Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 01:20 PM
So I just got my wisdom teeth pulled. They put me out by first putting an IV in me, then adding some sedative or whatever to the IV line.

So pretty much I was half asleep the whole time, but I didn't feel a thing. I did hear him breaking the teeth, though... I was like "yeah!" when I heard it.

Anyway, I have to eat a "soft diet" for the next 5 days or so. I know yogurt, ice cream, and pudding are ok, but what other kinds of things can I eat?

----------

In other news, the SVT is sitting at 99,9xx miles right now, so pretty quick I'll be in the 100K mile club... and yes, even at 100K it'll cruise all day at nearly double the Stateside interstate limit with zero difficulties.

Just kinda makes you think "WTF?" when a diesel Audi wagon can outaccelerate me at those speeds.

----------

Back to the main topic, anyone have some advice? They gave me Percocet-5 (says "512" on pills), and as always, the military's "cure all" Motrin 800.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 01:23 PM
Frozen bag of veggies on the jaw does wonders for healing time. Needed to do it right after they were done though.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 01:29 PM
Ugh.... that was a fun experience. I had all 4 pulled and I didn't have great dental so I had to front money on it. Hence, no sedatives/painkillers other than local anesthesia. Really wasn't that bad, I didn't feel too much pain and it saved me quite a bit of dough. The worst part for me was definitely the following 5 days though. It absolutely sucks not being able to open your mouth. I recall eating alot of soup,rice,yogurt,smoothies, cereal, etc. Basically anything that could fit into a spoon and nothing bigger. I didn't worry to much about having food in my sutures, as I would usually just rinse them out after every "meal". But from what I hear, it's a different experience for everyone. Some have more pain during, more pain after, quicker rehab time, and so forth. As I said though, for me it was just the craps to not be able to open my mouth past a couple inches, not be able to talk normally, and I recall that only one side of my mouth swelled so I looked like some deformed boy-chipmunk, and it was during my first week of college. Oh the memories! Good luck.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 02:05 PM
I went out to dinner the night I had them out. Had a big plate of fetuccini alfredo with chicken and broccoli. I never needed my pain pills. I got lucky. Anyway, I don't really have any other suggestions because I was never on the mush diet. ARRRGH!!
Posted By: rouar Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 02:51 PM
I was awake for the procedure too (my parents don't react well to sedatives and I'm not willing to figure out quite yet if I inherited that). Four impacted wisdom teeth taken out in tenth grade. I did have an IV with something mild in it though. It's not the worst oral surgery I've had, actually went pretty quick given they were impacted (1/2 hour tops, I was in and out!).

As for foods: I actually found macaroni and cheese to be one of the easiest to eat (fresh cooked only; leftover microwaved stuff doesn't slide nearly as easily), particularly since it was warm and not cold. I had bowlfuls of it that weekend.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 03:04 PM
Spaghetti-Os and lots of chocolate shakes. That was my diet for a week. Had all 4 out, 2 pulled, 2 cut out. Put me completely under, thank god.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 04:49 PM
Drink Gatorade, lots and lots of Gatorade. It's got a decent enough sodium count that it can take the place of the saltwater gargle, plus it'll help keep you nicely hydrated while your diet is all askew. Shakes and smoothies, basically anything you need to suck through a straw, can cause complications, so I don't recommend that. Get pudding packs, applesauce, and soft scrambled eggs for protein. I never got into the prescription meds...I think I was doing 600mg of Tylenol and 400-600mg of Advil 3 times a day for about a week, plus the antibiotics.
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 05:48 PM
I lived off of scrambled eggs and cut up hash browns for days after I had mine removed.
Posted By: Pigeon Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 05:55 PM
I had mine done waaayyyy back in '92. I was given Tylenol with codeine (sp?) which I took, then took out the cotton rolls because I couldn't stand them and went to bed about 6pm (having had them out at 4). Woke up about 9 the next morning and made it 3 steps into the bathroom at a full run before I puked blood all over the bathroom - walls, floor, fixtures, mirror, everywhere. I apparently bled all night and swallowed the blood in my sleep, and that with the codeine made me sick. After about 24 hours though I was 100% fine and ate whatever I wanted, and my dentist told me mine were the hardest he'd ever done.

Scott
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 05:57 PM
Go to your local commissary and buy yourself some Banguet 99 cent meals. The soggy meat and runny mashed potatoes go down easy. Chicken Fried Steak is a good choice.

