Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: yankeyspeed_dup1 Fender vents - 03/18/03 03:46 AM
Has anybody opened their fenders(Z-3ish) ? I was thinking about doing somthing like this but I wondered if it would help performance?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 03:50 AM
i know 2 people have opened up the drivers side fender to allow cold air to enter into the intake. a guy from fco with a black svt and red flame job has it. his car was on ebay just last week. and nclx_notch here from se michigan also did basically the same thing on a silver non svt here locally.
Posted By: 94ex Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 04:20 AM
Also a while back Deroke(screen name) was trying to get a group buy going on for something like this for tours. Not sure what happened to it.
Posted By: 2G Sport_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 04:22 AM
Don't forget Rick's car!

Posted By: cliffjohnson_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 04:26 AM
did these people notice any difference? it seems like a good idea.
Posted By: m!key Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 05:45 AM
Originally posted by 2G Sport:
Don't forget Rick's car!

dude, i saw that yesterday on FCO and i never got an answer back from the guy. that is something i would like to know how to do.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 09:23 AM
I have never seen that car before. That looks sweet!!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 11:23 AM
That doesn't look too bad and there completely functional when moving, seeing how they're angled;) Theres alot of hotrod customizers that do that hood louvering, I wonder how much that cost
Posted By: jocatz_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 01:24 PM
That's all fine and good but the louvers are facing the wrong way! The openings should be to the rear of the vehicle. Having them the way they are is just asking for trouble. Why do you think they call the snorkels on dragsters Bug Catchers (and the really BIG ones bird catchers). Every little bit of CRUD will get caught in there. You get the same benefits with out as much negative affects with the louvers facing the rear. Look at ALL factory louvers; they all face rear and most are indents (like the Z3). Nice concept, poor execution.
Posted By: 18psi2300 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 02:14 PM
Originally posted by jocatz:
Nice concept, poor execution.

It's not there for looks.
It's there for a ram air effect. After, riding in the car before and after, it definately made a few hp (and looks cool in the process ).

Originally posted by jocatz:
Having them the way they are is just asking for trouble. Why do you think they call the snorkels on dragsters Bug Catchers (and the really BIG ones bird catchers). Every little bit of CRUD will get caught in there.

There hasn't been a "CRUD" problem. But it's only been on there about a year...maybe we'll have to wait a few more before it shows up...
Posted By: 18psi2300 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mikey boy:
dude, i saw that yesterday on FCO and i never got an answer back from the guy. that is something i would like to know how to do.

Rick's comin over tonight to work on the 3.0, I'll let him know you're interested mikey.
Posted By: m!key Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 03:58 PM
thanks man!
Posted By: Shifty GT40 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Blackie:
Originally posted by mikey boy:

Rick's comin over tonight to work on the 3.0, I'll let him know you're interested mikey.

The louvers are punched using a hydraulic press with a dye and cutting blade. You take the panel off the car and run it through the press wherever you want an opening. Shops that have these presses can be hard to find anymore, but they'll usually charge you about $1 per louver.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 04:53 PM
now what about moving those vents back further, they look ugly as [censored].
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 05:53 PM
Originally posted by auiotour:
now what about moving those vents back further, they look ugly as [censored].

Any further back and they wouldn't feed the fender area that feeds the filter. Form follows function.
Posted By: cliffjohnson_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/18/03 09:05 PM
check out the hood vents on this focus, i would like to have something like that done tme my SVT.

http://www.team-ma.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2129&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Fender vents - 03/19/03 12:24 AM
Is that a photoshop or what? Those foglights are HUGE
Posted By: R96SE Re: Fender vents - 03/19/03 02:17 AM
Well to get right to the point,I faced them this way because I wanted to pick up as much air as possible.I wanted to use 2 inch louvers but was unable to because of the shape of the fender, meaning it curves or starts to roll up and you need a flat surface to work with.

To those who think this is done wrong,well you need to first under stand that ram air is done in two ways if it functional.Facing forwards and facing backwards.I have had to cars from way back when that had ram air. 70 ford Tornio
GT and a 70 Trans am. The Torino ram air faced forwards and the trans am face backwards. "YOU TELL ME WHO'S RIGHT"

This is real and works very well,the back side of the fender has under coat on it and has a screen right at the louvers to keep out all but air, this is done right from the start.

This does cost more than a buck a louver,to just have that done it was like 75.00 so keep that in mind then you have paint, rust proofing and what ever you will be useing for piping to the air box Later R96SE
Posted By: cliffjohnson_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/19/03 03:20 AM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
Is that a photoshop or what? Those foglights are HUGE

yeah they are big huh? it's no shop though b/c they have other pics posted in other treads and they are the same. i like the looks of those vents, they really work well wtih the shape and lines of the hood.
Posted By: yankeyspeed_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/19/03 03:33 AM
I was thinking about behind the fenders small size kinda like a 70s style vette. Just a simple opening. Yeah those lights are huge. Those vents are ok, I like mine better.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/19/03 05:51 AM
I have a fender scoop that I came up with and had a friend do for me. If somebody can post them I will email pics (don't know how to post pictures). Thanks
Posted By: IonNinja Re: Fender vents - 03/20/03 05:56 AM
they're big bcuz they're from the Mitsubishi Evo Lancer...thats what kind of bumper that is
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/21/03 11:37 PM
I think they look very good. I like the subtle look better than aggressive vents. Nice job!
Posted By: R96SE Re: Fender vents - 03/23/03 01:05 AM
Don't forget Rick's car!

