Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Derk-xB Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 09:43 PM
Here's the skinny: I'm about to graduate and start working in August. My fiance is working already. We're getting married in Sept. so we're not buying anything soon. Right now, I'm just having fun looking. I'll be walking to work every day (2 blocks ) so I'm looking for a car that's: Fun, quick/fast, handles well. I'd like something that handles well from the factory so I don't feel the urge to tinker with the suspension, but I wouldn't mind tinkering to get a few extra ponies.

So I went out and testdrove a 2005 MAZDASPEED Miata a couple days ago, then testdrove a brand-spankin-new 2006 Honda S2000 today. Here's what I thought:

Mazda: Drove very nicely. Firm but comfortable suspension. Good power and a really nice shifting transmission. I was pretty impressed with the fit and finish of the car.
Mazda Pros: Small, fun, comfy, "loaded" with all the performance stuff and no fluff. Sort of a sleeper. It felt like a toy!
Mazda Cons: Small (I had to duck see stop lights through the windshield). It's got good power, but there's no doubt that Flyin' Miata would be getting business from me.

Honda: Wow. Drove very nicely in the city and likewise on the interstate. I really enjoyed the feel of the suspension, too. I thought the power was very linear, but I admittedly only brought it up to about 6500 RPM. I guess the VTEC is just barely kicking in at that point. Either way, it still drove nicely at low RPMs and would be very easy to putt around in. The shifting was very smooth, too.
Honda Pros: Fun, unique, very refined feel, all the performace stuff, no fluff. Enough power that I wouldn't want to tinker (and I've also looked at aftermarket stuff...it looks like Honda has extracted every ounce of power out already). Honda reliability.
Honda Cons: Lots of $$$. I'd have to buy one used (2004+ with the 2.2L), which isn't all that bad. There was a pretty badblind spot with the top up.

So, if you were in my situation, what would you choose? I'm open to some more suggestions on a fun car...chances are I've already considered it but haven't test driven. I'm not stuck on convertables, either. I DO NOT like cars that are coupe-turned-vert (like the Z, Mustang, TT, etc); for some reason I just don't like the way they look.

What would you choose?
MAZDASPEED Miata
Honda S2000

Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 09:49 PM
miata, more value... Sure the S2000 is bad ass. but the Miata just has been around longer, its legendary you get a turbo plus Ive been hearing that the s2000 actually has a lot of problems.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 09:52 PM
Voted Mazda because you could likely get a longer warranty and it is a sick handling car. In addition to that it had fewer cons on your list.

For me, I like Honda. Just sup'm about them & the way they're built/drive/sound in stock form. Quiet, solid, smooth (although sometimes rubbery feeling. Weird.). The superior feel of the car as a whole is difficult to dismiss.

Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 10:00 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
miata...you get a turbo

I forgot to put that on the "Pro" list.
BTW, what problems w/ the Honda?

Originally posted by TourDeForce:
For me, I like Honda.
Quiet, solid, smooth.
The superior feel of the car as a whole is difficult to dismiss.

Yup, they're solid cars and their quality is undeniable.
Posted By: sigma Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 10:08 PM
You won't find a bigger Mazda fan. But come on, the S2000 kicks ass. And it should for at least twice the price. Personally I don't see how you can compare the two, the price difference is huge.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 10:15 PM
True, price difference is huge. But, I can compare the two because they're both roadsters.
But I agree, they're kinda in a different class from eachother. Maybe I should go drive a Boxter so I can say I've tested the entire gambit of roadsters...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 10:28 PM
The s2000 is a better car, but having driven both, I'd get the miata and mod it, just personal preference on how they feel to me.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/03/06 11:53 PM
Saturn Sky Red Line or Pontiac Solstice GTP

Not a fan of the MS Miata.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 01:00 AM
Hmmm...good input.
I hadn't considered those, so I had to look at them online.

I don't like the front end of the Solstice (looks like a Remmington razor if you ask me), nor the interior. But the Sky looks pretty sharp. I don't like the way either car looks with the top up, but top down they look good. They both seem to be a bit on the heavy side, and 245 rubber seems a bit overkill for 177 hp, eh? Maybe with 260 hp that'd be ok.

