Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GTO Pete FAQ - Hazing headlights - 03/29/04 12:09 AM
A common problem with headlights is that they "haze" or "yellow" over time and/or "spiderweb" or crack. This is the UV coating deteriorating.

The headlights are coated with a UV film/protectant of some kind, and constant exposure to the elements (sun, rain, snow, etc.) deteriorates the UV film/protectant which results in the yellowish haze that develops.

Approach the UV coating just like you would the clearcoat on your paint.

If it is physically damaged, as in cracked or scratched, you have to remove the coating down below the defect. Then you can restore it.

Below is a "How-to" compiled from personal experience as well as using the Search to see how other CEGers tackled the problem.

This pertains primarily to 98+ headlights, but should also work for pre-98 as well.

The easiest way to prevent this from occurring is to wax your lights every so often.
I wax my headlights every time I wax my car (every 3-4 weeks), and my headlights look brand new after 3 ? years.

Now, if your headlights have already hazed over, you have several options:

1. Buy new headlights ? obviously the most expensive way. But the easiest way out.

Bill Jenkins
www.SignatureLM.com
parts@signaturelm.com
800-876-3280 x272

Be sure to tell him you are from CEG to receive the CEG discount.

**Use the following instructions at your own risk.**

2. Use a plastic cleaner and plastic polish

If your headlights are not too hazed over, this should be your first step prior to resorting to sanding (Option 3).
This way you are starting with the least abrasive method of removing the haze before using anything more abrasive such as sandpaper.

Several CEGers have successfully used plastic cleaners and polishes to remedy the hazy headlights.

Some products used:
Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish
Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Cleaner #17
Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish #10

Meguiar?s Clear Plastic Collection is only a few dollars more than purchasing just #17 and #10 individually.

3. Wetsand the headlights

Many CEGers have successfully used similar methods as the one below.

What you will need:
- 1000 grit wetsanding paper ? available at most auto stores
- 1500 grit wetsanding paper ? available at most auto stores
- 2000 grit westsanding paper ? available at most auto stores
- small bucket or spray bottle with water
- car wash soap
- sponge
- rags
- wax
- applicators
- Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Cleaner #17 & Polish #10 ? Option #1
- rubbing compound ? fine cut & polishing compound ? Option #2

* Note: You want to take your time and be as thorough as possible through this process. You don?t want to have to start all over again or repeat steps because you skimped on a step or two.

1. Wash
Wash your headlights to remove all dirt, debris, etc. You want the headlight to be clean. Dry them off and examine them, noting the areas that contain the most haze. These are the areas you will need to focus your wetsanding. Give those areas a feel with your hands to see what the haze feels like.

2. Remove headlight (optional)
You may want to remove the headlights from the car ? this will allow you to avoid accidentally sanding the paint on your car, and it allows you to place the headlight in a more comfortable working surface.

3. Water
Use the bucket or spray bottle of water to dampen the headlights, and slightly dampen the sandpaper.

4. Sand
Use the 1000 grit sandpaper and begin sanding. Be sure to take your time and be thorough, especially in the areas with the most haziness.

**Sand in different directions - horizontally, vertically, etc. to get the best sanding "coverage".

You?ll probably be nervous about using sandpaper on your headlights, but rest assured, they will come out better looking than when they were hazey.

5. Rinse
Rinse off the headlight and examine them. You should see fine ?scuffs? and ?scratches? from the sandpaper, but again, don?t worry. Feel the headlight ? they should feel smoother than before.

6. Sand
Move onto the 1500 grit sandpaper and begin sanding. Be sure to take your time and be thorough, especially in the areas with the most haziness.

7. Rinse
Rinse off the headlight and examine them. You should see fine ?scuffs? and ?scratches? from the sandpaper, but again, don?t worry. Feel the headlight ? they should feel smoother than before.

8. Sand
Use the 2000 grit sandpaper and begin sanding. Be sure to take your time and be thorough, especially in the areas with the most haziness.

Take your time. This is the final stage of sanding, so you want to be thorough as you do not want to have to go back and repeat this process again. Rinse, dry, observe (visually and with your fingers) areas that need to be further sanded, and sand.

