Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pole120 Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 06:02 PM
I've been considderig it for some time and i'm going to give it a shot here soon....just looking for opinions on the stlye.

After completing my SVT this spring i did not have wiper arms or blades on for about a week and couldn't get over how clean it made the car look...of course the first rain came and on they went and stayed.

I've got three cowel sections sitting at home and if i decide to do this i'm going to do it right....

As much as i like the no-wiper cleanliness i can't justify it on the car as it's a daily ride, however the mono may be my best choice.

My attempt would include:
1) modifying the wiper cowel to accomidate a wider sweep of the center arm as well as completly deleting the drivers side arm and it's pocket in the panel for a smooth OEM look . Will also shave all non-functional louvers in the cowel, smooth it and paint it to match the car.

2) Adjusting the length of the mechanical linkage and pivot point to swing the arm the full width of the windshield while still stopping it at the base of the widshield.

3) Re-finishing the arm in gloss black powdercoat to match the paint

So....

What do you think?
I think it's going to be sweet, do it!
I'm not sure how i feel, mock it up and post a vid and i'll decide if i like it or not.
I don't approve at all.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 06:05 PM
if you do that then make sure u get a vanity plate that states "RICER"
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

.. and i think its illegal in some state/province
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 07:07 PM
Single-wiper FTL!!!

Mark
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 07:36 PM
No thanks!

Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 08:15 PM
This is one of those design change things that I wish had never happened. If you remember back in the 70s and 80s, the wipers were recessed under the trailing edge of the hood. I never understood why they started exposing the wiper assembly. If it was for aerodynamics, well, I would think the exposed wiper assembly would disrupt the airflow more than the gap from the back of the hood to the windshield.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 08:15 PM
Soo, the McLaren F1 is considered a rice car...

I think not! If you make it flow w/ the car, I'd say go for it. Besides your not losing much other than a wiper arm, and maybe some sweat.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 08:24 PM
Originally posted by KerryKool:

Total rice!
Posted By: Beans_dup1 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 08:35 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

Total rice!

Prolly got 2 coffee cans on the back
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 08:55 PM
interesting, I was all ready to break out my flame-thrower... josh you were the last one on my list I would've expected to post this.

DO IT!!

I've never seen anyone with a uni-wiper thats attempted to put class/thought/effort/style into it. something tells me it will turn out good
I think it will give the car more of an "odd" look rather than clean. I agree that no wipers (and no nubs coming through the cowl) would look nice and clean, but with one wiper, people look at it as if something is odd. Of course this is just my take at it.
could we call that mods "retro-rice style" since it was rice like 10year ago... just after the everybody gots "black headlight cover"
haha, those black headlight covers look like @$$ on everything...I wonder how those ever caught on...
Posted By: m4gician Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 09:29 PM

I think not! If you make it flow w/ the car, I'd say go for it. Besides your not losing much other than a wiper arm, and maybe some sweat.

you devil's advocate mother fu....
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 09:31 PM
Why dont you try building upa cowling over the wipers? to try and hide them a bit.

Audi's have a nice system going that hide them, at least my dads A4 does.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 09:31 PM

No tinted tails for you!!

Well, i'll try it and see how it works/looks, if i don't like it my modifiactions are reversable.
Posted By: m4gician Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/28/06 09:51 PM
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Pole120:

No tinted tails for you!!

Well, i'll try it and see how it works/looks, if i don't like it my modifiactions are reversable.

I just dont think it'll suite a contour, mono wiper has turned more into a ricer thing now IMO

oh man, dont ditch me on my tails
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 02:20 AM
Fix your retarded huge empty sig!! Driving me crazy!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 02:27 AM
I think if you do it right (which I know you would) it would look good.
Posted By: m!key Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 02:37 AM
dont listen to these [censored] ers. here is a clue to doing it right. 1990 E Class.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 03:08 AM
Originally posted by m!key:
dont listen to these [censored] ers. here is a clue to doing it right. 1990 E Class.

the CLK I detailed had it too, freaked the living be-jesus outa me! it look ok on it..

Posted By: m4gician Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 04:08 AM
once again...

