Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: T-RED 98 Universal Technical Insititute - 06/17/06 04:42 PM
Does anybody know anything about this school? Im thinking of attending in January. The main reason is the contacts with the upperend of the auto industry ...BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. Mostly the BMW STEP program.
Just looking for some real world opinions, before I drop a large chunk of $$ on this. Thanks.
Posted By: blakjak Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/17/06 05:06 PM
One of my buddy's went to UTI and went throught the BMW STEP program. He said it was excellent. Keep in mind, those are advanced courses, so you really need to learn and be way into it. I'm thinking about going, but will be going through the HOT ROD U thingy instead. I say go for it. He's 21 and making over 3 times as much as i do.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/17/06 05:49 PM
Striker2 here on CEG (Dan) is actually living here in Glendale Heights, Il. attending UTI.

Shoot him a PM........

Steve
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/17/06 06:02 PM
i have a few friends that went there here in Illinois. It is an amazing school under one condition. If you dont finish at the top of your class, you wont be going anywhere. Honestly thats how it was for a few friends. They didnt do too well and here they are working for muffler shops.
Posted By: Manch-VegasSVT Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/18/06 02:52 AM
I am currently attending the phoenix(avondale)campus, I don't think the school is as good as it used to be. it's all about making money for the share holders now.
don't get me wrong it deff. is a great school but for the amount of money it could be better. The thing I hate most is the fact that they treat us like high school kids, granted there are alot of ignorant, annoying teenagers but I'm almost 24 now.....
I was planning on attending an MSAT(like Mercedes, Audi, or BMW) but recently I've gotten a job at Porsche N.Scottsdale, and I think I might stick it out here and work my way up...... I still have about 6mos left so we'll see what happens...

If your planning on doing for the MSAT's,than that is the way to go, the classes here aren't really all that tough.thehardest thing is, is keeping your attendance up. I've had perfect attendace until recently and that is one of the most important factors for the MSAT's.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure what your plan is but the Phoenix campus is the only one that actually gives you a Assoc. degree when you graduate, the rest are only tech. school degree's or whatever they call em'..

If you have any questions, pm or email me....
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/19/06 03:13 PM
I attend UTI Orlando. I'm down to about 2.5 months left. So far, I've enjoyed it. It takes a lot of work to get into the MSAT programs. You really have to be dedicated in everything. Attendance, grades, professionalism, and a clean motor vehicle record. My friend just lost out on VW because of his driving record.

Definately make sure you keep ur attendance perfect. I've managed to do it up till this point and plan on keeping it that way.

Good luck,
Robert
Posted By: T-RED 98 Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/19/06 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the reply's, def, gained more insight.
How bad was your friends driving record? I have a few dings but they are all over 3 years old.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/19/06 05:12 PM
my friend went to UTI. Now works as a BMW tech making about 60gs/yr
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/20/06 04:56 AM
My friend got a couple tickets, moving violations, since he's been down here, mostly high end speeding tickets, but no DUI's, but he did get a careless or wreckless driving ticket, cant remember which it is.

If i remember correctly, 2 moving violations is the limit for most of the manufacturers, but absolutely no DUI's and 98% attendance. Most of them recquire 3.8 GPA min.

Good luck,
Robert
Posted By: T-RED 98 Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/20/06 05:18 AM
Originally posted by RobSVT-t:
If i remember correctly, 2 moving violations is the limit for most of the manufacturers, but absolutely no DUI's and 98% attendance. Most of them recquire 3.8 GPA min.

Good luck,
Robert

Hmm, the attendance thing is not a problem. the gpa isnt gonna be that hard,(im soo sick of my current profession, that it provides more motivation than needed.) Still have to check on the driving history. I would assume its whats on my insurance record and not my motor vehicle record?
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/21/06 12:11 AM
I believe it's the actual motor vehicle record. They only look back 2 years. So if that helps. A lot depends on what kind of moving violations they are. Speeding and wreckless they are going to take seriously, stupid stuff like signals and that kind of crud is taken lightly.

Robert
Posted By: T-RED 98 Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/22/06 08:26 AM
Thanks, I just got the enrollment - financial aid package today. So Im going thru all that. I called my advisor today to ask some questions,but just got his voice mail. Anyway two years will be fine. Just a parking on the pavement and a pending failure to keep right.
Posted By: azbobbybooshay10 Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/22/06 10:17 AM
It all depends on how you learn best. I'm currently attending Arizona Automotive Institute, the cross-town rival to UTI, and I've heard many horror stories about UTI. In Phoenix, the nickname "Un-Trained Idiots" is thrown around alot. Why that is, IDK. But I have heard their curriculum is something like 70% bookwork and only 30% lab, whereas AAI is a near perfect 50/50.

And if you're looking at UTI for the BMW stuff, AAI has the same connections as UTI with those carmakers. UTI just uses it as a marketing tool. Not to mention their courses are something like $23k now, whereas the same class here at AAI is about $16k, which includes your books, uniforms, tools when you graduate, etc.

If you're interested in AAI as well (might as well check out all options, right?), let me know and I'll gather some info for you.

Oh, I should throw this out there as well. At AAI, part of the normal curriculum involves high performance stuff (one of the engine instructors is also a Top Alcohol engine builder), whereas at UTI you have to pay extra for it (Hot Rod U). We also have a "car club" that you're automatically accepted into that can get you SEMA passes in the fall, and we build race cars for local racers.
Posted By: striker2 Re: Universal Technical Insititute - 06/22/06 01:09 PM
ok youve heard wrong about UTI.
first most classes are closer 70% hands on and 30% book work. and second the Hot Rod U/Super Street is also included in the auto course. UTI also has options to take auto, diesal, industrial, Ford FACT, Toyota TPAT, or any combination of them.

Toyata is only offered at the Illinois campus BTW. both the Ford and Toyota programs are excellent in electronics. the only downside to UTI is that its oriented to working at a dealer or shop. if your looking for more custom stuff then i would sugest looking at WYOTech (Friend went there and loved it). WYOTech as a campus in both Wyoming and PA.

Im going to UTI and when i graduate in a few months im gonna go back to Ky and work for a few months but then i will be going back to school for mechanical engineering.

if you have anymore Q's feel free to PM me
© CEG Archives