9. Wash and dry
Wash and dry the headlight.

* Now you have 2 Options at this point:

Option a:
10a. Rubbing compound ? fine cut
Use some type of rubbing compound to smooth out the sanding marks. Do not use a heavy cut/coarse rubbing compound as it will only add scuffs/scratches.

11a. Polishing compound
Use some type of polishing compound further clean up the surface and give it a shine.

* If you have a buffer handy, you may want to try using it instead of applying the compounds by hand.

Option b:
10b.Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish
OR
10b. Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Cleaner #17
Removes any fine swirl marks / fine lines.
and
11b. Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Clear Plasitic Polish #10
Restores the shine on the surface of your headlights.

**You can use Option a, then use Option b afterwards.

12. Wax
The best way to prevent hazing of your headlights is to use some kind of protectant.

I would recommend waxing your headlights whenever you wax your car to provide them with protection from the environment.

* One CEGer stated that Carnuba wax will "yellow" clear plastics over time, and should be avoided on the headlights.

13. Reattach headlight if necessary

14. Repeat for other headlight

Other "Methods"
drerok: rub your headlights with Automatic Transmission Fluid

Kremitthefrog: rubbing compound every 6-9 months

Phil Rohtla: Another way from MustangWeekly.com:
Light kit

Proof thÿ
Posted By: cvkillacontour98 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 04/05/04 04:27 PM
i wet sanded with 600 grit and recoated with an outdoor gloss clear coat spary. im going to have my friend that works in a body shop do it later on since the can stuff probally wont last as long. but its been like 2 or 3 months and it still looks good. i live in central florida and its real hot out here and my car is always parked outside. i ot pics on my car doman link below.
Posted By: ContourStrike Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 04/18/04 06:31 AM
I've done mostly every step involved in this faq, except that after the rubbing compound, I used 2 coats of Blue Magic's "plastic and plexiglass cleaner and light scratch cleaner".
It seemed to really do a great job of cleaning up and making the plastic shiny. It's really just an even finer rubbing compound. You can also use this stuff on scratched cds in case you're really sloppy with them like I am (rub from inside to out!).
On another note... using toothpaste (note: paste) to remove scratches works too on cds and presumably on the headlights, in case you don't want to buy this or don't find the product.
Hope I've aided somehow.
Posted By: chongo Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 04/22/04 02:30 AM
Pre 98 Headlights.

Hi all I just did mine. Thanks to this FAQ I knew what to do.
I Started with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit and finished with 2000 grit.

When all sanding was done, I tried Meguiars Plastx and was not impressed with it, as it still showed scratches.
I went back to the store and bought Plexus.

Here are the photos.

After finishing with 2000 grit.

After appling Meguairs Plastx. Clear but not crystal.

After appling Plexus. Crystal clear.

I know the images are dark but the lighting was the same in the Meguair and Plexus pics.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/20/04 05:05 AM
I put my seal of approval on the Meguiar's PlastX.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/20/04 06:32 AM
Meguiars PlastX and the typical sanding process.

Makes a hellofa difference in person.
Posted By: yungin16TX Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/27/04 05:02 AM
you sand the outside right?

i mean.. it seems like it would be impossible to sand the inside of the headlight....

yeah yeah yeah i know, i'll go check the level's of my blinker-fluid next

Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/27/04 01:50 PM
Heh, yes you sand the outside, just go to ur auto store, they should have all the sand grits you need, as well as a plastic cleaner/polish. Just wash down the headlight, dip the piece of sandpaper your working with in a bowl of warm water, and sand side to side, then move on to another area. On a side note, I noticed that the more coats of polish I used the better it looked. I put a few more coats on the lights even after the finished pic I posted and it looks even better than the pics. I regret that I didn't do this earlier, it's so easy and helps the look of the car sooo much. Anyone with even slightly hazed headlights should do this, whether it be a Contique or not.
Posted By: Stryker Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/27/04 01:52 PM
my headlights arent hazed, but i have some kind of slearcoat on them that is starting to peel at the tops...
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/27/04 03:32 PM
I agree with Plato. More coats of PlastX the better.
Posted By: unisys12 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/27/04 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Stryker:
my headlights arent hazed, but i have some kind of slearcoat on them that is starting to peel at the tops...