I've never been a big GM fan...it'd probably take a lot to get me into one at this point.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 01:13 AM
What about the Z4 w/ 3L?
Posted By: TJSwoboda Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Derk-xB:
Enough power that I wouldn't want to tinker (and I've also looked at aftermarket stuff...it looks like Honda has extracted every ounce of power out already).

A naturally aspirated four banger with 240 HP? Yeah, I'm thinkin' the same thing...

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend the S2000, but I haven't driven either car. You have, so you're the expert here...

--T.J.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 01:50 AM
TJ - I'm far from an expert.

Originally posted by Swazo:
What about the Z4 w/ 3L?

Don't like the Z4's front end. I love the back end of the Z4 and wish the front would match it a little better.
The Z3 and M roadster crossed my mind, but I don't like the fact that JD Power (according to a link on Edmunds) gives the BMWs a 2/5 on interior quality. That's a bummer on such an expensive car.

Maybe if I wait a year, the 2002 BMW M3 will be in my price range...
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 02:07 AM
Miata = more fun in everyday driving/slower-speed shenanigans
S2000 = more capable in higher-speed situations and track usage

I love both, and that's pretty much what it boils down to for me.
Posted By: sigma Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 02:12 AM

If a 2006 S2000 is in your price range, then a 2002 M3 is too.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 02:38 AM
06/07 Redline Sky is going to be nuts, 260hp 260 trq. Cars gonna fly.

I picked Mazda cause its rare, its decently quick, handles really nicly, Turbo , Plus if you like Solo II then its definatly a car your going to want.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:
I picked Mazda cause its rare, its decently quick, handles really nicly, Turbo , Plus if you like Solo II then its definatly a car your going to want.

The MSM has not proven that it can be competitive at the national level yet. The S2K is a competitive AS car while the MSM is still an also ran CS car and falling even further back now competing against the Solstice.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 03:21 AM
I'd look long and hard for an older Caterham.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 03:42 AM
I think the use of the car is going to direct you.

The S2000 is a better track car. If you're idea of fun is going to the track every weekend, this is the car for you. However, it's not all that great of a convertible, it's very highly strung to drive, and the interior is uncomfortable and looks like it came from a $14,000 Civic (if that).

I would pick a new MX-5 over the previous-gen MSM. It's just so much better in every way (including fixing the accomodations issue). A total joy to drive, it is also an exceptional convertible design with good lockable storage, a decent size trunk for this class, and a top that is a work of art. Yet, it can dance at the track meet too. The Miatas also have enjoyed exceptional reliability, even better than the S2000 in several surveys.

The Solstice/SKY is your typical GM screw-up of a car. They may have gotten the powertrain down, but the convertible aspect is about the worst I have seen in a modern car. It is impossible to take this car for a top-down weekend cruise because you have no trunk when the roof is lowered. The interior is cheap, flimsy, and easily broken (as I have seen on multiple samples), and lockable storage is at a premium. Either the MX-5 or the S2000 is a far better choice. Even a used MR2 is better, as terrible of a convertible as that is.

Between the two you selected, I would pick the Mazdaspeed Miata, as it is a better all-around convertible toy than the S2000, which I pick if you're looking for primarily a track car.

However, you really owe it to yourself to check out the new MX-5. It transcends the previous car, as good as it was.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 03:47 AM
Originally posted by sigma:
If a 2006 S2000 is in your price range, then a 2002 M3 is too.

Honda Cons: Lots of $$$. I'd have to buy one used...

I may take the car to an autocross or two, but I wont be seriously racing or competing. Hence, I don't think the Caterham is what I'm really looking for (though it's a bad arse machine!).
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 03:51 AM
How about a RX-8 or a C5 vette?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 03:57 AM
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:

However, you really owe it to yourself to check out the new MX-5. It transcends the previous car, as good as it was.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinkin' the Miata might be more of what I'm lookin' for. But, I will certainly test drive a new MX-5, too. I'm still getting used to the new styling, but I like it.
BTW, the quote on Mazda's website from Edmunds.com is (their Solstice vs. Miata comparo) pretty funny.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 04:22 AM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
How about a RX-8 or a C5 vette?

