances not too long ago at running fit for 54.99-- the nice gray 574's
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 04:51 PM
The one and only way you're going to find a good shoe that matches up to what you need is to go into your local running shoe store. We have Runner's Roost around here, I'm not sure what there is in other states. They will talk with you about what distance/style/purpose you want out of your shoe, then analyze your stride, your foot position, your weight(which makes a HUGE difference when selecting a shoe) and other factors. THEN they will find a few that fit your needs, let you try them all on then decide what shoe is right for you. If you're serious about running and getting in shape, you should be able to pick up some good shoes anywhere from 70-120, but these are essentially the only "workout" tools you'll need for the next 6-8 months, so do yourself a favor and get the right ones so that you're not hurting yourself or holding yourself back. My .02 cents, and I do ALOT of running. I'm no track sprinter, but for my type of needs, it's a bit of speed and a whole lot of endurance.

To summarize, get to a store that specifies in running shoes/athletic gear and get someone who knows their ish. Then pick a shoe on what feels right. Each brand has different characteristics so a brand that someone recommends might feel good for your wide feet, but you might try on a diff. brand that feels perfect. Case in point, my wide feet feel a WHOLE lot better in a Brooks than they ever did in NB, which I found out a long time after I was a huge NB fan. Now I love my Brooks.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

agreed! i don't run, but if i did i would get some new balance. i wear their tennis shoes/sneakers daily and they ROCK!

~Andrew

I third that (can I do that?)...

I suggest picking up the lightest shoes that offer the support you need.

I've seen this display that shows what kind of shoes you need if you have a flat arch, normal arch, or a high arch.

Then there's this chart I just came across:

Even shows you how to lace your shoes for a better fit.

And when you do pick a pair of shoes, they have a shoe care list to follow:

1) Use your shoes only for their intended purpose. We make a full line of shoes for running, aerobics, basketball, tennis, hiking, and walking.

2) Clean your shoes with mild detergents and cool water. We don't recommend putting your shoes in the washing machine.

3) Dry your shoes by removing their inserts and allowing them to air dry. Packing them with crumpled newspaper will help them retain their shape.

4) A suede brush will help keep the outside surfaces of your shoes clean.

5) Keep your shoes away from extreme heat, such as radiators and dryers.
Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 05:15 PM
I also suggest New Balance. My last 2 pair have been NB and they have been great! I have heard good things about Asics as well, but have not dared to stray from what as worked for me.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cruises8:
I also suggest New Balance. My last 2 pair have been NB and they have been great! I have heard good things about Asics as well, but have not dared to stray from what as worked for me.

btw, this guy has lost some weight over the years and is lookin hawt!

we've been wondering what his secret was.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 05:40 PM

Heh, thats good to know.
Posted By: baco99 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 07:39 PM
i will only use Brooks running from now on. i switched during marathon training and i am glad i did. extremely comfortable and well built. my Brooks shoes have about 350 miles on them since December, including 2 half-marathons and the Boston Marathon. i'm due for a new pair, and these are highly recommended.

i would also recommend going to a shop that video tapes your stride to determine if you need different sole compounds. sounds like overkill at first, but it makes a world of difference and makes running easier.

Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 07:43 PM
I'm not looking to be competitive or anything, I just want to get outside to shed a few pounds. I really don't have a lot of money since I am dumping it all into the SVT.
Posted By: baco99 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 07:59 PM
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:
I'm not looking to be competitive or anything, I just want to get outside to shed a few pounds. I really don't have a lot of money since I am dumping it all into the SVT.

good equipment will make even the occassional run feel better. you're more apt to stay with the sport. just my 2 cents.

i have used NB, Nike, Adidas, Asics, and Saucony in the past and Brooks beats them all, IMO.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 07:59 PM
Some brands I've tried since running track and cross country in hs:
Adidas - eh
Asics - currently Gel Nimbus VII, love em - see below
Brooks - solid
Mizuno - nice
New Balance - great support
Nike - haven't found a pair I liked
Saucony - love em

For me in the new models, I have to spend in the $90-$110 range to get a really good shoe. I can't find a shoe for less that provides the support I need with my ankle and knee problems.

Tip:
- Go try on shoes
- Note the size for that brand (different brands, different sizes)
- Search online for old models

I bought my Asics Gel Nimbus VII - usually ~$120 - for $70 using a $20 coupon I found online and a store that does price matching. I saw it on sale at Sports Authority a couple weeks ago for $80. One of the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned.

Try on everything and buy what's comfortable.