Pasta is also a good choice, just cut it up and swallow. No need to chew.

I had mine out the same exact way, IV sedation in a hopital. A little woosy after I got out but a nice nap made me feel better, take your pain pills, rest, and relax as I'm sure you have a good 3-days off duty.

Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 06:13 PM
I had 4 pulled while awake. I do not recommend it.

Applesauce, smashed up & overcooked ramen noodles, popsicles, mashed potatoes.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 07:24 PM
yeeee haw! I get mine pulled in a couple weeks, well i should say 1. One is impacted tsill and will need day surgery and than the other 2 will come out.

Thank god im covered with full dental, or else id think about keepin them in!
Posted By: owen_SVT Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 07:42 PM
I had mine out a few months ago. Got all 4 out and was under for it. As soon as i woke up i drank some orange juice then got in the car with my dad and went home...My girlfriend came over so i had to stay up with her for a little while. When i got home i cooked up some spaghetti-o's with meatballs and ate those...As soon as carolyn left i was out like a light haha. Slept for a couple hours but then later that night we went out to eat at TGI Fridays and i had some chicken strips and angel hair...I said no to a perscription of Vicadin and everything went perfect. The only time i took a pain killer was on the first night after i got back from TGI and i took two advil but thats it...I Went to work the next day and was eatin Burger King chicken nuggets with bbq sauce. Started drinkin out of a straw on the third day as well. The only part that sucked with mine is that one of the holes didnt clot so it kept bleeding for about 30 hours and the taste really got old. Went back into the Dr. and they just took the little clot out and then packed it with some gel stuff and it fixed it right up. One of the easiest things ive ever had to do.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 07:45 PM
I'm setting up an appointment to get all 4 pulled out asap. They are still buried deep within my gums....sweet
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 08:57 PM
Everyone getting them pulled, listen to what he is saying, and you'll be alright:

Originally posted by GT-Slow Pete:
I had 4 pulled while awake. I do not recommend it.

My 2 upper teeth were nearly fully grown in, 1 bottom one had just poked thru, and the last was still under the skin. Even though I was 25% awake or something, I could not feel a thing, just could hear the drill every now and then (and them snapping my teeth... SWEET! ).

----------

I listened to everything y'all said and had a friend run to the commissary for me. Got everything listed here. Only thing I don't have is the Spaghetti-Os, which I'll make sure to get since I love em anyway.

Just have one piece of advice for the guys getting it done... My mouth stopped bleeding about 4 hours after the surgery, just kept using the gauze pads or whatever they gave till then. No pain whatsoever after that (of course, could be the Percocet), but I did try to rinse my mouth out with tap water...

...What a MISTAKE!!! I was in so much pain for like 5 minutes. After that died down a bit, I took a Motrin and ate 2 things of applesauce and drank bottled water, using my tongue to keep the food/water away from the holes. Gonna start drinking the Gatorade tonight since Jeb mentioned it can take place of the salt water gargle.

Now I woke up after a 4 hour nap, and I feel great!
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 09:09 PM
I think I went through a half-dozen of the quart bottles of the stuff in a day, to give you an idea of intake. And FWIW, my aunt is an oral surgeon, and when I told her about it, she said it at least sounded like a valid concept; my boss was the one who told me to do it, and he said that everyone he'd recommended it to had had fast recoveries. YMMV, of course.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 10:10 PM
***If you don't like/want to see blood, then don't click on the link***

Forgot I took a pic of myself as soon as I got home... heh

http://www.likwid-kaneo.com/storage/random_pictures/22apr06/blood_yeah.jpg
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 10:34 PM
LOL Kane, I was going to ask if they gave you REAL pain meds or the military standard of Motrin, but you got the good stuff. Awesome. I am so sick of Tricare trying to cheat us with Motrin for every damn thing.
I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was in high school, and back when Champus would still allow us(dependants) to go the military dentist for oral surgery. They knocked my a$$ out too. It was weird cause for the last half hour of it, I think, I could hear everything, and feel them working in my mouth, but it didn't hurt and I couldn't open my eyes or say anything. Like I was paralyzed. Crazy.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Renee:
It was weird cause for the last half hour of it, I think, I could hear everything, and feel them working in my mouth, but it didn't hurt and I couldn't open my eyes or say anything. Like I was paralyzed. Crazy.