I simply do not like the RX-8. I think they're really ugly.
The C5 is a hellova lot of bang for the buck, but I've mentioned that before to my fiance and she said flat out "I wouldn't drive that thing." She thinks they're big & clunky, and doesn't like the look. I'm ok with that, though. I want something that we'll both enjoy driving, and there's no doubt I'll have fun driving a Miata or something of the like.

I appreciate all the input, and please keep up the suggestions. I know there are cars out there that I haven't thought about (like the Caterham) that would be a hoot to drive!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 04:46 AM
TJ - I'm far from an expert.

Originally posted by Swazo:
What about the Z4 w/ 3L?

Don't like the Z4's front end. I love the back end of the Z4 and wish the front would match it a little better.
The Z3 and M roadster crossed my mind, but I don't like the fact that JD Power (according to a link on Edmunds) gives the BMWs a 2/5 on interior quality. That's a bummer on such an expensive car.

Yes, the Z4 booty looks amazing! The front isn't bad IMO, but it sure isn't as nice as the side profile and rearend
I've TD'd a 3L just for ish and giggles, and I was pretty impressed. Too bad I need a back seat
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 05:55 AM

The C5 is a hellova lot of bang for the buck, but I've mentioned that before to my fiance and she said flat out "I wouldn't drive that thing." She thinks they're big & clunky, and doesn't like the look.

you seriously need to re-think this whole marriage idea. any woman that says something like that about the corvette can not be trusted!

i would LOVE to have a corvette, but like swazo, i need a backseat love those Z4s too! i cant even imagine what the M version will be like. and if they carry over the new TT from the 3 series.....
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 06:23 AM
The Z4 is just horribly NASTY! Front, rear, side, that car has NO good angles (and all together too many clashing bad ones all over the place).

I actually saw a Z4-based M-coupe today. It actually wasn't as hideous as either the original M-coupe or the Z4 roadster, though still far from any sort of attractiveness.

Keep that fiance! She's got the Corvette set dead to rights.
Posted By: baco99 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 01:16 PM
definitely the MazdaSpeed, but I'm a little biased...

Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/04/06 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Viss1:

S2000 = more capable in higher-speed situations and track usage

I'm not sure thats completely true. However, I am biased. I've had two miatas since my SVT, the most recent being the MSM and I have to say with short money, the MSM can be very competitive at all levels with the S2000. The MSM is an amazing platform and takes mods very well. For track days take off the heavier stock wheels and throw on some light weight 15" wheels and go have some fun. A friend of mine bought a 2005 S2000 and he test drove the MSM as well, he opted for the S2000 because he was partial to the look of it.

I've got a $40 AEM intake and $300 Flyin Miata downpipe and I had no problem keeping up with a stock '04 Mustang GT convertible in a straight line. I haven't had a chance to go up against my friends S2000 but I think it would be a lot of fun. Not bad considering I only paid $20,000.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 03:16 PM
LOL...I think I'm keepin' the fiance around, despite her comments toward the C5.

She's pretty excited to get a fun car. I want to make sure it's a car for both of us to have fun with, even if I'm driving it more, tinkering with it, etc.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 04:34 PM
Well if she doesn't like the C5 vert, what about a late-model C4 vert? That should be about in your price range, offer an absolute plethora of aftermarket parts, and not be "too big or clunky" for you fiance'. It sounds to me like she is stuck on the girly roadster type of car, so I guess that might not be an option then. I'd seriously look at the Sky and new Miata. Keep in mind, the MX-5 is better out of the box, but you can put any LS-based small block Chevy in the Sky. LS6 in Solstice
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 05:00 PM
I have to admit that I really do love the new Sky, I like it appearance wise over the MX5. Doesn't have much of a trunk, but if its a toy, who cares! I haven't driven either but based on looks alone I like the Sky.

I would definitely wait for the redline though
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 06:25 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Doesn't have much of a trunk, but if its a toy, who cares!

Believe me, it matters a great deal. It eliminates top-down weekend getaways, or even storing stuff for a day at the park/beach/lake. You can't even throw a cooler for lunch if the two of them are cruising. With the lack of decent locking storage in the car, (very small glovebox on SKY, none on Solstice), you can't even stash a few valuables.

