Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RawBurt Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:03 PM
Please post up some details on what you are, and what it took to get there... I'm trying to learn all about it, so I can figure out which direction to go...

No BS please, ask yourself before responding to this thread... are you in engineering?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:05 PM
You have to be able to get into college first.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:08 PM
Originally posted by todras:

i'm calling you butta, cuz you on a roll, son!

~Andrew
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:12 PM
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:13 PM

thanks [censored]
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:

i'm gonna butta your roll son!

~Andrew

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:16 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:

thanks [censored]

Awesome guy is censored? Strange.
Posted By: rouar Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:25 PM
What type of engineering are you looking for? Manufacturing, ECE, Civil, Aerospace, etc?? My current job title officially states "Associate QA Engineer" but I was a Management Information Systems major. ... although it has more to do with conceptual (data testing) than physical engineering.

Really you should just go for what you like doing the most. I have friends in every major listed above that went simply because they liked doing what they were doing. I also know someone who graduated civil many years ago but ended up never working it (accepted manufacturing and ECE type jobs instead), so even if you can't land a job in your major a strong general engineering background is good.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Rouar:
What type of engineering are you looking for? Manufacturing, ECE, Civil, Aerospace, etc??

Thats why I made this post. I am trying to get a good understanding on all the different fields. Right now I am currently doing test engineering.
Posted By: sigma Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 01:50 PM
I'm technically an Industrial Engineer, though my formal education and much of my experience is primarily in transportation management and traffic engineering. My degree is actually a Business degree.

My current work is in the railroad industry. I do a wide variety of statistical analysis and computer simulation modeling (and, on occasion some Lean/Kaizen tools) on an equally wide variety of subjects ranging from traffic flow patterns to locomotive maintenance intervals to infrastructure inspections. So the job is interesting in that I'm always working on something different that requires extensively learning about something new.

This particular job in this particular industry doesn't take much to get into since the rail industry is pretty desperate for fresh blood. Any engineering degree (Mechanical or Industrial preferred) will get you in the door. Even without one (like myself) a demonstrated penchant for efficiency and analysis will suffice.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:02 PM
degree: BS in mechanical engineer w/ minor in materials engineering

Work for Hamilton Sundstrand - aerospace w/primary focus on JSF

I set up and reques engine tests to be completed to gather strain or vibration data on various components. Once the test has been completed the data is then process and reviewed. Most of the data I have worked with is then used for bench testing to qualify the parts for flight release. Other in my group also run anlysis (Ansys, etc) on tubes, actuators, etc which is what I want to get into.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:04 PM
Cobra, Elky, zgendron, Brapple are mechanical engineers (I think there's a few more in NECEG, sorry if I excluded you).
Cobra has his MET from attending 5 years at Northeastern University. 5 years instead of 4 because of their co-op program.
Brapple makes hella coin, from what I hear.

If you really have a passion for cars, I'd say mechanical engineering is up your alley.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:06 PM
What type of engineering are you looking for? Manufacturing, ECE, Civil, Aerospace, etc??

Thats why I made this post. I am trying to get a good understanding on all the different fields. Right now I am currently doing test engineering.

He wants to be the kind of engineer that makes enough money to buy something better than a contour
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:

He wants to be the kind of engineer that makes enough money to buy something better than a contour

No... I'm trying to decide on a direction.
Posted By: CeeBee94Z Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:13 PM
Degrees:
1) Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering
2) Masters Degree in Computer Engineering

Work:
Lockheed Martin - Systems Integration in Owego, NY (Home of the next Presidential Helicopter)

I work as a Systems Engineer on the A-10 aircraft doing a lot of IRAD stuff right now. The big thing I am kind of the head of right now is integrating a new missile that has never been fired off of a fixed wing aircraft (other than the predator which flies a lot slower)

Best thing I can say is go with what interests you the most. With my interest in cars and mechanical ability I could have easily done Mechanical Engineering as well, but I enjoy being an Electrical/Computer Engineer a little more.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:20 PM
BS in Mechanical Engineering, working as a Manufacturing Engineer.

i am dumb, so i get low paying menial jobs.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:27 PM
Job: Associate Thermal Mechanical Engineer (for Intel) -> fancy way of saying I have he skills/experience to be an engineer, but not the 4 year degree

Work: R&D of thermal energy management for next generation computing electronics. Most of which centers around cooling solutions for CPUS & chipsets. I get to play with new CPU's long before they are released.

