Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Blue Goose got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/06/06 02:08 AM
Talked to my dad today and he is very seriously looking at a late 70's MG (can't remember exact date, but I think 78). it has some aesthetic blemishes, nothing too major, about what you would expect for a 30 year old car, new paint would probally need to happen eventually but not too soon, some interior tears, a few rust spots but nothing too major. It started right up and runs a little rough but is ok there, he wasn't able to take it for a test drive yet but will before buying obviously. The only thing holding me back from saying go for it is i have heard these are the most unrelaible cars ever made. Is the reiablility really that bad? I know that it is not good but anyone out there own one that can say for sure? Anyone know what to look for before buying this? It has 48,000 miles on it. No clue about maintenance, but it was a Florida car then trailered up to International Falls, MN a while ago. the asking price is $1500. So with this low of a price and considering it drives decent, is it worth it? Are we going to be working on it after every time we drive it to fix it, or is it more reiable than that? So far we have had 2 '53 Chevy 3100 pickup, one still in our posession that we rebiult the engine, front end and tons of other stuff so we knows what were doing, but this will be a typical hobby car, and driven probally daily once it is running good in the summer. So once its running good, is it worth it, or are they waaaay too much constant maintenance? thanks.
Posted By: rouar Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/06/06 02:54 AM
My dad regularly says his '91 Miata reminds him strongly of his old MGB and his Sunbeam Tiger (both owned in the late 70s/early 80s), with the only exception that this one actually runs. If you're looking for a little roadster this is what I'd recommend, unless you're looking for a rare auto like the Midget or T-series. One of my friends has a '54 MG-TF and it's in beautiful condition, but its idiosyncrasies and special parts make it a bugger to maintain - I still haven't seen it on the road yet.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/06/06 03:26 AM
I know we sell the hell out of parts for them! I like the pre 74 chrome bumper models better, but thats my personnal opinion.

www.victoriabritish.com

Catalogs are free, so take one with you to see how much $$ you might end up spending on it before you buy.

Main problem is unreliable wiring, common on those old British cars. They are light with a small amount of power I hear they are fun to drive. Throw one of these on there and give unsuspecting Mustangs and Camaros a run(on the track of course) for their $$.

Might as well pickup (pun intended) a catalog for that 53 3100 also at our sister company www.lmctruck.com
Well , if there's anyone on the boards that can answer any question you have about MG's , it would be ME . I restore 'em for a living , so I've literally had my hands on hundreds of 'em .

Big question : Is it an MGB , or a Midget ??
I hope for your sake that it's an MGB , as the later Midgets aren't all they're cracked-up to be . If it's truly a 78 , it's an MGB , as Midgets were only made till '76 . There's a BIG difference between the two as far as what to look for and reliability , that's why it's a VERY important question .

I hate to disagree with Eric , but the wiring isn't that bad on MG's ... it's PEOPLE that are the problem . If you can get one that someone hasn't hacked , spliced , stripped , tapped & jacked with the wiring you'll do fine . Seriously , the wiring isn't anything to be scared of . It's simple & easy to fix correctly . When there's a wiring problem , look for dirty connectors - that's the main issue we see . People don't give MG's the credit they deserve . They CAN be reliable little cars . We have many customers that put loads of miles on their cars without issue .

Lemme know what year the car is & whether it's a Midget or MGB & I'll let you know what to look for & what to expect out of it . I'd rather take the time to educate you than to have you buy a bad car .

**EDIT** Almost forgot - don't waste your hard-earned wampum on that supercharger . The real world gains aren't worth the money spent & reliability issues involved . On a later (read:rubber-bumpered) MGB , you'll be MUCH better off doing some back-dating , like going back to the dual carbs like the earlier cars had (don't waste your $$ on the down-draught Weber carb) along with the proper dual-downpipe exhaust manifold , giving the engine an earlier-spec camshaft and throwing on a free-flow exhaust . Those are gains that you will greatly appreciate . We've done it more times than I can count , and ALL customers are happy with the difference .