They put a cloth thing over my eyes so I couldn't see anything.
Posted By: TGO Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 11:35 PM
I had one pulled a while ago, the rest have since become impacted...but i just don't have the cash to do it. They only hurt sometimes, so i guess i really don't care either.

When i did have it pulled they knocked me out, and i tried to pickup the nurse when i woke up. I was like hey baby!

Didn't have any bleeding problems or eating either.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/22/06 11:44 PM
soft rolls and mashed potatoes were what I ate, as well as ice cream.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Wisdom Teeth - 05/23/06 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
***If you don't like/want to see blood, then don't click on the link***

Forgot I took a pic of myself as soon as I got home... heh

http://www.likwid-kaneo.com/storage/random_pictures/22apr06/blood_yeah.jpg

wheres the blood?

I WANT MORE!
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 02:18 PM
Bump

Just had mine done. My whole lip, chin and tounge is numb. And for some strange reason my parents are getting on to me for not taking the pain pill. I'll take it as soon as I can feel my tounge again. Idiots.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 02:45 PM
hehe they want you heavily drugged so they can go through your stuff!

You'll regret it if the pain comes on and the you have to wait a half hour or so for the pain pill to kick in.
Maybe they just don't want to deal with your inevitable whining. j/k
Posted By: FFE_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 03:42 PM
My Friend, We'll call him dumb a$$, 4 hours after surgery(all 4 cut out) had Cheese sticks and a full pitcher of beer . We then went to the movie X3

Any way I had pudding, scrabled eggs, anything thats soft. After 3 days I started to have more solides but I was really careful to chew with the front teeth, and take really small bites.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 03:44 PM
I pretty much lived on Spaghetti-Os and milkshakes for two weeks after mine were pulled.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 03:51 PM
i went to a new years eve party a couple of days after having mine out.
drank and ate all night.
never took any of my pain meds.
one of my wisdom teel had to be split to come out, too.
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 05:30 PM
it makes a big difference if they've already come in, or still impacted. I had 2 coming in, 2 impacted, and it didn't take me 2 weeks to get back to solids. I took my pain meds more for the, uh, "relaxing effects" than the pain (well, after the first day). my biggest problem was that I was running cross country that year, and it took me a week before my feet hitting the ground several thousand times on a dirt trail didn't send a shock into my gums. but even then, it was about a week. I think you get over it faster if you try to eat solids, toughen up the gums a little
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 06:52 PM
My experience was horrible! I had all 4 impacted that needed to be broken when they extracted them! The pain that was casued in that area went straight up my jaw and gave me horride head and ear aches.

Took the pain killers, but they weren't strong enough. I was fine after a week, followed all the instruction and cleaned the sockets after eating. Some how I ended up getting a bit of food trapped in the socket and when it healed over my face started swelling up again,this was two weeks after the surgery. Had to have the socket reopened and deal with the healing all over. What a mess!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 07:27 PM
Only advise. Bag of frozen veggies on the face immediately afterwards Works like a charm.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 07:46 PM
Watch the water! I decided at one point it was a good idea to rinse my mouth out...

WORST PAIN EVER!!!

Other than that, just had to get more Motrin 800 from them (woudln't give me any more Percocet... bastids!) due to my jaw bone hurting pretty bad.

No real problems with food... I just was careful with what I ate. Ramen noodles were my friend.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Watch the water! I decided at one point it was a good idea to rinse my mouth out...

WORST PAIN EVER!!!

Other than that, just had to get more Motrin 800 from them (woudln't give me any more Percocet... bastids!) due to my jaw bone hurting pretty bad.

No real problems with food... I just was careful with what I ate. Ramen noodles were my friend.

Yea, I read your post eariler, definatley avoiding tap water. The doctor suggested eating something cold after the surgery, so my parents took me to Steak N' Shake and got a shake. My sister and I got our wisdom teeth pulled at the same time. She went in first and five minuets later the doctor came in and said she did great. Kind of shocked me that it was that short of time to take out impacted teeth, mine should go even fast since I only had one impacted tooth. When I got into the surgery room, they hooked me up to an IV and what felt like a min later, he said I was done.

