Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Cris'pus Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 02:04 AM
I know you can switch them with a pre-98, but can you just paint over the 98+ ones.
Posted By: Kevdogg410 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 02:15 AM
yes.. a lot of people have.. with the color that matches their body paint.. it looks A LOT better in my opinion.. I have pre's on my car.. I am thinkin about picking up an extra set of posts and seeing what I can do..
Posted By: OutlawdSVT_dup1 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 02:17 AM
I have a 2000 and I painted mine by using 1200 grit sandpaper and then spqurt the flavor on it.
Good Luck
Posted By: jthursby Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 02:25 AM
Plastics are simple to paint. Just make sure to use an appropriate plastic primer or it will come off just as easy! Check the labels as some are for "soft" plastics and some for the stiffer versions.

Jim
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 04:26 AM
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 05:45 AM
Originally posted by t-red2000se:

Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 05:07 PM
Yes I think you noticed the lack of centercap too hector. But thanks for the painted sail, but do you like the black ring around it?
Posted By: MLK Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 09:54 PM
been toying with the idea of painting my calipers and sails the same fire red on my SF SVT just haven't gotten around to doing it yet
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 09:55 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZ2.0:

Just showing an example...
Besides, Davo7 has those ugly ass wheels now!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/08/03 11:21 PM
Are there any more examples?
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 12:37 AM
Originally posted by bc_mondeo:
Are there any more examples?

[image]http://www.contour.org/carprofile/profilepic.php?id=116[/image]

Painted black. Just shot a few coats of automotive spray paint on there and a coat of clear coat

EDIT: Picture won't show just copy and paste the address
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 01:01 AM
I went to the local paint store and bought SEM "Honda black bumper paint". It is an exact match the surrounding finishes. It is a semi-gloss, hard but flexible paint meant to recoat the black trim strips on the fronts and rear of cars. I also used it to paint the rear chrome trim strip!

Oh, and I had the paint shop make up some high temp Toreador red paint for my calipers, front trim ring, and engine parts. Bought some expensize clearcoat and went to town. Heres a pic that should give you an idea of texture and color of the SEM honda black paint:

Posted By: TBoomer Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 02:06 AM
Originally posted by SVT:

Your car is tight, man!
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 03:03 AM
Use lotsa clearcoat, and tape it off really well!!!
Posted By: DeepDishSVT_dup1 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 03:12 PM

Dude, do yourself a favor. Paint it black.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 09:22 PM
Just curious. I'm sure it has been debated before, but I gotta ask. What the hell is wrong with the 98+ sail panels? I think the pre98 sail panels look cheap and sh!t so I can kinda understand messin' with those. But what the hell is wrong with the sail panels on post 98's? Just lookin' for some justification. Not that it really matters to me. Just...curious I guess. I sure as hell couldn't see swapping post98's with pre98's. That just seems bass ackwards!!
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 10:20 PM
Originally posted by DeepDishSVT:

Dude, do yourself a favor. Paint it black.

not until you pay my car payment.
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/09/03 11:38 PM
I think for me, I wanted to paint them because I didn't like the fake plastic carbon looking stuff. Plus more people are curious about the car since I painted them black. My brother is looking for a car and we went to a toyota dealer to look at a used Maxima. Out of the corner of my eye and from across the lot I saw three salesmen walking around the car and talking amoungst themselves. As we were leaving, one of them came runnning up and asked what kind of car it was and wanted to know if I was trading it in. I liked the black because it looked a little more subtle. T-red2000, thanks for the compliment. If you like the red, run with it, it's your car!
Posted By: MCconnection cc Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/10/03 10:29 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. I like the look of the 98+ pannels. Maybe thats cause I don't have a SVT... damn svt guys...
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/11/03 05:33 AM
Originally posted by MCconnection cc:
Exactly what I was thinking. I like the look of the 98+ pannels. Maybe thats cause I don't have a SVT... damn svt guys...

I like my pre 98 sails!
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/12/03 01:23 AM
I think for me, I wanted to paint them because I didn't like the fake plastic carbon looking stuff. Plus more people are curious about the car since I painted them black. My brother is looking for a car and we went to a toyota dealer to look at a used Maxima. Out of the corner of my eye and from across the lot I saw three salesmen walking around the car and talking amoungst themselves. As we were leaving, one of them came runnning up and asked what kind of car it was and wanted to know if I was trading it in. I liked the black because it looked a little more subtle. T-red2000, thanks for the compliment. If you like the red, run with it, it's your car!

Same here sorta, I don't want others to know it was a contour. I've already badged mine a Mondeo in the rear.
Posted By: dsickles123456789_dup1 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/13/03 01:02 AM
my car is debadged and now people say "wow what kinda taurus is that!?!" it really pisses me off
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/13/03 11:36 PM
I went to the local paint store and bought SEM "Honda black bumper paint". It is an exact match the surrounding finishes. It is a semi-gloss, hard but flexible paint meant to recoat the black trim strips on the fronts and rear of cars. I also used it to paint the rear chrome trim strip!