That is the UV protectent that is doing that. If you read some of the older posts on this topic, you will see it refered to as, "Crows Feet". This is what got the whole sanding your headlights craze going. And really and truely, it is the only real reason you should sand you lights. Most of the other products mentioned should remove any normal hazing caused by the deteriation of the plastic. In other words, try the products by themselves first. If that does not reld the results that you are looking for, then you should go to the next step, which is sanding.
Posted By: Stryker Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 05/27/04 05:18 PM
well its not bad, and i wax them everytime i wax my car (once a month or so). it seems to have stopped dead in its tracks...
Posted By: Kasey Chang Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 06/04/04 04:10 PM
Not sure if you guys have read this little article:

http://www.properautocare.com/plaslenclean.html

It sells something, but it's not that expensive...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 06/04/04 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Kasey Chang:
Not sure if you guys have read this little article:

http://www.properautocare.com/plaslenclean.html

It sells something, but it's not that expensive...

WHAT A RIP OFF!!! ILL STICK TO SANDING AND POLISH
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 06/04/04 10:17 PM
Not for $35.
Posted By: Mark 77 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/04/04 08:14 PM
Quite funny that the coating that's supposed to prevent the hazing is the thing that makes them look bad. I'm changeing my headlights ,becouse they leak and get moisture inside everytime it rains, which is about every day this summer .
Posted By: ContourStrike Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/04/04 10:24 PM
Guys.. there's a final step that really makes the headlights clear as funk.
Turle Wax Formula 2001 Super Protectant.
This thing is basically armor all which makes rubber and plastic really greasy looking but in the plastics case.. really CLEAR. This crap lasts maybe only for 2 weeks until a new coat is needed, but for a show car clearness... this is the way to go.
Maybe someone knows of something similar to this but better? This works especially well if you did a shoddy sand job. Oh.. and this stuff blocks UV rays.
Posted By: darpinian Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/04/04 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ContourStrike:
This thing is basically armor all which makes rubber and plastic really greasy looking but in the plastics case.. really CLEAR. This crap lasts maybe only for 2 weeks until a new coat is needed, but for a show car clearness... this is the way to go.
Maybe someone knows of something similar to this but better? This works especially well if you did a shoddy sand job. Oh.. and this stuff blocks UV rays.

Meguiars Tire Shine did the trick for me...and that was about a month ago...I haven't had to respray them since then.

~darp~
Posted By: ContourStrike Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/05/04 12:51 AM
Originally posted by darpinian:

Meguiars Tire Shine did the trick for me...and that was about a month ago...I haven't had to respray them since then.

~darp~

ahh yes tire shine. I used eagle one tire shine. That stuff didn't last as long and the clarity wasn't as great.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/05/04 01:00 AM

Word!

I bought a roll/pack of pre-soaked sheets of that stuff for a few bucks. Been using it for about a year, my headlights are crystal clear. Even though turtle wax seems to be hated on CEG, i say this stuff is great for headlights, and any sort of was is better than nothing...
Posted By: CAMLRDR Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/13/04 10:03 PM
i found what heled mine shine was meguires tire shine its called like hot spray or something it has a adjustable nozzle.. spray on rub on it works relly good
Posted By: AquaFBody Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/19/04 10:31 PM
Meguiars plastx works miricals
Posted By: shady180 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/20/04 06:24 AM
Originally posted by AquaFBody:
Meguiars plastx works miricals