School: ASEE and AAS in Physics

Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:28 PM
Do you want information from people that have "engineer" degrees, or people that have "engineer" in their title? I'm a storage engineer but don't have a degree. In fact, I have only been to college to take an entrance exam. I hear that storage engineers make a lot of money.

Storage engineer means architecting data storage solutions, and sometimes implementing them. Think of a hard drive the size of a minivan.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:30 PM
good point.
before i got my degree in ME, i was a Petroleum Distribution Engineer for about 5 years.
Posted By: sonza68_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 02:33 PM
BS in Aerospace Engineering

I'm in engine integration. Since the engines touch pretty much every system on the aircraft I get to see a little bit of everything. Our group gets involved with maintenance procedures, accident investigation, human factors concerns, software integration, and physical integration of different systems (electrical, hydraulic, ECS, fuel and structures). Being on the production side of the house also gives me a chance to be around real planes instead of just sitting in front of a computer all day.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:03 PM
im no engineer but i know four of them personally.

my cousin got her bs/masters in structural engineering and works as a manager in a factory (manufacturing engineer?) making sure things run smoothly.

my friend got his bs in civil engineering and works for a power company traveling around the state checking the company's dams for structural integrity etc... He's a "dam engineer" he also worked for some automtive companies in hybrid technology development.

my brother in law is a network engineer. got his AA in computers(?) then his MCSE (microsoft certified software engineer) which is a BIG plus in his field. he runs an IT network/dept.

his father, got his BS from DeVry in computer engineering(?). has worked on everything from programming to product design. his current company does a lot of work with high tech led products. he makes some big coin.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:06 PM
Bachelor of Engineering (Mech) - University of Western Australia

If you decide you want to do this better ready yourself for serious work. And unless you're good at math; specifically geometry, trigonometry, algebra and mathematical problem solving, you're hosed.
Posted By: Silver Snake_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:08 PM
BS in Aerospace Engineering
BS in Mechanical Engineering

Current Position: Applications and Development Engineer - Brembo North America

Basically, I am responsible for brake system sizing and system integration. However I am also heavliy involved in vehicle development: maintaining and updating DVP's, vehicle evaluation and testing (street and road course), etc.

Before that I worked as a design and release engineer at Ford. Before that I did a brief stint with Canon, as a project engineer for a laser printer line.

-Todd
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
If you decide you want to do this better ready yourself for serious work. And unless you're good at math; specifically geometry, trigonometry, algebra and mathematical problem solving, you're hosed.

very good point right there.
I helped Mike with his homework a couple times in college, and it was pretty intense.
Thankfully I had a pretty decent background in math.

I wish I woulda known about being an actuary back before I chose a career path. Hot damn! talk about coin!
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:31 PM
BS Mechanical Engineering

I was a design and release engineer at Ford for about 5 years; I worked on a number of specialty mustang projects in various capacities, and then the last few of those years I was responsible for brake actuation components for a number of vehicles.
Then I spent a year at Ford as a Brake Development Engineer, doing all sorts of new model brake system testing.

Then Ford laid off a ton of people, including me, so now I will be starting at TRW next month as a resident engineer handling valvetrain components.

And in my "spare" time over the last 3 years, I've been helping build and campaign road racing mustangs in Grand Am Cup.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
so now I will be starting at TRW next month as a resident engineer handling valvetrain components.

Damn. No more jobless teasing now.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:45 PM
I used to be a parts transportation engineer. Okay, so that's what I would call my job at the Ford dealership, driving around and picking up parts for the techs.