I own a convertible, and I use the trunk a lot, even with the Mazda6 as a workhorse. It's a crime that designers and engineers don't think of such things when they design a car.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 07:29 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Well if she doesn't like the C5 vert, what about a late-model C4 vert?

I think it's Corvettes in general that she doesn't like. I think it's how long the car looks. (Remember, women judge cars on their looks...they don't care if that honkin' V8 is sitting behind the front axle ).
Plus, I don't like the look of the Corvette 'vert. I think the C4 is pretty damn dated lookin', too.

Originally posted by MadMerc97:

It sounds to me like she is stuck on the girly roadster type of car, so I guess that might not be an option then.

Actually, I think it's me that's stuck on girly roadsters!
Posted By: Yankees25_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 07:47 PM
How about a Mini? Or for a different kind of fun, a Wrangler? I like the idea of the Solstice GXP personally...
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 08:24 PM
A Cooper S has crossed my mind a time or two. I know my fiance would love one. Are they pretty reliable? I get the feeling they're on par with VW, Audi, etc. which doesn't excite me. I'd LOVE to go with something RWD, but FWD, supercharged, with a LSD wouldn't be all that bad. Anyone driven a Cooper S?
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 09:13 PM
Reliability on the Coopers has been shaky, but has improved on recent models. It's still nowhere near the S2000 or Miata.

Overall, while a fun car, I think the ergonomics are a nightmare, so make sure you can tolerate the gauges and switches before you buy.
Posted By: Tourige Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 09:39 PM
new C70?

Its a Hard top Vert and with the Turbo 5 your going to get places decently quick, i know my mom's T5 moves
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 10:14 PM
new C70?

Its a Hard top Vert and with the Turbo 5 your going to get places decently quick, i know my mom's T5 moves

Perhaps we should stick to cars in the $20-25K range
Posted By: Tourige Re: fun cars - 07/04/06 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
new C70?

pffffff
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 03:49 AM

Thanks.

James - I thought I'd read a few things about Mini's reliability being marginal. Bummer. It's one thing if I break something when I'm modding , but it's another (and much more annoying) thing if it breaks without the grace of my hand.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 03:54 AM
At the risk of being flamed, have you looked at a Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 04:05 AM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
At the risk of being flamed, have you looked at a Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible?

FLAME ON!!!

To answer your question, no I haven't. While I think the G6 is a HUGE improvement over what it replaced, I haven't even considered it. In fact, I didn't even know the G6 had a convertible. 30K for the GTP version is a little steep, and it's only pushin' 227hp. Auto only.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 04:19 AM

Sorry, the poster is looking for a FUN car. The G6 is definitely not fun to drive.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 01:33 PM
Sorry, the poster is looking for a FUN car.

LOL! I thought Pontiac "built excitement" or something?
Posted By: Tourige Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 02:03 PM
What about an old SLK 32 AMG?

Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 02:10 PM
How about that new VW Eos hardtop convertible that's coming out? It might be a worthwhile option. Just be sure that you lease it and don't keep it past the warranty period.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 02:15 PM
What about an old SLK 32 AMG?

haha, under $30k?

are you looking just at rwd? or awd too? evo? subie?

used bmw 3 series vert? or coupe/sedan.

sebring vert!

j/k
Posted By: baco99 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 03:01 PM
the beauty of the Miata is the trunk is the same (smallish) suize with the top up or down. One of the reasons I love it. No need to reshuffle luggage on nice days.

It will fit:
- 1 golf bag and 1 small duffle
- 2 small duffles

Enough for a weekend of fun.

Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 03:29 PM
Originally posted by baco99:
the beauty of the Miata is the trunk is the same (smallish) suize with the top up or down. One of the reasons I love it. No need to reshuffle luggage on nice days.

It will fit:
- 1 golf bag and 1 small duffle
- 2 small duffles

Enough for a weekend of fun.

Those newer miatas must have lost trunk space over the old ones.