So any more of you out there with real ram air!!!
Let see what you got

R96SE
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: Fender vents - 03/23/03 02:15 AM
you still need someone to host your pics
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Fender vents - 03/23/03 11:02 PM
Originally posted by R96SE:
Don't forget Rick's car!

Let see what you got

R96SE

question...did he do both fenders? or just the left...cuz doin both would serve no purpose except to match...unless u have twein ram airs...
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Fender vents - 03/23/03 11:02 PM
Originally posted by R96SE:
Don't forget Rick's car!

Let see what you got

R96SE

question...did he do both fenders? or just the left...cuz doin both would serve no purpose except to match...unless u have twin ram airs...
Posted By: civic_smoker Re: Fender vents - 03/23/03 11:03 PM
damn, i keep posting twice...
Posted By: R96SE Re: Fender vents - 03/24/03 12:29 AM
Nope just the left side, really no need to do the right side.

R96SE
Posted By: yankeyspeed_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/24/03 01:50 AM
Nice.. I have an SVT intake also did the louvres help? also what did you use for hose from the fender to the air cleaner? Do you suck up mach rain water like that?
Posted By: KnuKonceptz_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/24/03 05:41 AM
Ricks louvers really do suck.... you can feel the air get pulled in when he revs the motor. They are truely functional and I am sure it's helping to keep the intake temp lower then any other aftermarket CAI out there can provide
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/24/03 05:58 AM
Originally posted by lmaoatmy95gl:
you still need someone to host your pics

Yes I still need someone.
Posted By: 2G Sport_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/24/03 02:18 PM
Originally posted by KnuKonceptz:
Ricks louvers really do suck....

LOL!
Posted By: UncommonTour Re: Fender vents - 03/24/03 02:36 PM
I wouldn't mind doing that but I think mine will be sunken in
Posted By: yankeyspeed_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/25/03 02:17 AM
Yeah I still think I will put mine behind the wheel. Less ram air effect but also less rain,sleet effect as well. Now where is that die grinder?
Posted By: R96SE Re: Fender vents - 03/26/03 12:59 AM
Originally posted by yankeyspeed:
Nice.. I have an SVT intake also did the louvres help? also what did you use for hose from the fender to the air cleaner? Do you suck up mach rain water like that?

I used fexable carb air tubing that you would use on any car that would have a carb. I do not get any rain or bugs what so ever I have 3 screens in place and a small hole in the hard round rubber adapter that is mounted to the fender,this will allow rain to excape out befor the maf.

It works great no rain or bugs ay all

R96SE
Posted By: yankeyspeed_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/26/03 03:04 AM
Good option with the screen. How hard is it to get the fender off?
Posted By: R96SE Re: Fender vents - 03/26/03 03:36 AM
Originally posted by yankeyspeed:
Good option with the screen. How hard is it to get the fender off?

Not at all hard you will need to remove all bolts on the under side of hood then remove the inner well liner then there is three bolts that mount to the inner of the body by the back side of the door one of them is on the under side of the body,then there are two that mount to the front or the side of the front bumber cover. you see if you look at it.

R96SE
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/26/03 05:36 PM
Here is a couple links to pics of my fender. Props to Mikey boy for hosting pics. Thanks man

http://www.fototime.com/{67901AB9-87FD-4D5B-97D3-BE49A2886C95}/picture.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/{EB2E9B00-5C7F-4274-B973-5E410B7E2495}/picture.JPG

Posted By: m!key Re: Fender vents - 03/26/03 05:40 PM
no problem man. i saw your set up last spring zing and really liked it. good job.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/26/03 05:56 PM
Thanks I am hoping to run a custom intake here within the next few weeks. Thanks again.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Fender vents - 03/27/03 03:27 AM
That looks awsome! how hard or much was it to get it that way?
Posted By: yankeyspeed_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/27/03 03:46 AM
Well Im going to do it. I have to wait, my wife will shoot me if I start another car project before the kitchen gets finished.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/27/03 05:12 AM
It didn't cost me anything. My friend made it for me. We just swapped favors.
Posted By: yankeyspeed_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/28/03 03:25 AM
Are you going to the Dyno in Lansing? I would like to see it better.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 03/28/03 06:31 AM
No sorry I won't be able to make it. I am going to Pauls high performance in Jackson at the end of next month. I am getting some inquirys about this and we may make a few and try to sell them. Would anyone be intrested? Just getting an idea. Thanks
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Fender vents - 03/29/03 06:24 AM
yeah.....for a 96 tour!!!!
Posted By: Rahmel Re: Fender vents - 04/03/03 06:38 AM
I'm interested in getting one made (98SVT) I also wanted to know how you think that type of set up would be with the street flight turbo? Thanks
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Fender vents - 04/03/03 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Rahmel:
I'm interested in getting one made (98SVT) I also wanted to know how you think that type of set up would be with the street flight turbo? Thanks

This depends on placement of the filter on the turbo system. I am not that familiar yet with the system layout. But anything can be modded to fit.
I make the fender you mod the filter.
I talked to my friend today and we just might be able to make a few. No promises!
© CEG Archives