Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Okay..

out of town for business.. the hotel had an awesome wifi speed, so I crammed my HDD with all the ISOs I could find (yay me) but started to run out of space.

Just looking around, I looked at my computer management control panel and noticed a third 10Gb partition not assigned.

so.. I assigned the maximum space available to make a third partition (had c:, and d: at 10GB each). well.. in a moment of pure mental stupidity, I also clicked to "make partition active" and closed the window.

Because there were no instant abnormalities, I didn't even click! the laptop ran beautifully with the new 10gb E: partition, since it was already booted up... well.. I shut the laptop down and now restarting gives a dreaded ntldr is missing: CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

Now what? any cd bootable partition magic-type programs I could use to simply assign C: as the active partition again? THAT's ALL I need to do..

I REALLY don't wanna copy the few files ntldr looks for from windows and the root on to E:, then install windows from a CD on to E, to get it to boot for a while and assign C: as active, then remove the copies, etc.. That's a stretch as it is!

ANY help?

"Techie'z Toolkit 1.0" is your friend.

Google search for it. I will not post a direct link or other information about it because of forum rules.

You will be back up and running in no time with that CD.
Fdisk from a boot disk should work too. Might not work if you have ntfs formatted partitions though.
it might. It'll just read them as non dos partitions. I have no idea if you can make it primary (active) though.
Every partition is NTFS.. so blech on that.

Thanks for the heads up on that, CSVT.. I'll see what I can dig up on that program.

No boot disk other than the XP install disk. Can you access FDISK from the repair console on that?

Any other suggestions?
the ultimate boot cd might help i just found it recently on the net

it has alot of fuctionality
its worth checking into its based of windows xp so it might help

just do a search for this
Originally posted by Ray:
Every partition is NTFS.. so blech on that.

Thanks for the heads up on that, CSVT.. I'll see what I can dig up on that program.

No boot disk other than the XP install disk. Can you access FDISK from the repair console on that?

Any other suggestions?

FDISK is not available for XP, so that's a no go on the recovery console.
UBCD is a good tool and I can't remember off hand if there is a tool that will fix the ntldr. You need to find a copy of Partition Magic and boot off the CD in order to change the boot partition back to its original status.
Originally posted by AznSZBanana:
UBCD is a good tool and I can't remember off hand if there is a tool that will fix the ntldr. You need to find a copy of Partition Magic and boot off the CD in order to change the boot partition back to its original status.

*cough**cough* Techie'z Toolkit.
let me drive your car once and I will fix it for ya...but I don't tell ya how until then.
google
-Ultimate Boot CD Ver 3.4
burn iso

boot to cd
select file system Tools (F3)
select Smart BootManager V3.7.1 (3)
arrow down, and highlight what partition you want as primary
hit F4 (sets active partition)
hit F2 to save

you should be set hit power button remove cd, your should be set.
i knew ubcd woulfd work

you thinks thats bad i unknowingly set my computer to hybernate after a minute but i was late lastnight i guess i don't know why i would do something that stupid
but i forgot i did it and all day to day (8 times) i walked away from the computer came back and it was off i though it was something serious like a psu or something and while i was thinkinh the computer went into hybernation and then i knew what it was
© CEG Archives