I'll second that, cleaned my lights up REALLY nice.
Posted By: SVTbullet Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/23/04 01:34 AM
Yeah, so i read the guide on how to de-haze your headlights, i took the assembly out, and i wetsanded using plexus glass cleaner and i started with 1000 grit, then went to 1500 grit, now my headlights are completely hazed and look ugly, where did I mess up? And before i go to steve mullins and order new headlights, can I salvage this, or did i permanantly screw it up???
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 07/28/04 01:33 PM
Put the Meguiars PlastX cleaner and polish on there and you'll be fine. Mine looked like crap after the dehazing, but the polish is what really makes em shine. For a temporary and extra clean look, throw some tire shine on there as well. PlastX should be found at a local auto/motorcycle parts store, just call ahead and ask around, as it's not exactly fully stocked at every store you go to.
Posted By: phattysvt Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 08/01/04 06:13 AM
u use that maguires on the inside right.. prolly a dumb ? , just wanted to make sure
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 08/01/04 06:25 AM
inside of the headlight? Then you'd have to completely disassemble your light and cut through the seal. Bad idea , specially if you're just trying to dehaze. Just sand the outside down a few times, put the polish on a few times and you're good to go! Very, very simple procedure fella's
Posted By: southernfred Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 08/10/04 01:31 PM
I USED THE THREE STEP CLEANER, POLISHER, WAX, BY Maguires , I WENT OVER THE HEADLIGHTS WITH THE FIRST STEP, THE CLEANER, 3 TIMES AND REMOVED A LARGE PORTION OF HAZE EFFORTLESSLY! JUST AN IDEA, OR IS IT A BAD ONE? OHH AND IF THEIR ARE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT THE THREE STEP BY MAGUIRES, IT IS THE BEST CLEANER POLISH WAX I HAVE EVER USED WELL WORTH MY TIME AND MONEY, MY CAR LOOKS A HUNDRED TIMES BETTER AFTER NEVER BEING WAXED...I JUST GOT IT, I COULD TELL
Posted By: SpliceVW Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 08/12/04 02:21 PM
Posted By: Garagejunkie Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 08/18/04 05:55 AM
Just did the 4 step process on my 96 contour. The headlights were really yellow and this made them turn out like new ....Thanks
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/01/04 04:51 AM
Wet sanding worked wonders. I think I'm gonna do it again though soon and buy the meguair's cleaner as I only got the polish.:::
Wet sand (1500 then 2000 IIRC), rubbing compound, and then polish is what I did.
Posted By: bubba_zetectour Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/12/04 01:17 AM
wet sanding really does the trick, my headlights were looking pretty shabby, then i hadnt really seen this FAQ section yet, but my uncle and cousin told me i could do this and it would bring alot of it out....and boy did it ever, looks almost as good as new headlights, i would definetly reccomend this to anyone with hazed lights. welp, guess thats about it, later.
Posted By: itskub Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/16/04 12:20 AM
at home depot they only have 100, 150 and 200 sandpaper, would this work?
Posted By: TronX Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/16/04 12:24 AM
Originally posted by itskub:

I think those would scratch the plastic?
Goto any AutoParts store.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/16/04 12:31 AM
Originally posted by TronX:

I think those would scratch the plastic?
Goto any AutoParts store.

Isn't that the point?.... j/k

Go to an Auto parts store for finer grit paper as ^ mentioned
Posted By: JB1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/17/04 06:16 PM

are you sure about that? did you look in the paint dept or the hardware dept? if you went to hardware then go to the paint dept. also make sure that you are actually looking at the wet sandpaper as the two types are generally right next to each other.
Posted By: TomNJ_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/24/04 02:50 PM
Thanks for this tip.....
I did one headlight and where it does not look 'new', it sure looks a lot better and is very passable. I wonder what used car dealers, etc do? Is there a formalized process or a solvent to strip the lights? That may be quicker & better than sanding. Anyone???
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 09/24/04 04:21 PM
From what I've heard, they usually h ave their detail guy sand it down real quick with a buffer, and then use some type of plastic polish/wax with buffer, and you're good to go. Basically, the same thing we do, but faster, and with better equipment.
Posted By: airmangoose Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 10/14/04 04:56 AM
Originally posted by phattysvt:
u use that maguires on the inside right.. prolly a dumb ? , just wanted to make sure

Dude why do you even open yourself to be made fun of
Posted By: TronX Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 10/14/04 05:23 PM
Well.. when I did mine it was night and day better. Some people asked my wife what I was doing to the car because it looks brand new..LOL! All I did was wetsand with 1500 grit and then buffed it off with cheap Turtle Wax. I'm sure it could look 5% better if I used a 2000 grit and a plastic restorer, but I'm tight on money.