Mark
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:47 PM
I'm currently working on a Mechnical Engineering degree. So far, one year in, I'd say if you you like math, any type of engineering degree will need more than enough mathmatics.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:52 PM

Math is something I've always been good at... I actually somewhat enjoy it. I'm not expecting it to be easy, this is something I have been toying with for awhile now. And I need to sh!t or get off the pot and find something new.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this, its very helpful.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 03:57 PM
My borther is a Mechanical Engineer working at Daimler-Chrysler, was with Daimler before the merger.

He also holds his PE license.

In college he stuidied his ass off and made connections through the schools various student projects. He worked on the high mileage team car and competed. He was also active with SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)

His first job out of college was with Hyster, the forklift company. He wasn't all that thrilled with the work as he did alot of CAD.

He managed to work his connections through SAE and get a interview with one of Daimlers subsidiaries.

His first job at Daimler was in the Axle & driveline group, he then became bored and began taking EE classes at night. He moved departments and worked in the speedometer group.

He also stayed active in SAE and became President of the state.

He became bored and decided he wanted to do a foreign tour, began German lessons at night and got a 2yr tour to Stuttgart. He completed his 2yr tour last year and got a job stateside working on the production line in the cab body area. He supervises the area of roughly 200 union guys + 4 supervisors.

He turns 33 this July.
Posted By: rouar Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 04:10 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
I wish I woulda known about being an actuary back before I chose a career path. Hot damn! talk about coin!

I have two good friends who were Actuarian Math majors in my class. One hated it but it's what she was good at. Her only incentive was the money, since she didn't want to be homeless like her family. With the birth of her second child she decided to drop out of college since there was now no point to learning things she hated (her boyfriend/husband graduated ECE).

Another friend stuck it out until .. get this .. the last semester of college. Despite her fondess for math, she grew to hate the major and finally switched to industrial engineering, which means she's going back for one more year to get those requirements done.

Like I said before .. find something you're happy with doing. No point in having a nice salary if it sacrifices your well-being.
Posted By: APT_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 04:14 PM
BS Computer Engineering GMI/Kettering
MS Embedded Systems Oakland University

Business card:
TRW Automotive
Slip Control Software Engineering

I am responsible for the ABS, TC, and ESC application software for specific vehicles. Right now, the 2008 Chevy Impala/Monte Carlo are mine. I think I'll be working on the Pntiac G6 and siblings next.

My wife has a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a an MS in Engineering Manangement. She works at DCX managing the dyno test cells for engine and transmission durability.

Salaries: Plenty

My entering class @ GMI lost about half the students to other schools by the time we graduated. Those that either couldn't or wouldn't handle the type of study left to other types of programs.

I hear that packaging engineers are getting great starting salaries lately.

Be prepaired to leave Michigan to maximize your earnings.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 04:25 PM
BS MET - Purdue
Company - Caterpillar, Technology and Solutions Division

Today I work in hydraulic development and get to break things I am a team leader for component testing. I have been in product design, both hydraulic pump/motor and diesel fuel systems, and am moving to wheel loader hydraulic system design/analysis soon.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 04:29 PM
Please post up some details on what you are, and what it took to get there... I'm trying to learn all about it, so I can figure out which direction to go...

No BS please, ask yourself before responding to this thread... are you in engineering?

Judging from what I know about your rawburt, I think Mechianical Engineering is right up your alley.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 04:33 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

Judging from what I know about your rawburt, I think Mechianical Engineering is right up your alley.

I'm thinking the same thing, I've been exploring as many fields as I can, and so far mechanical seems most applicable.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 04:47 PM
Robert,

Just remember, the great thing about a mechanical engineering degree, is the process doesn't really teach you how to do a particular job, it teaches you how to think, and how to figure stuff out to make virtually anything mechanical work. I've always felt that someone with an ME degree has the broadest options of any other degree out there.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 04:54 PM
Thanks Rara, thats a good thing to know when/ if going into it.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:02 PM

You mean the kid that takes EVERYTHING to Stazi?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:04 PM
Current degree: Mechanical Designer
Degree: 2 year associates degree

Going for: Mechanical Engineer
Degree: Bachelors of Science M.E.