Heck , I might as well throw in a shameless plug too - www.carriagecraft.com . It's needing an update (we're busy fixing MG's) , but that's our website .
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/06/06 01:23 PM
ok, thanks alot guys. I will get back to you on exactly what model and all Buddy, but a huge thanks for your help already. As for the catalog, it will probally be ordered as soon as we get the car, and we have at least 3 of the LMC truck catalogs laying around already!! thanks again guys, and I'll let you know how things pan out here.
You may want to look up (PM) Baco in the New England Area. He's owned a few MGs since I've known him on these boards. Eventually he got rid of them all, but I'm sure he'll know a thing or 2.

- Zack
If you're dad's looking at a 78 MGB then I would hope he did some research on them.

It's not that they are unreliable ... although I wouldn't make it a reliability number #1 ... all English sports from the 60's/70's can be highly unreliable. That's not why we buy them though ... these are fun classics, and half the fun is the work!

Now as long as he knows he will have to put some coin into the car at some point, and there's a possibilty of it being out of commission for some 6 weeks while you wait for stuff ... then it shouldn't really matter.

Personally I'm looking at getting an 88-93 Lotus Turbo Esprit in the near future ... again British sports ... LOTS of TLC will be needed.

One more thing ... British sports are made to be driven. Don't let it sit too much, also make sure you have a fire extinguisher in case the smoke escapes from the Lucas parts
Posted By: baco99 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/06/06 04:38 PM
Originally posted by zgendron:
You may want to look up (PM) Baco in the New England Area. He's owned a few MGs since I've known him on these boards. Eventually he got rid of them all, but I'm sure he'll know a thing or 2.

- Zack

Thanks. Once you confirmt he exact model, I can weigh in. In the mean time, re-read what Allen wrote above (in green). He's restored these things and knows a bit more than me.

Originally posted by baco99:
Originally posted by zgendron:

- Zack

Thanks. Once you confirmt he exact model, I can weigh in. In the mean time, re-read what Allen wrote above (in green). He's restored these things and knows a bit more than me.

I'll get my thoughts together & get ready to pass the big-list on to you , like I did for Brian .

If you're looking for some real power out of the MG , I just finished a doozie , and will have pics up soon . Keep your eyes peeled .
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/07/06 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

I hate to disagree with Eric , but the wiring isn't that bad on MG's ... it's PEOPLE that are the problem . If you can get one that someone hasn't hacked , spliced , stripped , tapped & jacked with the wiring you'll do fine . Seriously , the wiring isn't anything to be scared of . It's simple & easy to fix correctly . When there's a wiring problem , look for dirty connectors - that's the main issue we see . People don't give MG's the credit they deserve . They CAN be reliable little cars . We have many customers that put loads of miles on their cars without issue .

Disagree away! I in no way what-so-ever could qualify to be an expert. I just go with what I have heard, stereotypes so to speak. You have probably forgotten more about these cars than I will ever know! And thats perfectly ok with me.

Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

**EDIT** Almost forgot - don't waste your hard-earned wampum on that supercharger . The real world gains aren't worth the money spent & reliability issues involved .

It is interesting to hear the s/c isn't worth the $$. Again, I just thought the coolness factor was way high. But if I was doing a restoration, I woudl do my homework and probably draw the same conclusion you just pointed out.
Originally posted by Eric L:

It is interesting to hear the s/c isn't worth the $$. Again, I just thought the coolness factor was way high. But if I was doing a restoration, I woudl do my homework and probably draw the same conclusion you just pointed out.

The bling factor is certainly high with the supercharger , no doubt . Apart from that , I think the power gains are negligable , no matter WHAT is claimed by whoever you see selling the supercharger . I've driven many MUCH faster n/a MGBs , and their owners spent way less $$$ to get there . It's all about the "wow" factor , I guess . I was pretty darn disappointed in the supercharger setup , personally . I'm hoping we'll see more of 'em come through the shop , so eventually one will change my mind .
From my limited understanding, they have a Rover V8 conversion for those cars. I've seen one. I think it's lighter than the stock motor because it's aluminum.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/07/06 05:03 PM
I think that was the MGB GT right? That was a hauler IIRC.