My 1990 miata can fit.
2 helmets.
1 racing jack.
2 24 packs of water
2 duffle bags
1 box of autox stuff (including numbers, cordless impact wrench, clif bars, and a bunch of other loose junk thaT I have floating around in the trunk)
1 small softsided cooler.
1 8x10 tarp to cover evertyhing.

Yes sounds like enough for a weekend of fun to me
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 03:39 PM
All this Miata talk...did anyone see the article in Car & Driver this month about the "Locosts", aka homebuilt Lotus 7 replicas? Some Miata mechanic has written a book on how to chop up a Miata and use the spinny bits as the basis for an inexpensive (~$10K) Seven clone. It was VERY interesting.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 03:53 PM
Keith Tanner

How to Build a Cheap Sports Car
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760322872/104-0230818-0789552?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 03:57 PM

Sorry, the poster is looking for a FUN car. The G6 is definitely not fun to drive.

Meh...the talk had turned to convertibles so much that I forgot the actual subject line of the original post.

Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 05:18 PM
Originally posted by svtizzle4stizzle:
evo? subie?

used bmw 3 series coupe/sedan.

All good suggestions, and I certainly haven't ruled them out. BMWs, like a 330Ci, as sexy as they are, don't offer a lot of bang for the buck. They're damn sexay, though.

Originally posted by moxnix:
Keith Tanner

Who also happens to work for Flyin' Miata.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 05:41 PM
Crossfire or 350Z are two other choices that should be around $25K used.

If you are looking for a project:
240SX convertible w/ SR20 and 5spd swap
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 07:33 PM
Here's a thought...do you have your heart set on a late model car?

If not, there are tons of '60's and '70's era Alfas or Fiats available. You could get in relatively cheaply, they're pretty straightforward mechanically so you can do your own repairs, and c'mon....what's cooler than an old Italian drop-top?

You'd have something very few people have now days, they're great looking, you can flog 'em around a track too, and you'd be preserving a piece of automotive history.

Just another thought for you to toss in with the rest.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 08:40 PM

If not, there are tons of '60's and '70's era Alfas or Fiats available. You could get in relatively cheaply, they're pretty straightforward mechanically so you can do your own repairs, and c'mon....what's cooler than an old Italian drop-top?

You'd have something very few people have now days, they're great looking, you can flog 'em around a track too, and you'd be preserving a piece of automotive history.

Along thse lines: Porsche 356 Speedster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-356-speedster-VINTAGE-356-1956-porsche-356-speedster-replica-by-vintage_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ7251QQihZ003QQitemZ130003296976QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 08:54 PM

Along thse lines: Porsche 356 Speedster ebay Porsche Speedster

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Posted By: ESC_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 09:00 PM

Along thse lines: Porsche 356 Speedster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-356-speedster-VINTAGE-356-1956-porsche-356-speedster-replica-by-vintage_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ7251QQihZ003QQitemZ130003296976QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is the one I'm considering in a few years, when I'm so deep into the student line of credit another $25k won't matter:

http://www.specialtyauto.com/PORSCHE.htm
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: fun cars - 07/05/06 10:58 PM
Whoa...that porsche is in great condition!

I hadn't really considered an older roadster...hmmm. I'll toss that idea out to the fiance and she what she thinks.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: fun cars - 07/06/06 12:37 AM
Whoa...that porsche is in great condition!

I hadn't really considered an older roadster...hmmm. I'll toss that idea out to the fiance and she what she thinks.

Hopefully the older roadster suggestion will redeem me from the G6 hardtop suggestion!
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: fun cars - 07/06/06 01:05 AM
Two more:

Lotus Elan http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/car/178690352.html

Qvale Mangusta about $30K used
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Qvale-Mangusta-2001-QVALE-MANGUSTA-DeTomaso_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6472QQihZ001QQitemZ110000503216QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 01:20 AM
You can also Vortech the S2000
Posted By: baco99 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 01:56 AM
i looked at an Elan before the Miata too. lovely little car. great engine, but parts are rare and expensive. the one i drove was white, which was not appealing to me either.

i also drove an early 80's Fiat convertible. GREAT little car. my body shop guys has it. he's looking for $10k for it. 25k original miles and it is BEAUTIFUL.

when the Ghia is done and sold, I'm buying it.

Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 02:00 AM
Originally posted by baco99:

i also drove an early 80's Fiat convertible. GREAT little car. my body shop guys has it. he's looking for $10k for it. 25k original miles and it is BEAUTIFUL.

They are an acquired tast but the Spiders are a head turner due to the rarity. Very nice example here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-HARDTOP-1988-QUADRIFOGLIO-SPIDER-ONLY-47-000-ORIGINAL-MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ84154QQihZ008QQitemZ180002942573QQrdZ1

Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 02:32 AM
I think we're getting pretty far afield. My neighbors had an Alfa-Romeo Spider, and as much as they loved it even they told me it's a big commitment in time and money. The Fiat/Pininfarina and Lotus are even more so.

These cars represent as much for those who find fun in caring for them as in driving them. For someone who is concerned about the reliability of the Mini, I wonder if these are too hands-on of an ownership experience. Otherwise, I'd throw in the RX-7 convertible as well for rarity and something different, but a lot fewer headaches.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 02:39 AM
I'd throw in the RX-7 convertible as well for rarity and something different, but a lot fewer headaches.

I'd pitch the idea of an RX-7 convert with a V8 conversion. If we're gonna dream, let's dream big.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:

I'd pitch the idea of an RX-7 convert with a V8 conversion. If we're gonna dream, let's dream big.

That is complete and utter sacrilege. Supercharge the rotary, throw in a 20B... but it MUST remain a rotary. Otherwise, you have destroyed the soul and spirit of the car.

The convertible isn't a dream, it's factory reality.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:

That is complete and utter sacrilege. Supercharge the rotary, throw in a 20B... but it MUST remain a rotary. Otherwise, you have destroyed the soul and spirit of the car.

It doesn't really matter. If it's faster, more reliable, and cheaper, then put a chebby v8 in it. Rotaries are cool, but not many people wanna deal with them. The soul of the car will say, well heck I get driven more often and I'm faster, let's go!
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 03:14 AM
Rotaries aren't hard to deal with or unreliable. I don't know where people get these myths about them. If you want a Chevy V8, but a Camaro or Corvette converible. If you want an RX-7, keep it an RX-7. Keep it rotary, as that engine is part of the inherent character of the car. Putting a V8 in an RX-7 is as bad as putting putting all the ricer plastic and stickers on one.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 03:20 AM
Rotaries aren't hard to deal with or unreliable. I don't know where people get these myths about them. If you want a Chevy V8, but a Camaro or Corvette converible. If you want an RX-7, keep it an RX-7. Keep it rotary, as that engine is part of the inherent character of the car. Putting a V8 in an RX-7 is as bad as putting putting all the ricer plastic and stickers on one.

Rotaries are finicky and I get that from seeing it. I won't ever out right call them unreliable or hard to work on. They're just not for everyone.

Ummmm, putting a v8 in makes them easier to deal with and faster, not even close to being compared to a sticker. Be realistic and get over the rotary thing and get with the fun, reliable, low maintenance thing.
Posted By: Yankees25_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 03:32 AM
How about an off-lease Boxster?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 04:15 AM
After thinkin' about the classic roadsters, I don't think that's what I'm really after. Although they're really cool (that silver Alfa is in amazing condition!), I think that's something I'd rather undertake when I'm retired. I'd rather have the mondern feel when I'm sitting behind the wheel - tight steering, ergonomic and well placed buttons, a CD player, nice brakes w/ ABS, and airbags. You get the idea.

Also, say I put a CD player in a '88 Alfa Spyder... I'd get bad vibes from the Alfa crowd a the Alfa meets.

I think a Boxter is a little outta my league, and there's no Porsche dealership for about 75 miles from where I'm moving. It'd be hard to drive 150 miles for warranty work.

Engine swaps are 100% outta the question. I don't have the tools, the space, nor the desire to undertake something like that. I want to drive the car.

I know it's not a roadster, but what are peoples' opinions on the G35 coupe? Pros & cons?

