Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Steeda. Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 05:43 PM
So im gonna quit my job becuase I'm like 99% im moving to vegas in June.

Question is do i wait for my Raise april 15th before i say something or after?

For those who don't know im the Lead tech for like the whole US for my company and would assume replacing me when already short handed is gonna be a task. So im gonna give them atleast a month notice.

Thoughts?
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 05:53 PM
what does it matter if you quit before or after your raise? If your moving your moving....
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 05:55 PM
Well i think if i tell them Im quiting prior to the raise I won't get it for the last 2 months.

Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 05:56 PM
well two months isnt a long time, it would have to be a pretty big raise in that case than
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 05:58 PM
I would say don't rock the boat, this sounds like a good reference.

Now if you weren't definitely leaving, I've often told my boss I'm quitting because of wages and been given a raise or one-off bonus. In fact one place I worked I was earning double what some of my colleagues were because of this.

The risk is though, it all depends on how valuable THEY see you. I've known guys do it and simply be shown the door.

It's like the old saying, if you rock the boat make sure you're holding both the oars!
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 05:59 PM
Well im not leaving until memorial dayish unless i get this other job out there. soo im gonna stay working until i leave.

Question is to give them 2 months notice to find a suitable replacement? or to give them less notice as I only need to give them 2 weeks.

and if i give them 2 months i don't think i will get as big of a raise.

Right now im the Highest Paid Tech in the company and the Second highest paid employee in michigan
Posted By: jtour Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 06:13 PM
True dont burn any bridges. I would give them plenty of notice. You never know what can happen. You could possibly be working for the same people in a different company so leave on good terms always.

Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 06:32 PM
Wait til after April 15th.

Most people only give a 2 week notice, regardless of how difficult it would be to replace them.
If the employer needs the employee for more time, then they try to negotiate that.

Giving them a month's notice is plenty as far as I'm concerned.

Are your plans really that solid that you will definitely leave in June?
Waiting a little longer, rather than giving your notice right now, might be beneficial in case something comes up that prevents you from the Vegas plans.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 06:33 PM
well i pretty much have to be there before june 12th as thats when school starts.
Posted By: 00 SVEET Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 08:22 PM
It's been my experience that if you give more than 2 weeks notice, the company finds an immediate replacement, and you are out the door. They won't/don't want you around for that period of time that you aren't in full work mode.... Wait for the raise, and tell them when you are 110% sure you are leaving. Not before, otherwise you may be home for Easter, instead of Memorial day !!! Remember, you are a "highest paid" employee. They can live with a few learning curve mistakes for less money on a newbie.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 03/31/06 08:32 PM
They tried to hire a newbie before and this guy set off 4 airbags, put a 1990 bronco in the repair shop for a week, and many other little things.

There is a reason i am the highest paid, i was also hired in at a high pay than anyone else
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 04/01/06 08:21 AM
seems like you have your mind made up as it is.
Posted By: SquareHead Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 04/01/06 03:49 PM
Don't burn the bridge. You might want to use this employer as a reference in the future. You might want to take your EGO down a few notches as well. Play it cool with your new employer. Give your current job two weeks notice. Don't ask for a raise then leave, that makes you look really petty.
Remember: nobody is Indespensible.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Raise/Quit job question? - 04/01/06 04:08 PM
Sorry EGO stays where it is.

and im not asking for a raise i get one once a year. I told him 2 months ago if i didn't get over a dollar raise i was out!

If I get this other job in Vegas ill be doing the same stuff I was doing in the USAF except getting paid alot more!
© CEG Archives