Originally posted by m4gician:

Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 04:57 AM
once again...

once again....you suck at internet j/k

atleast i can't see s***....anyone else?
Posted By: rouar Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 12:03 PM
Originally posted by m!key:

One of the Mondy guys retrofitted his wiper motor and arms so that it did "something" to the effect of a MB wiper (the only difference being that it pointed straight vertical in the center of the windshield when off, and it didn't have the MB adjustable-length wiper to sweep the far corners of the windshield). It looked interesting, but certainly better done than the gigantic typical ricer single wipers.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 12:14 PM
Notice that on that MB, the wiper is dead center on the cowl!! Unless you plan to move the entire wiper assembly and motor, you're stuck with using an extension for the driver's side wiper. Yuck!

Mark

No, the F1 has the goods to back it up, as well as a windshield that just doesn't need a second wiper arm. (Note the position of the driver's seat.)

By your logic, any feature of the F1 should be OK to tack on to any other car, and not be called rice. Sorry, but I call BS on that one.

Also, as for the "recessed wipers" idea: Yeah, I remember that from my Grandparents' Buick.

As for Pole's mono-wiper...

...At first I was thinking, "alright, a flame war!" but then I saw who the poster was, and I thought, "well, if anybody can pull it off..."

Pole, I've read too much BS since this thread started so I can't remember. Are you planning to have the arm rest at "full down" when the wipers are off? I'm afraid any other arrangement will just look silly.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Unless you plan to move the entire wiper assembly and motor, you're stuck with using an extension for the driver's side wiper. Yuck!

Mark

No, you remove the drivers side wiper completly.....follow what i'm getting at?
Posted By: tsSVT Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 07:20 PM
I think it could be really cool if like stated above it fit very close to the cowl,and doesn't stick up to high on the windshield.After seeing what your TB's look like, if anyone can do it I'm sure you can.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 09:34 PM
Originally posted by tsSVT:
I think it could be really cool if like stated above it fit very close to the cowl,and doesn't stick up to high on the windshield.After seeing what your TB's look like, if anyone can do it I'm sure you can.

Thanks for the complement.

Let me state one more time, i'm not just going to rotate the center arm up to sweep the full with of the windshield, i'm going to modify the linkages under the cowel so it weeps the full width and stops as low as i can get it to the bottom of the windshield.

Sales are slow at the moment so after i get my air\oil seperator installed and tested i'll be workig on this and a Mirko repair i've been meaning to finish.

~Josh
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/29/06 11:42 PM

Sales are slow at the moment so after i get my air\oil seperator installed and tested i'll be workig on this and a Mirko repair i've been meaning to finish.

~Josh

and making those coveted Mirko Skid plates...I hope
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 08/30/06 09:18 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
Are you planning to have the arm rest at "full down" when the wipers are off?

i'm not just going to rotate the center arm up to sweep the full with of the windshield, i'm going to modify the linkages under the cowel so it sweeps the full width and stops as low as i can get it to the bottom of the windshield.

Sorry i missed this earlier.....
Just use rain-x. I put it on the windsheild once every couple weeks and even in hard rain i don't have to touch my wipers
Are you planning to have the arm rest at "full down" when the wipers are off?

i'm not just going to rotate the center arm up to sweep the full with of the windshield, i'm going to modify the linkages under the cowel so it sweeps the full width and stops as low as i can get it to the bottom of the windshield.

Sorry i missed this earlier.....

S'alright. I got my own answer. I just couldn't see your original post when I was writing mine. Too lazy/tired at the time to edit.

All sounds good, except... I'm never sure about people painting the black parts to match the body. I've seen the sail panels and the mirror bases painted this way, and I didn't care for it. Messes up the lines, IMHO. I'm afraid the cowl will do the same, unless, of course, your car is Black. I'm not sure about filling the fake vent slots, either. There will still be slots on the other side, but now they'll be hanging out there by themselves... Plans?

Just rambling, here.
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Mono-wiper...your thoughts please.... - 09/02/06 09:56 AM
I'm never sure about people painting the black parts to match the body. I've seen the sail panels and the mirror bases painted this way, and I didn't care for it. Messes up the lines, IMHO. I'm afraid the cowl will do the same, unless, of course, your car is Black. I'm not sure about filling the fake vent slots, either. There will still be slots on the other side, but now they'll be hanging out there by themselves... Plans?

yeah....it's black

I got slammed with work to do this week at the shop so i wont be looking at this untill next weekend.

~Josh
© CEG Archives