One thing I like about the MSM and the S2000 is that they come with all the performance goodies. I'm not into DVD navigation, homelink, blah blah blah. If I'm not mistaken, one can purchase the G35 w/o a LSD. I don't want a RWD, 6 speed, 287hp coupe without a limited-slip! That's just silly! Since I'd probably be buying one used, I'm wondering if it'd be a hassle to find one that's "just right."
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 04:26 AM
If I'm not mistaken, one can purchase the G35 w/o a LSD. I don't want a RWD, 6 speed, 287hp coupe without a limited-slip! That's just silly! Since I'd probably be buying one used, I'm wondering if it'd be a hassle to find one that's "just right." [/quote

Get a 350Z over the G35C if all you are looking for is entertainment. G35C is a daily driver which is very livable year around. Maximize your fun by getting something sportier and not so luxury oriented................... IMHO of course

I'd stick with a 'vert as well. Nothing like top-down driving.

Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 05:17 AM

Hopefully the older roadster suggestion will redeem me from the G6 hardtop suggestion!

BTW, you're redeemed.

Fmr12B - good input. I think I really need to drive a Z. Hmmm...I have tomorrow off...
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 01:00 PM

I dunno, most times that I see RX-7s for sale, the ads mention when the motor was last replaced. My buddy with a 3rd gen has replaced one and (I think) rebuilt the second one. And when I started mulling the idea a year or two ago about grabbing a deal on a 2nd gen Turbo II, I was doing some research on RX-7 webpages (and these were fans of the design), and there seemed to be some very fiddly issues with daily driving. But that's just my impression.
Posted By: xdouble_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 01:23 PM
My wife went through the same thing recently. She wanted a convertible and likes roadsters. We test drove both a S2000 and a Miata (not MS version). We ended up buying the Miata.

We test drove a 2004 S2000 first. It is fast, handles very well and has better interior/exterior aesthetics (personal opinion of course). However, I found the car incredibly cramped and uncomfortable, it gets worse gas mileage, costs a lot more and costs more to insure.

A couple weeks later, we test drove a 2000 Miata. I wasn't expecting to be impressed having already driven the S2000. However, I was very impressed. The Miata is not near as fast and it may not look near as cool, but it is definitely more satisfying to drive. It is hard to put your finger on exactly what makes the difference. We like the seating position in the Miata better, the transmission feels great, and the car feels extremely nimble. We've taken it on a 200 mile trip and I was not at all uncomfortable. The price difference between the two cars helps a lot as well. On top of that, there is a huge aftermarket of comparatively cheap parts for the Miata. The wife is already asking for forced induction.

I don't know if my opinion will help you make a decision, but good luck.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 02:14 PM
Your wife rocks!

Thanks for the input. My fiance is really excited to do some test driving!
Posted By: APT_dup1 Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 04:37 PM
I agree with James. Stick to rotary in an RX.

Rotaries don't like heat. Turbos generate heat. They also are easy to increase boost for more power which also generates heat. How many stock turbo RX-7's (2nd or 3rd gen) have problems? Few. I only hear about problems when people (who don't do their research) start modifying them. The other issue is apex seals. They wear out over about 150k miles, +/-25k. Rebuilding a rotary is common because the engiens are failry old, and it is very easy/cheap to do compared to piston engines.

The NA 13B is one of the most reliable engine designs with much fewer moving parts compared to piston designed. Since the RX-7 hasn't been for sale in the States for at least 11 years, and the NA 13b since 1990, stories about rebuilds doesn't surprise me. Anyway, I have 158k miles on my 13B. It leaks a little oil, but the engien is pretty strong.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Test drove 2 potential "fun" cars - 07/06/06 09:46 PM
Originally posted by APT:
How many stock turbo RX-7's (2nd or 3rd gen) have problems?

From what I've seen, most of the FDs do. Apex seals by 100k miles at the latest. Boost leaks and more. Nothing that can't be handled, assuming the owner wants to learn and work on a rotary.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Test drove another car - 07/07/06 06:35 PM
Drove a base model Z today.
Unf!

I gotta go find that link that Swazo put up w/ that super sweet sounding Z exhaust.

Damnit...I wish I was in the market for a car NOW. Stupid wedding costing so damn much. Is it too late to elope?
© CEG Archives