WORD!
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:06 PM
degree B.S. in Computer Engineering from Uconn in May 06

current job: unemployed

I thought about switching to mechanical or electrical. I'm glad I didn't as I have too much experience with computers. it had a bit of everything (software/hardware) which was nice. Unfortuantely the demand for it doesn't seem to be that great in my area so I find myself applying for EE or IT jobs.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:17 PM

You mean the kid that takes EVERYTHING to Stazi?

Seriously, I asked for no BS. Now STFU and go spew oil all over the road, apparently you need to start taking your cars to people that actually know what they are doing.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:18 PM
That's the best you can do? Oh & that's no BS.
Posted By: DESIGN Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:18 PM
AAS in CADD
I can run almost all versions of drafting software plus have the machining and technical skills to program/operate CAD/CAM systems.
For the last 8 years I have worked in small to medium size companies where my duties have bled over into industrial engineering, tool design, manufacturing engineering.
I hate math. That is why I'll never be a degreed engineer. I can find most of the answers I need and work with engineers that can guide me if I get confused.

Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:19 PM
Point made.
Posted By: Silver Snake_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
Robert,

Just remember, the great thing about a mechanical engineering degree, is the process doesn't really teach you how to do a particular job, it teaches you how to think, and how to figure stuff out to make virtually anything mechanical work. I've always felt that someone with an ME degree has the broadest options of any other degree out there.

I agrre completely. This applies to engineering in general, but Mech-E especially. As Rara said, it is more of a thoght procees and a methodical apporach to problem solving.

One piece of advise: pay attention to the process of solving things. Don't focus on remembering every equation. That was a pet peeve of mine...professors who insisted you memorize every equation. In the real world, that isn't important. Understanding the solution path or approach to the problem is important. You can reach to the shelf and grab a text book showing the equation....knowing which one to use...and how to use it is the important part

-Todd
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:34 PM

4th year Mechanical Engineering student at Marquette University.
I think mechanical is the way you want to go from reading this thread. After I completed all the begging courses that explore all the types of engineering my freshman year I knew that mechanical is the way for me to go. The school you attend will most likely have you take these beginner courses as well.

As an example, I am doing an internship for an industrial engineering company this summer. I do not like what I do, which tells me industrial engineering is not something I want to do. You will have a much better idea of what type of engineering you want to do after your first year.

Good luck
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Silver Snake:

One piece of advise: pay attention to the process of solving things. Don't focus on remembering every equation. That was a pet peeve of mine...professors who insisted you memorize every equation. In the real world, that isn't important. Understanding the solution path or approach to the problem is important. You can reach to the shelf and grab a text book showing the equation....knowing which one to use...and how to use it is the important part

-Todd

Yes, agree 100%. Only thing is I just learned this at the end of my junior year. Would have made studying and learning much more productive. But instead I was so concerned with even little detail that I missed the big picture.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 05:43 PM
Bachelor of Engineering (Mech) - University of Western Australia

yeah but isnt that like one of those "colleges" in the Phillipines where you earn your "degree" in a year??

ps im dying to know what your school's mascot was!
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 06:18 PM
I'm an ME in training....start my fourth year for BSME in the fall.

And i really need to get one of these job things that everyone talks about...
Posted By: ElKy Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 06:35 PM
Originally posted by amarv12:
I'm an ME in training....start my fourth year for BSME in the fall.

And i really need to get one of these job things that everyone talks about...

runaway!!!
stay in school and never leave, the realworld sucks!!
haha
Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 06:39 PM
Bachelor's of Mechanical Engineering June '00 from Auburn University.