I was actually looking at buying an 80 MGB. I loved that car, but went with the truck instead. Practicality over fun....
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/07/06 05:10 PM
Allright guys, I have the model and year: 1977 MGB, thats all taht my mom knew, if you need more info i could call my dad as he would definitly know more. He has been researching them and basically the only reason it isn't in our garage yet is becuase he hasn't gone for a test drive. I think he should get it IF it checks out with what you guys say to look for. For $1500, drop I'm guessing $2000 in it over the next few years?? I think we have spent at keast 3k on the '53 Chevy for the 4 years we've had it. Anyway, it would be awesome if you guys could get back to me on that. thanks!

EDIT: btw, my dad is a kind of guy that wants to keep everything completley stock unless is a needed mechanical upgrade (ex.-6 volt generator to 12v alternator on the '53 that we did). So there will be no performance mods in the name of hp, maybe for efficency but he will keep it as stock as he can I'm pretty sure. (he wouldn't even slightly upgrade the exhaust on the '53 when it was the same cost for the stock OEM) So keep that in mind too.
Posted By: baco99 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/08/06 01:16 AM
if it's a 77, it has the single Zenith-Stromberg Carb, 1-piece intake header, and 1-piece exhaust header like my 1979 had. my first suggestion is to trash everything that sucks air into the engine or spits it out. The 1975+ Z-S setup was lousy. Poor throttle response, poor quality, less power, and the manifolds were more prone to cracking.

i would highly suggest a dual-SU carb conversion or single Webber downdraft carb.

once you've updated the carb, upgrade the electricals a bit. you're running 12v in that car. increase the capacity by upping the alternator to at least 65 Amps. i think the factory unit was only good for 35-40 Amps. then upgrade the ignition, get new wires and plugs, clean the distributor and points, and check the timing.

once you have all that, you'll have a decent running ~80rwhp car that will be able to get out of its own way.

as for rust: the sills, doglegs, and upper front fenders are very prone. Check these areas thoroughly. The sills are especially important since they hold the car together on the convertible. these elements and the transmission tunnel are all that keep the engine from finding its way into the trunk! you'll have an MGB sandwich if you're not careful. And sill replacement is NOT as easy as it sounds. it is daunting because it has to look good and be strong.

finally, engine cooling: with a 77, i think you have a single electric fan for cooling. my 79 had 2 fans. my 74 had one mechanically operated by the crank pulley. whatever you have, get a bigger one and think about upgrading to a larger radiator core. MGB engines run hot. a big unit up front will keep the temps normal.

i'd try to pick the car up for $1200-$1300 considering you don't know the extent of the rust on MGBs until you look under the rug. And budget $3000 to fix it in case you need to replace the top and/or do any rust repair. the good thing is that well sorted MGBs are moving up in price. i've seen #3 cars on eBay sell for $5k-$6k depending on fit and finish.

and lastly, i have a box of spare MGB parts from my 79 that i am willing to send you for $10+shipping. PM me if interested. lots of extra nuts, bolts, hoses, brackets, etc...
Looks like Brian was paying attention to what I told him . I'll address a couple things .

Stay away from the Weber downdraft carb - I'll say it again - stay away from the Weber downdraft carb ! They don't work very well on MGBs no matter what you do . Spend your money doing the dual carb (back-date) conversion . You'll be glad you did . Add a back-dated cam swap & you'll be even more glad .

Aftermarket headers are a waste of $$$ also , unless they are a 3-2-1 design . The stock early-style cast iron manifold is BETTER than an aftermarket 4-into-1 header ... MUCH better (stock manifold is a 3-2-1 design , BTW) . It's been documented & dyno-proven many , many times through the years .

The '77 will have 2 electric fans up front , none on the engine . All rubber-bumper MGBs had the 2 fans w/the rad moved front , except for some early '75 cars , which retained the single fan on the engine . On the electric fan cars , we'll sometimes wire in a switch to allow the owner to turn the fans on at any time , just in case (relayed , of course) .

Upgrading the alternator is a good idea , but not what I'd call "necessary" . Installing a new/rebuilt one is always a good idea . At this point in it's life , the car's probably had the stock electronic ignition replaced (most likely with a pirrahna (sp?) ignition) . It will fail also , with no warning . A "Pertronics" ignition is a good replacement electronic ignition . New plugs , cap , rotor & wires is a no-brainer .