HTH
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 08:03 PM
Head to a Sports Authority store & try on a bunch of shoes. For my brother, the New Balance shoes were the most comfortable & supportive he's ever worn. For me they were just OK. You can collect opinions & experiences as a general guide, but make the final decision on your own two feet.

SA generally has a pretty good selection of the better run/walk/court/cross-trainer shoes.

Posted By: m!key Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 08:08 PM
best training shoe ever
i have long thin feet, these were the best training shoes i have put on. just above 10oz. is a good weight.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 08:10 PM
I like the nike Free :0
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 08:11 PM
Originally posted by m!key:
best training shoe ever
i have long thin feet, these were the best training shoes i have put on. just above 10oz. is a good weight.

My grandpa agrees.
Posted By: TGO Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 11:37 PM
Originally posted by ohsigmachi:
New Balance is a good shoe, but I have always used Asics (I do run marathons). The GEL series always has a couple of $50-70 entries.

Maybe next time i'll check out asics.

I have a pair of $50 reeboks that are pretty comfortable. Before that I had addidas, but they didn't hold up very well. I never wear nike because they hurt my toes. The tip of the shoe is always too narrow which = blisters.
Posted By: Pete D_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/11/06 11:57 PM
As far as brands go, I think New Balance and Saucony are both good, but as someone else said insoles and a good fitting are very important.
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/12/06 12:06 AM
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
The one and only way you're going to find a good shoe that matches up to what you need is to go into your local running shoe store.

This is the way to go. Don't bother going into a Footlocker, Kohls, Academy, Sports Authority, etc. Try to find a running specific store. At least for the recommendation.

I used to wear nothing but Nike back in the day. Then I had some training to do and a local running store was recommended to me. I went and figured they'd try to sell me some $200 New Balance. Instead, I was advised to buy a pair of Mizuno's (didn't even know they made shoes at the time). Even had me jog down the street to try them. I bought them for less than $70.

I've never returned to Nike as they are too slim for me. Most of my athletic shoes are New Balance now a days, but I'd definitely go back to the running store if I was to get back into training.
Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: Running shoes - 07/12/06 02:22 AM
Originally posted by cruises8:

Thanks Kim!

Nothing hardcore for me either. I run 2-3 miles 3 to 4 times a week. It's about time for another pair. I'll probably get another pair NB. You know the saying, "if it ain't broke...".
Posted By: volfan98 Re: Running shoes - 07/12/06 02:24 AM
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
The one and only way you're going to find a good shoe that matches up to what you need is to go into your local running shoe store.

+1
I personally LOVE my asics 2100 series

Matt
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Running shoes - 07/12/06 07:43 PM
A REAL runners store will check out if you pronate or supinate when you run (which refers more or less to whether your feet roll inwards or outwards when your foot plants). If you pronate, or even if you have low arches/flat feet, picking a stability shoe that addresses that WILL make a MAJOR difference on which models you should pick of several brands, and stability would then be just as important as shock absorption and much more important than shoe weight. Some of the preferred stability shoes have been around forever and are not super expensive. (Are the Brooks Beast and NB 580s still around?) And some mfrs don't even make a pronator's stability shoe (Nike has usually skipped that market segment but did make some good models off and on over the years). And trying on a shoe for size/comfort before you buy it is NOT to be skipped, as some mfrs run small (a NB size 11 might fit the same foot as a Nike size 12). I've run at weights of 210 to 240 over the years and I have low arches, doing from 1 mile twice a week to training for 10Ks or more and used Nikes, NBs, Asics, Brooks (and a few I don't recall) and had good and bad to say about all of them. BUT I did notice the NBs seem to break down faster, with cracking of the heel cushioning foam and peeling off of the soles sooner than most others.

And pay attention to what surface you run on if you get bad shin pains.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Running shoes - 07/12/06 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I will let you know what I get in a couple of weeks. I just payed all my bills (on time at that) so I have to wait for my next check.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Running shoes - 07/13/06 01:25 AM
Just a little info that I've learned along the way....

I had some major knee surgery, and I found that a running shoe with a lot of arch support goes a long way! Grab the shoe with both hands, finger tips of one hand the the front and the tips of the other at the rear and with both thumbs in the middle. Bend the shoe and see how stiff it is.

Personally, I've found that Asic gel series have a grip of support, very light weight and work best for me (I got a pair of gel-1110 duomax). For PT while in the Army, it seems like most people would use NB's (I had the 801 and 802 series and liked them).
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Running shoes - 07/13/06 02:47 AM
My sister used to go with Asics, but I was always a Reebok fan. I really think it's a matter of what fits you and your style best.
© CEG Archives