Since my first post I took a nap after taking the pain pills. Woke up again around 12ish and took another nap and finally woke up at 5. The only thing that is bothering me now is guase(sp?) I have to keep in my mouth to prevent me from swallowing my blood and thats it. I'm eating pudding, jello, and about to eat beef stew.
Posted By: Rishodi Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/25/06 10:13 PM
I had all four cut out a couple months after I graduated high school. I have a decent pain tolerance, but I insisted on being put all the way out for that one. What an experience it was - I couldn't stop the bleeding completely for several hours after the surgery, ate nothing but soft food for several days, and couldn't completely return to my usual diet for two weeks. I ate a lot of pudding, yogurt, and soup. Chicken noodle soup was good, as long as the chicken is very juicy and doesn't really need to be chewed.
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 02:02 AM
ramen noodles, lots of salt, open wounds, just be careful. the gauze should be able to come out by now, just keep your mouth shut, be gentle on the gums. soft/softer foods for a week or so should be good.

and I didn't get motrin, I got oxycodone. it was good stuff
Posted By: rouar Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Rishodi:
I couldn't stop the bleeding completely for several hours after the surgery

For three or four days I woke up coughing up blood and having a crusty bloody tongue because it would all creep down my throat while I was sleeping. This happened after every significant oral surgery I had (4 or 5), was pretty annoying.

GTO Pete - why was staying awake so horrible? I did it too, was in and out in 1/2 hour and actually awake and talking (though admittedly slightly dazed) immediately after the procedure.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 02:14 AM
Originally posted by platinum_drew:

I'm this <> close to declaring this drug my god.
heh
made me say "what pain?"
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 02:20 AM
Originally posted by platinum_drew:
ramen noodles, lots of salt, open wounds, just be careful. the gauze should be able to come out by now, just keep your mouth shut, be gentle on the gums. soft/softer foods for a week or so should be good.

Yea, nothing hard for me to chew for about a day or two. There's no more need for gauze, cause it stop bleeding.

I took hydrocodine twice, then my doctor called and said only to take it if I need to, only because it causes consitpation. And I'm taking penicillin and thats it. Most of the pain and swelling is gone now, just the healing part is left.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 02:34 AM
I was out cold for 6+ hours after the IV went in. Don't remember a damn thing either! Not even being gimped to the car. Pain was bearable, think I only took 1 of my Hydrocodone (sp?).

Did it on Wednesday afternoon, was eating Pizza by Friday. I had all 4 out too, and knock-on-wood no spurs or other complications.
Posted By: TJSwoboda Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 02:41 AM
Had mine pulled when I was 19, September '94. General anesthesia, all four popped right out with no problems and while the anesthesia had me feeling out of it for the rest of the day I was fine the next day. The back of my mouth felt weird, but no pain to speak of.

--T.J.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 10:21 AM
Guess I should mention also... it changed my diet.

Since my senior year in HS, I used to drink mad Dr Pepper... I would almost go crazy if I couldn't get it (before my senior year, it was Pepsi since I can remember).

Drank a little DP while it was still healing... oh man, can't touch the stuff anymore. Guess I lost my DP tooth or something

But it's good I guess... I've been stepping out of sodas by drinking Sprite every now and then, but haven't had much in the last 2 or 3 weeks, hopefully none soon.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 11:46 AM
I went to the dentist yesterday for a routine cleaning and some x-rays. They're getting pretty high tech there.
My xrays were all done digitally. Snapped the pic and it was immediately uploaded to the computer, and I saw the pics pop up on screen. No cavities!
Scheduling is all done by the hygenists now on screen after they're done your cleaning, and they have headsets to call on each other for assistance. I could vaguely hear two-way radio blips coming from her earpiece while she was doing my cleaning.

We had a discussion about how I'm passed what they call the cavity years. Then the dentist joked that with all the Mountain Dew kids drink these days, he's thinking they'll have to place the cavity years all the way to 60 I was like "mountain dew! that's good stuff!" He jokingly scolded me for ever drinking it.

Thank god for dental insurance though. Man is that place expensive!
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 12:01 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
They're getting pretty high tech there.

indeed! i went a couple weeks ago and they had just installed flat screen tv's into the overhead light thing that use to shine into your mouth. they would play a dvd movie while they worked on you. it rocked

~Andrew
Posted By: TJSwoboda Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 08:24 PM
Holy crap... When I was a kid, they'd actually let me come into the darkroom so I could watch the film get developed the good ol' fashioned way. Yeesh, I'm old...

--T.j.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Wisdom Teeth - 07/26/06 11:28 PM
Update: Milk is one of the best things you can drink after your wisdom is removed.
© CEG Archives