Here was my post.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aesthetics&Number=729096&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=1
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 10/15/04 05:32 PM
Another possible fix.......I got this tip from a guy who restores pinball machines, and he says that the plexi goes from bad to "good as new."
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 10/15/04 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
Another possible fix.......I got this tip from a guy who restores pinball machines, and he says that the plexi goes from bad to "good as new."

what?
Posted By: TronX Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 10/15/04 09:02 PM
I think he is saying you can do the same hazing headlights mod for the Plexi-Glass used on pinball machines.

Does anyone have a pinball machine?
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 10/18/04 05:46 PM
Sorry, forgot the link.....

http://www.noscratch.com/novus/
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 12/26/04 03:12 AM
Just did mine tonight. They look much better....but still not crystal clear.

Before:

After:

Thanks to ImageShack for [URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Free Image Hosting
Posted By: muntus Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 12/31/04 08:46 AM
Hey CSVT985, those things look great! Did you use hot or cold water? And when do you put in the fabric softener? During the rinse cycle?
Posted By: mcfast Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 12/31/04 02:26 PM
Originally posted by muntus:
Hey CSVT985, those things look great! Did you use hot or cold water? And when do you put in the fabric softener? During the rinse cycle?

Thats funny!
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/03/05 03:26 PM
I used the gentle warm cycle. Then I used tide color and bleach. The spin cycle made a horrible racket - but boy they look good now!!
Posted By: BradfordScales Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/23/05 05:37 AM
Newb here. Just throwing in my experience with plexiglass improvement. Almost all general aviation windows are high grade plexiglass. It follows the line of what you've all been discussing here. There is a kit product called
"MicroMesh". Ever finer specialized cloths with a foam rubber backing block. We are talking FAA approved repair for obtaining the ultimate visual perfection to hazed and crazed plexiglass products and their close kin.
Not cheap and not worth it for the individual probably but if you detail or are tasked with cleaning up a lot of plexiglass to like new condition there is nothing better!
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/23/05 05:41 AM
it would probably be helpful if you said where you can buy the kit
Posted By: BradfordScales Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/23/05 03:09 PM
OK try this....Right click on the beginning of the word MicroMesh, drag the cursor across the word to make it all bright and pretty blue, put the cursor on the blue box and rt click, click copy. Now here's the tricky part. (whisper) "The word is now stored in your finger tip"!!
Go to a search engine , put the cursor in the little box that says search, rt click, now, ready for this? Click on paste and the word "MicroMesh" leaps out of your finger tip into the little box!!!! Click the word and voila (that means shazzam!) You have dozens of places to find and purchase MicroMesh !!!
Posted By: ridered81 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/23/05 05:22 PM
Originally posted by BradfordScales:
OK try this.... Right click on the beginning of the word MicroMesh, drag the cursor across the word to make it all bright and pretty blue, put the cursor on the blue box and rt click, click copy. Now here's the tricky part. (whisper) "The word is now stored in your finger tip"!!
Go to a search engine , put the cursor in the little box that says search, rt click, now, ready for this? Click on paste and the word "MicroMesh" leaps out of your finger tip into the little box!!!! Click the word and voila (that means shazzam!) You have dozens of places to find and purchase MicroMesh !!!

you mean left click
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/23/05 08:59 PM
Originally posted by ridered81:
you mean left click

Bwahh hahahaha!! BradfordScales, you got owned!
Posted By: BradfordScales Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/24/05 06:50 PM
EXCUSE ME grasshopper. But thats how I choose to set up my mouse!

In my advancing years I forgot that whatever your elders do is somehow not appropriate.

Owned? Somehow I doubt any y'all could even hold my leash.

You're welcome....ya dweeb!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/24/05 08:10 PM
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: FAQ - Hazing headlights - 01/25/05 12:55 AM
MY.. aren't *we* off to a good start on CEG..

Ray

© CEG Archives