Go over ALL flexible fuel hoses ! Replace them with new , as they're probably old & cracked , even under the braiding . Replace the electric fuel pump if it hasn't had one VERY recently . That's a common failure item . Replace it with an O.E. replacement S.U. fuel pump , NOT some kind of generic "box-type" fuel pump . It will cause more trouble than it's worth , TRUST ME !!

Look the car over VERY CLOSELY for rust !!!!!!! Get down on your knees & look under the car . If it's a rusty car , walk away ! Like Brian said , it's VERY hard to replace the sills/rockers safely & correctly . We have a specially-made frame jig to keep the cars to spec while replacing those bits . The rockers are made up of 4 layers of pieces to make the car strong , as needed for a UNIBODY design to be safe . It cannot be fixed easily in your driveway . A quick check ... are there 2 seams/side under the doors ?? There should be one seam where the fender overlaps the rocker under the front of the door edge , and one seam under the rear edge of the door . If there's no seam , or only one ... someone's been covering up rust (= bad news) !!

Go over the braking system with a fine-toothed comb . If anything is suspect ... REPLACE IT . It's your safety ! Brake rotors come new at minimum thickness , so if they're pitted/warped , give it new ones . Brake hoses are cheap - replace 'em if they're not near-new . Check the rear metal brake pipes closely . They're often smashed shut by towtruck drivers that throw the hooks up over the rear axle to hook it down on the flatbed . If I've seen it once , I've seen it a million times .

Mechanicals are one thing , a rusty car is another . Haveing a solid car is THE most important thing !!!! Tell your dad NOT to worry about keeping it bone stock . Rubber bumper MGBs aren't worth enough to worry about that (sad , but true) . With a couple low-buck mods , it can be a VERY fun driver .

Please PM me with any/all concerns you or your dad have about the car . I'm always glad to help .
Posted By: baco99 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/08/06 03:02 AM
to echo what Allen said on the carbs, i've heard the dual SUs are the best option for Z-S conversions from other sources as well.

Also, to clarify, 1977 cars did not have a 3-2-1 header as earlier cars did. It was a 4-1 POS. Same with the intake manifold. I've heard VERY mixed results on aftermarket headers, shoot for an OEM design as Allen mentioned.

incidentally, the only reason i sold my 74 B GT was because of rust, the mechanical bits didn't scare me!

Originally posted by baco99:
Also, to clarify, 1977 cars did not have a 3-2-1 header as earlier cars did. It was a 4-1 POS.

It's actually a 3-into-1 ... siamese center exhaust leg on MG's , grasshopper . I know - picky , picky , LOL !! I did , however mistype it one time , so I'll let ya slide .

Thanks for clarifying the exhaust thoughts , Brian . I guess I was a bit unclear . I should've made it clear that later cars had a single-dump exhaust outta the cat . Good lookin' out .

Oh , and 3-into-1 exhausts always suck , over the 3-2-1 exhaust - no mixed results to the well-informed . Many (read:loads) papers I have read on MG tuning (some straight from the factory race-tuning team from back in the day) say that an early-style cast iron exhaust manifold/pipe setup flows as well as 3-2-1 headers .
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/08/06 12:18 PM
Allright guys, sounds good. I will probally forward this via email to my dad so he can read it for himself and make a decision. The rust scares me becuase in MN, everything rusts up there so I can hope it was stored for the winter. I have quite a bit of expirience with rust damage, but if its that hard to do, I agree that it is not worth buying the car. as for the carb and breathing mods, I think I could talk him into them, especially if he sees how slow it is when he first drives it. And I will get back to you on those parts Brian if we get the car. thanks alot guys, this is a huge help. I'll let ya know what happens with it.
Posted By: baco99 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/08/06 02:13 PM
HTH!

if you decide on the car, i have a completely rebuilt front end with complete braking system from a 1974 chrome MGB. It looks brand new and was never installed. requires slight modification to the body at the mount points for 1975+ cars because they had the chassis set up for a higher suspension. this setup will give you a better stance and better handling. includes: front crossmember, upper and lower arms, all bushings, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers and pads. ready to roll.

email or PM if interested. i've been sitting on it for 4 years and would like to see it put to good use. would require freight shipping.