Going on 6 years doing hi-rel aerospace electronics packaging for a 13k+ employee communications company based in Melbourne. Much of the work is TS, but a mechanical engineer working the electronics packaging area can generally expect to oversee the life cycle of an electronics box from concept design to qualification testing & delivery. To that end, he will grapple with areas such as galvanic compatibility & related coatings & finishes; radiation and EMI/RFI susceptibility and shielding; material outgassing; ESD protection and mitigation techniques, selection of exotic materials for weight, strength, or both; metal and polymer fabrication practices; organic and ceramic circuit card design and fabrication; component solder joint low-cycle and high-cycle fatigue failure mitigation (based on thermal and vibration environmental factors); ruggedization of circuit cards and enclosures for extreme environments; precision tolerancing of electronics assemblies (particularly in RF design); structural adhesive bonding techniques and associated materials and finishes; thermal management techniques in extreme environments; thermal and structural testing/evaluation techniques, the 'lead-free initiative' and its impact on hi-rel electronics; circuit card assembly materials, techniques, and processes, and a number of other topics I've overlooked. He will need to be familiar with MIL and industry specifications and standards for everthing from how to size a current-carrying conductor for space to specifying the correct nickel plating on a machined part for a specific application. In addition to the manpower and scheduling (managerial) tools required for his position, he will need a familiarity with 3D solid modeling tools such as Pro/E, database configuration management such as Pro/Intralink, product structure management packages such as Agile PDM or PTC Windchill, and analysis tools such as NASTRAN, PATRAN, FLOTHERM, FEMAP, and others. He is required to work closely with internal, government, and commercial customers and counterpart(s), technical partners, and subcontracted vendors to arrive at a mutually acceptable design compliant to often quite rigid specifications, all in a team environment. He is required to communicate and defend his design in front of internal customers, the government customer, and the government's consultant community.

It's a neat job, not quite so glamourous that you can drive it home and everybody can see it...can't even talk about it to anybody...but there's some satisfaction in being on the knife-edge of technology, 10 to 15 years ahead of the commercial world in many areas.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 07:32 PM
AS in Avionics
AS in Electronics
AS in CDD

going to finish my BS in ME starting in august!
Posted By: jerseyca�10 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/20/06 09:03 PM
Bachelors in Computer Science makes me a....

Software Engineer.
Posted By: ScottK Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 02:44 AM
BS Mechanical Engineer - University of Rochester
Computer Science - Rochester Institue of Technolgy

Worked at Xerox as a mech e, was really f-in bored so went back for Computer Science at Rochester Institue of Technolgy. Never bothered to get a degree as I started working as a software engineer before I finished the program. Been designing / writing code ever since. Like Rara pointed out, a good Mech E can easily switch to any disicpline where a good Comp Sci/Eng major would have to bust there behind to ever switch to "real" engineering. Mech E's rule, even though I make a butt load more money as a software engineer

For me I'm just lucky I'm pretty smart, as I was damn lazy in school - some of my friends seemed to work pretty hard but I never had that problem. As long as I spent as much time drinking as I did studying all was good - I sometimes wonder what I could've accomplished if I went to college just to learn
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 02:59 AM
BSE Electrical Engineering/University of Michigan

Currently working for Lucent Technologies as Test Engineer, System Administrator, .NET Developer, offshore production overseer, collaberation tool clerk, and coffee drinker. Be prepared to do different things than what you studied for. Trust me.
Posted By: ESC_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 04:05 AM
Lots of good examples and advice in this thread. Two things stuck out in my mind that are worth repeating: bachelors might not teach you too much practical knowledge (better if you can get some co-op experience as part of the deal) but you will learn how to think and problem solve, and you'd better like math, especially the one I don't think was mentioned: calculus. You will never escape calculus, even in upper years they just rename the courses, but you're still doing it. Only text book I kept all the way through was first year calc (mostly because I'd forget how to integrate after returning from each co-op term).

I did a bachelors in System Design engineering at Waterloo, 5 years with the mandatory co-op. Have worked in networking, software and semiconductors, but purely in the technical marketing or product management side. It was a good experience, and a year in Silicon Valley was an eye-opener...I knew half way through that I engineering wasn't for me, but I guess inertia got the best of me and I stuck it out.