Oh, and I had the paint shop make up some high temp Toreador red paint for my calipers, front trim ring, and engine parts. Bought some expensize clearcoat and went to town. Heres a pic that should give you an idea of texture and color of the SEM honda black paint:

http://www.fototime.com/7E6D10430912606/orig.jpg

Hey, how hard is it to remove the chrome strip to repaint it? And what grit sandpaper did you use to remove the chrome, or did you use muriac acid? That black looks great.
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/14/03 12:24 AM
Open the trunk, there are like 6 nuts that hold the rear license plate/reflector/chrome strip piece as a whole. Then I masked off the Ford emblem and rear relector/license plate panel. I used a 400 grit paper to scuff up the chrome before painting.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/14/03 04:41 PM
Open the trunk, there are like 6 nuts that hold the rear license plate/reflector/chrome strip piece as a whole. Then I masked off the Ford emblem and rear relector/license plate panel. I used a 400 grit paper to scuff up the chrome before painting.

Do you need to lay any plastic primer down first, or can you get away with just the paint?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/14/03 05:11 PM
Originally posted by TommySVT:

Do you need to lay any plastic primer down first, or can you get away with just the paint?

You can get away with just paint.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 05/30/03 04:50 AM

What do you ask for at the dealer? "SEM black bumper paint"
or what? How much in what type of bottle? Spray or Can?
Posted By: ridebmxcsvt Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/01/03 07:06 AM
i just painted my side sails and my chrome trunk thing yesterday.i went to autozone, got soe semi gloss spray paint and some clear coat, removed everything and taped it off, sanded it lightly. then did a few layers of paint, clear coat, then another layer of paint. looks like it came from the factory that way.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/03/03 02:32 AM
I'm not too knowledgeable on painting. Why would you paint over clearcoat. Isn't clearcoat going to seal it?
Posted By: ridebmxcsvt Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/03/03 06:21 AM
you dont have to paitn over the clearcoat. cause i liked the more flat looking black and the clearcoat made it look cheap and shiny.so i just painted it again so the protection is still their i guess, just my own personal preference
Posted By: auiotour Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/03/03 06:46 AM
Originally posted by MCconnection cc:

got my 95er a set of post98 sails, thanks ripper
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/03/03 11:21 PM
The paint I used is by SEM, the color is "Honda Black" "bumper coater" product number 39293. It is a nice quality paint. The texture/color are perfect for matching the existing trim around the windows and rear of the car.

OOOpppps looks like my fototime account was purged!
Posted By: CSVTeeznuts Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/04/03 09:51 PM
Guys, guys..... don't waste your time painting your sails. Its dangerous, permanent, and won't necessarily come out the way you invisioned. Go to a decal store around you, im sure you can find one. Tell them you want a black or carbon fiber decal to cover your rear sails. They will meseaure and create it. I spent $20 for the two, the guy put them on for me, and they will last 4 years before any visible wearing! Looks great, like real carbon fiber. Good luck, stay away from paint!

Johnny SVT
Posted By: N-terst8 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/04/03 10:00 PM
CSV have a pic?
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/05/03 12:34 AM
I'm interested in knowing how this is dangerous...do tell.
Posted By: ridebmxcsvt Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/05/03 04:45 PM
actually its funny that you say that. i have three really good friends who work at 3dcargrapfx, they will be in the next sport compact car. they do simply awesome work.i pant my sidesails but i didnt want to pay for front and rear ford symbols so i had them make me two ovals that instead of saying ford they say svt in silver with a carbon fiber backround and they came out awesome. i also got carbon fiber for my centercaps and to cover the 24valve highout put square things. pics of the car are gonna get posted tonight.
Posted By: Matt2kSVT_dup1 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/13/03 02:43 PM
Originally posted by CSVTeeznuts:
carbon fiber decal to cover your rear sails.

Like this?

Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/13/03 04:08 PM
Can you get a closer upper of that?!
Posted By: Nate S Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/13/03 05:15 PM
Originally posted by dsickles123456789:
my car is debadged and now people say "wow what kinda taurus is that!?!" it really pisses me off

ahha all i've debadged is the "GL" and my dumbass friend was like "what kind of car do you have? a taurus?" even though his taurus was sitting right next to my contour in the damn driveway dumb people suck.
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/13/03 07:12 PM
I'd rather have that carbon fiber or something exactly like the post 98 sail panels, all smooth but without saying Contour on them...I don't get whats so special about pre98 sail panels, why do you want that bumper a$$ ugly thing?

Also, when I got my truck towed some dude but my car as a grey honda accord! wtf?!? My car is not even grey its champagne and its a freakin ford not a honda and they also look NOTHING alike. I have had my car called a Taurus before though...I'm gonna have to start slapping these people.
Posted By: Nate S Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/15/03 06:41 PM
whats a good price for post 98 sail panels off an SVT ?
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/16/03 04:36 AM
I do believe that SVT sails are the same as non-SVT sails, so just look for some one who wants to trade.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/16/03 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Nate S:
whats a good price for post 98 sail panels off an SVT ?

All the post 98 Contours had the same sail panels.
Posted By: Nate S Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/16/03 07:09 PM
ahah ok let me rephrase this then: whats a good price for post 98 sail panels?
Posted By: auiotour Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/16/03 08:02 PM
i have some if you want them, make me an offer.
Posted By: joecaffeine Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/19/03 02:37 AM
what does it look like without the sail panels?
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/19/03 02:50 AM
I should take a pcture right now then, I'm waiting for mine from "95gl". I was thinking tho, while they are off, if you just 'filled in the gap'. Maybe someone could photoshop that???
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Can you paint sail panels - 06/19/03 02:50 AM
Bare metal with holes into the car. Sail panels are not optional.
© CEG Archives