Posted By: Blue Goose Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/16/06 03:12 PM
Ok, I showed my dad all the stuff and this was his responce-

"Your info was EXTREMELY helpful-THANK YOU so much!!!!

Mom and I took the MGB for a test drive on Sunday. It basically had no brakes and ran a bit rough but after shocking myself when I checked the plug wires I figured that was the reason it was missing!!!

Anyhow, Mom felt the car sat too low to the ground and would be too difficult to get in and out of on a regular basis. The steering wheel is only 6" off the seat so it sits in your gut. I told her I would have fun working on it and felt it would be worth my while but she just didn't think it would be very practical for her so we walked away from it. Probably a prudent thing to do as I really don't 'need' another project."

So basically he's not gonna go for it since it was gonna be for my mom since he has the '53 Chevy and motorcycle as a daily driver (when theres no snow on the ground.) And if she isn't gonna be real happy about it then I guess its not really worth it. Too bad, because from talking with him it has lots of potential and would be a fun car to work on. But thanks again for all your help guys, the info you gave helped alot with the decision.

hey there, i have a 1970 mgb gt in the process of being completely rebuilt. the block has been bored and has a racing cam in it along with a lot of other fun stuff. you can see a couple pics of it on my cardomain.
Posted By: baco99 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/19/06 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Teenage Contour:
Ok, I showed my dad all the stuff and this was his responce-

"Your info was EXTREMELY helpful-THANK YOU so much!!!!

Mom and I took the MGB for a test drive on Sunday. It basically had no brakes and ran a bit rough but after shocking myself when I checked the plug wires I figured that was the reason it was missing!!!

Brake pressure was a problem on mine too. The PO had mixed modern DOT 5 brake fluid with some older standard and the 2 didn't mix well causing the rubber to fail. I had a small leak coming from the master cylinder that would drop on my leg once in a while. Top it off with fluid and the brakes should be OK temporarily.

Anyhow, Mom felt the car sat too low to the ground and would be too difficult to get in and out of on a regular basis.

It's a sports car!

The steering wheel is only 6" off the seat so it sits in your gut.

Smaller diameter steering wheels can be had from Moss Motors or other suppliers for a couple bucks. Makes the steering a bit harder at slower speeds, but freesup room in the cockpit.

I told her I would have fun working on it and felt it would be worth my while but she just didn't think it would be very practical for her so we walked away from it. Probably a prudent thing to do as I really don't 'need' another project."

So basically he's not gonna go for it since it was gonna be for my mom since he has the '53 Chevy and motorcycle as a daily driver (when theres no snow on the ground.) And if she isn't gonna be real happy about it then I guess its not really worth it. Too bad, because from talking with him it has lots of potential and would be a fun car to work on. But thanks again for all your help guys, the info you gave helped alot with the decision.

Happy to help. Sorry it didn't work out in the end, but it's a good thing she looked at it. MGs are a breed for certain people and not others.

Based on her concerns, you might want to find a Triumph TR6 to work on instead. The pedals are closer together, but overall the cabin has more room. Sits a little higher off the ground too.

Good luck!
Also glad to help - anytime .

I'd stick with an MGB , personally , instead of a TR-6 . An MGB is a much more user-friendly unit . Don't get me wrong , I've owned a couple Triumphs & loved 'em , but I've learned from experience dealing with them both on a daily basis . MGB all the way . The TR-6 is harder to get in & out of , is a much more quirky car , more expensive to fix up and feels like a wet noodle compared to an MGB due to it's seperate frame (vs. the MBG's unibody - even when both comparatively rusty) .

If you want an interseting old-school British car - think Morris Minor . Fun car , LOADS of looks when you're driving it , it's a unibody car , you won't "see yourself" coming & going (i.e. you'll be the only one in town) , and room for 4 adults !
Posted By: baco99 Re: got a shot at a MG- is it worth it? - 06/20/06 02:35 PM
I'll throw down 10% with 10 other people on one of these MGs. We could swap weekends...
SV-R.... YUM!

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=12990
© CEG Archives