Best thing about engineering is, even if you change your mind about careers, the degree won't limit you from anything as long as you keep your grades decent; although if you realize you want to do something other than engineering there are definitely much easier / more direct paths to pursue to that goal. Personally, I graduated in '04 and never made it into the corporate 'real world'. Started a business during my last year and transitioned it off last year. I just finished first year medical school, and FWIW there are close to a dozen engineers in my class (mech, chem, comp, etc) including a couple older fellas who worked for many years before switching, so there are endless possibilities coming from an eng background.

If I could go back, would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. I know a lot of engineers who aren't happy with their careers and look back on their education choice with regret, but I really think the problem solving skills you learn can extend to many other facets of your life and even different careers if you choose.
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 05:49 AM
Manufacturing Engineering -

stop making the equations about it and make it - thats what we do!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 11:44 AM
Definetely a good thread, thanks guys...
Posted By: APT_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 11:54 AM
Originally posted by ScottK:
Like Rara pointed out, a good Mech E can easily switch to any disicpline where a good Comp Sci/Eng major would have to bust there behind to ever switch to "real" engineering.

There is a huge difference in the curriculum of computer science and computer engineering degrees. Computer engineering is not that different than electrical, at least when when I got mine (1.5 semesters more). Computer science is/was quite different.

That said, Machanical or Electrical I would say are equal in their teachings of methods that can be applied towards the widest type of work.
Posted By: Barge Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 02:04 PM
Holy crap.. what a bunch of gearheads...

Sparkies Rule

and yeah.. I have a EE from Western Michigan university and I work as a controls engineer.

Basically I make industrial machinery do more than just sit and rust.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 02:09 PM
hehe, time for my overused engineering joke.

whats the difference between a Mechanical Engineer and a Civil Engineer?

Mechanicals build weapons, Civils build targets!!!
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/21/06 11:56 PM
Right now, I'm in a related career as an AF Electrician working toward an AS in Electrical/Mechanical engineering.

If they try to force cross train me into some stupid job when my contract is up, I'm going to go work toward an Electrical or Mechanical Engineering degree, but I haven't decided on Iowa State or University of Iowa... Haven't had a need to look into them much, except that they both offer engineering degrees.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/22/06 12:12 AM
Originally posted by APT:
Originally posted by ScottK:
Like Rara pointed out, a good Mech E can easily switch to any disicpline where a good Comp Sci/Eng major would have to bust there behind to ever switch to "real" engineering.

There is a huge difference in the curriculum of computer science and computer engineering degrees. Computer engineering is not that different than electrical, at least when when I got mine (1.5 semesters more). Computer science is/was quite different.

That said, Machanical or Electrical I would say are equal in their teachings of methods that can be applied towards the widest type of work.

Yeah, computer science is wayy different from computer engineering. I consider it basically EE with a dab of programming and a focus on digital design. Sounds pretty "real" to me

At UConn there is Computer Science, Computer Science and Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Electrical Engineering(actually they just recently changed the name to Electrical and Computer Engineering.) CS is software design, CSE is mostly software design with some circuitry. CompEngr is Mostly circuitry with some software design. EE is mostly circuitry and no software design. And by no software I mean nothing really after 2 years of the same stuff everyone else takes like two semesters of C++.
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/23/06 12:46 PM
I'm a Computer Engineer [not software, programming related]
My fathers a Civil Engineer
My Grandfather has a masters of Lubrication Engineering
My other Grandfather is/was a Industrial Engineer
the next 2 generations were all mechanical and automotive engineers

all college degreed

It kinda makes the whole education process easier when you've been born and breed for this stuff.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/23/06 12:55 PM
Originally posted by bensenvill:

and breed for this stuff.

Good thing because English is not your forte.
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Engineer Roll Call - 06/26/06 06:03 PM
Originally posted by bensenvill:

and breed for this stuff.

Good thing because English is not your forte.

I'm dyslexic... also part of the reason I chose engineering... words confuse me but I can read numbers just fine.
© CEG Archives